Way too early mock WNBA draft from ESPN | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Way too early mock WNBA draft from ESPN

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I believe MooseJaw was jokingly implying that you were the second of two spectators?
Thank you Cuango, yes, I was joking, something that seems to be in short supply on the BY. I try not to be wired so tight that the littlest things get my undies in a bundle. On most of my posts I try to take a lighter side. I'am not interested in 6 paragraphs on every stat or each play on the court or in the BY. I enjoy trying to start thought and discussions on players and games. I find sarcasm essential in life, for me the best comedy. I understand that a lot of BY members enjoy one stat after another, and that's OK. there are many reasons to enjoy the BY while gravitating to the threads and post that hit home for each member. I respect everyone's tilt and perspective. almost all members, expect the spies from places like ND, SC or LSU are on the BY because they love, enjoy, and are hooked on the greatest all-time leader of WCBB, our Huskies.;)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That's why I noted the Collective Bargaining Agreement is up in 2025. If that affects incoming rookies that season, there could be a serious bump there, given how much NIL has affected who earns what...
I'm not sure that's how it works. I would suggest that the salary pool is more closely aligned with WNBA profitability. Suggesting that somehow just because people are able to make more money through NIL means that more money would automatically be available in the WNBA probably is incorrect.

Reaction Score
Thank you Cuango, yes, I was joking, something that seems to be in short supply on the BY. I try not to be wired so tight that the littlest things get my undies in a bundle. On most of my posts I try to take a lighter side. I'am not interested in 6 paragraphs on every stat or each play on the court or in the BY. I enjoy trying to start thought and discussions on players and games. I find sarcasm essential in life, for me the best comedy. I understand that a lot of BY members enjoy one stat after another, and that's OK. there are many reasons to enjoy the BY while gravitating to the threads and post that hit home for each member. I respect everyone's tilt and perspective. almost all members, expect the spies from places like ND, SC or LSU are on the BY because they love, enjoy, and are hooked on the greatest all-time leader of WCBB, our Huskies.;)
I’ll concede being hooked on the greatest wbb board in the world. I’d argue about the rest even if I know it’s a losing argument just to stir the pot a bit. Right @Dillon77 ?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I'm not sure that's how it works. I would suggest that the salary pool is more closely aligned with WNBA profitability. Suggesting that somehow just because people are able to make more money through NIL means that more money would automatically be available in the WNBA probably is incorrect.
Sigh. My initial comment on this whole give and take had more to do with why a person making decent NIL money would want to go into the WNBA to take a rather paltry starting rookie salary in 2024. My shorthand comment here mixes and matches a few previous comments and, upon reviewing, looks wrong. They're not tied together.

What I was saying over a number of posts are:

- The CBA is being re-negotiated in 2025, which is one reason why so many players who extended their contracts until 2025. Yes, of course the league is going to bargain based on profitability (and even projected profitability).
However, if things go well for all concerned, starting salaries could be adjusted upwards, perhaps enough...

- To join with/augment the NIL monies that certain players are earning, making the WNBA a more palatable choice.
After the Covid exemptions end, there's really no choice, but that's another story.

Reaction Score
I personally enjoy the input from BY visitors. Maybe Nan cleans up the crap before we ever see it?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I’ll concede being hooked on the greatest wbb board in the world. I’d argue about the rest even if I know it’s a losing argument just to stir the pot a bit. Right @Dillon77 ?
To paraphrase those eternal hoops philosophers, The Talking Heads: "Same as it ever was." ;)

Reaction Score
The WNBA is ready to expand and the new team would be in San Francisco by 2025.....how many picks does a new team get?

Reaction Score
There were plenty of doubts in the preseason. Raven played some in the early season, but her starts didn’t happen til the stretch run. There are still questions about whether she is 100% what she was before the injury. Plus, Raven has been injured once. It’s twice for Paige.

The pros are unemotional. They look at everything. And it will be a factor they consider, If they consider Paige and Clark equal, 11 teams would choose Clark because of Paiges’ injury history - unless Minnesota trades for the first choice. It would cost them but I could see them trying it to get Paige to sell more tickets.
Was randomly thinking about this today. I think cuz I was impressed with some recent interviews of Raven Johnson. I forgot that this is her 3rd year of college basketball. She really could have more of a breakout season than ppl are anticipating.

Reaction Score
Was randomly thinking about this today. I think cuz I was impressed with some recent interviews of Raven Johnson. I forgot that this is her 3rd year of college basketball. She really could have more of a breakout season than ppl are anticipating.
Really only her second year of basketball because she blew out her knee in the second game of her freshman year

Reaction Score
Really only her second year of basketball because she blew out her knee in the second game of her freshman year
Right but I think the year helps. I thought she didn't look overwhelmed really last year. I think she'll step into the starting slot this year with a lot of confidence. She could be the legit second best player on the team. I wonder if Dawn expects that.

Reaction Score

She showed great composure during the FIBA Americas. Looking forward to see how this translates on the court with the team this season.

Reaction Score
She could be the legit second best player on the team. I wonder if Dawn expects that.
Dawn didn’t use her enough last year. Could be she just didn’t show enough in practice, or that Zia’s value to the team went beyond scoring and defense.

Reaction Score
Agree that right now you probably take Clark over Paige (well, I would take Paige but I think most non UCONN fans would reasonably take Clark). But it’s pretty easy to imagine Paige having a season that would make her a clear number 1. The biggest thing preventing that is how loaded the rest of the team is.
This draft is projected based on the player's results over a full year. If Paige and UConn win the Champtionship, you pick Paige #1. Otherwise, its a coin flip based on how she and Clark do.

Reaction Score
Dawn didn’t use her enough last year. Could be she just didn’t show enough in practice, or that Zia’s value to the team went beyond scoring and defense.
I think people that think SC is going to be vulnerable this season are delusional! First, they have one of the three or four best coaches in the country. They have a big who is 6’7”, already experienced in their system, and who has something to prove after playing behind Boston for two seasons, a returning from injury point guard who was #2 in her class behind only our own Azzi Fudd and who apparrently has been getting rave reviews as the SC season nears. They also have Chloe Kitts who imo may have been the best player on the recent u19 USA team that won gold. She is 6’2”/6’3” and is going to be a big problem for Gamecock opponents this season! Oh, and did I mention they got one of the best three point shooters from the portal in Tehina Paopao (42.4% last season)! They also have a veritable stable of big, highly ranked players (including Kitts) and to top it off, they have a smaller version of our own KK Arnold in Malaysia Fulwiley, the third ranked pg in 2022. She is supposedly even faster than Arnold! (Not better, thank God, but faster).
I’d better stop, as I’m beginning to scare myself!:rolleyes:
l still think we’re better, but the more I look at their program, the more I think they are right up there with us and LSU! Furthermore, though I was thinking Dawn’s stranglehold on the SEC women was in jeopardy with Kim’s portal haul, I’m not so sure abut that anymore. I think I’m still gonna go with Dawn’s squad to win the SEC!

Reaction Score
I think people that think SC is going to be vulnerable this season are delusional! First, they have one of the three or four best coaches in the country. They have a big who is 6’7”, already experienced in their system, and who has something to prove after playing behind Boston for two seasons, a returning from injury point guard who was #2 in her class behind only our own Azzi Fudd and who apparrently has been getting rave reviews as the SC season nears. They also have Chloe Kitts who imo may have been the best player on the recent u19 USA team that won gold. She is 6’2”/6’3” and is going to be a big problem for Gamecock opponents this season! Oh, and did I mention they got one of the best three point shooters from the portal in Tehina Paopao (42.4% last season)! They also have a veritable stable of big, highly ranked players (including Kitts) and to top it off, they have a smaller version of our own KK Arnold in Malaysia Fulwiley, the third ranked pg in 2022. She is supposedly even faster than Arnold! (Not better, thank God, but faster).
I’d better stop, as I’m beginning to scare myself!:rolleyes:
l still think we’re better, but the more I look at their program, the more I think they are right up there with us and LSU! Furthermore, though I was thinking Dawn’s stranglehold on the SEC women was in jeopardy with Kim’s portal haul, I’m not so sure abut that anymore. I think I’m still gonna go with Dawn’s squad to win the SEC!
And yet, there are many questions.

Can Cardosa stay out of foul trouble and give us 30 minutes per game when needed? Who backs her up?

Does our stable of bigs have enough offensive skills to go with their athleticism?

Will we be able to hit open threes?

Consistency? Chemistry? Leadership? Closing out the tight games ? Mental toughness especially on the road? Can Walker perform at this level nearly as well as she did at JUCO? Can she hold her own (or nearly) against a Tamari Key? Can Poa Poa defend well?

Oh sure, we’re gonna win a bunch of games but what do we do against the cream of the crop we play? UConn, LSU, Notre Dame, Utah, Maryland, UNC, Tennessee (twice), ole Miss, Duke? how do we respond to the next opponent after a big win -or a close loss?

We SHOULD BE top 8 quality based on athleticism? But can we be Top 4 and compete for a championship?

I trust Dawn to get the best out of our players but is it enough to keep us at a top contender level?

I’m not as sold on Kitt’s ability to produce at this level this early.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And yet, there are many questions.

Can Cardosa stay out of foul trouble and give us 30 minutes per game when needed? Who backs her up?

Does our stable of bigs have enough offensive skills to go with their athleticism?

Will we be able to hit open threes?

Consistency? Chemistry? Leadership? Closing out the tight games ? Mental toughness especially on the road? Can Walker perform at this level nearly as well as she did at JUCO? Can she hold her own (or nearly) against a Tamari Key? Can Poa Poa defend well?

Oh sure, we’re gonna win a bunch of games but what do we do against the cream of the crop we play? UConn, LSU, Notre Dame, Utah, Maryland, UNC, Tennessee (twice), ole Miss, Duke? how do we respond to the next opponent after a big win -or a close loss?

We SHOULD BE top 8 quality based on athleticism? But can we be Top 4 and compete for a championship?

I trust Dawn to get the best out of our players but is it enough to keep us at a top contender level?

I’m not as sold on Kitt’s ability to produce at this level this early.
This is some pretty major thread drift from the topic of WNBA draft. Sorry!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Can Cardosa stay out of foul trouble and give us 30 minutes per game when needed?
I think that she will. She made such an enormous jump when she came to South Carolina from Syracuse. It's a good example of what good coaching can do for a player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom