Warde on Record: 10,000 More Seats (Hartford Business Journal) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Warde on Record: 10,000 More Seats (Hartford Business Journal)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Actually I believe Army is coming into the Bowl this year.....

alright. I give. :)

Here's my point.

Recruiter X walks into Recruit Y's living room. Asks: Do you want to play in the biggest home FBS football stadium in all of New England and New York?

that question (and answer - assuming we've built the stadium out to it's originally designed capacity - is valid,true, accurate because even though Yale has the largest football stadium in the same region (and has since 1910 or something).......they are not an FBS football program.

Reaction Score
Shouldn't they be focusing on building a stadium on campus? Let high schools use The Rent.

Short answer is that UCONN was very, very close to breaking ground on an on-campus football facility with essentially the same specs as Rentschler field about 15 years ago, but local politics worked it's way into state politics and got it all stopped. The stadium was built on the grounds it stands now, as a last resort that took a lot of work to push through the state legislature as a result of the local community rebelling around Storrs.

The time for an on-campus football stadium has long passed, we have what we have, and we are really a very unique athletic department in the country in so very many ways - and our football stadium location being just one.

Reaction Score
Shouldn't they be focusing on building a stadium on campus? Let high schools use The Rent.

We're too far down the road for that to happen anytime in the next 40 years (when this stadium becomes completely outdated).

As Carl mentioned - UConn is a bit of an anomaly in that we play many games in major sports off-campus. It's now part of the school tradition. Just accept it. It's a good trade-off for the massive support the State govtnment gives the university.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The trade-off is simple: UCONN athletics agree to play their sports in off-campus venues so that it is easier for alumni and fans to get in and out of games. In return, the state writes billion dollar checks. Without UCONN, there is no need to renovate the XL Center whatsoever and, therefore, no incentive for dining/entertainment businesses to open in the capital city.

Reaction Score
Critical year for us. Even to think about an upgrade we need 28K - that's about a 5K increase from last year. My sense from talking to people is that we may see a bump from last year but not much. Many of the same folks signing up, but no new blood despite my encouragement. In order to move to another conference we need to catch fire and I am hesitant no matter what the record and enthusiasm of Diaco. As usual I hope that I am wrong, but the CT fan base has just not embraced College Football.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Critical year for us. Even to think about an upgrade we need 28K - that's about a 5K increase from last year. My sense from talking to people is that we may see a bump from last year but not much. Many of the same folks signing up, but no new blood despite my encouragement. In order to move to another conference we need to catch fire and I am hesitant no matter what the record and enthusiasm of Diaco. As usual I hope that I am wrong, but the CT fan base has just not embraced College Football.
Reasonable sounding energy vampire is still an energy vampire. ;)

Reaction Score

I disagree. a whole bunch. Any evaluation the UCONN FB as a future business partner will come to the conclusion that the opportunity is little changed from Consultant's Report that referred to UCONN as an "SEC environment waiting to happen." More importantly, it will show that UCONN's FB fan base is incredibly resilient, especially when the bait-and-switch nature of the Program's conference affiliation is considered.

When UCONN was considering the 1A business, it was exciting to think about yearly visits from a group that included VT, Miami, BC, Cuse, Pitt, Rutgers, WVU plus the occasional, attractive OOC opponent. Before snap-one, three of the most attractive opponents had been replaced with schools with which we had no true identity. A few years later, another school bolted, followed closely by three more. I realize that's old news, but very few have mentioned the upheaval in terms of the psychological impact on the overall fan base.

On top the CR issues came the PP years. Again, any outside evaluator would see the PP years as proof positive that UCONN, like every other college FB Program, is one unfortunate coaching hire from the doldrums. Check Texas, post-Royal; USC, Post-McKay and Robinson; Oklahoma, post-Wilkinson; Notre Dame, post-Ara P and Holtz; Florida, post-Spurrier; and Alabama, post-Bryant. There are more, but the message is clear. Every FB program, even the spiffy types mentioned above, is susceptible to a poor coaching hire.

The UCONN fan base has, for the most part, shown loyalty. Through all the crap it has been put through, the base continues to purchase 23,000 plus season tickets. And, when provided with something worth watching, the fan base pulls off a Michigan, or reduces a Palko to jelly, or generates compliments from an RGIII. Any evaluation that goes back and views video from games as far back as BC and Indiana through the RE years and even a few games from the PP doldrums will see proof of a fan base that both shows up and drives opponents to distraction. The variables? Competitive UCONN vs. a recognizable opponent.

That's not to say that UCONN shouldn't be doing everything possible to fill the RENT. Anything else would be bad business/incredibly stupid. But any evaluator that doesn't understand that the right environment will make every RENT game a Michigan-like event is not looking.

C

Chief00

I think Warde has done a good job hiring coaches - hand forced or otherwise. However I question some of his business judgments including the lower level suite idea at XL. The high end is just not there in the Hartford market - not enough of it. There are not enough big companies willing to buy up large blocks of suite seats. The Whaler hey day of Aetna spending tons of money on boxes and seats is no longer the culture. Other Hartford companies have been absorbed by mergers by larger companies headquartered somewhere else. The cost of retro fitting an obsolete building is also questionable and how many years is the payback? Keep in mind the Governor has said the current band-aide renovation is just a stop gap step with a new building in mind if the NHL comes calling.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Small time thinking and the Connecticut Yankee is why UCONN is at 40,000 seats. The stadium should have been 50,000 to begin with and from talking to a high ranking politician back in 2000 stated that the stadium should be 60,000, but in discussions a number felt UCONN should go more moderate with the building of the stadium. They did the same thing with Gampbel pavilion when it was built at 8,200 and now is over 10,000.

Small time thinking has lead to this and why others think of UCONN football as small time. You have to change the perspective around the country with fans and recruits. You don't go half way and if UCONN did that with basketball we'd still be in the American East or maybe the A-10 if we were lucky.

Reaction Score
I disagree. a whole bunch. Any evaluation the UCONN FB as a future business partner will come to the conclusion that the opportunity is little changed from Consultant's Report that referred to UCONN as an "SEC environment waiting to happen." More importantly, it will show that UCONN's FB fan base is incredibly resilient, especially when the bait-and-switch nature of the Program's conference affiliation is considered.

When UCONN was considering the 1A business, it was exciting to think about yearly visits from a group that included VT, Miami, BC, Cuse, Pitt, Rutgers, WVU plus the occasional, attractive OOC opponent. Before snap-one, three of the most attractive opponents had been replaced with schools with which we had no true identity. A few years later, another school bolted, followed closely by three more. I realize that's old news, but very few have mentioned the upheaval in terms of the psychological impact on the overall fan base.

On top the CR issues came the PP years. Again, any outside evaluator would see the PP years as proof positive that UCONN, like every other college FB Program, is one unfortunate coaching hire from the doldrums. Check Texas, post-Royal; USC, Post-McKay and Robinson; Oklahoma, post-Wilkinson; Notre Dame, post-Ara P and Holtz; Florida, post-Spurrier; and Alabama, post-Bryant. There are more, but the message is clear. Every FB program, even the spiffy types mentioned above, is susceptible to a poor coaching hire.

The UCONN fan base has, for the most part, shown loyalty. Through all the crap it has been put through, the base continues to purchase 23,000 plus season tickets. And, when provided with something worth watching, the fan base pulls off a Michigan, or reduces a Palko to jelly, or generates compliments from an RGIII. Any evaluation that goes back and views video from games as far back as BC and Indiana through the RE years and even a few games from the PP doldrums will see proof of a fan base that both shows up and drives opponents to distraction. The variables? Competitive UCONN vs. a recognizable opponent.

That's not to say that UCONN shouldn't be doing everything possible to fill the RENT. Anything else would be bad business/incredibly stupid. But any evaluator that doesn't understand that the right environment will make every RENT game a Michigan-like event is not looking.
Hopefully with our fans not theirs.

Reaction Score
My task is to entice one couple a year to become season ticket holders. This season, mission accomplished & my season ticket count increased from 10 to 12. How'd I do it? Invitation to a game or two when my daughter couldn't use her tickets due to work commitments. Get them to a game & they're hooked. The way to generate new fans is to cultivate them. But I'm preaching to the choir.

Reaction Score
I would handle it like this - once we know the exact pricetag - go rally the donors like they did for the BB center and try and raise at least half the money privately - then force the state's hand. We have the new Foundation guy so lets use him to make rain.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see The Rent expanded. I think the best course of action would be to start dropping hints to donors now so by the end of the season (if UConn is doing well on the field), Warde can make a couple quick calls and get the ball rolling. I like what Warde is saying, but I would honestly like him to say something to the effect of, "Depending on fundraising and such, We'd like to have the Rent expanded within the next 5-7 years." Basically saying that we are not only interested in the future of UConn football, but we are willing to make the investment into it now to make sure it continues to grow.

Reaction Score
I'm lost.. I thought the Rent currently seats 40k... ???? are we looking to add 10k more seats in 10 years? If that's the case, that's too long a wait...

Reaction Score
I'm lost.. I thought the Rent currently seats 40k... ???? are we looking to add 10k more seats in 10 years? If that's the case, that's too long a wait...

I think WM's "10 years" comment qualifies as either non-sequitur or throw-away line.

Reaction Score
I'm with Pudge and Carl on this one. The time to expand was around 2007. Consistent sellouts or near sellouts after two dreadful seasons (2005 & 2006). Pudge sounds much smarter on the bonding and financial aspect than I am, but what he's saying makes sense.

However, if we are going to stick to the "ticket demand has to be the catalyst" mantra we are doomed and will never see the Rent expanded in our lifetimes. We are not selling out the Rent in the AAC. We're just not.

Hence the need to expand first so as to be more attractive to a P5 Conference and Blue Chip recruits. The winning will come with a better caliber of recruit in every position and the sellouts will come from a competitive team playing in a P5 Conference. Expansion most definitely should have occurred in 2007, but that ship sailed. So now is the time.

Reaction Score
Agree with most - the time to proactively expand the Rent has come and gone.

Not true. Time to expand proactively is right now. This comes before an invitation to a P5 conference - or at least the commitment to expand immediately comes before an invite.

C

Chief00

Warde and Susan constantly say conference realignment is beyond their control - if they can't even positively influence outcomes we have the wrong folks in those jobs.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Warde and Susan constantly say conference realignment is beyond their control - if they can't even positively influence outcomes we have the wrong folks in those jobs.
Just a bizarre comment. They do not possess a gun they can use to force an invite from another league. However, everything they have done has positively influenced our profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom