Way Too Early Top 25 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Way Too Early Top 25

Reaction Score
Okay, is this true? Did SC really hang a banner for last year? What does it even say?
Yes, it's true. I am not sure of the exact wording but it claims the national championship because they were first in the final poll.

Reaction Score
Yes, it's true. I am not sure of the exact wording but it claims the national championship because they were first in the final poll.
So, Uconn finished first in the final poll this year. Do we get a banner?

In jest, but God I hope not......

I'm embarrassed for SC fans to be honest.

Reaction Score
I wonder if anyone on earth cares about the SC banner outside of UConn fans.
Probably not. I was just asking as I thought it was a joke.

From now until shortly before the season starts (even then) most of the threads here are kind of silly and beating the living tar out of the skeleton of the dead horse. Maybe some of the transfer threads and portal threads are fun to watch, but the rest is nonsense and speculation.....yet here I am!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Probably not. I was just asking as I thought it was a joke.

From now until shortly before the season starts (even then) most of the threads here are kind of silly and beating the living tar out of the skeleton of the dead horse. Maybe some of the transfer threads and portal threads are fun to watch, but the rest is nonsense and speculation.....yet here I am!

Ain't nothing wrong with nonsense and speculation...... :cool:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
They don't have a PG. If Williams and Wilson leave, I think Stanford has major talent and depth at 3-4-5, but who is going to get them the ball? The more I think about this, the more I think that Oregon should be the favorite in the Pac-12.
I think they are counting on Van Gytenbeek and can also use HaJo.

Reaction Score
Per Stanford’s women basketball Twitter Kiana is declaring for the WNBA draft.

Reaction Score
They don't have a PG. If Williams and Wilson leave, I think Stanford has major talent and depth at 3-4-5, but who is going to get them the ball? The more I think about this, the more I think that Oregon should be the favorite in the Pac-12.

Would love it if you're right. Would be great to see Coach Geno surpass Tara AND win the NC next year!!

Reaction Score
Brown is also on the Stanford roster, but she hasn’t lived up to her high school ranking.

Reaction Score
Surprising that Arizona gets to National Championship where they lose a squeeker and they aren't in the top 25?
Ari was a do everything player for them, they are not a ranked team without Ari. I don't don't doubt Barnes will be able to recruit going forward but that is not happening next year

Reaction Score
Quick thoughts on top 10ish:
1. Stanford-they lock in #1 if Williams/Wilson return. Wilson is an elite defender, Williams is a very good scorer and their young duo of Brink/Jones makes them a title favorite. Extremely deep roster that Tara utilizes very well. If Williams is gone and Wilson stays, they drop to 3rd. They drop to 4th if both leave since their backcourt really isn't very strong aside from those 2 unless they move Jones to point (which probably would be a solid option).

2. South Carolina-they're neck and neck with Stanford. Tons of talent and Cooke/Henderson should mature in their roles after having a somewhat up and down year. Big rookie class coming in, although I'm not sure more than 1-2 will make an impact.

3. UCONN-also neck and neck with the top 2. Everyone is back and Geno brings in a monster class led by Fudd. Leadership and consistency were factors this season, and Geno's massive roster may not be as easy to manage as it looks on paper. They'll be in the title mix again and this team probably has more raw talent and potential than any team.

4. Maryland-everyone is back for now. They have the most dynamic offense in the country this past year but flamed out early. They have incredible potential if Reese makes strides in the offseason, as she gives them a needed defensive presence inside.

5. NC State-if seniors are back and Diamond Johnson/Hayes are on board, NC State should compete for a title. They'll have athletes, shooters and one of the best big girls in women's basketball in Cunane. Moore is a solid coach and they should compete well.

6. Baylor-Losing Richards and Carrington will hurt more than I think most anticipate. Everyone else returns all their top players, Baylor loses 2 pivotal ones. How well Carr and McDaniel blend in may make or break their season. Additionally they need development from Andrews. Smith won the Wade trophy this year and will return as a top POY candidate. Egbo has developed into a phenomenal defender and rebounder, and Ursin is great from the guard spot. They'll be a tough out per usual.

7. Oregon-if players can stay healthy and develop more chemistry, they'll be extremely dangerous. Pao Pao quietly had an excellent freshman season, Prince finally found rhythm toward the end of the season and Sabally had a nice first year as well. Oregon is pretty solid defensively but couldn't find their rhythm offensively. Graves is one of the better offensive coaches in the nation, so I think they'll thrive next year.

8. Louisville-Walz always has good talent on his roster and next year they'll be strong again, led by their two freshmen. Engstler is a nice pickup but I don't think she makes a huge difference in the grand scheme of things. I could see Louisville drop since they have a lot of decent pieces but no one who appears to be a go to star.

9. Indiana-good offensive team with a long time group of core players returning. They'll be potent.

10. Texas-were they not listed by ESPN? This is assuming Vic picks up a couple of kids from the transfer portal to replace Taylor/Collier, but by the end of the year they were playing like a classic Vic Schaefer team. Tough gutsy defense, players stepping up and making shots, and more than anything else a fearlessness and confidence that gives them an edge. They have 2 top 10 kids coming in, plus Warren/Allen-Taylor/Gaston/Ebo back. Might be somewhat of a stretch having them this high, but you can't ever count out Vic.
This is a good assessment, I don't understand the infatuation with NC State by some. I have never been impressed with them even in games they've played well and won. I think we are underplaying Baylor. I agree with Charlie Creme that UConn would be my preseason #1 with So. Carolina the obvious #2. The difference is on offense where SoCarolina struggles at times even against a lesser opponent. UConn is adding two shooters and one is elite and the other is considered pretty close.
Geno has the best player in the country a year older, with more weapons around her. When he has the best player he wins NC's.
I totally expect that 3 of the 4 FF teams this year will be there next year

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
This is a good assessment, I don't understand the infatuation with NC State by some. I have never been impressed with them even in games they've played well and won. I think we are underplaying Baylor. I agree with Charlie Creme that UConn would be my preseason #1 with So. Carolina the obvious #2. The difference is on offense where SoCarolina struggles at times even against a lesser opponent. UConn is adding two shooters and one is elite and the other is considered pretty close.
Geno has the best player in the country a year older, with more weapons around her. When he has the best player he wins NC's.
I totally expect that 3 of the 4 FF teams this year will be there next year

Thanks....NC State was strong this year and they add in Diamond Johnson who is outstanding. I think they'll be very good. I don't find them the most entertaining to watch but Moore is an excellent coach and they'll be formidable again. He's steadily improved the program each year.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Ari was a do everything player for them, they are not a ranked team without Ari. I don't don't doubt Barnes will be able to recruit going forward but that is not happening next year

Arizona is absolutely a top 25 team IMO. They'll be outstanding defensively once again, bring in Koi Love and return Cate Reese/Sam Thomas/other contributors. I don't expect another title run but I see them being similar to how Oregon was this year.

Reaction Score
Arizona is absolutely a top 25 team IMO. They'll be outstanding defensively once again, bring in Koi Love and return Cate Reese/Sam Thomas/other contributors. I don't expect another title run but I see them being similar to how Oregon was this year.
I don't see it and neither did Charlie Creme.. The aspect that is going over your head is how Aari lifted the entire play of her supporting cast. She was Superwoman at both ends, everyone else got a little more bold and brazen and played above themselves. That is not easy to replace and certainly wont be done in one year, factor in that the PAC 12 is a rough and tumble conference. I'm rooting for them because I love the coach but...

Reaction Score
Thanks....NC State was strong this year and they add in Diamond Johnson who is outstanding. I think they'll be very good. I don't find them the most entertaining to watch but Moore is an excellent coach and they'll be formidable again. He's steadily improved the program each year.
There are a quite a few good teams in the women's game these days. Then there are those that are thought of as serious NC contenders. NC State has been plugged into that group lately and I don't feel as though they belong.
When I watched them I kept saying to myself who is going take over for this team in a tight game in the tournament? who is going to demand the ball and make shots? That question is still on the table..

I think Charlie Creme who I don't always agree with was spot on with his top 4. Those teams have rosters that you look at and say they're championship caliber.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Would love it if you're right. Would be great to see Coach Geno surpass Tara AND win the NC next year!!
Even so Stanford will not loose enough games for this to happen next year. That is for Geno to pass Tara next year, The NC is a given. :cool:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The banner said #1, the fans said National Championship

1617923253079.jpeg

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
The banner said #1, the fans said National Championship

View attachment 66715
Yes, but I believe that Dawn said "crown us the national champion" as well. It's the combination of banner and words, I believe, that provoked the negative responses, mine included. And the contrast between that and what my similarly disappointed coach (Kelly Graves) said after the tournament had been cancelled didn't help.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yes, but I believe that Dawn said "crown us the national champion" as well. It's the combination of banner and words, I believe, that provoked the negative responses, mine included. And the contrast between that and what my similarly disappointed coach (Kelly Graves) said after the tournament had been cancelled didn't help.
Right, Dawn did say something to that effect but the banner doesn’t claim a championship

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom