Warde and Calhoun | The Boneyard

Warde and Calhoun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anyone think Warde will ever leave Calhoun's side at a game ? Hathaway and Pendergast got to know many fans

Reaction Score
C

Chief00

yeah it's all on him.......these things take a long time and he "just got here"........wtf people leave the guy alone and let him do his job! We just had Hathaway and he left a mess........

There is something concerning or creepy about Warde's self image of himself, at least to me. In a recent article, his decision to initially give Ollie a 6 month contract - which basically killed any further recruiting for 2013, cost the school a considerable sum of money and made the school a laughingstock on most sports media outlets..........Warde presents as an in-genius plan to have the fans coalesce around the team.....Are you kidding me?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Hathaway was a disaster in so many ways. This guy comes in to 2 difficult situations - the screwed up conference realignment and the ill-timed retirement of a legendary coach, and some people here think he's a sack of poo because he hasn't worked miracles, he's hanging out here rather than there, whatever. As good or bad as Ollie might turn out (very good signs so far) I don't think Warde's concerns were nuts even though I thought Ollie should have gotten a 2-3 year deal right away. Ollie was shoved down his throat but he's the guy who gets the blame if the inexperienced Ollie turns out to be not up to the task. In effect Ollie got promoted from being a clerk to the executive suite without competition. He is over-seeing the step up in hockey and we know he is somehow involved in whatever is happening in football, also having inherited a recently hired head coach who every one and his brother wants to see leave. And in the world of cell phones, fax, internet, skype, who knows what can't be done from a distance or what the hell the guy is doing when one does not see him sitting next to Calhoun or out at the deli. On top of that, the University president is brand new and the big ticket items on Warde's plate clearly require working with her. I don't know how long term he works out, but give the guy some time before declaring him a flop or stalking his every move.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
There is something concerning or creepy about Warde's self image of himself, at least to me. In a recent article, his decision to initially give Ollie a 6 month contract - which basically killed any further recruiting for 2013, cost the school a considerable sum of money and made the school a laughingstock on most sports media outlets..........Warde presents as an in-genius plan to have the fans coalesce around the team.....Are you kidding me?

Did you read the article? Warde never suggested that, someone else suggested it to him AFTER it happened.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
I don't know much about Warde's other actions, but I think his Ollie thoughts were on target. As critical as the recruiting part of the future is, he needed to show to the outside world that UConn is addressing ( and had addressed) the APR issue. Once the first semester grades came out, he could show the outside world that Ollie was the "right" one. The fan base may have thought Ollie was the"right" one, but politically he needed a larger buy in.

Reaction Score
Believe it or not, Calhoun is not thought of very highly in some circles. For Warde to have immediately rubber-stamped Calhoun's selection for HC would have given the new AD a perception of weakness. Especially with the APR issues. Given the circumstances Warde, Ollie, Calhoun, and Herbst handled the transition very well.

Hathaway left a train wreck with crappy compliance dept and incredibly weak fundraising. The length of time for the hoops facility to go from announcement to groundbreaking was an embarrassment and that rests totally on Hathaway.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I started a thread about this before the holidays

he's not a schmoozer , except for hugging Calhoun all day long

Curiouser
Reaction Score
On the contrary, Calhoun seems to really like Warde Manuel. That's all the endorsement I need.
I think Calhoun really likes getting his way, and he likes Manuel a lot more now that he has. I don't think that Calhoun disliked Manuel before, except to the extent that Manuel stood between Calhoun and what Calhoun wanted, which hardly makes him unique. Given the way that such obstacles usually end up, Manuel seems to be doing better than average.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
JH alienated and sabotaged two of the three most high profile Uconn coaches - RE and JC. He didn't help them to be at a level playing field with other division 1 schools. If he worked with them the APR issue wouldn't have occurred and RE would have recruited better and stayed at UConn.

His attention to the compliance office is all you need to know about his intentions to those coaches. WM isn't kissing coaches *sses. He's been doing things on the football side that shows he's not a patsy. And he stuck to his guns about KO. But he's aware that JC is an excellent value to the university. So he's relating to him. JH worked the crowd but fundraising was horrible.

We all like to have our egos stroked. But this is a business and getting JC's support is better than getting the guys sitting in the seats. Of course he could do both and be even more effective. It may not be his strength. It's not a major failing on his part imo unless it is an across the board thing. If he shmoozes at fundraisers then not a problem. If not it is.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
Remeber this ..

http://articles.courant.com/2012-10..._1_peter-werth-pamela-werth-practice-facility

When's the last time you heard about the groundbreaking.... Doesn't make him a bad guy but if he can't get this done with 2 hall of fame coaches ....

As others with experience in the real estate industry have said in previous threads, groundbreaking for major projects doesn't occur in winter when the ground is frozen. It takes place in spring following the thaw. Everything I've read says groundbreaking for the practice facility will take place on schedule in April. It's not a matter of "he can't get this done."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The jury is out on Manual. But just like Hathaway claimed credit for the BCS bowl and men's and woman's BB championships that he had nothing to do with, Manual gets 'blame' for all the that has fallen during his breif tenure. That's just the nature of the job. If we end up getting a decent conference slot, he can retire in this job, beloved by all. If he doesn't, he'll be run of out of town and Suzie will be blamed for a bad hire.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Hathaway was a disaster in so many ways. This guy comes in to 2 difficult situations - the screwed up conference realignment and the ill-timed retirement of a legendary coach, and some people here think he's a sack of poo because he hasn't worked miracles, he's hanging out here rather than there, whatever. As good or bad as Ollie might turn out (very good signs so far) I don't think Warde's concerns were nuts even though I thought Ollie should have gotten a 2-3 year deal right away. Ollie was shoved down his throat but he's the guy who gets the blame if the inexperienced Ollie turns out to be not up to the task. In effect Ollie got promoted from being a clerk to the executive suite without competition. He is over-seeing the step up in hockey and we know he is somehow involved in whatever is happening in football, also having inherited a recently hired head coach who every one and his brother wants to see leave. And in the world of cell phones, fax, internet, skype, who knows what can't be done from a distance or what the hell the guy is doing when one does not see him sitting next to Calhoun or out at the deli. On top of that, the University president is brand new and the big ticket items on Warde's plate clearly require working with her. I don't know how long term he works out, but give the guy some time before declaring him a flop or stalking his every move.
Couldn't agree more. The people who continue to whine about "Ollie shoulda gotten a 3 yr contract right away" are looney tunes. Recruiting was screwed for a year? I got news for you - recruiting was screwed when the staff, knowing the rules, let the APR get out of hand. It was screwed with the violations that caused us to lose additional schollies. It was screwed because Calhoun took way too long to decide to retire. It was screwed because the big east is a joke and we can't get out of that hole yet. The fact that it took UCONN about 5 months to decide to give Ollie a big contract without even a sniff of a national search was completely correct, and could not possibly have happened any sooner.

You want to blame anyone for the recruiting, blame Calhoun, and/or Hathaway. Me? I'm not looking to blame anyone. The situation is what it is, but my point is to blame Warde for the mess is short sighted and unfair...

I agree with the guy who said if we end up in the ACC or Big 10 or in some other good conference situation, AND the practice facility is finished in a timely manner, pretty much all will be forgiven. Then Ollie can recruit based on his own merits and skills, and the success of the program will rest on his shoulders. He will at least have all the tools...

Reaction Score
It's probably unfair to rip Manuel 1 year in, but he definitely isn't showing any "rock star" qualities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom