Warde/Kevin | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Warde/Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ward more then likely will fire the football coach, thats 1-2 million he has to come up with plus the money for for a new contract. If Ollie gets a contract now and wins 10 games this year and wins 8 nex yeart and his 3'rd year looks as promising as the football side you would all want to put Ward at the stakes and crucify him.

I want Ollie to succeed because he's one of ours and more importantly he's just an amazing person, but i'm just a fan Ward is running a business his decisions affects the school and his job security. I tell you what though Ward looked as happy as I did on friday I'm sure he wants Ollie to succeed, and I dont think Ollie has any animosity towards Ward like some of you want to put, Ollie seems bigger then that. IMO

Reaction Score
Ward more then likely will fire the football coach, thats 1-2 million he has to come up with plus the money for for a new contract. If Ollie gets a contract now and wins 10 games this year and wins 8 nex yeart and his 3'rd year looks as promising as the football side you would all want to put Ward at the stakes and crucify him.

I want Ollie to succeed because he's one of ours and more importantly he's just an amazing person, but i'm just a fan Ward is running a business his decisions affects the school and his job security. I tell you what though Ward looked as happy as I did on friday I'm sure he wants Ollie to succeed, and I dont think Ollie has any animosity towards Ward like some of you want to put, Ollie seems bigger then that. IMO

The downside is that if he waits to the end of the season and ollie does great, than he could command well over a million per year. That will also cost the University a lot of money. Could probably lock him up at say 4 years 3-4 mill total right now. that number could go up to 5-6 by the end of the year for the 4 years. Not saying you have to lock him up today, but the earlier the cheaper.

Reaction Score
I see him getting the contract. Is there anyone harder working or more dedicated? No. Better program connection, not really. Classier individual. No. Programs like their own blood if they can make it happen, but sometimes it doesn't work out, anyone remember North Carolina and Georgetown? The big question is how many years and how much? I see 3 years and whatever they pay will be a big discount over JC, but the recruits relate well to KO and truthfully most coaches are a bad season or 2 from getting canned these days so his pitch is that they are part of the new and exiting UCONN, new practice etc. Maybe Feb for the contract extension?

Reaction Score
Look, KO is headed in the right direction but there's no reason to go nuts over this win. WM probably needs to see some successful recruiting and 2-3 months of good progress before committing a 3 year deal. Is that unreasonable? Don't think so because if things don't go well, more than one person will be criticizing WM for jumping the gun. 6 months ago I don't remember most people asking that KO get a long term deal if he was to be coach, but just a shot.

It is unreasonable to expect some successful recruiting from a guy out the door in 3 1/2 months.

Reaction Score
This is all so stupid, anyone who knows basketball can tell that Ollie is the guy. The longer Warde waits the more it will cost, I expect a contract soon.

Reaction Score
It's clear we have an elite athletic department now. If the top five conferences go to 16, and I think they will (Pac-12 considering Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State last year is an indicator), we're going to one of them soon. Let's hop on the KO bandwagon. The man can win using Joel Osteen books. Who'd have imagined that? And the way it looks, Warde might have to end up signing him to an extension. I think the players will give it all they can to back up KO. They have a goal in mind, that is to make KO the permanent head coach. KO has exactly the character we need to move forward.

S

storrsbred1

Yep and mine was I don't see how any one can draw that conclusion given a 3 second camera flash of the two of them sitting there chatting. To say "the body language was not good" is as useful an observation of a 3 second flash as stating it looked like Warde was trying to give Ollie a hand job.

There are plenty of reasons for UCONN fans to be disappointed in Warde (ie. not giving Ollie more than a 1 year contract), but to make some kind of assumption from 3 seconds on camera is just looking for something to pick about.

I am basing my opinion on over 50 years of observing people in sales situations. It is my observation that when someone is talking/laughing/smiling in a conversation, the other person is doing the same. To have the recipient sit there like a bump on the log and look like they want to be anywhere else (body language) usually indicates no interest and/or hostility in what is being said, IMO.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I am basing my opinion on over 50 years of observing people in sales situations. It is my observation that when someone is talking/laughing/smiling in a conversation, the other person is doing the same. To have the recipient sit there like a bump on the log and look like they want to be anywhere else (body language) usually indicates no interest and/or hostility in what is being said, IMO.
Yep and IMO it's a ridiculous conclusion to draw from a 3 second snippet. And a totally stupid and ridiculous thread.

Reaction Score
This thread is ****ing stupid.

I can't wait till this thing is resolved one way or another, just so I don't have to read everyone's uninformed opinion on the subject.

The title is "Warde/Kevin" - you could just skip it so you wouldn't have to read everyone's uninformed opinion. By the way, how exactly would you like a message board to operate - "only have people post who are informed" and "no opinions allowed"?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

It appears you are not a regular reader of the Football board or any of the beat writers covering the football team. The rumor is that Coach Pasqualoni will be given one more year (to the displeasure of many a UConn Football fan). However the contract of the offensive co-ordinator may not be renewed (Hopefully not).

I believe Ward Manuel's treatment of Kevin Ollie's contract situation has more to do with the Jim Calhoun's attempted power play than it does Kevin Ollie's coaching ability, which is a shame really. My gut feeling is that Ollie will ultimately be extended in late January/Early February.

Reactions: caw

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It appears you are not a regular reader of the Football board or any of the beat writers covering the football team. The rumor is that Coach Pasqualoni will be given one more year (to the displeasure of many a UConn Football fan). However the contract of the offensive co-ordinator may not be renewed (Hopefully not).

I believe Ward Manuel's treatment of Kevin Ollie's contract situation has more to do with the Jim Calhoun's attempted power play than it does Kevin Ollie's coaching ability, which is a shame really. My gut feeling is that Ollie will ultimately be extended in late January/Early February.
President Herbst loves JC. President Herbst is AD Manuel's boss. If Manuel has half a brain he loves JC as well or, if he doesn't, he doesn't disclose this to any one. A lot of us can appear one way and behind the public mask, have totally different thoughts, but WM is playing the public role very well by making sure he is observed with JC and KO as often as possible and appearing to be friendly with both of them.

Reaction Score
The title is "Warde/Kevin" - you could just skip it so you wouldn't have to read everyone's uninformed opinion. By the way, how exactly would you like a message board to operate - "only have people post who are informed" and "no opinions allowed"?

It would be a good start. Maybe some sort of wonderlic as a requirement for posting.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I didn't see any of this. But I really hope it isn't so. We hear what a great guy Ollie is. A great guy doesn't show up his new boss the way people here are alleging. If Ollie has a problem with deal he signed, he shouldn't have signed it. He had a choice.

Reaction Score
...and now this thread gets even more absurd. all we need is for freescooter to re-emerge from the abyss he's been hiding in ever since the Mich St game and cosign Waquiot's usual off base post and the cipher will be complete.

Reaction Score
I didn't see any of this. But I really hope it isn't so. We hear what a great guy Ollie is. A great guy doesn't show up his new boss the way people here are alleging. If Ollie has a problem with deal he signed, he shouldn't have signed it. He had a choice.

So this started as someone saying they saw a 2 second clip of the two of them at a game where one was smiling and the other was not and now we have Ollie "showing up his new boss." This really is crazytown.

Husky25

Reaction Score

I was at the Football game and didn't see any of the Men's game (DVR'ed the wrong channel and I haven't had a chance to see the replay on WatchESPN) and Women's basketball is not typically appointment TV for me. From the sounds of it, the 3 second snipett was camera pan of the crowd, unknown to Manuel or Ollie. I'm sure Ollie did not show up his boss or that it wasn't taken that way by Manuel with its appropriate context.

President Herbst loves JC. President Herbst is AD Manuel's boss. If Manuel has half a brain he loves JC as well or, if he doesn't, he doesn't disclose this to any one. A lot of us can appear one way and behind the public mask, have totally different thoughts, but WM is playing the public role very well by making sure he is observed with JC and KO as often as possible and appearing to be friendly with both of them.

I am on record as saying that Manuel handled the KO hiring as well as anyone could have expected. To follow is something I wrote elsewhere, "...Ward Manuel was basically backed into a no-win situation, being Dean Smithed into taking on a hastily hand-picked successor by a basketball legend. There was slim to zero chance he could have organized and overseen a national coaching search 3 weeks before Midnight Madness of a lame duck season. He may have been bullied into Ollie at the time, but I think he showed some stones in only giving him a one season contract. He made the best of a difficult situation and no one could have done better."

Having said that, I still believe Ollie gets extended not long into the New Year.

Reaction Score
Just a question, what exactly has Warde done to earn our trust? He's the one deciding if KO is right for the job, but how do we know if WM is the right guy for determining that in the first place? Warde certainly doesn't have my vote of confidence. Not yet, at least.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Just a question, what exactly has Warde done to earn our trust? He's the one deciding if KO is right for the job, but how do we know if WM is the right guy for determining that in the first place? Warde certainly doesn't have my vote of confidence. Not yet, at least.

I think a better question is, What has he done to lose our trust? He's less than 9 months into his hiring. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for the time being...

Reaction Score
Isn't work beginning on the new BB facility? Doesn't that count?
I suppose it does, if he was the lead guy on getting all the necessary funds ready and shovels into the ground. Was it him or was it Herbst? And I'm not being sarcastic, I'm honestly asking because I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom