Waters | The Boneyard

Waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ran into a locally-famous CT public HS coach. Don't think he's too connected to the program, more connected to CBC/northeast AAU. Asked him about Waters. He seemed non-plussed, implied dad was too hands-on (wanted to be catered to), and that the kid is older than his grade by a lot.

Lots of these kids are old for their class, so not too much to worry about there. Don't even know if that's true. Anyone else hearing negative rumors or is my coach just salty and out-of-the-loop? I was kinda thinking of the kid as a phenom, honestly, and the Duke rumors made me nervous.

Anyone else hearing anything on Waters?! There was a time when I even thought we'd get an early commit from Waters...

Reaction Score
Ran into a locally-famous CT public HS coach. Don't think he's too connected to the program, more connected to CBC/northeast AAU. Asked him about Waters. He seemed non-plussed, implied dad was too hands-on (wanted to be catered to), and that the kid is older than his grade by a lot.

Lots of these kids are old for their class, so not too much to worry about there. Don't even know if that's true. Anyone else hearing negative rumors or is my coach just salty and out-of-the-loop? I was kinda thinking of the kid as a phenom, honestly, and the Duke rumors made me nervous.

Anyone else hearing anything on Waters?! There was a time when I even thought we'd get an early commit from Waters...
He's definitely old for his grade but he's a great player so I don't think it matters. What does matter is that he hasn't grown, kid is like 5'9 145 lbs. the sky was the limit when I thought he might grow to 6'1 but at his size there is most likely a ceiling.

Reaction Score
I think he's just older by one year, he's originally a 2016 kid.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
The only negatives with older age is that (1) they might be more physically dominant in high school thus inflating their rankings or perceived talent and (2) they might be in a bigger hurry to leave for the NBA. When you are 5'9 neither of those are really a concern. If he's going to be a 4 year player I'd rather have him when he's 20-23 than when he's 19-22 since you would think a little more maturity would come with age - both physical strength and not acting like an asshat off the court.

Reaction Score
Hands on dads happen all the time especially with kids that have aspirations of being NBA players. I would say we have to trust the Uconn staff on that one. If they think he is more trouble than he is worth, they'll stop recruiting. Its a privileged to play for Uconn and Kevin Ollie. If they think they are doing Uconn a favor by going to Uconn (when the time comes to make a decision) i'd have to trust that Ollie would make their decision easier for them.

On the flip side i'm not worried about his height, that kid can flat out ball imo. I think at the very least at the college level he is going to be a special player. Also his dad being hands on could also be a good thing as long as his dad isnt a tool. We shall see. I sure hope him and his dad have a good attitude and I sure hope he picks Uconn.

Reaction Score
I met his dad at a Brewster vs South Kent game and talked with him quite a bit, more than an hour. His son's game and development is certainly important and he is very involved, but he seemed like a very reasonable man. Driving to Wolfboro, NH for an away game, I think from New Haven, says that he is involved and vested basketball wise, but his emphasis was that "education comes first in our family" so you have that side too. His dad expects him to complete his high school next spring, but he didn't complete the thought as to what that implies, college or another year of post graduate prep school. He clearly loves his son, and his views are going to be integral to the college process, but I don't think it is a right call to view him in any light other than just a good dad trying to help his son the best he can. Tremont came over several times during foul shots so he certainly looks to him for encouragement, and I think the involvement is welcomed by him. All in all a solid family relationship.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I sure the staff evaluates the parents. Geno has said as much, in that an otherwise acceptable kid can get knocked out of consideration by high maintenance parents.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The kid is a year older than his class, but he's playing in a prep league where a lot of kids are a year older than their class.

He has an early birthday which might make him seem even older, but that's the sum of it.

As to the stories about him having an involved dad, well, good.

Reaction Score
thank God I thought you were going to tell me Roger Waters died! I was a little confused from the title of your thread:)
I was kind of hoping it was a Pink Floyd reunion thread myself.

Reaction Score

He's 17, and kid is a 4.0 student and sounds like he can graduate next year. Whether he's too hands on or not, his father has done a very good job raising a quality kid.

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
thank God I thought you were going to tell me Roger Waters died! I was a little confused from the title of your thread:)

I thought we lost John Waters.
john-waters-a-full-time-pervert_o_2345559.jpg

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
After two minutes of intense internet research, it would appear that Waters' (Tremont) best offer is from UConn. Others include Purdue, Seton Hall, Wake Forest, St. John's, and Yale per 247). Perhaps his interest in Dook will be a moot point if it is not reciprocated.

caw

Reaction Score
After two minutes of intense internet research, it would appear that Waters' (Tremont) best offer is from UConn. Others include Purdue, Seton Hall, Wake Forest, St. John's, and Yale per 247). Perhaps his interest in Dook will be a moot point if it is not reciprocated.

2017 is a ways off for some schools and offers.

Reaction Score
You're probably right. It seems like Duke has their eyes on different PGs for the 2017 class, so it probably won't amount to much.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
He'll be a husky. I just think he just wants the duke/uk type offer to prove something to himself. I don't think any of those types of schools are interested in a 5'9 pg who's viewed as a heavy uconn lean though.

Reaction Score
He'll be a husky. I just think he just wants the duke/uk type offer to prove something to himself. I don't think any of those types of schools are interested in a 5'9 pg who's viewed as a heavy uconn lean though.

He's grown to 5'9"? I don't think he's proven to be a heavy UConn lean anymore and there's a reason Duke doesn't want a smaller PG. While I realize Gilbert only has 2-3 inches on him he seems physically ready and would be my choice but I am only going by video so who's to say.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
He's grown to 5'9"? I don't think he's proven to be a heavy UConn lean anymore and there's a reason Duke doesn't want a smaller PG. While I realize Gilbert only has 2-3 inches on him he seems physically ready and would be my choice but I am only going by video so who's to say.

We try to get Gilbert and if we sign him, then 2017 is not so urgent and we try to get Waters/El Amin/other for the next year.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
The only way they're reuniting is if Waters and Gilmour die.

Sad, but true.

Although there was that one time, ten years ago...

Reaction Score
Also, for the people saying pass on Waters because he loves Duke, so did Ben Gordon. It's not that big of a deal.
wasn't the case with Freeman as well..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog