"Wall Potential" and "Pterodactyl" - Hurley Quotes on Samson - More Harm than Good? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

"Wall Potential" and "Pterodactyl" - Hurley Quotes on Samson - More Harm than Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Have we ever had a wall player that saw so little PT as a frosh? I know the Covid year changed the dynamic but still curious
Someone posted stats last year that of the players who got that little playing time as freshmen, over the last 25 years, only Albert Mouring even became so much as a starter, nevermind a draft pick or AA.

Now, the super-seniors created a logjam that is unusual, but I think the impact is overstated. If Johnson were really killing it in practice, he would have gotten minutes.

I'm hopeful he can be a solid 15 mpg backup at the 4/5, but skeptical he'll be much more than that.

Reaction Score
Someone posted stats last year that of the players who got that little playing time as freshmen, over the last 25 years, only Albert Mouring even became so much as a starter, nevermind a draft pick or AA.

Now, the super-seniors created a logjam that is unusual, but I think the impact is overstated. If Johnson were really killing it in practice, he would have gotten minutes.

I'm hopeful he can be a solid 15 mpg backup at the 4/5, but skeptical he'll be much more than that.
How is the impact overstated? If Whaley and Polley didn't come back Samson would 1000% be getting a ton of PT because we would've been forced to play him

Reaction Score
How is the impact overstated? If Whaley and Polley didn't come back Samson would 1000% be getting a ton of PT because we would've been forced to play him
No. Then they would've taken transfers who were ready to play.

Reaction Score
  • Donyell Marshall
  • Ray Allen
  • Richard Hamilton
  • Caron Butler
  • Emeka Okafor
  • Rudy Gay
  • AJ Price
  • Hasheem Thabeet
  • Kemba Walker
  • Shabazz Napier
Cliff Robinson had a long NBA career as a second round player. I watched that draft. He was invited but wasn't picked. Proved everyone wrong. Plus, he was a contestant on Survivor. He may not make the Hall of Fame but should get his number retired just for that feat.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

more minutes for sure, but the flipside there is a "pterodactyl" and "wall" candidate couldn't steal ANY minutes from Polley and Whaley. Something doesn't add up in some way in this.

Reaction Score
Gratuitous shot at a coach who just dragged our program out of the AAC cellar.
And to be fair hasn't won an NCAA tourney game since arriving. It's year 5. Time to see some wins in March.

Reaction Score
Cliff Robinson had a long NBA career as a second round player. I watched that draft. He was invited but wasn't picked. Proved everyone wrong. Plus, he was a contestant on Survivor. He may not make the Hall of Fame but should get his number retired just for that feat.
He is already in the Huskies of Honor. I will say I feel the program did not do enough to honor his passing (same with Stix).

Number retirement requires being in the basketball hall of fame (dumb) which I don't see happening for any MBB players on the horizon except Rip.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
more minutes for sure, but the flipside there is a "pterodactyl" and "wall" candidate couldn't steal ANY minutes from Polley and Whaley. Something doesn't add up in some way in this.
I don’t think there was any stealing minutes from Whaley tbh. As for Polley, he seemed like a favorite of Hurley’s. I’m not sure why he consistently got the playing time and leash he did.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Hurley probably spoke too soon but anyone who is 6’10, mobile, and can shoot has NBA potential. Doesn’t mean it’s likely.

It’s should be a complete non-issue, but on the boneyard once something like that gets said, it will be brought up every time someone mentions Johnson’s name until the end of time.

Reaction Score
As far as I know, Hurley has only mentioned "NBA" in association with the following players:
  • Bouknight (lottery pick)
  • Tyrese (will likely be a 2nd round pick or undrafted 2 way player)
  • Andre (showing up in mock drafts - likely draft pick if he stays the course)
  • Hawkins (showing up in mock drafts - likely draft pick if he stays the course)
  • Samson
Seems like he doesnt just throw that stuff around loosely, so I'd say we give him the benefit of the doubt
He said Sid Wilson had NBA potential.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Like the infamous "Ferrari" quote from KO back eight years ago (can it be that long already?), Hurley seems to be out ahead of his skis with these quotes. Being up on the Gampel "Wall" takes some serious talent and body of work over time. Samson barely played which makes the "wall potential" moniker seem both outlandish and harmful by setting expectations far too high. I get the "potential" upside but one's person's potential is another's project. Feels like Samson is set up to fail if he doesn't reach these lofty projections. Seems like Hurley overhypes players. More results and less quoting and hyperbole as he enters Year 5 without a tournament win during his tenure.
Did the “Ferrari” play in the NBA.?

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
He said Sid Wilson had NBA potential.
I don’t remember that but I do remember recruits saying the staff expected Gaffney to be an early entrant (eek)

Reaction Score
I would love for someone to find some evidence of this, or the gaffney thing, because I’m pretty confident both are apocryphal.

The Gaffney stuff came from Zags, and people just attributed it to Hurley. There were a few throwaway comments in some Keels/Diggins recruiting articles about Bouknight and Gaffney being the next early entrants

Sid Wilson did happen, although the full quote was far less glowing

“I love to work with talents like Sid. He’s got a lot of layers to him, an interesting personality. One day he’s the best player, the next day you wonder if he’s hiding behind Dan [Brocke], the walk-on. Sid, right now, is the type of guy who is going to need a lot of coaching, tough love and standards because he has NBA talent. He’s 6-8, plays way above the rim, can put it on the floor, shoot 3’s, can guard any position. He just oozes talent, but sometimes when you have that type of talent you kind of coast and with my coaching style that’s not a great fit. … He has as high a ceiling as Jalen.”

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I would love for someone to find some evidence of this, or the gaffney thing, because I’m pretty confident both are apocryphal.
I’m too lazy to do it but if anyone has the memory or energy, I’m pretty sure the Gaffney thing was from quotes from a guard we had on campus after Gaffney’s freshman year. I’m not sure the recruit specified who exactly was saying it so it could’ve not been Hurley I guess.

Reaction Score
Closest player is probably Hilton, but even he had 320 minutes to Samson's 60. Covid year definitely pushed Samson's minutes down though so I have high hopes for him

We also didn't have a power forward when Hilton was a freshman.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
He is already in the Huskies of Honor. I will say I feel the program did not do enough to honor his passing (same with Stix).

Number retirement requires being in the basketball hall of fame (dumb) which I don't see happening for any MBB players on the horizon except Rip.
currently, 3rd in nba career oboard percentage, 1st in nba career dboard percentage, and 1st in nba career total board percentage, im betting on andre to make the hall.

and he's not even 30 years of age. what if he plays another ten years or so?
it will be statistically impossible to keep him out.

Reaction Score
The Gaffney stuff came from Zags, and people just attributed it to Hurley. There were a few throwaway comments in some Keels/Diggins recruiting articles about Bouknight and Gaffney being the next early entrants

Sid Wilson did happen, although the full quote was far less glowing
People do understand what the word potential means right?

Ex: “Most people on the BY had potential not to be idiots when they grew up.” Just because people have potential, doesn’t mean it’s a sure thing

Not calling OP or anyone particular an idiot, make that determination for yourselves

Reaction Score
currently, 3rd in nba career oboard percentage, 1st in nba career dboard percentage, and 1st in nba career total board percentage, im betting on andre to make the hall.

and he's not even 30 years of age. what if he plays another ten years or so?
it will be statistically impossible to keep him out.
2x All Star & 1x All NBA playing in a game that’s kinda phasing him out.

It will be almost impossible to put him in

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
2x All Star & 1x All NBA playing in a game that’s kinda phasing him out.

It will be almost impossible to put him in
apparently, u can't even remember what u wrote minutes before. here, i'll help:
'People do understand what the word potential means right?'
here's what i wrote:
'and he's not even 30 years of age.'
who ya got in the 2031 Kentucky derby? i want to get my bet in early.

Reaction Score
And yet he’s an almost remarkably boring interview. It’s bizarre.
Interesting take.

I think the dichotomy between a constant talker and a boring interviewee, has to do with who controls the conversation.

At an interview, a person often is constrained by having to respond to specific questions raised by the interviewer. Unless, the person being interviewed , chooses to ignore the questions and goes off on a tangent.

In a non-interview situation, the talker, or in this case Hurley, controls the room or just can free flow what he wants. Like when UConn gets a commit and then Hurley's comments to the press can kind of be free flowing and a barrage of words non-stop.

Just a theory, so maybe there is another and better explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom