Way too early mock WNBA draft from ESPN | The Boneyard

Way too early mock WNBA draft from ESPN

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1695313807276.png

It is going to be a very talent rich draft. Paige ending up with the Mercury and being tutored by Tarausi is a near perfect situation for her. I'm sure she'd rather be in Minnesota but otherwise that's a terrific landing spot for her.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Hasn't Reese already said she's coming back for a 5th season?

Looks like quite a few of those projected 1st Rounders are risky picks. Not as many sure things as I would've expected.

Reaction Score
This mock draft and others are one of the reasons I expect Paige to return for at least one year beyond this one. After her freshmen season it appeared Paige was heading for a spot on Uconn's Mt Rushmore. She already had a Player of the Year trophy, appeared likely to pick up one or two championships, and was probably the number 1 pick in her draft class.

To be compared to Diana, Stewie or Maya, she would need a couple of championships, or at least one, and be the top pick in her draft. The draft position probably doesn't happen this year but could a year or two later. The championships? We will see hopefully this year, but in terms of her legacy against a very high set of standards, she has some catching up to do compared to where she was positioned after her first season.

The NIL environment also makes it more likely she could stay and the time for complete recovery as well. It isn't always true, but some players don't really get back to 100% until their second year back from an ACL injury. In that case Paige could be better positioned to be the first pick the year after this one.

Anyway there are multiple reasons Paige could return, and not being the first pick in the draft is one of them.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
This mock draft and others are one of the reasons I expect Paige to return for at least one year beyond this one. After her freshmen season it appeared Paige was heading for a spot on Uconn's Mt Rushmore. She already had a Player of the Year trophy, appeared likely to pick up one or two championships, and was probably the number 1 pick in her draft class.

To be compared to Diana, Stewie or Maya, she would need a couple of championships, or at least one, and be the top pick in her draft. The draft position probably doesn't happen this year but could a year or two later. The championships? We will see hopefully this year, but in terms of her legacy against a very high set of standards, she has some catching up to do compared to where she was positioned after her first season.

The NIL environment also makes it more likely she could stay and the time for complete recovery as well. It isn't always true, but some players don't really get back to 100% until their second year back from an ACL injury. In that case Paige could be better positioned to be the first pick the year after this one.

Anyway there are multiple reasons Paige could return, and not being the first pick in the draft is one of them.
I have a feeling both Paige and Azzi will stay 2 more years. I think if UCONN wins the NC this year, there is a small chance Paige leaves early, but I guess a lot not only depends on what she wants her legacy to be, but how much she enjoys the college life vs. the pro life.

Clearly she will do what she feels is best for her, but selfishly, I would love to see her stay 2 years and go out with 2 NC's and at least 1 more NPOY.

Reaction Score
Does Paige really have three years of eligibility left?

Reaction Score

Looks like quite a few of those projected 1st Rounders are risky picks. Not as many sure things as I would've expected.

So has Paige and Clark but that doesn’t mean anything. And you never know what will happen once the year ends

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In most drafts, there is uncertainty as to which players will be available, because college juniors who turn 22 have the option of leaving or staying. This year, that factor is in play, but it is swamped by the number of seniors, all of whom could leave or all of whom could take a 5th/Covid year.

Reaction Score

Reese is making so much money in college she would benefit from staying in school. Her popularity as a pro most likely would be lower than what she is experiencing at LSU.

Reaction Score
The good thing is all the players will see how the draft stacks up before having to decide on whether to stay in college or not. Unlike many I don't see Paige staying two more years when she will be like Jordan when she finally goes pro. She will get all the endorsements and make a ton of money as a pro if she can have a healthy season. Azzi is another player I would expect to go pro when her time comes. Her game is very well suited for the WNBA and she is another player that can transform a franchise.

Reaction Score
I’ll be very surprised if Paige isn’t on the roster in November of ‘24! Regardless of whether she wins her championship this season, why would she leave UConn, a place where she is (by far) the biggest star on campus, universally adored, and where she is already making far more money than she’ll make in the W? (even if that is not strictly true, as her sponsors will likely follow her there, she clearly makes plenty of $ already here at UConn)
No one knows but Paige herself of course, but an added benefit would be further strengthening that knee ( and the rest of her body) before embarking on what will likely be a grueling pro career.
I think it is likely she will want to play in Europe as well, where she will be able to make boatloads of money! If so, she will want to make sure her body is as prepared as possible. Finally, I think she stays in order to cement her standing as one of the all time greats here at UConn!

Reaction Score
So has Paige and Clark but that doesn’t mean anything. And you never know what will happen once the year ends
Did Paige really? Even Clark insinuated it but I feel like she didn't outright say she would come back. Paige and Clark are pro ready imo and probably have been since their freshman year. But it's definitely an interesting decision either way. Im not sure Reese is as ready.
In any event I liked the mock draft. Cardoso going to Minny, battling Dorka for a roster spot..
It's interesting Diamond Johnson is not on the list.
And Hailey Van Lith going top 5 is pretty cool. I know she has her critics.
I think I like ledger walker more than Amoore but if VTech can repeat their success id have to give her the credit she is due.

Reaction Score
If you want a potential superstar, you take Clark. If you want a potential superstar with injury history, you take Paige.
Nah. These takes are wild.

1) Both Clark and Bueckers will be great additions to the teams that draft them, when they declare for the draft.

2) Injury history (or lack of) during college won't affect these players' draft status in my opinion. Teams complete their due diligence and still select players who have history of injuries. Look at Dallas taking a chance on Lopez-Senechal and Soares.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I don't see Brink up there, though she'll have a chance to broaden her game and show stamina and strength this season.
Show strength? She's been showing strength her entire career. Are you still fooled because she is thin? I saw her during her Fr. year going toe to toe w/ several post players she was probably giving up 50 lbs. to, and they were not able to move her on the block. She's plenty strong, and has been all along.

I don't think stamina is an issue either, her PT has been limited at times by foul trouble, and also an incredibly deep post rotation at Stanford.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Show strength? She's been showing strength her entire career. Are you still fooled because she is thin? I saw her during her Fr. year going toe to toe w/ several post players she was probably giving up 50 lbs. to, and they were not able to move her on the block. She's plenty strong, and has been all along.

I don't think stamina is an issue either, her PT has been limited at times by foul trouble, and also an incredibly deep post rotation at Stanford.
I hear you. I see different things. Stanford has done a very good job of using her in ways that don't lay bare her weaknesses.

Reaction Score
Nah. These takes are wild.

1) Both Clark and Bueckers will be great additions to the teams that draft them, when they declare for the draft.

2) Injury history (or lack of) during college won't affect these players' draft status in my opinion. Teams complete their due diligence and still select players who have history of injuries. Look at Dallas taking a chance on Lopez-Senechal and Soares.
I kept my take pretty factual. Two potential superstars and one has injury history. I didn't interject anything about the draft. If these two come out the same year they are 1a and 1b to me. Both will be superstars in the W IMO.

Reaction Score
I kept my take pretty factual. Two potential superstars and one has injury history. I didn't interject anything about the draft. If these two come out the same year they are 1a and 1b to me. Both will be superstars in the W IMO.
The tone of both are what made me say what I said. Both points can be true without the jab/poke at the rival when making the point.

Reaction Score
It’s all about Azzi. Paige won’t leave until she does.
Could be, Bone Dog, but at that stage of their (basketball) lives, considering they almost certainly won't be playing together in the WNBA, you really think Paige will base her decision on the course of her career on what Azzi does?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom