Wall of Honor for Kia? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Wall of Honor for Kia?

Reaction Score
Wbbfan 1- - - I think it is disrespectful of anyone to say she has not EARNED being an AA by her play this season or in her 3 past seasons! She has been an AA in waiting for her whole UCONN career!
So I can tell you are a huge Kia fan right?:rolleyes: You lost me at the two statements quoted above because folks can have a difference in opinion and it not be "disrespectful." Also the last 3 years having nothing to do with this year as she did not deserve to be AA those years because.... as good as she was Stewie, Morah, Tuck, Gabby, KLS, (other Non-UConn standouts,) etc... were better and took those AA slots rightfully so. It is not a slight on Kia because those are mostly elite two way players that have carried their teams in multiple spots/games.

That said, I agree that she should make the 10 player AA team this year, she is not top 5. Let's hope that she does make the wall but she will always be remembered as a warrior and true Husky regardless. On a side note, my favorite part of Senior night was seeing Kia's true expression of happiness for Gabby as her banner was displayed. For all the good points you made about her, Kia's unselfish team play might be her best attribute.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think making the 10-player WBCA list is a sufficient condition for the WOH. I do not believe, nor have I seen it from a UConn source, that it is a necessary condition. Of course, anyone on the AP list of 5 is virtually guaranteed to be on the 10-player WBCA list. However, there can be differences between the USBWA list and WBCA list. The announcement at Senior Night always references “1st Team All-American.” I’ve never heard it said as “1st Team WBCA All-American.”

Have we had any UConn players make the WBCA list but not the USBWA list or the reverse?
Kara Wolters was “only” named a WBCA All-American once but was named a USBWA All-American twice and UConn lists her as a two-time All-American so I think the USBWA counts.

Reaction Score
I think Nurse is on the bubble for the WBCA squad...she's had a solid year, but she's always struck me as more of a role player than an All American type of player. I think Kelly Faris is a good comparison in terms of her role on the team, but I do think Kelly was a much stronger all around player her senior year than Kia has shown. Kelly was more involved offensively, scored in a variety of ways, made all the hustle plays and also impacted the game by being a great rebounder. Kia has a very specific role in what she does at Connecticut, and she's outstanding at it. She hits open looks, finishes layups and is a hawk defensively. Most significant is her extreme efficiency, but she doesn't impact the game like an AA does in my opinion. She's never shown ability to be a go to player, nor has she put her team on her back or proven she can create for herself or others offensively. She does impact the game defensively, but AA awards definitely favor offensive players, otherwise we would've seen the likes of Kelly Faris, Nicky Anosike, and others make AA teams. She does a lot of the dirty work like setting picks and playing tough in your face defense, but players with that skill set are valued role players rather than All Americans.

To me, eye test says a player like Williams or Collier is more likely to make a team than Nurse. Kia has had a lot of positive publicity this year and I think if UCONN gets 3, she'll be the 3rd player to make the team over Collier, largely due to seniority, but I think she just misses if the season ended today.

I do think Nurse has a brighter outlook than Faris when it comes to pro ball. Kia does has such a defined skillset that she'll create her niche as a tough defensive guard who knocks down open shots. Spark plug off the bench type of player.
I think this is the clearest, most accurate post about who and what Kia has been and is.
I too don't see her as an AA because of the points stated above. That doesn't take away from the wonderful player, teammate and human being she has been.
I'm sure it's much more important to her to win another NC, than be on the wall. Of course she would treasure that honor as well.
Bronx23

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
As much fun as it’s been to speculate year after year about which All-American teams qualify a player for the Huskies of Honor, I was growing a little weary of it, so I decided to contact Pat McKenna at UConn to find out. His response:

"The WBCA, USBWA, AP and Wooden Teams are the ones we give the most credence to. The WBCA is the one we use when determining entry into the Huskies of Honor though as that is a 10-member team. Everyone in the Huskies of Honor was a member of the WBCA All-America Team."

IMG_5521.jpg

So there you have it. And yes, I realize that the USBWA names a 10-member team as well, but what can I tell you. A few other notes:

• As suggested by another poster above, Kerry Bascom was named to the WBCA first team in 1990-91, and the media guide lists her accordingly.

• There's some confusion in this thread about Kara Wolters. Kara is indeed recognized by UConn as a two-time All-American (I consulted the original 2006 Huskies of Honor media release to confirm this). But according to the media guide, Kara was named a first-team All-American by the WBCA once, and by the USBWA once, but by the AP twice. I understand how little intuitive sense that makes, given that the AP first team is half the size of the others, but that's what the media guide says happened.

• Unsurprisingly, there is no other instance (besides Kara Wolters in 1995-96) of a UConn player making the AP first team but missing the WBCA first team. And no UConn player (in any season) has ever made the USBWA first team without also making the WBCA first team.

• I'll never understand how Sue Bird could win the Nancy Lieberman award as the nation's best point guard three times but be named a first-team All-American only once, as a senior. Simply baffling.

As far as Kia is concerned… I happen to believe that her performance this season is worthy of first-team AA status, but at the same time I understand that competition for those 10 spots will be fierce. My gut tells me that UConn's three nominees this year will be Lou, Gabby, and Kia, but only time will tell if the coaches decide to name three Huskies to the first team for the fifth year in a row. Finally, I commend everyone on this thread for not bringing Chris Dailey's name into this discussion of All-Americans and the Huskies of Honor.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
The WBCA All-American selections were sponsored by State Farm and Kodak in earlier years. Though the name is different, it’s really the same thing.
Milford: "Which companies originally sponsored the WBCA All-American selections?"
Alex: "Correct for $1,600. Choose again, Milford."
You guys never cease to amaze me with your knowledge.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I never said Kia didn't deserve All American Status. All I've said to be make the Wall of Honor only the WBCA All American Team Counts. Its going to be up to Geno and the Coaches if Kia has a chance to make the WBCA All American Team. I'm speculating that Gabby and KLS will be Nominated. Then who is the 3rd UConn player that gets nominated. Is it Kia, Azura, Napheesa or for that matter Crystal who's had a great year. UConn can only nominate three players and if I had to guess Kia will be the 3rd Nominee. There are quite a guards nation wide that have had a great year with more gaudy stats and it will be tough for Kia to make All American if she's the 3rd UConn player nominated.

Reaction Score
Although there seems to be a lot of angst among us Kia fans as to whether or not she will make some 10-member 1st Team All American squad the real issue here IMHO is her being acknowledged in some way by UCONN for her significant four-year contribution to the program. Having a banner on the wall, especially next to her best friend, would be the icing on the cake. Bottom line is this, it should ideally really be up to Geno et al who decides who deserves such an acknowledgement, and allowing others to indirectly make that decision is convenient. I'm not saying it shouldn't be that way because some criteria is necessary but the power should ultimately rest with him, again IMHO. That being said, I admit Kia is probably a borderline candidate for the WBCA 1st Team AA because there are so many good candidates. I find myself counting more on the influence of Jose Fernandez, the WBCA AA committee's chair, than I do Geno or any other UCONN coach in this regard as I think the latter's hands are tied. As far as Kia goes, I look at it this way. As an Olympian, and even her country's flag bearer at the last Olympics for that matter, she has already achieved more than many shoo-ins for 1st Team AA will ever achieve in their careers. Plus she is a bona fide superstar in Canada even if she does not achieve the same status in this country, in all likelihood carrying at least a share of the weight of the future of women's basketball in Canada on her shoulders. And with grace and dignity. I look forward to following her career in the WNBA and as a starting guard on the Canadian National Team. So I won't cry for Kia of she doesn't make the wall, and she certainly won't. But I will miss that kid.

Reaction Score
Thank you Lynx23, your post articulated my feelings better than I could have done it myself. Kia's stats were not gaudy because she deferred or should I say allowed others the scorings and spotlights. I have seen her torching US team with BS and MoJeff in the PanAm game. Kia's 3 point shooting percentage this year is almost the same Lou's, about 47% for both of them. May be she will be AA or not, but her impact on the last 4 years on UConn was second to none.

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
As much fun as it’s been to speculate year after year about which All-American teams qualify a player for the Huskies of Honor, I was growing a little weary of it, so I decided to contact Pat McKenna at UConn to find out. His response:

"The WBCA, USBWA, AP and Wooden Teams are the ones we give the most credence to. The WBCA is the one we use when determining entry into the Huskies of Honor though as that is a 10-member team. Everyone in the Huskies of Honor was a member of the WBCA All-America Team."

View attachment 29047

So there you have it. And yes, I realize that the USBWA names a 10-member team as well, but what can I tell you. A few other notes:

• As suggested by another poster above, Kerry Bascom was named to the WBCA first team in 1990-91, and the media guide lists her accordingly.

• There's some confusion in this thread about Kara Wolters. Kara is indeed recognized by UConn as a two-time All-American (I consulted the original 2006 Huskies of Honor media release to confirm this). But according to the media guide, Kara was named a first-team All-American by the WBCA once, and by the USBWA once, but by the AP twice. I understand how little intuitive sense that makes, given that the AP first team is half the size of the others, but that's what the media guide says happened.

• Unsurprisingly, there is no other instance (besides Kara Wolters in 1995-96) of a UConn player making the AP first team but missing the WBCA first team. And no UConn player (in any season) has ever made the USBWA first team without also making the WBCA first team.

• I'll never understand how Sue Bird could win the Nancy Lieberman award as the nation's best point guard three times but be named a first-team All-American only once, as a senior. Simply baffling.

As far as Kia is concerned… I happen to believe that her performance this season is worthy of first-team AA status, but at the same time I understand that competition for those 10 spots will be fierce. My gut tells me that UConn's three nominees this year will be Lou, Gabby, and Kia, but only time will tell if the coaches decide to name three Huskies to the first team for the fifth year in a row. Finally, I commend everyone on this thread for not bringing Chris Dailey's name into this discussion of All-Americans and the Huskies of Honor.

I'd like to express my appreciation for this information. It once and for all provides a definitive answer to something that is speculated every year on this board.

Reaction Score
I'd like to express my appreciation for this information. It once and for all provides a definitive answer to something that is speculated every year on this board.
No, this discussion will most certainly occur again next year about his time :D

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

View attachment 29047

Good work @Jimbo. However I believe that @meyers7 consecutive posts a few back told us the same thing that Pat's response tells us.

Reaction Score
IMHO Kia will make both AP & WBCA AA 1st teams! One thing you can take to the bank about Geno Auriemma is his loyalty to his players /program!
After everything Kia has done for UCONN's WBB over the past 4 years he WILL do anything he possibly can to give Kia Nurse a great chance at being on either/or the AP or WBCA list of AA's!
He was really doing all he could to help the team win a National Championship but especially for Renee Montgomery who hadn't won a Title in her previous 3 years and desperately wanted to give her, "her Championship" in her last chance!
Kia will definitely be one of his 3 nominees for AA! Quite possibly the first name on his list!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom