We Essentially Have The Same Players Next Year | Page 3 | The Boneyard

We Essentially Have The Same Players Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If only because their surnames are the same, I'm hoping next year can resemble 97-98: Hamilton can become a second or third team AA like Rip, Adams is an immediate force like KEA, and Brimah can just be a solid force down low like Jake.

Then Facey can dip into his inner KFreeman and then all the other guys just throw in what they can.

There, it will work perfectly! :)
I was drinking the koolaid until you got to Facey and KFree.

Reaction Score
Kellogg had me reading it wrong as he did very little. Could have been a nice bench guy if he could have kept his head on straight, you're right. Hayes was a nice piece of the puzzle
Kellogg was a 2 guard who forced to play PG.

Reaction Score
Well, the comparison was to 2009, when we had Edwards as a junior and Austrie as a senior. Those guys made meaningful contributions as 10-20 mpg guys (Austrie more after Dyson got hurt).

The issue isn't that Facey is behind Edwards and Samuel is behind Austrie on their career trajectories -- they are likely to end up comparable as seniors, probably even better.

The issue is that sophomore Edwards and sophomore Austrie were end-of-the-bench guys, while sophomore Facey and sophomore Samuel are starters and 25 mpg players. We're counting on guys to do much more than their "heyday" counterparts did at the same stage in their career.

So the failure isn't in getting guys like Edwards/Facey and Samuel/Austrie. The failure is in not having the "Thabeet/Adrien" or "Price/Kemba" who relegated that caliber of player to the bench for the early part of their career.
Gotcha.

They key will be development and recruits. Hopefully, neither TSam or Facey are starters next year because that means Adams is as good as advertised and Stone is a Husky.

Reaction Score
Tenspro2002 said:
The difference is that the "reaches" you describe in 2002 accounted for maybe 10-20 minutes per game, total. This year, that same caliber of player is receiving 10-20 minutes per game each. (The 2009 comparison isn't quite as apt -- Edwards is better than Facey and Austrie is better than TSam/Cassell.)

The reason the reaches didn't play in 2002 was that our top six fulfilled expectations. If Gordon wasn't good as a freshman, we'd have had to play Hazelton more and use Tony at the point more. If Okafor was as raw on D as he was on O, we'd have played Brown and Hayes a lot more. I loved Taliek, but he definitely underperformed based on projection coming in, so it isn't even like our top six were flawless. They were just plenty good enough to win - with the reaches not needing to do any more than hold the fort here and there when we had foul trouble.

We won in 04 with only 4 guys at the 1-3 spots (TB-BG-RA-DB). We reached the EE in '02 with four guys at the 1-3 spots (TB-TR-BG-CB). We reached the FF in '09 with four guys at the 1-3 spots (AJP-CA-KW-SR). Nobody else got any burn in the stretch run (after MW and JD were lost). This year on paper we have four guys at the 1-3 who should be able to play at an elite level. What's hurting us is that Omar is a cut below what we'd want as the fourth guy. And KF being below hurts too - he isn't commanding minutes at the 4 so we go small a lot, opening up more minutes for our perimeter guys. And then RP is much closer to a Robertson than a Gordon, creating a need for someone to step in and allow Boat to play off the ball. That's forcing our reaches out there more than in past years.

One factor is that Cassell on paper probably should have been a good seventh man/glue type guy in an Austrie mold, and his lack of impact has hurt. If he had been better, we could have maybe overcame some of the issues with Omar's decline and trying to figure out how to get RB some minutes off the ball while still spacing the floor. But Hazelton was supposed to be a lot better than he was and we didn't have to worry in '02 with the top six guys we had.

Edwards was benched in HS and came from way off the recruiting radar. Facey on paper should be a 25-30 mpg contributor as a soph - something like a Boone '04, if not a Boone '05. Austrie and Edwards (plus Brimah, Hilton, Okafor, Giffey, Toraino, Jake and others) have exceeded expectations as our recruiting reaches. Of course, many others haven't - there's a long list of those. But there have been years where we just haven't had adequate bodies - backcourt in '12, backcourt in '06, frontcourt in '13, and that's worse. Thank goodness we took the flyer on Austrie for example - since the Dyson injury would have left us with only two guards in '09 and a sophomore Beverly backing them up, and we probably don't make it. Or we ended up with Okafor and Wise reaching for recruits out of the same spring tournament in Pittsburgh - that was a 50 percent success rate I'll be happy with every time.

Reaction Score
I just hope the off season work out reports will be tempered on the Yard. Many of us got burned last year with the glowing and glorifying player updates.

This. I know my memory isn't great, but it sure seemed like every player was going to be the next Michael Jordan (sarcasm). Maybe next year's reports will be grounded in a bit more reality so we are all not expecting to get to the Final Four.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Ok, I'll address the pink elephant in the room. Are we so sure DHam doesn't go to the NBA after this season? If so, we are totally fudged.
Not to be the grammar police but......................that's not remotely close to what pink elephant means. I believe its just "the elephant in the room".

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Not to be the grammar police but.......that's not remotely close to what pink elephant means. I believe its just "the elephant in the room".

The way this team plays, I think there will be a lot of us with pink elephants in the room.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
If we can just clean up the mistakes, stop turning the ball over so much, stepping on the end line, missing 3-4 layups a game (not sure that's an exaggeration, unfortunately)...just doing those things better will make this team a lot better. Add in more consistency on the defensive end and from the free throw line and this team can go back to the NCAAs next year.

Reaction Score
If we can just clean up the mistakes, stop turning the ball over so much, stepping on the end line, missing 3-4 layups a game (not sure that's an exaggeration, unfortunately)...just doing those things better will make this team a lot better. Add in more consistency on the defensive end and from the free throw line and this team can go back to the NCAAs next year.
And this is the biggest reason I'm optimistic about the group of players we have on the team now. We're not losing games because we don't do enough positive things to win, we're losing games because we make an absurd amount of mistakes, and probably 2/3 of them are unforced. Most of that is because of youth.

Reaction Score
Shabazzkets said:
Because kids only jump to the NBA when they are ready? Oh, good to know.

Ugh do people think these types of posts are funny? They're not

Reaction Score
Because kids only jump to the NBA when they are ready? Oh, good to know.
Hamilton's not going to the NBA this year. His family doesn't need the money, and he knows he needs to develop a few facets of his game.

He's also not particularly coveted in NBA circles because he lacks elite length and athleticism. His wingspan is 6-foot-8. Compare that to Oubre at 7-foot-2, and then watch how both of them finish around the rim.

Oubre, though a lesser college player, is going to be a lottery pick - maybe even top 5 - this summer. Hamilton isn't even appearing on most draft boards.

Over time, I suspect Hamilton will work himself into a lottery pick (I'm hoping that comes after his junior season), but unless he becomes absolutely lights out from behind the arc, he won't be a top 5 guy. Like Caron (and Paul Pierce and Brandon Roy), he will drop because of the athleticism/length questions.

Reaction Score
I havent looked at all of the responses but if we do not add 1 or 2 impact recruits (in addition to JA and SE) we will not have any quality depth whatsoever. Perimeter shooting will also be a major issue.

Reaction Score
And this is the biggest reason I'm optimistic about the group of players we have on the team now. We're not losing games because we don't do enough positive things to win, we're losing games because we make an absurd amount of mistakes, and probably 2/3 of them are unforced. Most of that is because of youth.
While I agree with this, its head scratching as to it being mid-February and simple 'lazy' turnovers are being committed. That's not youth or inexperience its something else (for Ollie to solve). I mean OC, RB and TSam passing the ball softly to get stolen is mind boggling. DHam dribbling into traffic is certainly youth and Amida looking out of place can also be attributed to inexperience. You can lump much of our poor decision making into this as well.

However, I just don't think all of our stupid turnovers are due to youth. Unfortunately it seems our coaching staff can't isolate the reason either. I would bet its due to team chemistry (not familiar with tendencies and other's strengths/weaknesses) more than anything else. Even last night some passes went out of bounds or off target due to anticipation and positional mistakes. Taliek knew when/where Ben and Rashad liked the ball, Bazz the same with Giffey, etc..

If chemistry is the issue, then it could be scary next year if not corrected especially with the number of returning players. Also the big question then becomes how do you create effective and cohesive team chemistry? You do see it with DHam and Amida, so we have a building block. If our players can unite and all get on the same page offensively and defensively, next year won't look so frightening without Boat.

That has been a trademark of UConn basketball over the years leading to much success.

Reaction Score
While I agree with this, its head scratching as to it being mid-February and simple 'lazy' turnovers are being committed. That's not youth or inexperience its something else (for Ollie to solve). I mean OC, RB and TSam passing the ball softly to get stolen is mind boggling. DHam dribbling into traffic is certainly youth and Amida looking out of place can also be attributed to inexperience. You can lump much of our poor decision making into this as well.

However, I just don't think all of our stupid turnovers are due to youth. Unfortunately it seems our coaching staff can't isolate the reason either. I would bet its due to team chemistry (not familiar with tendencies and other's strengths/weaknesses) more than anything else. Even last night some passes went out of bounds or off target due to anticipation and positional mistakes. Taliek knew when/where Ben and Rashad liked the ball, Bazz the same with Giffey, etc..

If chemistry is the issue, then it could be scary next year if not corrected especially with the number of returning players. Also the big question then becomes how do you create effective and cohesive team chemistry? You do see it with DHam and Amida, so we have a building block. If our players can unite and all get on the same page offensively and defensively, next year won't look so frightening without Boat.

That has been a trademark of UConn basketball over the years leading to much success.
Maybe it's just semantics, I don't know, but the stuff you're calling a lack of chemistry is exactly the stuff I call a product of youth. We haven't put a lineup on the floor this year that played even 1 minute together last year.

The senior year version of Taliek knew when/where the junior year version of BG wanted the ball at a much higher level than when they were a freshman and sophomore. At that point they had gone through 2 whole seasons of games, and developed that feel for playing together. Same with Bazz and Giffey. It comes as you spend more time on the court with each other.

My definition of bad chemistry is when players don't get along and you can tell they don't like being out on the court with each other (like the 11-12 year). I don't see that with this team. They seem to support and encourage each other (i.e. Purvis coming off the bench to help Boat last night, or picking each other off the ground when they're fouled, etc.)

Reaction Score
Maybe it's just semantics, I don't know, but the stuff you're calling a lack of chemistry is exactly the stuff I call a product of youth. We haven't put a lineup on the floor this year that played even 1 minute together last year.

The senior year version of Taliek knew when/where the junior year version of BG wanted the ball at a much higher level than when they were a freshman and sophomore. At that point they had gone through 2 whole seasons of games together. Same with Bazz and Giffey.

My definition of bad chemistry is when players don't get along and you can tell they don't like being out on the court with each other (like the 11-12 year). I don't see that with this team. They seem to support and encourage each other (i.e. Purvis coming off the bench to help Boat last night, or picking each other off the ground when they're fouled, etc.)
Yeah I certainly don't suspect 'bad attitude' chemistry I was looking for a description of mental/physical unity. They are a great group and the Boat incident last night displayed that. I was trying to define 'in-play' chemistry.

Typically a leader can help solve this and Boat is surely trying. I just think losing Boat will be problematic in this area and frankly it scares me. I was trying to say that if this gets fixed/solved/improved then we should field a solid team. Maturation in skills helps but knowing how each other plays is paramount for UConn ball. How that gets developed was my question/concern.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This is the same team last year that's a year older, without Ryan Boatright.

That isn't a good thing, folks. There isn't any 3-star PG from Alabama who can shine it up. This is a staff failure and needs to be recognized as such.
So recognized. Now what?

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Not to be the grammar police but.......that's not remotely close to what pink elephant means. I believe its just "the elephant in the room".
Is it grammar or diction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC