Warning...This thread is going to be wildly unpopular... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Warning...This thread is going to be wildly unpopular...

Status
Not open for further replies.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
I am so glad I haven't had some fans over after hiring Wolfgang Puck to prepare dinner.
He would probably be chastised too.
We are in January folks. The team is not firing on all cylinders…...yet. However, the goal is always March, and up to that point, it is a work in progress and some years more
than others.
I am betting the farm that this team come tournament time will be running on eight cylinders and not on four.
I also asked Wolfgang to find another gig.

Reaction Score
My 2 cents, UCONN has peaked early for the last 2 years and fell apart in the F4. This team has shown improvement from different players in each game. I believe they have what it takes to win it all and will reach their peak when it counts most.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I sorta blame Geno for announcing years ago that he was always pursuing a perfect game, using John Wooden’s quote “If you reach for perfection you can achieve greatness”. For him to desire perfection is fine but the problem we have now is that fans expect perfection in everything.

UConn could be up 30 in a game and the perfectionists are still complaining about a turnover, the arc on Meg’s shot, and my personal favorite, the fact Phee falls away on her shot. I don’t care if the Huskies bounce the ball off their heads or fall down when they shoot as long as they keep running up 20, 30 point leads. Elsewhere in the basketball universe, that’s considered a monumental lead but in UConn Country, it’s a squeaker.

I admire the restraint of our friends that root for other teams. They must think we’re nuts fretting over 20+ road wins when the leading scorer has a bad shooting night. I hear you collectively rolling your eyes at the hysteria but I appreciate your discretion

Reaction Score
The struggle is the journey through any season. There is still time for UCONN to make that beautiful basketball. Any ballet troupe will tell you their performances at the end of their season are better than the performances at the beginning of their season. Hang tough BYers.

Reaction Score
My 2 cents, UCONN has peaked early for the last 2 years and fell apart in the F4. This team has shown improvement from different players in each game. I believe they have what it takes to win it all and will reach their peak when it counts most.

Why do u think this team can “win it all”. This group has showed us they cannot win it all. This group has shown us they are nice, polite girls, that work hard and win a lot of games. They have not proved they can win it all. No player has been willing to step up and truly lead. Two years ago Chong had to be the one to try to make the big play with the game on the line! Last year when the game was on the line who put the team on there back? Essentially This year we are minus Stevens, Kia and Gabby and plus a freshman CW. One would think we are at a bigger disadvantage from a year or two ago....
Sure we can win it all but it’s going to take a player( Ahem LOU) to be our Danny Manning or Melo and do everything in every big game.

Reaction Score
I really do not know what to think. I have been spoiled by so much winning from the UConn women's program over the years. Even though they they came very close and did not win the National Championship in the last two years, they still provided outstanding sports entertainment and had winning seasons.

On the other hand, they do not look like or perform with the precision that previous UConn women's teams have achieved. However, they find a way to win. But, they are now winning against AAC teams. That speaks for itself. But......they did beat Notre Dame and several other ranked teams. Baylor's defeat illustrated that poor performance in making the ball go through the hoop, lack of very big people in the front court, and the precision that they use to have became a factor.

What we observe is scrappy teams like Temple who get up for a contest with UConn, challenge the team. It also seems that extended Road trips are draining.

But as someone mentioned above, who would not want a 30 plus winning season? Even if you get knocked off in the tournament in the Elite 8. From my perspective, I like good basketball played by UConn. I enjoy them as sports entertainment. I even enjoy the Men's team with Hurley as coach because of the animation and passion on which they try to compete. There is absolutely no life or death issues at hand in this whatsoever. As my grandchildren say to me: chill out and enjoy the ride.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
1547992831177.png

Reaction Score
Which is it?

IF Lou puts us on her back with her repaired ankle I think the big three can win it all. She is so capable of scoring, rebounding, everything now. CW needs to be the early season CW and we need some edge.
We are still a very good team. It will be an interesting ride.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
IF Lou puts us on her back with her repaired ankle I think the big three can win it all. She is so capable of scoring, rebounding, everything now. CW needs to be the early season CW and we need some edge.
We are still a very good team. It will be an interesting ride.
It is always an interesting ride. Someone or a group has always had to carry UCONN to a championship. Napheesa and KLS are as capable a pair as UCONN has ever had. Enjoy the ride.

Reaction Score
Why do u think this team can “win it all”. This group has showed us they cannot win it all. This group has shown us they are nice, polite girls, that work hard and win a lot of games. They have not proved they can win it all. No player has been willing to step up and truly lead. Two years ago Chong had to be the one to try to make the big play with the game on the line! Last year when the game was on the line who put the team on there back? Essentially This year we are minus Stevens, Kia and Gabby and plus a freshman CW. One would think we are at a bigger disadvantage from a year or two ago....
Sure we can win it all but it’s going to take a player( Ahem LOU) to be our Danny Manning or Melo and do everything in every big game.
Remember Stewie didn’t become Stewie until the NCAA’s. CW has shown the potential more than any other player since Stewie to be the next UCONN Superstar. When she puts it all together and realizes she is the best player on the team my gut says she becomes that go to player.

Reaction Score
I think its pretty obvious that the team is not playing well, regardless of winning the games. Two players (KLS and CW) are in shooting slumps, MW is inconsistent.
The dumb turnovers are exasperating. Even Meghan Culmo stated this is not a good passing team.
Its like a good sandwich on stale bread.

Reaction Score
Fell apart...…. really? Someone saw my UCONN shirt the other day and asked "What's going on with the UCONN women?" I asked him, "Do you mean the fact they won four N.C.s in a row then lost one game in each of the last two seasons in the Final Four in overtime on a last second shot.... or the fact they have lost one game this season?" After a blank stare came over his face he said "Good point." UCONN is held to a higher standard, I understand that, but really?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Your point is fantastic. My dad was just saying that the stars of this team, especially Lou and Pheese are just way too nice, and maybe with the exception of Danger the team is just not that intense. Geno said it somewhere(maybe on the first Geno Show) that the team is zero personality?! No egde- Well said and dead on..
When we play teams that have "edgy" players, nearly everyone on the board complains vociferously that our kids are being beat up. But now I am hearing you and a few others say we should be more "edgy". We are too nice? We cannot have it both ways; we can play rough but they can't? If you are not careful, you will become a Notre Dame fan. This is what we hear from them after every game. Notre Dame plays 'edgy", and everyone else cheats and fouls. I want good kids who play well and are competitive. The kind UConn has now, and has always recruited. Please do not wish for nasty brats, you might get what you ask for. Head bang

Reaction Score
Remember Stewie didn’t become Stewie until the NCAA’s. CW has shown the potential more than any other player since Stewie to be the next UCONN Superstar. When she puts it all together and realizes she is the best player on the team my gut says she becomes that go to player.

I agree, I think CW is going to be a superstar at Uconn. I also agree she can turn it on come tournament time. Remember im just telling you how I feel today Mid/Late Jan. Of course the team should/will improve come March/April. I definitely think we can win it all as I mentioned in previous post....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes, this team is not as good as last year, or even the year before, and it’s certainly not as good as any of Stewie’s teams.....Duh!

What this team does have is a remarkable core of talented individuals who are learning to play together as a team. Geno advised everyone early on this season that it wasn’t necessarily going to be pretty while the Huskies were figuring things out. Many of us seem to be ignoring that suggestion.

UConn has 2 months to figure things out. If they do, all of these hand wringing discussions will fade like last year’s hot new social media trend.

Reaction Score
When we play teams that have "edgy" players, nearly everyone on the board complains vociferously that our kids are being beat up. But now I am hearing you and a few others say we should be more "edgy". We are too nice? We cannot have it both ways; we can play rough but they can't? If you are not careful, you will become a Notre Dame fan. This is what we hear from them after every game. Notre Dame plays 'edgy", and everyone else cheats and fouls. I want good kids who play well and are competitive. The kind UConn has now, and has always recruited. Please do not wish for nasty brats, you might get what you ask for. Head bang

Not true, Do you remember Diana Taurasi? I do since I was a student at Uconn when she was there. I can list you many players that were intense yet NOT dirty. I don't mind when other teams play us tough and try to be physical with us, its called game planning!! I like nice players that smile and have dimples too, but i beg you to re watch DT and players with her mentality(even if they were just role players). I know Danger has that toughness. Maybe we need her to be the leader....

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"I feel like theres something missing with this team. "

For years I complained about borin blowouts and he lack of competition especially in conference. The overwhelming response was along the line of "just watch and enjoy the near perfection of the team." Now that's gone too.
Yes they win, but as the OP said - there's something missing.

Reaction Score
Sorry. But this is nuts. I was talking with a co worker yesterday who doesnt follow WBB, but does follow College MBB. I mentioned the Temple WIN, and some of the comments from this thread... his reaction was along the lines of "do they need a blow out win every game?"

I agree they are playing rough right now. But i believe this shall pass. They will work things out and will be up for the "big games". As others said, three are LOTS of teams that would love to be winning as much as we are....and to have our "problems".

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not true, Do you remember Diana Taurasi? I do since I was a student at Uconn when she was there. I can list you many players that were intense yet NOT dirty. I don't mind when other teams play us tough and try to be physical with us, its called game planning!! I like nice players that smile and have dimples too, but i beg you to re watch DT and players with her mentality(even if they were just role players). I know Danger has that toughness. Maybe we need her to be the leader....

We are on the same page here. This team has been lacking something mentally -- let's call it edge -- for the last few years.

I could excuse the MSU loss because it was that group's first experience having to lead under the bright spotlight. They wilted, but then again so did Diana in 2001.

Last year they should have come out on a vengeance tour taking no prisoners, like in 2002. We never saw it. The debacle against Notre Dame, in hindsight, was predictable. Their team showed toughness and moxie. We played tight and robotically. Again. Nobody was willing to step up and take charge, go off script and will the team to a win.

And now this year is looking similar. Yes, we've only lost one game, but we've looked pretty bad in several others. And that edge is still lacking, save for Dangerfield taking umbrage at a Tulane player the other day.

Reaction Score
Just as most boneyarders, I watch every Uconn game and am a huge fan of this team and program for decades. If anyone follows my posts they would know that even though I love this program I still can be critical of the team, or the future of the program. After watching the early season schedule(with some great wins) and now getting into the conference portion of the schedule I feel like theres something missing with this team. Im thinking to myself other than the obvious that has been discussed and discussed is there anything else going on? Watching today It hit me what is kinda been killing us, and thats not having an experienced 2 guard. We all love CW and early on she was playing on such a high level but she has hit a freshman wall as of late its its really killing us. When UCONN is firing on all cylinders the guards turned the ball over and lead to easy fast break points. With out Kia and Gabby this year we just cannot defend and create these turnovers. Today when CW was out of the lineup in foul trouble we had one ball handler on the floor!!! I mean Pheese and walker are ok at handling the ball and Lou is not much better and you can really see the offense just doesn't look like it has in past years.

We won today by like 20 something but it was so ho hum, we just are more talented than Temple but we really didn't play that great! We didn't play like last past years Uconn. My other concern... Yes this is going to be very unpopular is Geno. Im not debating the greatness of Geno, im worried for Geno!! I heard his comments with Lobo and Frede at the end of the last game and he was just shaking his head talking about the modern Uconn athlete, that there going to do what they want and nothing phases them etc. If he mentioned it once then it would come off as a joke but he actually kept talking about it and how when he subbed all five out, there was no lesson learned cause the players knew that they would be back in at some point soon!!! He looked like he had it with this team!! Fast forward to today. Did you see Geno on the bench with his hands on his head and head on his lap?? Geno never looked like or acted like this in years past. All I can infer from this is Geno is not going to get a heart attack over this team. When you add in the transfers, decommitments of the past few year, and the recruiting class of one(with many misses) its only going to get worse around here before it could get better.. Is Geno going to be able to take that? Im not so sure..

I hope I wrong! The games just seems lacking that finely tuned uconn we have all come to love and expect....

Totally true. It's not just the lack of an experienced second guard, it is the complete lack of a tall presence in the post. This is the first time, I believe, in years that UConn doesn't have strong support in the post. ONO simply is nowhere near commanding any sort of attention by the defense down low. KLS is misfiring because everyone can double-team her because they don't have other big guns they have to be worried about.

And it is going to get much worse next year. There's a question about actually fielding a competent starting five. It's going to be like 2005 (?) when we lost eight games. Or worse.

I hope that recruiting will pick up again next year, but there are no guarantees. There's a question with each year that passes whether, or how long, Coach Geno will remain. And if the pain increases, will he feel that he's done his bit and wants to hit the links?

The years from the start of Tina Charles' arrival on campus through perhaps this year with KLS and Napheesa leaving could be seen as a Golden Age of UConn women's basketball. Yes, we had great years before this. But we didn't have so many great years and great players all together for such an extended period.

I am crossing my fingers for next year's recruiting. And the next year. And the next. But it will take at least three really strong years to bring Connecticut back from what we will experience on the court next season.

Reaction Score
I sorta blame Geno for announcing years ago that he was always pursuing a perfect game, using John Wooden’s quote “If you reach for perfection you can achieve greatness”. For him to desire perfection is fine but the problem we have now is that fans expect perfection in everything.

UConn could be up 30 in a game and the perfectionists are still complaining about a turnover, the arc on Meg’s shot, and my personal favorite, the fact Phee falls away on her shot. I don’t care if the Huskies bounce the ball off their heads or fall down when they shoot as long as they keep running up 20, 30 point leads. Elsewhere in the basketball universe, that’s considered a monumental lead but in UConn Country, it’s a squeaker.

I admire the restraint of our friends that root for other teams. They must think we’re nuts fretting over 20+ road wins when the leading scorer has a bad shooting night. I hear you collectively rolling your eyes at the hysteria but I appreciate your discretion

I've never been concerned whether UConn won by two points or fifty points, whether they had five All Americans or none as long as they played great team basketball.....................I'm not jumping off any bridges but facts are facts......................this team is simply not playing great team basketball at the moment....................

Reaction Score
Totally true. It's not just the lack of an experienced second guard, it is the complete lack of a tall presence in the post. This is the first time, I believe, in years that UConn doesn't have strong support in the post. ONO simply is nowhere near commanding any sort of attention by the defense down low. KLS is misfiring because everyone can double-team her because they don't have other big guns they have to be worried about.

And it is going to get much worse next year. There's a question about actually fielding a competent starting five. It's going to be like 2005 (?) when we lost eight games. Or worse.

I hope that recruiting will pick up again next year, but there are no guarantees. There's a question with each year that passes whether, or how long, Coach Geno will remain. And if the pain increases, will he feel that he's done his bit and wants to hit the links?

The years from the start of Tina Charles' arrival on campus through perhaps this year with KLS and Napheesa leaving could be seen as a Golden Age of UConn women's basketball. Yes, we had great years before this. But we didn't have so many great years and great players all together for such an extended period.

I am crossing my fingers for next year's recruiting. And the next year. And the next. But it will take at least three really strong years to bring Connecticut back from what we will experience on the court next season.
Dead on logic, Nice post.

Reaction Score
I've never been concerned whether UConn won by two points or fifty points, whether they had five All Americans or none as long as they played great team basketball......I'm not jumping off any bridges but facts are facts.......this team is simply not playing great team basketball at the moment.....

Your post is dead on too. I fear some posters cannot see the forest from the tress(or something like that haha)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom