Way closer than 15 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Way closer than 15

Reaction Score
Moral victories are fine and all, but the committee is focusing more and more on advanced metrics, and tonight only hurt our Kenpom and Sagarin rankings because of how we fell off at the end.

We don’t have any losses to bad teams, but our play in these losses (and wins) has been so lackluster that it’s hurting us no matter the result of the game.

They’ll have to basically destroy AAC play to have a chance at an at large bid.

While this is something I've worried about as well, I'm not totally convinced that the committee is at the point where they're putting that much stock in the advanced metrics. That's not to say that they won't look at them, but 20 slots in KenPom can probably be offset by a big win or two. If you beat Auburn and split the Wichita/Nova games I think you give yourself a shot.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Glad they played hard for 35 minutes, but did anyone really think we were going to win that game?

So much sloppy play on offense, just can't win like that.

I will say I love Cobb and Diarra's effort out there and while he drives you crazy at times Adams puts in some crazy buckets driving in the lane.

Gotta get the Auburn win.

Reaction Score
While this is something I've worried about as well, I'm not totally convinced that the committee is at the point where they're putting that much stock in the advanced metrics. That's not to say that they won't look at them, but 20 slots in KenPom can probably be offset by a big win or two. If you beat Auburn and split the Wichita/Nova games I think you give yourself a shot.

Temple got in with a KenPom in the 80s a couple years back, so it's doable. Probably more influence now, especially with the committee focusing less on vanilla RPI and more on the win quality brackets, etc., which will naturally align closer to KenPom anyways.

Reaction Score
I will give that there was better effort tonight but still don't see this team making the tourney with that putrid offense.
Effort on defense will win us some games. The offense is challenged for sure and we get nothing from our front court (Larrier is more of a 3rd guard or SF).
I'm still hoping that Cobb and Carlton will come on in conference play.Both have talent and size even though we didn't see talent from either of them tonight.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
UCONN made a nice run in the 2nd half. Got real close, but there was a 4 minute stretch or so where AZ upped the lead to over 10 and UCONN ran out of time and gas (so to speak). I thought there was some really good ball movement at times, but punctuated by way too much 1 on 1 play. How hard can it be to teach the kids NOT to try to win the game on their own, especially when we can all see they clearly know how to play team ball. Is it just the kids refuse to do it for extended periods, or the coaches don't hold them accountable?

I also thought the defense did a good job of limiting AZ in the post, but they were on fire from beyond the arc. We don't have the horses to stay with a quality team like AZ, but I thought for the most part the effort was good.

Reaction Score
Halftime analyst stated something to the extent of, “UConn doing a great job of making this an ugly game and staying in it.”

Extremely disheartening hearing that as it’s simply the truth of the matter. If we want to beat talented teams such as Zona it’s going to be ugly and an absolute dog fight. Did we play with them for 35 minutes? Yes. But the brand is still extremely difficult to watch at times.

5 assists to 18 turnovers? I mean Jesus. You’re never going to win games like that, let alone versus a talented team like Zona, Cincy, Wichita or Nova.

We were 331st out of 351 in assists per game coming into tonight. Yet still, we’ll drop lower. Somethings. Got. To. Give.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Some of your post may be the booze talking but I pretty much agree with everything that you're saying.

Though I'm not happy we lost, I am happy that, for the first time all season, the team passed the "eye test" for at least 3/4 of the game. And by that I mean they looked like they wanted to compete and fought hard. Defense made huge strides against what was a clearly more talented Arizona team. Defended the 3 much better...many of the ones they hit in 2nd half were ridiculous.

Cobb played his best game of the year and wasn't intimidated by the Arizona trees.

Larrier had a horrible 1st half but looked fantastic in the 2nd.

If we can bring the game we played tonight to Auburn (with the exception of cutting down on sloppy turnovers), we win there I think.
I'm drunk so I want to make this perfectly clear. Don't post some bull about someone possibly having a buzz. You should appreciate the art of imbibing and posting.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The game was not closer than a 15-point game.

UConn cut it to a 1-point game and completely collapsed. They earned that deficit. Every point of it.

Reaction Score
In before you only post after loss chumps call it a “blowout” we had the ball with a chance to tie with 5 min to go so cash me outside brah with that weak crap. Not to complain but these refs were hoooooorrrrriiiiibbbbllllllleeeee. Zona with 13 team fouls all game? Might be a record low. Trier does enough to get ejected after we get our only call of the night and doesn’t get Td up. The effort on D was really great as Zona has a couple lotto picks and we hung tight. The difference was Zona hitting circus threes and Ristic spending 40 full minutes in the paint.

If we see this effort in all our AAC games we go 14-4 in league and finish 24-9 reg season and AAC tourney losing to WSU in title game we get an 8 seed. Go dogs.
I agree it was an encouraging effort tonight and some guys like Cobb showed things to be excited about. The fact though that you even have to point out if we see this effort every game shows doubt that we will. That’s been an issue since 14 and I bet the consensus on this board is we won’t see this effort consistently. Get more production down low, get to the line more and exhibit the heart they did tonight and we could have a very solid team.

Reaction Score
The last 3-5 minutes were a mess - but given the backdrop of the season, I'm not at all angry about their performance tonight a single, solitary iota. Based on what we've seen - I was scared to even play this game tonight as Arizona is a disaster match up literally everywhere - and not only did we play neck and neck with them, I thought we actively outplayed them for much of the game.

They went 7 for 10 in the second half from three - the majority of which were contested shots. So what are you going to do, exactly? We actually neutralized Ayton, got him in foul trouble, put up a heck of a fight on the boards and the simple truth of the matter is we don't have enough up from to stop him AND Ristic - and Ristic was the guy to challenge and he stepped up. He was arguably their best player tonight. To boot - when things COULD NOT go bad - they did - and they were always when we'd pull within a bucket or be down by one - then they'd hit the three. Or Adams/<fill in the guard> would turn the ball over. For two stretches, they happened in combination. We just don't have that game changer on the roster - don't have that knock down, lights out shooter - don't have that playmaker that's going to get us over the top against that caliber of a team. But taking the entire enchillada into consideration, I saw improvement tonight almost everywhere.

Diarra and Cobb did about as much as you can ask of them tonight, and kudos for Terry Larrier for getting into the mix and being more decisive on offense and not being afraid to be decisive. Just those things along made a world of difference. Not having a point guard murdered us tonight. Jalen just can't do it. Anderson clearly is uncomfortable doing it. Vital is capable for stretches, but it's not a spot for him, either. We're exactly where we were last year in that regard. That being said they're all talented enough to kind of hit shots here and there to keep us in the game and not totally make themselves ineffective.

I'm gonna get shot for saying this, but the Oregon game, the 1st half of the Michigan State game and about 35 minutes of this game are the best stretches of UConn hoops i've seen in years. Coppin State, Arkansas, Michigan St 2nd half... those games are maybe the worst. I'm not sure what this team is going to look like by the end of the season entirely, but they took a big step forward tonight, and i've been a guy who's been super gloom and doom on this team for the majority of the year. The effort they gave tonight for 35 minutes will win them a ton of in-conference games. Dare I say even bump off a team or two we shouldn't.

But it's just clear we lack a go-to weapon. We don't have a lights out shooter. We don't have a PG again. We lack depth and we're simply outsized up front. The effort, intensity and aggression that's been lacking though, that was more there tonight than it's been the last few games and that's a positive. My hope is they take positives out of tonight, maybe they sneak a win against Auburn, but my bigger worry is they continue to play better, put in good efforts and don't have much in the way of wins to show for it and the kids sulk off. I'm more confident after tonight though saying we have a few pieces that could be valuable heading forward than I felt yesterday, though.

Reaction Score
My other frustration with the effort - is it's been typical of this team the last few years... they'll give you enough to hang on but it'll disappear out of nowhere. My hope is they keep it up. If they do - they can reasonably right the ship.

Reaction Score
I have no problem with a UConn team that plays with heart and puts it all on the floor. The defense for the most part played well. Offensively looked decent in the second half. I thought Larrier played well. Adams and Vital at times looks lost and although I thought our bigs played with a lot of heart and I saw some good things, we just don’t have the beef down low to stop people and score. Hard to beat a good Arizona team when you have no inside game and no outside shooting. Team is limited to Larrier’s mid range jumper and Adams and our guards driving to the hoop with the occasional put back or three. Those are the real issues. These guys battled today, but we just don’t have the horses.

Reaction Score
Cobb is going to be a problem for traditional 4/5s. Although he is not a stretch 4 he is a mobile shifty one. I don’t know another like him in the league right now. Bagley? Cobb is not draymond cuz of the d and shot blocking and 3s. He is Anthony mason.
He is averaging 2 points a game. This is some spectacular leap of faith based on the body of work we have seen to date. Pump the brakes until he actually dominates one game inside please.

Reaction Score
Moral victories? Is that where we are at with the Uconn program? When they get beat by Mr. Integrity at Auburn, and then get embarrassed on national network TV at home by the team Uconn used to be, what will be your attitude then?

Reaction Score
After watching the final five minutes, God Bless all those on the boneyard that still walk away feeling positive. That being said, raise your hand if you ever during the game felt that UConn was going to win. Whoever has a hand up is simply lying. The outcome of this game was never in doubt and I refuse to devalue the UConn program by applauding them for a hard fought 35 out of 40 mins. Newsflash, most teams play hard.

Reaction Score
Closer than 15? Their star center was out in the first half. Otherwise it would have been 25. we scored 23 in the first half.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
In before you only post after loss chumps call it a “blowout” we had the ball with a chance to tie with 5 min to go so cash me outside brah with that weak crap. Not to complain but these refs were hoooooorrrrriiiiibbbbllllllleeeee. Zona with 13 team fouls all game? Might be a record low. Trier does enough to get ejected after we get our only call of the night and doesn’t get Td up. The effort on D was really great as Zona has a couple lotto picks and we hung tight. The difference was Zona hitting circus threes and Ristic spending 40 full minutes in the paint.

If we see this effort in all our AAC games we go 14-4 in league and finish 24-9 reg season and AAC tourney losing to WSU in title game we get an 8 seed. Go dogs.
We win that game easily with Alterique

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
He is averaging 2 points a game. This is some spectacular leap of faith based on the body of work we have seen to date. Pump the brakes until he actually dominates one game inside please.
Mason was not a big scorer either. Cobb will be like 4-4-4 guy. Calm down.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
5 assists to 18 turnovers?
We were 331st out of 351 in assists per game coming into tonight. Yet still, we’ll drop lower. Somethings. Got. To. Give.
Spot on. These results/statistics are a result of our "3 guard" lineup which is supposed to create ball movement, find openings, and limit turnovers due to ball control and offense out of transition ball. All of this from a HC which was a "pass first" oriented player for 13 NBA seasons. Where is the equation breaking down? Players, Coach, lack of talent, lack of listening, uncoachable, undisciplined, lack of respect. I know I missed some, but these tendencies seem to be the only consistency.

Reaction Score
Spot on. These results/statistics are a result of our "3 guard" lineup which is supposed to create ball movement, find openings, and limit turnovers due to ball control and offense out of transition ball. All of this from a HC which was a "pass first" oriented player for 13 NBA seasons. Where is the equation breaking down? Players, Coach, lack of talent, lack of listening, uncoachable, undisciplined, lack of respect. I know I missed some, but these tendencies seem to be the only consistency.
We are now 341 out of 351 in assists per game. But hey, as long as we’re getting the shots we want in our pro style offense with zero pros, then I’m sure we’ll be okay.

Reaction Score
Maybe the point of the game plan was to get him in foul trouble?

This. Ollie's strategy seemed to be to attack Ayton off the bounce and attempt to swarm/frustrate him on defense. It wasn't an accident we shut him down for stretches of the game.

Also, dude played for 27 minutes. It's not like he was that limited, minutes-wise. I think that's a pretty standard amount of minutes for a college big man, especially considering he is like 19 years old.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Also, dude played for 27 minutes. It's not like he was that limited, minutes-wise. .

^^ This!

The folks that say he was out for a big chunk of the first half and using that as an excuse for why we hung around are apparently struggling with the fact that he was there for most of the second half and we were still hanging around. Could it be that we were playing them pretty even, despite the quality of that one player???

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score

I agree. Atfer shutting the TV off, I though "ya know, these guys look ready for Conference play".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom