Way-Too-Early Top 25 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Way-Too-Early Top 25

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I don't think anyone on this board is close the UK program but it's interesting they spent time talking about transfers who will be available next year but didn't mention former Pac-12 Freshmen of the Year, Dre'Una Edwards? Is she not expected to be healthy for this upcoming season?

On paper, I'd imagine the impact of Edwards with Howard and Patterson and the rest of the returners would be worth mentioning if they are going to mention Hunt who hasn't played college ball?

Reaction Score
I see the PAC12 and SEC at the end of the season only having 5 ranked at the most. B1G most likely only 4. There will be some other conferences getting in the Top 25 at the end of the season.

I wonder. I'm sure that within the conferences there will be unranked teams that will replace other ranked conference teams. For non-P5 it's usually a matter of continuing to win in-conference but moving up only when someone higher up loses. Since a lot of the P-5 teams won't be padding their W-L record early there will be a lot of teams within a game or 2 of a .500 record while teams like Missouri St and Gonzaga could keep winning and end up 10-13 in the polls. It would be great to see a few more mid-majors get to host the first weekend of the NCAA's, but those AP rankings may not matter with the new system.

The AP voters will have to do some work when half the top 15 lose on a weekend. :D

Reaction Score
Mississippi State at #6?

That's a lot of pressure on Nikki McCray-Penson. I'm guessing she needs a year to get through her rookie errors as a hc. I do wish her well though - just not too well.
You do realize she was head coach for Omd Dominion before going to miss st

Reaction Score
Irish back to top 20/25. It will be interesting to see how much they are improved.
They could have good depth for sure, if Mabrey get to play I count about 12 player’s competing for PT. Figuring out rotation’s and keeping everyone happy could be one of the biggest challenges for Ivey this season.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Is this a reason for concern or for optimism? Both are considered combo guards so they can handle the ball, shoot/score and pass. They are both 6'. One was a No 1 recruit and the other No 2.
Yeah, Geno must have this at the top of his "concerns" list.
Actually be pretty awesome if that was the top of his list. :D

The Bueckers media show last winter was an almost daily event as national media took turns on feature articles. ESPN is simply giving other teams and players some love now and not overdoing what will be (IMO), the story of the season.
I'm thinking Covid might still the story of the season. Whether the season plays out or not. :oops:

Reaction Score
You do realize she was head coach for Omd Dominion before going to miss st

"First year with this group of players" is what I should have said. The first year for even great, proven coaches (which she might prove to be) can be tough while the team and coach get to know each other under fire. This season's weird factors may make it even tougher for team development. Bulldog fans need to have some patience this year.

I will be pulling for her because of her ties to SCar and because I respect MssSt as a rival. But I don't want her "stealing" 2022 Ashlynn Wadkins with whom she has some bonding history.

Reaction Score
Well, ESPN can't and won't make money off UCONN anymore, so we got to the bottom of the pile. I mean, look at how ESPN personalities drool over every player in the W except UCONN players.

It is no secret that ESPN is biased against Uconn. And they call Baylor "the reigning national champions since there was no champion last year"

It doesn't matter that we all knew Oregon was going to win...It also doesn't matter that Baylor lost 4 starters....Don't pay attention to Uconn having one of their best recruits (Paige) ever... Doesn't matter that we have another ALL American (Westbrook) joining our team..

I am surprised they didn't rank Uconn number 10.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It is no secret that ESPN is biased against Uconn. And they call Baylor "the reigning national champions since there was no champion last year"

It doesn't matter that we all knew Oregon was going to win...It also doesn't matter that Baylor lost 4 starters....Don't pay attention to Uconn having one of their best recruits (Paige) ever... Doesn't matter that we have another ALL American (Westbrook) joining our team..

Yikes, lots of persecution complex going on here.

For the record Baylor lost 3 starters, to UConn's 2. And Baylor picked up a high-quality and seasoned transfer in all-Pac-12 forward Carrington.

Maybe part of this is the fact that Baylor beat UConn by 16 at UConn last year? Those things get noticed as well.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
First of all I read alot of "IF's". SC is missing their point guard who ran the show. I know from experience it's very difficult to replace a point guard who can lead your team. IMO SC will be a very good team but will need a leader at the point. UConn has CW #1 Westbrook #2 Oliva #5 and Paige #1. UConn will need CW and Westbrook to take leadership roles and if they do this is going to be a fantastic season. Paige will come along and be fine. As she gains more expeience and confidence she will run the show. The one thing about UConn this season is we just need time on the court in real game situations to gain the confidence we need as a team.

Reaction Score
Don't let Dawn Staley see this. :rolleyes:

(making fun of this is never gonna get old)

Well, Dawn "reigned in" Baylor last year.:eek:

Reaction Score
SC and UConn are the top 2 teams if you ask me. I don't discount the experience South Carolina lost but their talent and depth are clear. UConn has some talented pieces coming back plus new additions that will likely make them deeper and more versatile. Bueckers and Westbrook should be impact players from almost day one. UConn last season had the talent but couldn't get their core four to have significant games against the top opponents on the same night. If that happens this year then the Huskies won't lose many games if any.

Baylor, Oregon, Mississippi State all have talent but big question marks. I think Oregon will be very good but there will be an Ionescue hangover as the new players adjust. MSU has back a lot of talent but will be adapting to a new staff. McCray-Pinson will have some work to do to keep them at their current level. Stanford is never an easy out, ND will likely be better if only due to the experience of their players having suffered through the worst year in recent memory for the program.

This is just some brief observations on what are among the top teams. I am still holding out hope we have a season to enjoy.

Reaction Score
Surprised no one is taking Stanford serious , they bring back pretty much everyone other than Dodson opting out. The Hull twins and Jones along with Belibi .

Reaction Score
Interesting but likely accurate list and somewhat order for the “way too early”
I’m intrigued by which transfers are going to apply for RS vs immediate eligibility. Looks like the Kentucky trio will sit this year.

I find it hard to not think Texas will enter the top 25 before season end.

I’m also intrigued by what Oregon and Oregon State will look like in the PAC-12 and keep an eye on Arizona. They didn’t mention the addition of BIG 12 FOY Shania Pellington who will help them.

Don’t really understand the Westbrook/Bueckers comment. There should be plenty of playing time and you could see 4 guards and ONO or 4 guards and Griffin or 4 guards and Edwards. GA has lots of combinations he can use.
It will also be interesting whether the Left Coast will open the season in the end of November or wait to January...

Reaction Score
Comeback in mid January and look again at all the top 20 teams.........

Reaction Score
Surprised no one is taking Stanford serious , they bring back pretty much everyone other than Dodson opting out. The Hull twins and Jones along with Belibi .

I'm fine with flying under the radar, and you didn't even mention our best player by far in Williams. The post has a few question marks on defense as Fingall was an anchor for the team last year, but we're hoping for good things from Prechtel and Belibi this year, and anything Jerome can contribute in the rotation is an added bonus. The Hulls running with Jones, Williams, and a healthy Anna Wilson will be a wonderful sight to behold.

Reaction Score
This is may be weird to talk about Syracuse on the boneyard, but I've been posting on this board for 20+ years so I've earned the right. HA.
Talk about Syracuse is always welcome here, Stewie is from there and most here just love her. ;)

"First year with this group of players" is what I should have said. The first year for even great, proven coaches (which she might prove to be) can be tough while the team and coach get to know each other under fire.
No attack here but if a coach needs a season to get to know the players they are surely not D1 material. They may need time to make personal changes to fit a system but the homework to know the players and personalities should be done by now.
If that should be a problem maybe a little conversation with Mike Leach would be to her advantage.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom