We’re in an awful place | The Boneyard

We’re in an awful place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This defense is bad by epic proportions. I was concerned last season that none of the underclassmen where pressing seniors for playing time. It’s obvious why that was the case now. This group should be better next year, but from what base? Marginal FCS talent? Memphis rushed for 400 yards and at one point rushed for 5 straight TDs, 4 of which were all over 25 (1 for 61). Edsall threw in the towel in the second half to keep 80 or 90 off the board.

Next season the offense loses a good QB in Pindell and a bunch of our best receivers. I think Mensah can be a good back, but while passpro has improved we get nothing in line push for the running game. So why would the offense improve?

We’re two seasons away from fielding a competitive AAC team......at the earliest. Absent getting a couple of juco LB studs I see any defensive improvement as being so modest as to not improve overall competitiveness.

We’re in an awful spot and going to the games will be about socializing and enduring these games. I’m a big Edsall guy, but if his plans for rebuilding don’t work, this program will be a laughing stock for the next decade. Let’s hope he knows what he’s doing.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's a given that these freshman will stick around long enough for us to see any marked improvement.
After this year they have to be feeling beaten down.
If we get into that rut, it will take us a lot longer to see any light at the end of the tunnel.
Just thinking that HCRE has to take a stronger look at JC transfers who at least give us some chance to bridge the gaps...

Reaction Score
I don’t think it is a given that freshmen starting now will be starting come next season. I suspect that some of the guys redshirting may actually be better when it comes down to it. And it could well take 2 years to get to a competitive place. Maybe we win 1 more this year. But it will take some time to build the required depth and experience to be competitive. This is truly a ground up rebuild which I suspect Edsall and AD Dave both understood.

Reaction Score
Still amazing that we're this bad. We're a state university for pete's sake. We have other realtively strong sports programs with championship pedigrees. We play in a decent football conference (despite CR apocalypse). A couple bad hires and we're the worst of the worst in FBS with little reprieve on the near horizon. Feels like this has been & still is a 3-4 year ground-up rebuild. Just kills me that it's come to this.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Still amazing that we're this bad. We're a state university for pete's sake. We have other realtively strong sports programs with championship pedigrees. We play in a decent football conference (despite CR apocalypse). A couple bad hires and we're the worst of the worst in FBS with little reprieve on the near horizon. Feels like this has been & still is a 3-4 year ground-up rebuild. Just kills me that it's come to this.

You and me both. We're so awful that it will take several years to dig out which gives the "drop football" crowd a long time and a lot of gasoline to throw on the dumpster fire. Going to be a very long few years for us UConn fans for sure.

Reaction Score

Many of us scratched our heads at Diaco’s recruiting. By all appearances he had not a clue how to evaluate and develop talent.......so here we are.

Reaction Score
This season has become akin to water torture. Have to hope that HCRE's eye for talent hasn't dimmed & that this week's recruiting trip bears fruit in the future..

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Meh. Nothing unexpected this season and things will improve. HCBD was a disaster in every category except Best Hair. It will take about 3 seasons to get back to .500 and a bowl, but we will get there.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
any talk of anyone leaving should be put on the back burner and just walk away if that is what you need to talk about.

My hope is that UConn some how improves the rest of the season going into the winter and spring.

Reaction Score
This defense is bad by epic proportions. I was concerned last season that none of the underclassmen where pressing seniors for playing time. It’s obvious why that was the case now. This group should be better next year, but from what base? Marginal FCS talent? Memphis rushed for 400 yards and at one point rushed for 5 straight TDs, 4 of which were all over 25 (1 for 61). Edsall threw in the towel in the second half to keep 80 or 90 off the board.

Next season the offense loses a good QB in Pindell and a bunch of our best receivers. I think Mensah can be a good back, but while passpro has improved we get nothing in line push for the running game. So why would the offense improve?

We’re two seasons away from fielding a competitive AAC team.at the earliest. Absent getting a couple of juco LB studs I see any defensive improvement as being so modest as to not improve overall competitiveness.

We’re in an awful spot and going to the games will be about socializing and enduring these games. I’m a big Edsall guy, but if his plans for rebuilding don’t work, this program will be a laughing stock for the next decade. Let’s hope he knows what he’s doing.
Why on earth are you a big Edsall guy?

Reaction Score
Where are the improvements coming from? Look at our recruiting randy is not doing better than bob

Reaction Score
We will be horrible next year too. And we don’t have much coming in recruiting wise. Don’t be naive
Where are the improvements coming from? Look at our recruiting randy is not doing better than bob

There’s 2+ months till early signing day December 19th and then more time till February. Bit early to pronounce this recruiting year DOA?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

We’re two seasons away from fielding a competitive AAC team.at the earliest. Absent getting a couple of juco LB studs I see any defensive improvement as being so modest as to not improve overall competitiveness.

I tend to agree with you, although we have been through the toughest part of the schedule so far. UMass, Tulsa, ECU and SMU could make UConn look more competitive. I am not optimistic, but I am not ready to write off the whole roster until I see how the Huskies do in the back half of the schedule.

Reaction Score

It kills me also......but this rebuild is going to be a lot tougher that going 1-aa to 1-a the first time RE was here. Our other sports are relatively strong as the recruiting area for those sports has competitive talent within CT and immediate surrounding geographic region to the point those coaches don't have to pretty much fill the roster with out of state talent to compete. CT and NE are deficient in FBS football talent......period. FB is not going to be competitive selecting players only from the NE.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Randy is out on the recruiting trail. That is a good place. Agree with Nelson, starting with UMass (USF prob not) let’s see some competitive nature

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
USF is going to destroy us. Starting with the 10/27 game, I don't want to see anymore 200 yard rushing performances by the opposition, nor 500 yards of total offense. I realize that 175 and 450 are still brutal numbers, but I am looking for baby steps.

If UConn is still losing 55-14 to UMass and Tulsa, then we have a serious problem.

Reaction Score
Diaco left this program is shambles! Rebuilding a program doesn't happen overnight and is going to take 3-4 years to become respectable again.

Reaction Score
USF is going to destroy us. Starting with the 10/27 game, I don't want to see anymore 200 yard rushing performances by the opposition, nor 500 yards of total offense. I realize that 175 and 450 are still brutal numbers, but I am looking for baby steps.

If UConn is still losing 55-14 to UMass and Tulsa, then we have a serious problem.
Having seeing all those teams play so far this year, I don't think our defense has a prayer of stopping any of those offenses. I would love to be proven wrong however, but even UMass racks up yards and points and we put up as much resistance as a wet paper bag.

Reaction Score
UConn has about 1 or 2 chances for another W this season and I highly doubt that a Yankee Conference foe is one of them. But they could still get to a total of 3 which is what we expected.

Reaction Score
I mentioned this before but will repeat it. Edsall doesn’t recruit 5 star player who are ready to go as true or even redshirt frosh. He brings in athletes and teaches them football. RE1.0 had 2 walk one play in the NFL. Alabama probably hasn’t had 1 in its entire history never mind 2. So he gets guys like Lutrus who was unrated as a running back or an 2 star linebacker who becomes an NFL level fullback.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Just you suggesting this as a low bar achievement is loudly announcing that we have a problem.

Reaction Score

A bad coach can set back a program, even a really good or great one. There are many examples of that, and this program has had two bad coaches in a row. Toss in the fact that we are recruiting from a shallow talent pool, and this is what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom