Wall of Honor for Kia? | The Boneyard

Wall of Honor for Kia?

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
I saw the narrowing of the Naismith list to ten.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketbal...ismith-watch-list-narrowed-10?cid=sf183137883

*In order for Kia to be placed on the Wall of Honor, she must be named first team AA, right?

*I believe that Kia has earned it but my vote does not count.

*Assuming that the UCONN coaches nominate Kia for AA, in addition to Lou and Gabby, thereby not naming Napheesa, as I understand there is only one group of note that nominates a full ten first team AAs.

*So: if KIA is not considered Top Ten by Naismith, what are her chances elsewhere? Jose Fernandez is on record as supporting her as AA, and his vote, I believe, does count.

Any insights or opinions? Too late for a fans' write-in?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
For clarity-here's what I know:

WBCA-10 team squad
Associated Press -5 player squad, 1st team, 2nd team, 3rd team, Honorable Mention
Naismith-not aware they have a "team" only a POY.

As always, anyone who has further clarity, please opine

Reaction Score
Unfortunate that whoever makes "the wall" is ultimately determined by individuals who can't possibly understand Kia's importance to the team but that's the way it is. With at least one exception, however, (maybe more). Jose Fernandez is the Chair of the WBCA A A Selection Committee. Kia probably has a chance to make 1st Team with this group. Jose has seen her play twice this year, both times a major contributor to shutting down his top shooters. He has seen her direct traffic, and redirect it when necessary; I observed that firsthand at the game last night. He has also seen her pass up her shot for a teammate's better shot. This frustrates us fans at times but that's who she is. That was evident last night as well. It's obvious Kia is not interested in padding her stats ( I'm not inferring anyone else is). Some posters call this disappearing in big games. I can guarantee you that if she actually disappeared, teams would be picking us apart from outside the three. She's a consummate team player and always has been. So, we'll see how much influence Jose has as Chair. He seems to be in pretty good stead with Geno, who has always been very respectful of his program. Obviously he doesn't make the decision alone but I have to imagine he can influence it. Anything can happen but of this I'm quite certain. Not making it won't bother Kia nearly as much as it might bother her fans. Another thing I'm quite sure of, and for Gabby as well. Not winning the NCAA this year is not an option and this holds far more importance to both than a banner on a wall although it was great to see Gabby earn it.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Maybe the best complementary/glue player we've ever had, but she's more a rich man's Kelly Faris than a bona fide star.

She won't be on the Wall, but she will always be a fan favorite.
I get your gist but I disagree-she is a bona fide star. She's on the Canadian National/Olympic team, she's on the short list for Nancy Lieberman Award and has a real shot at DPOY in the AAC which gets you on the national defensive POY list.

She's on the bubble for being AA. As much as Kelly was a fan favorite, Kia is a better talent all-around than Kelly and will have a longer pro career...just one fanatics opinion...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

WBCA-10 team squad
Associated Press -5 player squad, 1st team, 2nd team, 3rd team, Honorable Mention

There’s the 5-player AP team, the 10-player coaches team, and the 10-player sportswriters team.

Reaction Score
There’s the 5-player AP team, the 10-player coaches team, and the 10-player sportswriters team.

Milford, so, if she makes one of these, she's on the wall?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
A player can only go on the Wall of Honor if they are an All American on the WBCA All American Team. No other All American Teams count in determining a player being placed on the Wall of Honor. Nor does winning any of the Major Awards Count.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think Kia best chance is the WBCA AA team because coaches value defense more than lazy writers who will only look at offensive numbers. UCONN can only nominate 3 players for this team. There is also the aspect of the UCONN streak of having placed 3 players on this AA squad for it seems like forever now really since 2013.
Kia also has two possible award related path to AA. If she wins the Liberman she should be on the team. Liberman award is not likely for kia but still a posibility. If Kia wins the National DPOY award she will also be likely be on the WBCA AA team. Debbie Antonelli was giving Kia and Gabby mad props for being candidates for DPOY during the broadcast last night. Antonelli should know she sits on the selection committee for that award.

Reaction Score
She is indeed right on the bubble, and I think her fate will be determined by how well her play holds up or maybe even improves in post-season play.

There are a few factors that might help her get onto the WCBA 10-player squad. First, UConn can be strategic in the players that they nominate. Second, UConn will probably still be undefeated when voting wraps up. Third, this is the coaches team, and they are the most familiar with her and the weight of the intangibles that she brings.

Finally, I believe that Jose is chair of the voting committee. And while he is not technically on record as "supporting her as AA", he did say in a post-game presser that she and Azura "would have to be in the conversation". Plus he will likely have seen her play live on three separate occasions this year by the time the votes are cast.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She is indeed right on the bubble, and I think her fate will be determined by how her play well her play holds up or maybe even improves in post-season play.
Post season play or even conference tournaments does not figure into any of these awards.
A player can only go on the Wall of Honor if they are an All American on the WBCA All American Team. No other All American Teams count in determining a player being placed on the Wall of Honor. Nor does winning any of the Major Awards Count.
I don't believe that first sentence is correct. My go to guy on these things is @meyers7. Regarding that last sentence, you are not going to win a major award and not be included on SOMEBODY'S AA team.

Reaction Score
I get your gist but I disagree-she is a bona fide star. She's on the Canadian National/Olympic team, she's on the short list for Nancy Lieberman Award and has a real shot at DPOY in the AAC which gets you on the national defensive POY list.

She's on the bubble for being AA. As much as Kelly was a fan favorite, Kia is a better talent all-around than Kelly and will have a longer pro career...just one fanatics opinion...
IMO Kia is a far better player than KF.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think Nurse is on the bubble for the WBCA squad...she's had a solid year, but she's always struck me as more of a role player than an All American type of player. I think Kelly Faris is a good comparison in terms of her role on the team, but I do think Kelly was a much stronger all around player her senior year than Kia has shown. Kelly was more involved offensively, scored in a variety of ways, made all the hustle plays and also impacted the game by being a great rebounder. Kia has a very specific role in what she does at Connecticut, and she's outstanding at it. She hits open looks, finishes layups and is a hawk defensively. Most significant is her extreme efficiency, but she doesn't impact the game like an AA does in my opinion. She's never shown ability to be a go to player, nor has she put her team on her back or proven she can create for herself or others offensively. She does impact the game defensively, but AA awards definitely favor offensive players, otherwise we would've seen the likes of Kelly Faris, Nicky Anosike, and others make AA teams. She does a lot of the dirty work like setting picks and playing tough in your face defense, but players with that skill set are valued role players rather than All Americans.

To me, eye test says a player like Williams or Collier is more likely to make a team than Nurse. Kia has had a lot of positive publicity this year and I think if UCONN gets 3, she'll be the 3rd player to make the team over Collier, largely due to seniority, but I think she just misses if the season ended today.

I do think Nurse has a brighter outlook than Faris when it comes to pro ball. Kia does has such a defined skillset that she'll create her niche as a tough defensive guard who knocks down open shots. Spark plug off the bench type of player.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Junior Gabby Williams and sophomores Napheesa Collier and Katie Lou Samuelson were named to the 10-player Women's Basketball Coaches Association All-America team on Saturday. Selection to the WBCA team qualifies a UConn player for the Huskies of Honor with the program traditionally inducting the player on their respective Senior Day.

Huskies place 3 on WBCA All-America team

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Recognition as a WBCA All-American is especially important for UConn players, as recognition as a WBCA All-American is the only requirement to be considered for the Huskies of Honor. Now, Samuelson, Collier and Williams are eligible to have a shot at having their name alongside other UConn greats.

Women's Basketball: Collier, Samuelson and Williams named WBCA All-Americans

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

My opinion is that your opinion is pretty close to fact.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Junior Gabby Williams and sophomores Napheesa Collier and Katie Lou Samuelson were named to the 10-player Women's Basketball Coaches Association All-America team on Saturday. Selection to the WBCA team qualifies a UConn player for the Huskies of Honor with the program traditionally inducting the player on their respective Senior Day.

All due respect, you're off a year. And I think 1st team AP also gets you on the wall, Of course, if you make that team, it's highly likely you'll be on the WBCA and USBWA teams. It's always been fuzzy to me whether the USBWA team counts.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score

WBCA-10 team squad

DBB, I was treating the late-February Naismith "Top Ten" assessment as a possible measure of how KIA is viewed at this late date by an important part of the WCBB community, asking for opinions on her specific chances elsewhere. Does that help?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I think making the 10-player WBCA list is a sufficient condition for the WOH. I do not believe, nor have I seen it from a UConn source, that it is a necessary condition. Of course, anyone on the AP list of 5 is virtually guaranteed to be on the 10-player WBCA list. However, there can be differences between the USBWA list and WBCA list. The announcement at Senior Night always references “1st Team All-American.” I’ve never heard it said as “1st Team WBCA All-American.”

Have we had any UConn players make the WBCA list but not the USBWA list or the reverse?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Another question for the group: I thought conference tourneys did count in AA balloting, but NCAA tourney games obviously do not. Someone posted that only the regular season counts, which means that everyone’s body of work is complete. Are we absolutely certain of this?

Reaction Score

Wbbfan 1- - - There are only 2 ways to make the Wall of Honor, the AP All-American team, which has 5 1st team members, and the WBCA All-American team which has 10 members! The Sportswriters AA team has no bearing on formal AA recognition!
Last year Katie Lou and Napheesa made the AP 5 member team AND the WBCA 10 member squad, while Gabby was the 3rd UCONN player on the WBCA team! There have been different versions of AA teams such as KODAK AA Team in the past but presently AP & WBCA teams are considered the main ones!

As far as Kia Nurse earning an AA spot on either/or the AP or WBCA teams she has led the nation in 3-pt shooting % for the whole season except for the last 3 weeks where Katie Lou has passed her and both are ranked 1 & 2 in Division I at the present time! She is considered one of the top 2 or 3 players in Division I, defensively! Every team UCONN has played can testify that Kia has locked down their star guard in their game with UCONN!
I think it is disrespectful of anyone to say she has not EARNED being an AA by her play this season or in her 3 past seasons! She has been an AA in waiting for her whole UCONN career! She has been faced with having the greatest College players in American on her own team limiting the number that are eligible for that honor! I have many times in the past stated that the Uniform a player wears should have NO bearing on whether they are named AA! If the best 4 or 5 players in Division I happen to play for UCONN should have no negative impact on their being named AP AA or WBCA AA!
If Crystal Dangerfield hadn't had a severe case of shin splints that affected her shooting she should have had a shot to make AA at PG, and if Azura' defense hadn't been a step behind her offense she should have been considered for AA also! Next season Crystal Dangerfield and Azura will join Katie Lou and Pheesa as AA candidates!
IMHO Kia will be named to BOTH AP & WBCA AA teams thus earning her spot on the Wall of Honor!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom