We’re in an awful place | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We’re in an awful place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It will be about talent....recruiting.

And that is what makes it difficult to come out of a death spiral....the more you lose, the more difficult it is to build talent...the spiral tightens as kids look elsewhere.

For the 2019 class, it looks pretty dismal...the best recruit, so far, is the one two star.

The current 2019 Uconn commits are rated at 255 points.....vs 1000 or so for the top four programs of the conference...

The coaches have a boulder to push up the hill...but they must make some headway.

Reaction Score
Yeah...Rivals lists one two star (they don't list Juco"s) and that's it...Scout lists one 3 star and 4 two stars....

As long as you compare programs using the same rating source, it usually pans out.

My premise doesn't change...if you don't recruit as well as your competition, it will make for a long season.

Reaction Score
Yeah...Rivals lists one two star (they don't list Juco"s) and that's it...Scout lists one 3 star and 4 two stars.

I get you premise and don’t disagree necessarily that you need to out-recruit your peers in and out of conference to gain ground:

Here is UConn Rivals to date for 2019:
6EA55283-E75F-4473-8BAF-92779C13432B.png

The Early Signing Period in December will be foretelling.

Reaction Score
You are correct when you show that UConn is the absolute worst member of the AAC in football. You must be reminded that the role FSU played in blocking UConn back in 2012 and playing a major role in the demise of UConn athletics. I believe Randy's planned departure number 1, leaving the cupboard bare to start, combined with bad coaching hires and being left behind in conference realignment have all played a role in this downward spiral. And you are correct, as the spiral narrows, it becomes more difficult to climb out of a hole.

Reaction Score
I mentioned this before but will repeat it. Edsall doesn’t recruit 5 star player who are ready to go as true or even redshirt frosh. He brings in athletes and teaches them football. RE1.0 had 2 walk one play in the NFL. Alabama probably hasn’t had 1 in its entire history never mind 2. So he gets guys like Lutrus who was unrated as a running back or an 2 star linebacker who becomes an NFL level fullback.

Rashad Johnson was a walk on at Alabama who had no FBS scholarship offers. He was drafted in the third round in 2009 by Arizona. I was told that Saban uses this as an example to get guys to go to Alabama once he is out of scholarships.

Reaction Score
You are correct when you show that UConn is the absolute worst member of the AAC in football. You must be reminded that the role FSU played in blocking UConn back in 2012 and playing a major role in the demise of UConn athletics. I believe Randy's planned departure number 1, leaving the cupboard bare to start, combined with bad coaching hires and being left behind in conference realignment have all played a role in this downward spiral. And you are correct, as the spiral narrows, it becomes more difficult to climb out of a hole.

Edsall did not leave the cupboard bare. He left P an NFL defense and some decent talent on the offense. P actually recruited OK, but couldn’t run or control a team anymore. Diaco’s recruiting is proving to have been a complete disaster.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Edsall did not leave the cupboard bare. He left P an NFL defense and some decent talent on the offense. P actually recruited OK, but couldn’t run or control a team anymore. Diaco’s recruiting is proving to have been a complete disaster.
Agreed. If Edsall made his return after P's departure, we would not be in our current situation, but alas, we are and recruiting is, and will continue to be, an uphill battle moving forward.

Reaction Score
No argument - my overlying point in responding was that the info you provided in your two previous posts (#26/#28) was misleading/incorrect regarding number of commits/stars.

Nobody is saying that the current composition is something to scream from the top of the mountain about.

Actually...my post is correct...according Tyler Phommachanh Rivals (see linked chart above in my former post)...

I have used Rivals to follow recruiting over the years...it is true that other ranking services will rank differently...but my post is as true as any.

If you like 247's Composite Rankings...they paint the same picture...last in AAC...and far from the first 8 teams in the conference....the coaches' job is set out before them...get talent...develop talent.

Reaction Score
Actually...my post is correct...according Tyler Phommachanh Rivals (see linked chart above in my former post)...

I have used Rivals to follow recruiting over the years...it is true that other ranking services will rank differently...but my post is as true as any.

If you like 247's Composite Rankings...they paint the same picture...last in AAC...and far from the first 8 teams in the conference....the coaches' job is set out before them...get talent...develop talent.

Jesus dude - tell me how this quote by you is correct:

>>For the 2019 class, it looks pretty dismal...the best recruit, so far, is the one two star.<<

I provided the Rivals (Storrs Central) chart for UConn which showed it was wrong.

Or this one (in which he (Harris) is clearly referenced in the Rivals link you provided):

>>Yeah...Rivals lists one two star (they don't list Juco"s)<<

There was no argument where they sit presently in AAC recruiting.

Reaction Score
Okay. But I believe if he did not leave at that time and in the manner in which he did, things would be very different now. UConn is really in dire straits at this time, and it may not be repairable.

Reaction Score
Okay. But I believe if he did not leave at that time and in the manner in which he did, things would be very different now. UConn is really in dire straits at this time, and it may not be repairable.

It will be repaired. Not sure exactly what your agenda is on these boards, but it’s clear you have one.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I sometimes wonder if the team would do better if it borrowed CCSU’s defense.

C

Chief00

Chief hasn’t seen the trajectory change - not talking wins and loses but either better recruiting or on field execution improvements.
It will be interesting to see the DC Randy brings in. Kind of a weird situation, Randy has struck out on his pick from two years ago yet having Dave be the one behind the hire is tricky. Lashlee and Grimes may have worked out in regards to on field improvement but not in the dynamic with head coach.
Crocker owns the 7 DBs he brought in and it’s clear his system and accompanying talent evaluation doesn’t work at D1 level. For Randy it’s time to go with JUCO’s to try to save his job. That’s not what he’s comfortable with but he has no choice.

Reaction Score

It feels like your beating a dead horse here. I don't see much argument that UConn's Recruiting doesn't need massive improvement to become more competitive in The AAC. No need to link Rivals or 247 Rankings to point that out. That said It doesn't change the fact that UConn's Recruiting has always been about finding under the radar kids and developmental type prospects and coaching them up. The only difference is that it is harder for quality kids to fly under the radar, and UConn as a program is recruiting from a different set of circumstances than they were under HCRE's First go around.

Reaction Score
Chief hasn’t seen the trajectory change - not talking wins and loses but either better recruiting or on field execution improvements.
It will be interesting to see the DC Randy brings in. Kind of a weird situation, Randy has struck out on his pick from two years ago yet having Dave be the one behind the hire is tricky. Lashlee and Grimes may have worked out in regards to on field improvement but not in the dynamic with head coach.
Crocker owns the 7 DBs he brought in and it’s clear his system and accompanying talent evaluation doesn’t work at D1 level. For Randy it’s time to go with JUCO’s to try to save his job. That’s not what he’s comfortable with but he has no choice.
Spot on Chief00 ... There's no way in heck the fanbase will stomach a bunch of underclassmen manning key positions on D for another season... They still have growing to do physically and mentally.. Gotta see significant improvement from this Sugar Honey Iced Tea show... Gotta bring in some impact mature guys on D (DL, LB, DB)... we need another edge rusher in the worst of ways.. It's not even funny... and a thumper (or 2) @ LB, ... ALL with size, maturity and better playing speed, recognition... find some kids with a bit of a chip on their shoulder to channel that energy on the field of play... We have a couple.. but not enough...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The only difference is that it is harder for quality kids to fly under the radar .
I totally think this is the case. All programs are probably scouting 5X the kids they did 15 years ago. With so many eyes out there and kids/high school coaches and parents also be more aware and able to market themselves, their are much fewer dirty diamonds.

I feel like Randy 2.0 has already been first to many great looking players that in the past he would have been able to keep hidden. What he is fielding now are longer shot kids. Kids that might need 3 years of development rather than say 2.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
This chart is more telling...

2019 Team Rankings American Athletic

The fact that Temple is currently fourth out of 12 conference teams is really disturbing, considering one of the biggest excuses thrown around here for a lack of recruiting success is our geographic location compared with the rest of the league. Temple is the only conference team in our geographic region and they seem to be doing fine. If we can't figure out a way to beat Temple in recruiting, then something is really going wrong here with our entire approach.

Reaction Score
The fact that Temple is currently fourth out of 12 conference teams is really disturbing, considering one of the biggest excuses thrown around here for a lack of recruiting success is our geographic location compared with the rest of the league. Temple is the only conference team in our geographic region and they seem to be doing fine. If we can't figure out a way to beat Temple in recruiting, then something is really going wrong here with our entire approach.

It's not so much the geography in my mind - Look at Temple's record last 4 years... having a winning program helps cures a lot of ills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom