Way too early 2019 mock draft | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Way too early 2019 mock draft

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Well you said Stevens would be NPOY this year Cam :rolleyes: It does not make sense that you would promote Stevens at 2 in the draft when she clearly did not show any defensive prowess for man to man and yet you try to put down KLS. From watching and then hearing KLS played with the injuries she did this year and still played at both ends, it comes off as a little strange.

Actually, I said Stevens had the potential to be the best player on UConn (and for stretches, she was). As an aside, Stevens did show good defensive acumen on the help side, but had trouble with certain players one-on-one (A'Ja Wilson for example).

The professional game is all about potential. Stevens' ceiling is much, much higher -- in terms of ability to get better -- than any other player in the draft not named Diamond DeShields.

Furthermore, I am analyzing this from the professional game perspective (full disclosure -- I consulted with the Phoenix Mercury on drafts, including 2004 and 2005, watched film with the Mercury GM, and was in the draft war room), not a collegiate one (which your post does).

You then bring up Durr and Ogunbowale, both of which show no defensive prowess and show a much lower IQ and aversion to getting the ball to their teammates.

As I explained, it is much easier to teach certain things (e.g., becoming a better shooter, becoming a better on-ball or off-ball defender) than it is to improve vertical leap, athleticism, speed, etc. The latter represent natural tools/gifts.

And are you saying it is much more difficult for white girls to become more athletic?

Where did I say that...or anything close to it? Please point to my post and any comment that I made about race. It is offensive that you would even post such a suggestion, much less accuse me of doing so (notably absent from your post is any comment from me about race or anything else about any white player other than KLS). Truly offensive, which is why I am bringing in @HuskyNan and the moderators into this.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
If you find it offensive then you made an offensive comment that KLS is not athletic which is not true so that was my only summation was that she is white. Plus you say that the traits can be learned but you have a player in KLS who is 6' 3" with the skills already that you say can be learned. Interesting that you don't point out how will players in the W guard a player her size with those skills. And most GMs would not pass on a player with the training she has had and those skills.

When Stevens was in the game Uconn had to resort to Zone and I never saw her show ability to react to the offense when there was a switch necessary as she always got caught and that seemed to be what frustrated Geno the most. But again you talk about potential and athleticism and yet KLS has shown a lot of growth at Uconn which in turn shows that she has that potential you want to talk about.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
If you find it offensive then you made an offensive comment that KLS is not athletic which is not true so that was my only summation was that she is white.

Just to be clear...

You made a conclusion based on nothing I said in my post, but did so sua sponte. When I took issue with your unwarranted conclusion, stating it was, in fact, unwarranted and also offensive, that means, per your post above, that I made an offensive comment in comparing KLS' athleticism and natural gifts/tools to those of other players - which is what basketball analysis is - even though you brought up race, you made the initial unwarranted conclusion, and you took it to a place outside of basketball skillset.

Got it.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I made an easy conclusion on your remarks. I also think I was correct in making that conclusion. The analysis was not based on "athletic" ability as you are insulting a player who has shown that she is capable of leaping and running just like athletes of all colors can.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I am still on the fence about both McCowan more athletic than Brown and seems to have the potential to cover further away from the basket and Brown who is way to slow to cover any big in the W but can finish better at the rim. Both or one could be lottery but I will wait to watch this coming season. The only for sure lottery at this moment for me is KLS, the other 3 could be from a short number of players which will be decided upon over the year and what a team needs come draft time.

I agree. Lou will be top 3. You rarely find a combination of that size with her shooting range, skills, toughness and IQ. She had a tremendous season playing with shredded ligaments in her ankle. She'll only get stronger and better.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I agree. Lou will be top 3. You rarely find a combination of that size with her shooting range, skills and IQ. She had a tremendous season playing with shredded ligaments in her ankle. She'll only get stronger and better.

I agree Cat.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I made an easy conclusion on your remarks.

You made a conclusion based on things I never said, issues I never raised, and on discussion points that were clearly outside of basketball skillset and professional potential which I made. That is not an "easy" conclusion; that is an "unwarranted" one.

I also think I was correct in making that conclusion.

As the expression goes, "Good thing you do not get paid for thinking." ;)

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Actually I do get paid for thinking so sorry to disappoint you and I won't apologize for making money. And again I disagree with what you said on all accounts. Just as I disagreed on your accounts of Stevens.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well sounds like someone didn’t watch our team much this year or maybe has some other issues. There are some great replays showing KLS finishing fingertips at the rim and beating a lot of athletes down the court, how’d she do that I wonder.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
UnhealthyFondAnophelesmosquito-max-1mb.gif

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Yep, Turner's size says "4" but her skill set says "5". She's not going to get taller, so it's either learn the skills of a 4 or try to make it as undersized 5. Her career prospects are much better if she can manage the former.

Turner IMO definitely had the better potential pre injury. Lets hope that she will come back as strong if not better than she was.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Also, as a small forward/bigger guard/wing, she could be defending players like Elena Delle Donne (who was at the three on offense and defense last year in Washington)

Elena isn't especially quick herself. And she's a good example with respect to KLS because as you note she plays the 3 and she's not a great individual defender. KLS can't guard Maya? Ok, who can? You're not drafting KLS for a defensive stopper. I rarely watch games specifically with defense in my mind but my instinct is that KLS is a better individual defender than EDD.

Lou might go after McCowan and Durr but I don't see many others that would go in front of her.

Reaction Score
Yes a full year and WNBA season to see how things turn out. I must admit that I am excited for this coming WNBA season.

I am too!! Will LA be the team to beat or will Minn, Conn, or even Phoenix take that spot?
LA is my team, I tend to root for more. As one of my fave players are on that team.

The Wings should be really interesting too, with the addition of Cambridge and the rookies they got in the draft. I think they may surprise a couple people. However, not that much of a fan of Fred.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
As I noted before—I don’t think you can compare the two based on stats and I agreed the stats favored Collier. Shepard played against a more difficult schedule and was playing out of her natural position this year. She has 3pt ability (she took many at Nebraska) but didn’t utilize that part of her game this past year playing in the low post. Watch both of them play and evaluate them on that.

If you go by stats alone, Natalie Butler would’ve been the sure fire #1 pick in the draft.
Good points. Although SOS, 1 vs 2, is not really that much of a factor.

Eye test for me, gives the edge to Collier. Eye test brings in agility, court speed which all favor Collier.

Reaction Score
I think A’ja will start at the 4 with Harrison at the 5. She’s listed as a Center but I think Bill plans on using her in multiple scenarios.
I like Izzy Harrison. Make it happen Izzy. If she can raise her game one more level she’ll be a really good player.

Reaction Score
I know Asia Durr gets tons of press but I can’t see her being a #1 pick. I don’t think she is very strong body wise and not as good a ball handler as you think in the open court. Not exactly fast either and too streaky of a shooter.

Reaction Score
I like Izzy Harrison. Make it happen Izzy. If she can raise her game one more level she’ll be a really good player.

I like her as well. She has always impressed me since her UT days. She is injured so she isn’t with the team right now so I can see A’ja starting out with either Coffey or Hamby. I don’t think Bill will play Bone and A’ja together a lot but anything can happen.

Reaction Score
So we are about 3-5 games in for all teams. Based on what I am seeing Indiana could use a Big in next years draft. Good thing for them they have 2 to choose from that could really help them. Especially having K. Mitchell on the perimeter. They are currently 0-5 and I don't see it getting better.

Las Vegas needs help too, personally I think another big Brown or McCowan to help Wilson. I think KLS would even be a good pick up for next year.

Minnesota could use another big also that can play big minutes as Fowles isn't getting any younger.

Reaction Score
View attachment 30944
See why there’s no room for Mabrey in the first round? Things begin to fall off a cliff for me after Laksa at #14, but Mabrey could easily drop off the 2nd round.
I think this list looks good but I don’t see anyway Napheesa isn’t the first PF off the board.

Reaction Score
With all due respect to her tremendous collegiate accomplishments, I think it is a fair question to ask if Katie Lou Samuelson is the second best player prospect for the 2019 WNBA Draft.

At #2, you take the best player available, irrespective of position (see Bouie, Sam and Jordan, Michael). You want someone who has All Star/all-league potential. ..........
But if I am drafting between #4 and #8 and I have a chance to draft KLS, I am seriously considering doing so.
I respect your opinion and your points. I think you focused a lot of what she is not and left off the TREMENDOUS skills and abilities that made her one of the finalist for best player in the country. You talk about ceiling but ignore what Geno said about her which is that there maybe a few better scorers, better passers, etc... but no one that has the complete level of ability/skill when combining them. I am sure if I read the scouting report on her idol, Larry Bird, they made similar critiques.

She is able to shoot from anywhere on the floor, take care of and distribute the ball, understands how to fit in to both offense and defensive systems, is unselfish and is willing to put the work in. Pretty strong foundation to start with when picking a player to fit in and contribute right away.

I also think your evaluation of how easy it is to teach someone certain basketball skills, especially shooting the ball, is overstated. If it was so easy then why with such a super athletically gifted player (also a guard!) like Gabby unable to develop a dependable mid-range game much less a 3pt shot? Was it the coaching? KLS lead the nation in 3pt shooting! She was the only player over 6'1" on the entire top 50. She finished in top 15 in A/T ratio and was the tallest in top 50 (only 3 over 6' in the country, Napheesa another.) These are rare skills at her height which further her "potential" at the next level.

The only knock/concern I have with KLS is that she did not take over in the two losses in the FF. However, look at the stats, she did not have bad games either. That said, this is a team sport and not everyone has to be that player. She has shown that ability in other games however (remember the game before the loss LV?) I just hope she does it in a manner that leads UConn to a NC this upcoming season.

Reaction Score
So we are about 3-5 games in for all teams. Based on what I am seeing Indiana could use a Big in next years draft. Good thing for them they have 2 to choose from that could really help them. Especially having K. Mitchell on the perimeter. They are currently 0-5 and I don't see it getting better.

Las Vegas needs help too, personally I think another big Brown or McCowan to help Wilson. I think KLS would even be a good pick up for next year.

Minnesota could use another big also that can play big minutes as Fowles isn't getting any younger.
Gulich would have been great for any of the teams you mentioned. Gulich with that 8th pick instead of Vivians? Lynx didn’t have a shot at her. Mercury needs to find more minutes for her. They are a poor rebounding team even with Griner. Mercury guards are not good besides Taurasi. January, Mitchell, Turner no thank you. Dumb move trading 8th pick for January. She’s not good. She used to be special. They could have had Vivians.

Reaction Score
Gulich would have been great for any of the teams you mentioned. Gulich with that 8th pick instead of Vivians? Lynx didn’t have a shot at her. Mercury needs to find more minutes for her. They are a poor rebounding team even with Griner. Mercury guards are not good besides Taurasi. January, Mitchell, Turner no thank you. Dumb move trading 8th pick for January. She’s not good. She used to be special. They could have had Vivians.

I mean they did beat the Lynx last night. Bonner scored 20+ points. However, Pheonix needed her also for when Griner is in foul trouble. I agree with you though they need better guards. Durr, KLS, and Ogunbowale would be good additions for them. They need better guards that is for sure. I also think the Lynx age is starting to show.

I think Brown and McCowan will go 1 & 2 if not 1 & 3. They will be the 3rd and 4th largest in the league only behind 6'9 Griner and 6'8 Cambage.

Brown needs to get in even better shape and McCowan needs to add range to her shot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom