Way too early 2019 mock draft | The Boneyard

Way too early 2019 mock draft

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Pretty bad top 12 if you ask me. Durr at 1? Brianna Turner as a 2nd round draft pick? Throwing this together quickly, I'd go with:

1. Brown-big, offensively skilled front court player. Still has great upside. Needs better conditioning though.
2. KLS-as polished an offensive player as we've seen since Stewart.
3. McCowan-most physically imposing player in the country. Unique because she's like a more aggressive Griner in many ways but doesn't have the athleticism that Brittney does.
4. Shepard-one of the most unique players in this class....if she continues to get in better shape and excels in the high post next year, I think a lot of teams will have a hard time passing on her. She could be a better Janel McCarville 2.0.
5. Ogunbowale-strong athletic guard who can get her shot at any moment. Has made big strides at ND.
6. Collier-good inside out player, very skilled offensively. Quietly does everything well.
7. Durr-fantastic scorer, needs to show more though to get bumped up higher.
8. Turner-would be top 4 if she wasn't so injury prone. Could be the best athlete in this class.
9. Gustafson-I honestly haven't seen much of her but her stats are off the charts.
10. Cunningham-extremely skilled and efficient player
11. Anigwe-looked like a top kid her first couple of years before an underwhelming junior year. She has time to raise her stock again though.
12. Higgs-another one who has improved steadily in college. Extremely quick and athletic.

Reaction Score
Pretty bad top 12 if you ask me. Durr at 1? Brianna Turner as a 2nd round draft pick? Throwing this together quickly, I'd go with:

1. Brown-big, offensively skilled front court player. Still has great upside. Needs better conditioning though.
3. McCowan-most physically imposing player in the country. Unique because she's like a more aggressive Griner in many ways but doesn't have the athleticism that Brittney does.
4. Shepard-one of the most unique players in this class....if she continues to get in better shape and excels in the high post next year, I think a lot of teams will have a hard time passing on her. She could be a better Janel McCarville 2.0.
5. Ogunbowale-strong athletic guard who can get her shot at any moment. Has made big strides at ND.
6. Collier-good inside out player, very skilled offensively. Quietly does everything well.
8. Turner-would be top 4 if she wasn't so injury prone. Could be the best athlete in this class.
9. Gustafson-I honestly haven't seen much of her but her stats are off the charts.
11. Anigwe-looked like a top kid her first couple of years before an underwhelming junior year. She has time to raise her stock again though.
12. Higgs-another one who has improved steadily in college. Extremely quick and athletic.
I love debating , so let's start lol (in good fun). Brown at 1 is a very good probability and Lou at 2 is too. I believe they are interchangeable because of team needs. Lou is the best player available that doesn't have the size of Kalani. I love Jess Shepard, and I'll think she'll he a "steal" in the next draft, but I can't see her going that high.
I think her WNBA worth will peak this upcoming season with her being in the high post against Turners low post (and I agreed Turner is too low on this mick draft.). Shepard is a great passer for her size, and she has some range. The 2017 and 2018 drafts should be very good. I'm very excited for the league.

Reaction Score
Actually I guess the two of us agreed lol. My comment was towards anyone who disagrees, which will provide even more insight.

Reaction Score
what an absolutely awesome top 8-9 players next year. i mean i honestly see the top 8 or 9 as all-stars at the next level.
i don't know how deep the class is but it has to be one of the most top-heavy classes

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

no need to get carried away... you're safe around these parts
images

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Pretty good bballnut. My only comment would be I think Brown and Shepard could be too slow for the W but as you said it will depend on team needs.

Reaction Score
These drafts just continue to get better. Next year won't be a slouch either.

Reaction Score
Pretty good bballnut. My only comment would be I think Brown and Shepard could be too slow for the W but as you said it will depend on team needs.
You net it out well. Draft position a function of needs. Typically height and high scoring potential win out. No reason to upgrade UConn players or downgrade others but it is an interesting debate.

Reaction Score
Also after next years draft you will have a ton of Centers 6'5 or taller. Will Brittany still be as dominant in the years to come?

I can see Katie Lou being like Maya for a team.

Reaction Score
Griner isn’t as dominant as she should be right now.

I don't think so either. I truly think she rely's on her height and ability up to this point.

To be honest, I’m not seeing too much similarity.

Just her size and versatility I think in years to come she could have a game like Maya. Obviously she needs to develop more and won't depend on certain skills that Maya does, I just think she could be something really special.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Good list, thanks for putting together an alternate version.
Bill Laimbeer, who loves to collect as many "paint-eaters" as possible, might already be palpitating over the players in this draft (even with A'ja Wilson aboard): Brown, McCowan, Turner, Shepard, Anigwe, Gustafson, Collier. Whew!

As for order, totally depends on team needs, situation and philosophy, as pointed out by many others.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Difference between paint eaters in the NCAA and in the W where there is a defensive paint rule and players can draw you out and make you defend.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Griner isn’t as dominant as she should be right now.

Last year, Griner averaged 21.9 ppg, 7.6 rpg, and 2.5 bpg, while shooting 57.7 percent from the floor and 81.5 percent from the foul line.

#1 in the WNBA in scoring (by 2.0 ppg)
#1 in field goals made
#1 in blocks
#1 in PIE*
#3 in field goal percentage
#9 in rebounding

*Pie (PIE) – An estimate of the player’s statistical contributions while on the court in relation to the game totals. If all players and teams performed equally, player PIE Ratings would be 10% and teams would be 50%.

Griner played 26 (of 34) games last year and blocked 65 shots, by herself. For 34 games, the Connecticut Sun, as a team, blocked 98 shots, with San Antonio at 103 and Indiana at 104.

How much more dominant should she be?

bballnut90

Reaction Score
no need to get carried away... you're safe around these parts
images
Haha--well in my defense, 6-3 G/Fs who shoot 53% from the field, 47.5% from deep and have a 3:1 A/TO ratio just don't grow on trees. I don't think she's the best prospect since Stewart, but she's definitely the best offensive player in this class when you look at efficiency and scoring ability.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

Shepard is actually very quick even if she doesn't appear to be at first glance. She more than held her own going up against 6-4 Hebard, UCONN's frontline, and 6-7 McCowan...all players who are sure fire top 10 draft picks. Very crafty and has inside out ability. We'll likely see her in the high post next year where her strengths will be highlighted. Also an exceptional passer, especially for her size.

Brown also does a great job of creating space inside and consistently gets deep position on the low block. She also finishes at an extremely consistent rate. Her short comings are that she's never been a lockdown defender, and she gets winded in fast paced games. I think she more than makes up for any lack of quickness with her size and touch inside. She does need to prove herself against stronger competition this season, as she struggled against Gulich in the regionals.

Reaction Score
Last year, Griner averaged 21.9 ppg, 7.6 rpg, and 2.5 bpg, while shooting 57.7 percent from the floor and 81.5 percent from the foul line.

#1 in field goals made
#1 in blocks
#1 in PIE*
#9 in rebounding

*Pie (PIE) – An estimate of the player’s statistical contributions while on the court in relation to the game totals. If all players and teams performed equally, player PIE Ratings would be 10% and teams would be 50%.

Griner played 26 (of 34) games last year and blocked 65 shots, by herself. For 34 games, the Connecticut Sun, as a team, blocked 98 shots, with San Antonio at 103 and Indiana at 104.

She should be averaging close to or averaging double digit rebounds per game.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

#1 in field goals made
#1 in blocks
#1 in PIE*
#9 in rebounding

She should be averaging close to or averaging double digit rebounds per game.

If she is blocking 2.5 shots per game, should she be rebounding those as well?
And that is just counting the shots she blocks, not the shots she alters by her mere presence or the "threat" of a blocked shot.

Looking at a number and saying it should be higher does not indicate a lack of dominance.

Reaction Score

#1 in field goals made
#1 in blocks
#1 in PIE*
#9 in rebounding

Good, point but with many players coming that are a lot closer to her size she will have to work harder to have those numbers. However, she had great numbers last year.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Shepard is actually very quick even if she doesn't appear to be at first glance. She more than held her own going up against 6-4 Hebard, UCONN's frontline, and 6-7 McCowan...all players who are sure fire top 10 draft picks. Very crafty and has inside out ability. We'll likely see her in the high post next year where her strengths will be highlighted. Also an exceptional passer, especially for her size.

Brown also does a great job of creating space inside and consistently gets deep position on the low block. She also finishes at an extremely consistent rate. Her short comings are that she's never been a lockdown defender, and she gets winded in fast paced games. I think she more than makes up for any lack of quickness with her size and touch inside. She does need to prove herself against stronger competition this season, as she struggled against Gulich in the regionals.

Good points bball, just not that high on any of those players. Brown gets 1 foot layups thanks to also having Cox on her team but as we saw she had to be benched when they were in trouble. Shepard playing zone doesn't help her any for prep in the W. Great point about Gulich.

Reaction Score
Good points bball, just not that high on any of those players. Brown gets 1 foot layups thanks to also having Cox on her team but as we saw she had to be benched when they were in trouble. Shepard playing zone doesn't help her any for prep in the W. Great point about Gulich.

Gulich was hitting at a very high percentage. So I think that game has to stick with her and motivate her to better next season. However, one thing that does help her is shooting ability. She is a very high percentage shooter at different ranges and free throws. Conditioning will always be an issue and I think she is aware of it.

I'm interested in seeing how Turner comes back.

Reaction Score

#1 in field goals made
#1 in blocks
#1 in PIE*
#9 in rebounding

Only #3 in FG%?? Pfew - slacker!!

Reaction Score

She had a great season last year. She has been improving every year after (for me) a disappointing rookie season. I’m not saying Griner isn’t a great player. But have you seen Griner? There’s nobody like her. What I’m saying is with her tools, she should be unstoppable. If she had Maya’s heart and work ethic, she would be unstoppable.

Here’s a couple simple stats you didn’t recite.
In 5 years in the league:
0 MVP’s
With her tools should have
5 MVP’s

1 WNBA Championship
Should have
4 WNBA championships
(giving pass in 2015 when Taurasi and Taylor sat)

After the tank she went to a championship level team that includes Taurasi, Taylor, Dupree, and Bonner.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom