Wall of Honor for Kia? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Wall of Honor for Kia?

Reaction Score
A player can only go on the Wall of Honor if they are an All American on the WBCA All American Team. No other All American Teams count in determining a player being placed on the Wall of Honor. Nor does winning any of the Major Awards Count.

I don't believe that first sentence is correct. My go to guy on these things is @meyers7. Regarding that last sentence, you are not going to win a major award and not be included on SOMEBODY'S AA team.
I do believe Wbbfan1' s statement is correct. The BY has this discussion every year at this time, and every year it is borne out that WBCA AA is the sole criteria for HOH.

Reaction Score
As you emphasized, same question year after year after year. Hope she makes WBCA AA.

Reaction Score
A player can only go on the Wall of Honor if they are an All American on the WBCA All American Team. No other All American Teams count in determining a player being placed on the Wall of Honor. Nor does winning any of the Major Awards Count.
WBCA and AP for HoH.

Reaction Score
Another question for the group: I thought conference tourneys did count in AA balloting, but NCAA tourney games obviously do not. Someone posted that only the regular season counts, which means that everyone’s body of work is complete. Are we absolutely certain of this?
I'm curious about this, too. If conference tourney play does not count, for example, then why do they wait until deep into March to announce the national All American teams?

Reaction Score
I'm curious about this, too. If conference tourney play does not count, for example, then why do they wait until deep into March to announce the national All American teams?
That has never made sense to me either. They probably already know who made the team, but won't tell us until the final four.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I thought for HoH it was either the AP or WBCA teams they used only.
The ESPN and SI selections haven’t been used yet. Could they be used in the future? Maybe.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As noted, I believe making the AP or WBCA 1st Team AA is a SUFFICIENT condition to get on the Wall. All past members have made one or both. However, I’ve never seen a UConn source say that those TWO lists were the only ones considered. Nor have I ever seen from an authoritative source that making the USBWA 1st Team does NOT get a player on the Wall. I recall reading that making any of the THREE major lists was the criterion. Sorry, folks, I need a UConn source. Anyone want to contact the SID?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Post season play or even conference tournaments does not figure into any of these awards.

I don't believe that first sentence is correct. My go to guy on these things is @meyers7. Regarding that last sentence, you are not going to win a major award and not be included on SOMEBODY'S AA team.
I just go by the Media guide. They have the AP (5), WBCA (10) and USBWA (10).

But if you are on the AP, you're gonna be on the WBCA. And the WBCA and USBWA are usually very close if not identical.

I don't think there is anyone on the wall (players) who was not WBCA. Checking into it, there isn't. And there isn't anyone who was USWBA or AP and was not WBCA.

So we've never had anyone just USWBA to test the theory.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I do believe Wbbfan1' s statement is correct. The BY has this discussion every year at this time, and every year it is borne out that WBCA AA is the sole criteria for HOH.
No that's not what gets borne out. What gets borne out is that all the UCONN AP honoree's and USWBA honoree's have also been WBCA honoree's.

We have never been able to test out if a player only showed up on AP or USWBA. But since these 3 are what is listed in the Media Guide, I assume any of them would suffice for the Wall.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
All due respect, you're off a year. And I think 1st team AP also gets you on the wall, Of course, if you make that team, it's highly likely you'll be on the WBCA and USBWA teams. It's always been fuzzy to me whether the USBWA team counts.
I assumed he was quoting Adamec's article which was written last year, so they were a year younger when it was written. And I think The Daily Campus article from last April is the source of the information that only WBCA qualifies a player for the wall. Perhaps I misread, or perhaps the authors are mistaken; but WBBfan seems to getting printed source material for his post. Regardless, I really hope Kia gets her place on that wall. :)

Reaction Score
If I am not mistaken Kerry Bascom was a Kodak All American. And she is a HOH. So you don't necessarily have to be a WBCA All American. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If I am not mistaken Kerry Bascom was a Kodak All American. And she is a HOH. So you don't necessarily have to be a WBCA All American. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
The WBCA All-American selections were sponsored by State Farm and Kodak in earlier years. Though the name is different, it’s really the same thing.

Reaction Score
I have always thought the WBCA voters had the benefit of seeing the conference tourneys before the AA balloting. ??

Reaction Score
There's a good link here to the criteria and selection process for making the 10-player WBCA Coaches' All-America list:

WBCA Coaches' All-America

Certain desirable details are not provided, such as the timing of the voting and the committee's final selection. But based on what I'm seeing, I would be very reluctant to conclude that the performance under evaluation is necessarily limited to regular season, pre-conference tournament play.

Reaction Score
I don't know much about AA or HoH criteria nor do I care, but Kia Nurse is and will always be an AA and HoH UConn great in my mind and heart !!!! I just hope that Geno agrees with me.

Reaction Score
Maybe the best complementary/glue player we've ever had, but she's more a rich man's Kelly Faris than a bona fide star.

She won't be on the Wall, but she will always be a fan favorite.

As I observe Kia's play, development, and leadership over her career I can't help seeing the more accomplished career Caroline Doty would have had sans knee injuries. IMHO, as basketball players Nurse and Doty are/were cut from the same competitive cloth.

Reaction Score

Bascomfan- - Kerry Bascom WAS a Kodak AA which no longer has an AA poll! There was another AA poll that no longer is around!
The AP WBB writers and Women's Basketball Coaches Association have taken over the top spots on the AA listing!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
WBCA Criteria.

• Current season game-by-game statistics and achievements
  • Impact on the team
  • Success of the team
  • Sportsmanship and attitude
  • Academic eligibility
Kia rates well on the first point, but ridiculously high on the other four. Success of the team? Does 140-1 (less a few games for injury) as a starter measure up?

Reaction Score
WBCA Criteria.

• Impact on the team
  • Success of the team
  • Academic eligibility
Kia rates well on the first point, but ridiculously high on the other four. Success of the team? Does 140-1 (less a few games for injury) as a starter measure up?

If these are the criteria she should be a shoo-in. Guess we'll see but I'm suddenly feeling better about her chances.

Reaction Score
WBCA Criteria.

• Impact on the team
  • Success of the team
  • Academic eligibility

Sure, but it's not a lifetime achievement award.

Are you really going to put Kia on that team over, e.g. Victoria Vivians, whose team is also undefeated and who has put up gaudier stats?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sure, but it's not a lifetime achievement award.

Are you really going to put Kia on that team over, e.g. Victoria Vivians, whose team is also undefeated and who has put up gaudier stats?
Probably not over Vivians but with her.

I know it’s not a lifetime award, but the voters are human and often factor in other things.

Reaction Score
I don't know much about AA or HoH criteria nor do I care, but Kia Nurse is and will always be an AA and HoH UConn great in my mind and heart !!!! I just hope that Geno agrees with me.
I care about the HoH criteria because I want recruits to look up at the wall and see what types of contributions matter at UCONN. As pure as your heart and mind may be, they are not public spaces that tell the who and why of UCONN's sustained excellence.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom