Was That An All-Time OOC Defensive Performance? | The Boneyard

Was That An All-Time OOC Defensive Performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I mean, they suffocated the tree. That was incredible. They made the top-ranked team look completely incapable of crossing the halfway line. I can't remember the last time they so thoroughly humiliated a team that good. Maybe one of the games at Duke when Gail was there?

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say suffocating. We knocked them on their keister with a 17-2 run during the first half, and they simply never recovered. By the time we started the 8-1 run at the end of the 2nd half, the game was already over.

Negate the margin those two runs gave us and we won only by 4. It wasn't like we were on a hot streak during that first run because it was still around an 80pt a game pace. And it's not like we limited the number of looks Stanford got in that run, they were hit 1 in 14, turnovers were even at 2 each and they had the only steal.

Did we force them to chew the shot clock so they had to rush for a shot, yeah. Did we not let them get easy looks, yeah. But I wouldn't say suffocating. When I hear suffocating I think of forced turnovers, steals, shot clock violations, blocks and last second desperate shots. I didn't see any of those during today's game. At least in the quantity that would make me use the term suffocating.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I mean, they suffocated the tree. That was incredible. They made the top-ranked team look completely incapable of crossing the halfway line. I can't remember the last time they so thoroughly humiliated a team that good.

I can :(

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There was a point in the first half where there was a shot of a Stanford player on the bench where a look of fear and, "Oh my, what the ... is this?" was on her face. She and Stanford knew they were in big trouble early on.

Reaction Score
That or simple embarrassment. It's like preparing for your PhD orals and when you show up your mind goes blank. Or you prepare your first PowerPoint presentation for the CEO and when you try to run it your laptop locks up playing the "Gangnam Style" video repeatedly. It's the look you have when a fellow named Murphy shows up unannounced.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say suffocating. We knocked them on their keister with a 17-2 run during the first half, and they simply never recovered. By the time we started the 8-1 run at the end of the 2nd half, the game was already over.

Negate the margin those two runs gave us and we won only by 4. It wasn't like we were on a hot streak during that first run because it was still around an 80pt a game pace. And it's not like we limited the number of looks Stanford got in that run, they were hit 1 in 14, turnovers were even at 2 each and they had the only steal.

Did we force them to chew the shot clock so they had to rush for a shot, yeah. Did we not let them get easy looks, yeah. But I wouldn't say suffocating. When I hear suffocating I think of forced turnovers, steals, shot clock violations, blocks and last second desperate shots. I didn't see any of those during today's game. At least in the quantity that would make me use the term suffocating.

When I think of suffocating I think of a clogged drain.
Stick to plumbing.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I mean, they suffocated the tree. That was incredible. They made the top-ranked team look completely incapable of crossing the halfway line. I can't remember the last time they so thoroughly humiliated a team that good. Maybe one of the games at Duke when Gail was there?
UConn vs Tennessee, NCAA tournament Final Four, 2002, the infamous Clipboard Smashing game. Layup lines, baby.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Another was the 2000 NC game against TN when Schuey had 10 blocks (1 going uncounted). UConn dominated TN that game in Philly.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
UConn vs Tennessee, NCAA tournament Final Four, 2002, the infamous Clipboard Smashing game. Layup lines, baby.
Got video? I was just watching some of the Taurasi bombs on youtube, but I'd love to see the clipboard get smashed.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If that wasn't a suffocating performance, I think it'll do until we figure out what one is.

Good lord. Stanford didn't break ten points until there was 2:28 left in the first half and they were down 20.

And then they scored just five points in the game's final ten minutes.

Short of hitting Stanford with pillow cases filled with rocks, I'm not sure UConn could have done much more to them.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Got video? I was just watching some of the Taurasi bombs on youtube, but I'd love to see the clipboard get smashed.
No, it's not on YouTube. I remember it clearly - Asjha Jones got loose from her defender, dashed to the corner and drained a three. Pat Summit was not happy with the defensive effort on that play.

BTW, I see this play in Morgan Tuck's future some day. Kid is eerily Asjha-like.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
It was a great win to the number 1 team in that number 1 team's own house. But I am not sure that we should crow all that much at this time.

This cardinal team beat Baylor only by 2 and without Odyssey Sims on a neutral court. The other two ranked teams they beat were by small margins, the greatest of which was a 7 point win over tennessee at TBA.

I believe that our greatest tests are yet to come with Baylor coming up to the plate in February, and of course others such as Notre Dame and Duke. And I wouldn't count Stanford out at the end of the season, either.

I don't want to be completely negative about this - Chiney definitely got some schoolin' from Stefanie, and the team clicked on every cylinder including a few of Stanfords. What we saw last night was beautiful UConn Husky Women's Basketball spiced with a Geno T. I loved it, but really hoped that they would be challenged a little more.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
It was a great win to the number 1 team in that number 1 team's own house. But I am not sure that we should crow all that much at this time.

This cardinal team beat Baylor only by 2 and without Odyssey Sims on a neutral court. The other two ranked teams they beat were by small margins, the greatest of which was a 7 point win over tennessee at TBA.

I believe that our greatest tests are yet to come with Baylor coming up to the plate in February, and of course others such as Notre Dame and Duke. And I wouldn't count Stanford out at the end of the season, either.

I don't want to be completely negative about this - Chiney definitely got some schoolin' from Stefanie, and the team clicked on every cylinder including a few of Stanfords. What we saw last night was beautiful UConn Husky Women's Basketball spiced with a Geno T. I loved it, but really hoped that they would be challenged a little more.

I almost always agree with your posts, but this time I don't.

After a win like that, it's the perfect time to crow. It was not just beating #1 in their house. It was tearing them a new one.

Sure there will be challenges going forward as you mentioned. This win doesn't change that.

But today? It's crowing time!!!

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
UConn held the #12 scoring team (78.5 ppg) in the country to 35 points! That is suffocating defense. I would like to ask 6-22 C O if she felt suffocated 'cause Dolson was all over her.

Beating Oakland by 70 is no reason to crow. Beating the #1 ranked team by 26 especially if you accept that a rivalry truely exists, is reason to crow all te way into the new year.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I almost always agree with your posts, but this time I don't.

You don't agree with me? :rolleyes: I feel betrayed :p

After a win like that, it's the perfect time to crow. It was not just beating #1 in their house. It was tearing them a new one. Sure there will be challenges going forward as you mentioned. This win doesn't change that.

But today? It's crowing time!!!

Ok.
Foghorn.JPG

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Geno pretty much played only 7 players yesterday - Bria, Kelly, Kaleena, Stef, Breanna, Caroline and Brianna. Three of them were underclassmen, two sophomores and a freshman who all appear to be on an upward trajectory in their development. And don't forget Morgan and MoJeff are still coming back from injuries and that they, too, have big upsides. The fact that Geno was able to play with such a short bench yesterday and that three of his key players are inexperienced, I see an awful lot to smile about.

Reaction Score
I would like everyone to savor it quietly because as has been mentioned, without a couple of runs more attributable to our defense than anything else, the game was somewhat close. Our offense wasn't having a particularly sparkling day and that has at least something to do with the fact that Stanford did a pretty nice job defensively themselves. Overall, we definitely should be happy because of how disciplined the team played and just go on from here, hopefully to wipe Notre Dame and Skylar off the court. If we get some good officiating, meaning no favoritism for Duggins, we shouldn't have any problem with crushing them. That's the team I want to hammer and then hammer some more. I'll never concede that either last year or before, they were the better team when they eliminated us from the tournament.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I would like everyone to savor it quietly because as has been mentioned, without a couple of runs more attributable to our defense than anything else, the game was somewhat close.

That is so ridiculous it hurts.

Basketball has always been a game of runs. Due to defense or offense, it doesn't matter.

The game was never close after 5-5.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
That or simple embarrassment. It's like preparing for your PhD orals and when you show up your mind goes blank.

Been there, done that, got the hat!

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
That is so ridiculous it hurts.

Basketball has always been a game of runs. Due to defense or offense, it doesn't matter.

The game was never close after 5-5.

DD you beat me to it. Buzzyboy's comment is like saying that the only reason the game wasn't close was because Stanford didn't score more.

Reaction Score
uh, RadyLady ....

----------------------------

. . . . . . . . . . . OK????
KeithTheWanker.jpg

Didn't Foghorn Langhorne
play for Maryland???????

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Nan, DD - clearly I should be crowing....and Wonk, thanks - internet issues as usual..... :p

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The defense is worth crowing about (even more so than against MD and Penn State), but not the offense (not at all). Again, it was an issue of makeable shots not being made. At least there weren't a lot of missed layups.

I would ask those who argue against crowing: If the score had been 71-35 or 81-35 because the offense performed better, would you say it was time to crow? The defensive effort would have been the same (which is what this thread was initially about); it would just have been the offense that was different.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
The defense is worth crowing about (even more so than against MD and Penn State), but not the offense (not at all). Again, it was an issue of makeable shots not being made. At least there weren't a lot of missed layups.

I would ask those who argue against crowing: If the score had been 71-35 or 81-35 because the offense performed better, would you say it was time to crow? The defensive effort would have been the same (which is what this thread was initially about); it would just have been the offense that was different.

You misunderstand - my intent (slightly misguided because yes, the thread is about the stellar defense) was to take a look at Stanford's other wins for some perspective. The defense was fabulous, no question, but that #1 ranking I questioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom