We can not close the deal with recruits | Page 11 | The Boneyard

We can not close the deal with recruits

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
bba448005946246f36e8cbc0993dcb67.jpg
No, it isn't.

CL82

Reaction Score
I hate to break this to you but if JC wasn't a stubborn old hardass UConn might well be in a P5 conference. Did he ever actually think things through.
By the way Chief
Dom Perno in worst and last years at UConn won as many league games as Jim Calhoun did in his first 3
If JC didn't catch lightning in a bottle and win the NIT with Perno's players he might not of seen the dream season.
His last two years were 9-9 and 8-10 in the Big East the latter with 3 number 1 picks and 3-4 number 2 picks. The former team was saved when KO developed KW into the top PG in the country.
Frankly JC was a good recruiter and talent evaluator,But playing in the most visible conference in the country makes that a whole lot easier. He certainly was among the greatest game coaches ever., but just an average developer of talent.
I could name as many of his players
who never got better and a few who were destroyed.
The Irony of the 1999 championship is a guy he destroyed played a roll in his first NC ,when injuries forced JC to play him.
His style of being a Gestopo doesn't suit every personality.

Anyone can cherry pick a career and by slant create the narrative that you want. I just gave you the tip of the iceberg.
KO is a great coach who inherited a bad situation and has been the subject of an unlenting campaign to hurt his recruiting since he took the job. Maybe some of the damage was self inflicted ,but I've never seen or heard anything other then innuendo.
That's a fact , but even false rumors can harm you.
I hope you fairweather fans don't hurt yourselves jumping off the bandwagon.
I'm committed for life ,as I don't jump vey well and jumping back on when we have a great 2017-17 is too exhausting.
image.jpg

... and just plain wrong. Calhoun was unbelievable developer of talent. Reading Tuff Juice now. Butler sure has a differing opinion from you.

By the way, Butler writes essentially, that top players were lining up to play for UConn and he counted himself blessed to have been chosen. That's where we were, not battling Rutgers (Rutgers for god sake) for recruits.

CL82

Reaction Score
If KO does poorly enough this year to lose his job, the mess his replacement will have to clean up may be insurmountable.
So you can never fire a losing coach? Silly.

FWIW, take a look at the energy level difference on the Football team. A good coach makes an amazing and immediate impact, though recruiting problems take a while to fix.

FWIW, I'm not a part of the fire Ollie bandwagon, but some people seem to be privy information that I haven't seen, or alternatively some people have been alluding to such information long enough that people imagine they know more than they actually do.

Reaction Score
So you can never fire a losing coach? Silly.

FWIW, take a look at the energy level difference on the Football team. A good coach makes an amazing and immediate impact, though recruiting problems take a while to fix.

FWIW, I'm not a part of the fire Ollie bandwagon, but some people seem to be privy information that I haven't seen, or alternatively some people have been alluding to such information long enough that people imagine they know more than they actually do.

There is a very large gap between what some posters on here perceive as the state of the program and the actual state of the program. We are 3 years removed from a National Championship, have a returning lead guard who should be in the running to be an All American and we have some talented pieces around him plus a few unknowns. The staff will pull in at least 2 very good recruits in the 2018 class which is all we really need to right the ship and start winning to prepare for the 2019 class. I expect the team to have an excellent year, and from what I'm hearing we are already in far better shape (literally and figuratively) than this time last year. The sky is always falling on the Boneyard...remember what a lousy 2010 recruiting class we all thought we had with all of those misses? Those young guys were enough to support KW in getting it done. Let's see what we have this year before we start digging our own grave. The staff has turned the corner and fixed many of the issues (some self inflicted and others more personality of player related). Don't give up on the program yet. We all know KO performs at his best with his back against the wall.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Ah, yes.

The 2011 canard.

Bad years and bad recruiting equal championships.

Got it.

Reaction Score
"Played with a poise and intelligence we haven't seen from a UConn off guard in forever." The hyperbole used for Christian Vital is hilarious.

I like the kid a lot, he's a solid third guard on your team but wow @ some of the stuff that's said here.

Had a better freshman season than jalen by almost all measures.

Eye test says the ceiling isn't as high, but don't kid yourself bub

Reaction Score
Ah, yes.

The 2011 canard.

Bad years and bad recruiting equal championships.

Got it.

Yeah...actually if you didn't realize it that class actually won 2 national championships. I actually wonder sometimes why you bother to post a bunch of negative crap on the board you started for the team you (presumably) once liked? You're half the problem with this board because half of the posters couldn't put a coherent thought together if they tried, so they just follow their cult leader Fishy...pretty incredible stuff. You are a skeleton of the poster you used to be.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I post what I think and what I know because I actually care about this program and I'm dismayed at what's been done to it over the past two years.

If that bothers you - and from the looks of the little tantrum you just pitched, it clearly does - I truly do not care.

Reaction Score
I post what I think and what I know because I actually care about this program and I'm dismayed at what's been done to it over the past two years.

If that bothers you - and from the looks of the little tantrum you just pitched, it clearly does - I truly do not care.

It's becoming more and more obvious to many of us here that you know a lot less than you think you know. Glad you actually care about the program. We all know this coming season is do or die for Ollie, no need to beat a dead horse. If Calhoun had gotten the short leash some people on here want to give to KO the program would have exactly zero championships, let's just keep in perspective that we've had 2 bad years and one of them we lost half of our starting lineup to injuries.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That's funny, I don't see people pining for a middle ground between the two here. I see them pining for Final 4s and championships and NBA lottery picks. People are complaining about how few to none of the players on the upcoming roster would've made the cut when Calhoun was coaching. The whole place was in a state of shock when a 5 star recruit picked Kentucky over us last year. Nah, I feel pretty confident in saying it's "good old days" or bust for at least 50% of the site.

What are you talking about? Championships mean little to me. But I want to be in the tournament every year, and to be ranked more often than not. Those are my goals. Certainly a deep run now and then would be nice. That 5 star recruit was a kid playing at a local school who had been on campus 100 times hanging with the team. So losing him to a Kentucky team that didn't need him or even try hard to get him was an indication that the stink upon UConn smells worse, the closer you are to it.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
What's the solution here? I agree missing on these recruits is increasingly frustrating. What can the staff, KO included, be doing differently? Are they getting out worked? Picking the wrong guys?

Reaction Score
What's the solution here? I agree missing on these recruits is increasingly frustrating. What can the staff, KO included, be doing differently? Are they getting out worked? Picking the wrong guys?

I don't think we're picking the wrong guys, and I doubt someone like KO who went from undrafted to a 13 year NBA career is getting outworked. Some posters here have alluded to some off the court issues with KO. I think it's time for those posters to tell us what they know, if only in a general sense. I'm all for protecting someone's privacy and I'm 100% behind KO, but at the same time, as a season ticket holder I would like to know if there issues.

C

Chief00

It's becoming more and more obvious to many of us here that you know a lot less than you think you know. Glad you actually care about the program. We all know this coming season is do or die for Ollie, no need to beat a dead horse. If Calhoun had gotten the short leash some people on here want to give to KO the program would have exactly zero championships, let's just keep in perspective that we've had 2 bad years and one of them we lost half of our starting lineup to injuries.
The truth is some know more than what they post - My strong guess is Fishy is in that category. If he was trying to sink the program - that would not be the case.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
What are you talking about? Championships mean little to me. But I want to be in the tournament every year, and to be ranked more often than not. Those are my goals. Certainly a deep run now and then would be nice. That 5 star recruit was a kid playing at a local school who had been on campus 100 times hanging with the team. So losing him to a Kentucky team that didn't need him or even try hard to get him was an indication that the stink upon UConn smells worse, the closer you are to it.

Wait, really?

Championships mean little to you? You just wanna be in the tournament every year?

Isn't this the exact thing we all say we don't want, and make fun of other "successful" programs for having?

Congrats, you want to be Notre Dame over the last 25 years. I'll take UConn.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You really have to wonder what in the blue hell happens in the last few days of these recruiting wars.

They just cannot seem to get a kid to yes.

If, and this is a big if, you can buy into some of what is passed along on this board vis a vis recruiting timelines, then they cannot seem to get a parent to say yes.

Last few recruits it seems the kids may have been leaning UCONN, while the parents wanted elsewhere.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Wait, really?

Championships mean little to you? You just wanna be in the tournament every year?

Isn't this the exact thing we all say we don't want, and make fun of other "successful" programs for having?

Congrats, you want to be Notre Dame over the last 25 years. I'll take UConn.

Notre Dame? Try Kansas. Championships are mostly luck. What you want is consistent excellence. To be relevant every year.

Notre Dame has only made 12 appearances since 1990. Only one in the whole decade of the 90s. UConn has made 20.

C

Chief00

If, and this is a big if, you can buy into some of what is passed along on this board vis a vis recruiting timelines, then they cannot seem to get a parent to say yes.

Last few recruits it seems the kids may have been leaning UCONN, while the parents wanted elsewhere.

IDK - Maybe have Bunkey take the mom out clubbing?

Reaction Score
Increasingly bizarre boneyard.

I can't even fathom some of the things that are said.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Notre Dame? Try Kansas. Championships are mostly luck. What you want is consistent excellence. To be relevant every year.

Notre Dame has only made 12 appearances since 1990. Only one in the whole decade of the 90s. UConn has made 20.

You think Kansas and its fans have that attitude of not caring about championships?

I'm picking a school to compare YOUR WORDS...Kansas ain't it.

I used Notre Dame without looking at their history, and you kinda proved my point for me ... In the 90s they only had 1, so since the 2000s what does it seem their results are?

Looks like consistent tourneys with no championships. That's what you said you want.

Reaction Score
Our coach needs to change his sales pitch because he is not looked at or admired as a father figure or a holy religious man he attempted to sell.

He needs to be more serious, and pragmatic in his approach and start having in home visits with recruits parents that he really wants on the team.

He needs to be relaxed in conversations with.parents meaning don't use Olliesms ever. Tell parents what they want to hear by listening what they're asking for and then being genuine in meeting their needs.

Last but not least win big and send Jalen to the NBA via lottery. That helps too.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
It's not the sales pitch that needs to change.

Our coach needs to change his sales pitch because he is not looked at or admired as a father figure or a holy religious man he attempted to sell.

He needs to be more serious, and pragmatic in his approach and start having in home visits with recruits parents that he really wants on the team.

He needs to be relaxed in conversations with.parents meaning don't use Olliesms ever. Tell parents what they want to hear by listening what they're asking for and then being genuine in meeting their needs.

Last but not least win big and send Jalen to the NBA via lottery. That helps too.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You think Kansas and its fans have that attitude of not caring about championships?

I'm picking a school to compare YOUR WORDS...Kansas ain't it.

I used Notre Dame without looking at their history, and you kinda proved my point for me ... In the 90s they only had 1, so since the 2000s what does it seem their results are?

Looks like consistent tourneys with no championships. That's what you said you want.

Don't be such a tool. I am one of their fans. Of course they want to win championships. They're spoiled, because they've won their league like 12 years in a row and have the longest streak of getting into the tournament in history.

Look, I want to win championships too. Everybody does. But I was replying to @Stairmaster who said we would bitch about any season where UConn didn't make the final four or win a title. That's not true at all. Right now, I think almost of of us would be damned happy to run off 3-4 years in a row of making the tournament, with a sweet 16 and maybe elite 8 run thrown in. Oh, and could we win the regular season title in this crappy league a couple of times along the way? That doesn't mean that you are satisfied with that forever, but we need to walk before we can run, and get this program back to where it wins consistently. That's what I'm looking for right now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom