Watched practice tonight at the Rent | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Watched practice tonight at the Rent

Reaction Score
Don’t be shocked if Pindell outplays McKenzie Milton Thursday night. Getting good feedback on his improvement—mostly his comfort level and confidence. UCF receivers are not better than ours. Frankly, their O-line isn’t either. UCF comes in with an attitude born of misplaced hubris based on last year’s squad which was much better.
UConn will open lots of eyes. Dan-O will have a great game to make his debut on, and his insights on Edsall—coupled with our faster than expected improvement—will have the national audience rethinking our preseason ranking. I’m excited. I hope you are.

I'll go further than that. The UCF offensive line lost quite a bit since last season, and some star receivers. I think our defense will be the surprise of the game. Milton will be tough, but I predict our defense puts up 7 points.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lighter, faster guys. I wonder if we'll more route jumping? I am really curious to see what the D looks like. The practices seem like a lot of time is being spent on fundamentals, which is good, because it was needed and bad, because it was needed.

I expect better athleticism will allow us to play less conservatively. What that will look like? Who knows?

Reaction Score
Lighter, faster guys. I wonder if we'll more route jumping? I am really curious to see what the D looks like. The practices seem like a lot of time is being spent on fundamentals, which is good, because it was needed and bad, because it was needed.

I expect better athleticism will allow us to play less conservatively. What that will look like? Who knows?

My question is, where is the pass rush? If we rush the passer like we did last year, it is going to get ugly very quick.

Reaction Score
BTW that isn't a UCONN problem. It is a CFB problem. I almost jumped out of the stands in the 2nd half of the B1G Championship game 2 years ago when Penn State came back on Wisconsin. I was furious - our whole section was screaming "turn around! play the ball"...
Reality is a lot of coaches teach DB’s to stay in phase and play the receivers eyes. There are certain guidelines on when you can turn around as a DB. You have to be close enough to touch the ear hole of the receivers helmet. Sounds crazy but it’s true. Once you’re close you can start walling off the receiver while you turn around. That way you can still feel them. If you turn too soon you’ll naturally slow down to track the ball and the receiver will drift on you.
I get frustrated with it too. Especially when they’re close enough. But it is a lot tougher than it looks.

Reaction Score
:eek:
Don’t be sHockEd If Pindell outplayS McKenzie Milton ThursdAy Night.
Holy mother of all tea leaves! I just realized that Nostradamus...uhhh Nostical..is predicting more than All American for Pindell.

Wise men have been mocked by their inferiors throughout history.

Reaction Score
My question is, where is the pass rush? If we rush the passer like we did last year, it is going to get ugly very quick.
If the pass rush is just like what we had last year then Coach Edsall and his staff clearly have not done their jobs. Are you saying Randy Edsall doesn't know how to improve the defense????
I love your optimism, you're a heck of a husky supporter. I guess you think UConn basketball will be just as bad as last year too. No scoring, no defense?

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Travis Jones hopefully.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
slightly OT, but did anybody watch Travis jones play in high school? Did he have to get tripled teamed every play? lol

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
slightly OT, but did anybody watch Travis jones play in high school? Did he have to get tripled teamed every play? lol

A tweet was posted just a little while ago showing Jones blowing up Crozier in a one-on-one drill. I know the kid blocks a lot of sun and he's strong, but what does that say about Crozier?

I do find some solice that the center position does not often take on blocks on their own. If a nose is Man-over, the guards help. If a DT is in the gap, the center often helps a guard.

Blitzing, however...

Reaction Score
A tweet was posted just a little while ago showing Jones blowing up Crozier in a one-on-one drill. I know the kid blocks a lot of sun and he's strong, but what does that say about Crozier?

I do find some solice that the center position does not often take on blocks on their own. If a nose is Man-over, the guards help. If a DT is in the gap, the center often helps a guard.

Blitzing, however...

Isnt that the same video as the one where the OL stand there and Crozier gives minimal resistance? I know we are all desperate to see the team in action, but understanding practice drills and not focusing on pictures (particularly the one's the HC allowed access to) will help us all get there in a sane state of mind.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
What’s with Macafee? He comes highly touted by Mass. ‘Yarders. He really 4 or 5 ?

Reaction Score
What does it say about Crozier?

We have watched Crozier for years at UConn. He is, at the very least, an average AAC offensive lineman. Heck, he is on Rimington Award watch list. No one has blown him up like that.

Last edited:

Husky25

Reaction Score
Isnt that the same video as the one where the OL stand there and Crozier gives minimal resistance? I know we are all desperate to see the team in action, but understanding practice drills and not focusing on pictures (particularly the one's the HC allowed access to) will help us all get there in a sane state of mind.

This is what I was referring to. I can only hope that is minimal resistance. Doesn't look like it, though it is only one clip. Was he only supposed to put up minimal resistance or did the drill call for something closer to 100%?

What does it say about Crozier?

We have watched Crozier for years at UConn. He is, at the very least, an average AAC offensive lineman. Heck, he is on Rimington Award watch list. No one has blown him up like that.

Responding with the exact same words (except for one) in the exact same order doesn't exactly answer the original inquiry.

The preseason watch lists don't mean a tremendous amount to me. 56 players are on the Rimington watch list.

This is Crozier's 4th year. He's been hurt for the better part of two seasons and, albeit practice, he got bullrushed by a true freshman. I'm sure Gilbert Brown beat Frank Winters on occasion too. Edgar Bennett and Dorsey Levens still racked up 1,500 rushing yards between them, Favre won the MVP, and Packers still won the Super Bowl. OTOH, given the performance of UConn's O-line over the last half dozen years or so, maybe there is cause for some concern. Maybe not. I'm pretty certain that others have gotten more riled up over less.

Reaction Score
Travis Jones hopefully.
Pass rush, I guess will come off the edges via Beavers, Thomas, Forte and Marshe, at least I believe that will be the design with even the likes of Swenson getting in on the act.

When Randy was building this program the 1st time, he talked about finding kids who could run and plugging them all over the field on defense. You could see that approach again after 2 recruiting classes. Really wished Brayden Brown and the other Maryland kid hung around as they both fit the mold as well.

Reaction Score

This is what I was referring to. I can only hope that is minimal resistance. Doesn't look like it, though it is only one clip. Was he only supposed to put up minimal resistance or did the drill call for something closer to 100%?

Responding with the exact same words (except for one) in the exact same order doesn't exactly answer the original inquiry.

The preseason watch lists don't mean a tremendous amount to me. 56 players are on the Rimington watch list.

This is Crozier's 4th year. He's been hurt for the better part of two seasons and, albeit practice, he got bullrushed by a true freshman. I'm sure Gilbert Brown beat Frank Winters on occasion too. Edgar Bennett and Dorsey Levens still racked up 1,500 rushing yards between them, Favre won the MVP, and Packers still won the Super Bowl. OTOH, given the performance of UConn's O-line over the last half dozen years or so, maybe there is cause for some concern. Maybe not. I'm pretty certain that others have gotten more riled up over less.

What a bunch of nonsense. None of that is remotely related to the answer I gave your question. We know Crozier is a pretty good, at least average, lineman. Period. We have seen him in games for years.

Crozier is a pretty good college lineman. You disagree with that?

What does it say about Crozier? Not much. On the other hand what does it say about Jones? It says he completely manhandled a multi-year redshirt senior starter. . Ergo, Jones must be pretty darn good.

Go pee in somebody else's pun-ch bowl. No sale.

Husky25

Reaction Score
What a bunch of nonsense. None of that is remotely related to the answer I gave your question. We know Crozier is a pretty good, at least average, lineman. Period. We have seen him in games for years.

Crozier is a pretty good college lineman. You disagree with that?

What does it say about Crozier? Not much. On the other hand what does it say about Jones? It says he completely manhandled a multi-year redshirt senior starter. . Ergo, Jones must be pretty darn good.

Go pee in somebody else's pun-ch bowl. No sale.
You're under no obligation to make the initial response if you didn't have one. You put your own punch bowl in my line of fire.

At this point, I'd say average at best. At worst, incomplete with potential. The great part about live spectator sports is they are not robots or in a video game. There is always the opportunity to exceed expectations. It is certainly what keeps me buying tickets for the past 15 years, through less than stellar performances.

At the end of the day, it is one play during a drill in practice. A play during a drill in practice that Jim Fuller decided to highlight.

Last edited:

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
What’s with Macafee? He comes highly touted by Mass. ‘Yarders. He really 4 or 5 ?

He was never highly touted really. Everyone ahead of him had higher expectations. FWIW, his accuracy has been very poor whenever I’ve watched him

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
How did the other three quarterbacks look? Are we deep in that position?
It was Pindell and Washington as the 2. Krajewski got 1 series at the end and did not do much with it. He was with the 3rd stringers and that would be a big reason why. No McAfee nor Bisack

Reaction Score
You're under no obligation to make the initial response if you didn't have one. You put your own bowl in my line of fire.

At this point, I'd say average at best. At worst, incomplete with potential. The great part about live spectator sports is they are not robots or in a video game. There is always the opportunity to exceed expectations. It is certainly what keeps me buying tickets for the past 15 years, through less than stellar performances.

At the end of the day, it is one play during a drill in practice. A play during a drill in practice that Jim Fuller decided to highlight.

No, it is know as a flash. Hence the expression, we have seen flashes. This kid will be disruptive one day one.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Reading tea leaves but they better keep Pindell healthy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom