we can be better | The Boneyard

we can be better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
the scary thing about todays game is we could have beaten them by much more. We shut them down on defense and they had no answer for our pressure. But we did not click on offense. It is scary how good we will be, our best ball is ahead of us. Hartley is playing better but is not on her game yet. Stokes is very important for her defense if we get in foul trouble and Banks and Jefferson will get much better.

sTu

Reaction Score
Agree with you mostly. I thought the half-court offense was excellent for the part against a good defense. We just shot poorly. Happens.

Reaction Score
I quite agree. I'm not trying to sound smug here, but I don't think the game was as close as the score indicated. Of course, our defensive dominance was off the charts. But we missed a ton of shots that we ordinarily make, open shots that were not missed due to pressure on their end. What shocked me most was how thoroughly they were outcoached. The shot clock constantly wound down to ten seconds or less before they got into any semblance of an offensive scheme. I don't see them improving all that much, relative to us. I agree with your post that we will be a far better team come March, especially in relation to them. Odyssey is obviously a huge contributor to BU...how else did they lose to this team?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Hush! Don't let that out, or they'll cancel the season. :)

Reaction Score
They had way to many offensive rebounds while we didn't (might had something to do with the extra 10 3 pt shots we tried but still not a lot of 2nd attempts).

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Geno said right afterwards how very pleased he was with our defense. Of course, there is a ton of work to do on offense, and now we can have the enjoyment of watching that come around too...March will be madness....

Reaction Score
I quite agree. I'm not trying to sound smug here, but I don't think the game was as close as the score indicated. Of course, our defensive dominance was off the charts. But we missed a ton of shots that we ordinarily make, open shots that were not missed due to pressure on their end. What shocked me most was how thoroughly they were outcoached. The shot clock constantly wound down to ten seconds or less before they got into any semblance of an offensive scheme. I don't see them improving all that much, relative to us. I agree with your post that we will be a far better team come March, especially in relation to them. Odyssey is obviously a huge contributor to BU...how else did they lose to this team?
With teams that are relatively close in talent one can not discount the importance of Timing and Match ups. Ucon is a bad match up for Stanford Baylor is not. Their key player ( plus others) had an off shooting game. (timing).

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I blame our poor shooting on being rusty from the holidays and we are still coming back from injuries. KML and Mojeff still had tummy viruses. Tuck and Hartley are still coming back from injuries and Stokes is still on the bench...and we have a short bench as it is. I hope we get healthly fast and yes when March gets here and we are 100% we are going to be very tuff.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
With teams that are relatively close in talent one can not discount the importance of Timing and Match ups. Ucon is a bad match up for Stanford Baylor is not. Their key player ( plus others) had an off shooting game. (timing).

I generally like your posts, but I see you repeatedly using "Ucon" instead of "UConn." I'm not one for correcting typos on the fast-paced Internet, but typing "Ucon" as such could be interpreted as implying "You con." On the men's side there were a couple years where there would have been a bit of a reaction to that. Given the tenor of your posts I don't think you intend that meaning so I thought I would point it out.

Reaction Score

I'm not much on this board but I found it funny throughout the telecast how everyone was so intent on making it known Stanford was not shooting it well.........#1 Geno had a defense which stymied the much slower Cardinal squad and #2 the Huskies women were all over them.........add to that I thought the UConn ladies had an off night offensively as well missing many open looks they would normally make so all in all, these teams play 10 times, UConn wins 10 times.......... "timing" will not play a part in this match up!!!

Reaction Score
Stanford wasn't shooting well because their shooters weren't getting open looks and most of their personnel couldn't get themselves open in their one on one match ups. The few times we didn't blanket Bonnie Samuelson, you saw what she's capable of...

Reaction Score
Their key player had an off night because she was defended superbly by Stef along with some great "help" defensive work by others. I've noticed that Chiney gets to the foul line a lot against other teams and that's where a lot of her points come from, as well as offensive rebound put backs. I don't think we'll have any difficulty in a rematch unless we lose our defensive intensity or the ref's take Stef out of the game with some horrific foul calls.

Reaction Score
I agree I think it is scary how good this team potentially could be at seasons end. I think ND will give us a better test of where we are. I believe they are under rated and will challenge us to compete at a higher level.

Reaction Score
Warming up before the game, the Stanford players rarely missed so the cold shooting had something to do with the UConn defense :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom