Way-Too-Early Top 25 | The Boneyard

Way-Too-Early Top 25

Reaction Score
So-

This is may be weird to talk about Syracuse on the boneyard, but I've been posting on this board for 20+ years so I've earned the right. HA.

I'm a UCONN fan first and foremost(duh), but a Syracuse resident and season ticket holder, I have to step in here and say a few things. There is no way a team with Mangakahia/Lewis as a back court and a junior Emily Engstler, who easily has the most talent on the roster, shouldn't be a top-10 team. There are a lot of unknowns at this point and I understand why they're so low. But with those players, some good returning ones, and that recruiting class, they could win the ACC, IMO.

Reaction Score
Pretty skimpy writeup of UConn in comparison to some of the other blurbs. :rolleyes:

Well, ESPN can't and won't make money off UCONN anymore, so we got to the bottom of the pile. I mean, look at how ESPN personalities drool over every player in the W except UCONN players.

Reaction Score
Well, ESPN can't and won't make money off UCONN anymore, so we got to the bottom of the pile. I mean, look at how ESPN personalities drool over every player in the W except UCONN players.

Not sure what more there is to say by ESPN except: "Perennial Number 1 seed until proven otherwise. UConn is UCOnn and Geno is still there."

Reaction Score
Mississippi State at #6?

That's a lot of pressure on Nikki McCray-Penson. I'm guessing she needs a year to get through her rookie errors as a hc. I do wish her well though - just not too well.

Reaction Score
Interesting write up and upcoming season. Easily 4-5 teams that are Final 4 contenders and another 4-6 that can contend. UConn as a top 4 team is reasonable.

Reaction Score
Although the talent is certainly there, it remains to be seen as to how this team is going to come together. I am anxious to see that. I am also very optimistic that the puppet master will pull the strings to make this a championship team.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hmmm, seems to be a team missing from that Top 25. :D
And i can't believe how quickly the coach disappeared. That still seems fishy to me.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This list is "aptly" named, "way too early." No one has had an official practice yet, let along a game. One can justify any particular position they care to take on paper. Getting a talent pool to jell, come together and play as a cohesive unit on BOTH ends of the court over the course of a season is something else. It gives us some new fodder to discuss and debate.

I'll be interested in the rankings at the Christmas break compared to this one. Sometimes potential rises up to claim its projected place in the polls, and sometimes it doesn't. I think the usual teams ranked in the top 5 will not disappoint. I'm hoping for some new verbals to UConn in October, since we didn't get any in September. It's been so long, I can't remember the last one UConn received....who was it, Saylor or Brady? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Mississippi State at #6?

That's a lot of pressure on Nikki McCray-Penson. I'm guessing she needs a year to get through her rookie errors as a hc. I do wish her well though - just not too well.
Which teams ranked below #6 do you think should be ranked ahead of MSU?

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Mississippi State at #6?

Weren't we #3 the last time?

We only even dropped because Vic is gone.

Reaction Score

You were 9 in the last "real" poll. Lost your head coach and (I believe) a couple of transfer. A first year HC is supposed to raise you into second seed territory?

Not pulling against ya'll (except two or three times a year), but that's a great expectation for a first year HC.

Reaction Score
Mississippi State at #6?

Rickea Williams is a decent bet to be a NPOY candidate.

Their front court figures to be as good and deep as anyone.

they have an experienced PG, a stable of decent guard/wing options and a high level freshman wing coming in.

I'm not sure they're not underrated at #6, but it's an open question until they play some games whether Nikki will be able to get the same kind of performance that Vic did.

Reaction Score
....there might be concern on some teams that Paige Bueckers' and Evina Westbrook's skill sets overlap ...

Is this a reason for concern or for optimism? Both are considered combo guards so they can handle the ball, shoot/score and pass. They are both 6'. One was a No 1 recruit and the other No 2.
Yeah, Geno must have this at the top of his "concerns" list.

The Bueckers media show last winter was an almost daily event as national media took turns on feature articles. ESPN is simply giving other teams and players some love now and not overdoing what will be (IMO), the story of the season.

I'm in agreement with the top 3 teams. And it's actually nice to see "Early top 25" instead of "20/21 season in doubt".

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Maybe they also factored in the loss of Bibby and Espinoza.

#3 seemed a bit lofty, to be honest. But everybody has question marks.

Reaction Score
Breakdown by conference:

ACC- 5,7,20,23
B1G- 12,16,17,21,25
B12- 3,18
BE- 4,19
PAC12- 2,8,9,10,15,
SEC--- 1,6,11,13,14,

plus Missouri St & Gonzaga

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Breakdown by conference:

ACC- 5,7,20,23
B1G- 12,16,17,21,25
B12- 3,18
BE- 4,19
PAC12- 2,8,9,10,15,
SEC--- 1,6,11,13,14,

plus Missouri St & Gonzaga
I see the PAC12 and SEC at the end of the season only having 5 ranked at the most. B1G most likely only 4. There will be some other conferences getting in the Top 25 at the end of the season.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Interesting but likely accurate list and somewhat order for the “way too early”
I’m intrigued by which transfers are going to apply for RS vs immediate eligibility. Looks like the Kentucky trio will sit this year.

I find it hard to not think Texas will enter the top 25 before season end.

I’m also intrigued by what Oregon and Oregon State will look like in the PAC-12 and keep an eye on Arizona. They didn’t mention the addition of BIG 12 FOY Shania Pellington who will help them.

Don’t really understand the Westbrook/Bueckers comment. There should be plenty of playing time and you could see 4 guards and ONO or 4 guards and Griffin or 4 guards and Edwards. GA has lots of combinations he can use.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
The WBB preseason poll is usually pretty straight forward right through the season with the top 15 schools. They may jump up and down during the season (but not far) but at seasons end it's usually spot on....with few exceptions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom