Walking Dead Season 8 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Walking Dead Season 8

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I’m seeing this train wreck through whether it’s one or two more seasons. I have to. For closures sake.

I've been saying that, but idk. I might just read episode recaps. It's tested my will thus far, but I'm just like, what am I fighting for here?

The meta implication is that the great slog is playing out both onscreen....and on our couches. Savvy.

Reaction Score
My tune back in for final 3 episode strategy came screeching to a halt. Even though I had no built up expectations for the war I come away from the episode highly underwhelmed.
In the moment I was truly nervous for Rick & Co. and thought Negan had them pinned. The way it literally backfired instantly was momentarily confusing, then immediately shifted to the Rick v Negan fight - essentially the show saying this is all you really wanted to see anyway. That was fine, but 'let him live' seemed unearned.
My DVR shut off after the Dwight banishing scene, don't care what happens next.

The way the undid the war drama is emblematic of caring about the show, I'm left feeling why bother. Its simply not entertaining enough if you don't care about the characters & the characters are too inconsistently or inexplicably motivated to care about.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
My tune back in for final 3 episode strategy came screeching to a halt. Even though I had no built up expectations for the war I come away from the episode highly underwhelmed.
In the moment I was truly nervous for Rick & Co. and thought Negan had them pinned. The way it literally backfired instantly was momentarily confusing, then immediately shifted to the Rick v Negan fight - essentially the show saying this is all you really wanted to see anyway. That was fine, but 'let him live' seemed unearned.
My DVR shut off after the Dwight banishing scene, don't care what happens next.

The way the undid the war drama is emblematic of caring about the show, I'm left feeling why bother. Its simply not entertaining enough if you don't care about the characters & the characters are too inconsistently or inexplicably motivated to care about.

There are shockingly few likable characters on this show.

You didn't miss much, other than Maggie, Daryl, and Rosita secretly rebuking Rick's decision and planning retribution against Negan. Basically setting up some sort of civil war story line I guess.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I agree it wasn't a great "Season Finale". And the end of the "War" was kind of "that was it?". I still like the show and some of the characters on it.

However, I thought the Season Premier for "Fear The Walking Dead" was actually better than The Walking Dead. Hmmmm.

I'm expecting the time jump that the comic had for Season 9. (Fear just did a time jump). They've moved Gimple up the ladder and TWD will have a new Showrunner. Maybe this reset will help.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Tried to watch it Sunday. Fell asleep. I'll blame beer and Mezcal, but the show didn't help. Got through it last night. It was a bit odd. The backfiring bullets, well, they fire or they are duds. Not sure they could do what he made them do. Rick suddenly finding Jesus...I mean Carl, because Carl is now essentially the modern deity for this world, that seemed forced. Maggie plotting against Rick? That rings utterly false to me. Glenn wouldn't support that.

Revenge and emotion drives too much on this show. Rick, Shane, Negan, so many others all driven by their losses instead of looking ahead. The reality is that people would become hardened to the losses, as the human species was for most of its existence. Survival is a stronger driver of behavior and we don't see people behaving as they would several years into the Z Apocalypse. This stuff worked in seasons 1-2, but these survivors would be different now.

Reaction Score
I agree it wasn't a great "Season Finale". And the end of the "War" was kind of "that was it?". I still like the show and some of the characters on it.

However, I thought the Season Premier for "Fear The Walking Dead" was actually better than The Walking Dead. Hmmmm.

I'm expecting the time jump that the comic had for Season 9. (Fear just did a time jump). They've moved Gimple up the ladder and TWD will have a new Showrunner. Maybe this reset will help.
I think it is over. I saw an article that Rick is leaving after 5 or so more episodes. He's the show & although the diehards will still watch, I think their gradually disintegrating casual fanbase will whither away either before or within a millisecond of Rick's demise.

Its ironic that Carl - who was the worst the first few seasons - is the one loss/death the show ultimately could not sustain as it ends any through-line from the great pilot & series start which is so important to loyalty & caring. I'm sure they'll make Baby Judith a teenager to try and carry on the Grimes name, but its about the actual characters and having no one left that existed in audience's experience pre-apocalypse = who cares.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think it is over. I saw an article that Rick is leaving after 5 or so more episodes. He's the show & although the diehards will still watch, I think their gradually disintegrating casual fanbase will whither away either before or within a millisecond of Rick's demise.

Its ironic that Carl - who was the worst the first few seasons - is the one loss/death the show ultimately could not sustain as it ends any through-line from the great pilot & series start which is so important to loyalty & caring. I'm sure they'll make Baby Judith a teenager to try and carry on the Grimes name, but its about the actual characters and having no one left that existed in audience's experience pre-apocalypse = who cares.
I think 2 more seasons. This next one will in the can soon enough already. They will probably give themselves at least 1 more after that. They still pull in some of the better numbers out there. They are down to 7.5, but that's still really good for Cable. They'd still be in the top 10 of Network shows.

Reaction Score
I think 2 more seasons. This next one will in the can soon enough already. They will probably give themselves at least 1 more after that. They still pull in some of the better numbers out there. They are down to 7.5, but that's still really good for Cable. They'd still be in the top 10 of Network shows.
Oh no doubt its been a cash cow and treated as such for awhile now. It makes money and it will keep the core/gore viewers. It is really too bad that a seemingly creatively free decision of 'no cure, no end in sight' worked to form a vacuum that slow-played plot, regurgitated character arcs and over-relied on villain antagonists vs surviving itself being the fight.
It is essentially a brilliant money making TV show (or comic I suppose) sustaining device to never allow 'escape', but a shame that the show never explored trying to.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Oh no doubt its been a cash cow and treated as such for awhile now. It makes money and it will keep the core/gore viewers. It is really too bad that a seemingly creatively free decision of 'no cure, no end in sight' worked to form a vacuum that slow-played plot, regurgitated character arcs and over-relied on villain antagonists vs surviving itself being the fight.
It is essentially a brilliant money making TV show (or comic I suppose) sustaining device to never allow 'escape', but a shame that the show never explored trying to.
Well they still could divert from the comics. Probably won't, but they could. They may have to if Rick leaves.

FTWD is having a pretty good season this year. They are not confined as much by the comics.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Well they still could divert from the comics. Probably won't, but they could. They may have to if Rick leaves.

FTWD is having a pretty good season this year. They are not confined as much by the comics.
Really enjoying FTWD this season... I like the use of the two timelines to tell the story... and you're never confused where you are since they are shot differently. And they're not afraid to kill off mains as much (though I'm assuming Morgan is the safest).

I'm thinking Daryl will just assume the Rick role from the comics if they still want to keep some of those story-lines or remix them. Yet, his character would really need to evolve and become more of a leader... which is maybe why their setting up this civil war (not sure if that's in the comics).

Reaction Score
Really enjoying FTWD this season... I like the use of the two timelines to tell the story... and you're never confused where you are since they are shot differently. And they're not afraid to kill off mains as much (though I'm assuming Morgan is the safest).

I'm thinking Daryl will just assume the Rick role from the comics if they still want to keep some of those story-lines or remix them. Yet, his character would really need to evolve and become more of a leader... which is maybe why their setting up this civil war (not sure if that's in the comics).
Daryl is not a lead as either a character or an actor, that simply won't work. I would be vaguely interested if they tabbed Carol, she is by far the most interesting character & other than recent in&out which I haven't watched closely has had a worthwhile evolution. We at least saw her backstory even though it occurred during the zombies. I could see Michonne stepping into a leadership role too and that being pretty interesting, but I don't think the writers have the depth to truly explore any of that. Hence the most warlike male wins control.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Daryl is not a lead as either a character or an actor, that simply won't work. I would be vaguely interested if they tabbed Carol, she is by far the most interesting character & other than recent in&out which I haven't watched closely has had a worthwhile evolution. We at least saw her backstory even though it occurred during the zombies. I could see Michonne stepping into a leadership role too and that being pretty interesting, but I don't think the writers have the depth to truly explore any of that. Hence the most warlike male wins control.
Soooo, Negan?

Reaction Score

But also think about how the show will age and be discussed over time. Think of how people discuss The Sopranos ending. Breaking Bad. Without some sort of conclusion or answers, the show just blends into one long walk through the woods with similar instances here or there, doesn't it?

Reaction Score
My wife and I finally watched the finale last night. It was okay. It makes the path a bit more predictable now that we know Rick is only in a handful of episodes, but I also read that Lauren Cohan got a new show somehow.

We finished the show and then went to start watching Fear the Walking Dead, which we had been DVR'ing. Turned out the first couple episodes got copied over since I limited the episodes to save. We just shrugged and deleted them all. I have no interest in watching TWD next year, but we probably will, at least occasionally.

I assume Rick (and maybe Michonne) will be exiled next season. I'd rather the two of them just say screw all of you and just walk away. I think it would be cool with the series ending in some type of typical blood bath. Then do a fly-over to wherever Rick and Michonne end up and it's a paradise with communities that have rebuilt without a "Governor" or "Negan" to ruin everything. They ask Rick if there is anything left in the south and he looks into the distance and says, "No... humanity is completely dead there."

Reaction Score
My wife and I finally watched the finale last night. It was okay. It makes the path a bit more predictable now that we know Rick is only in a handful of episodes, but I also read that Lauren Cohan got a new show somehow.

We finished the show and then went to start watching Fear the Walking Dead, which we had been DVR'ing. Turned out the first couple episodes got copied over since I limited the episodes to save. We just shrugged and deleted them all. I have no interest in watching TWD next year, but we probably will, at least occasionally.

I assume Rick (and maybe Michonne) will be exiled next season. I'd rather the two of them just say screw all of you and just walk away. I think it would be cool with the series ending in some type of typical blood bath. Then do a fly-over to wherever Rick and Michonne end up and it's a paradise with communities that have rebuilt without a "Governor" or "Negan" to ruin everything. They ask Rick if there is anything left in the south and he looks into the distance and says, "No... humanity is completely dead there."
Yeah, nice fan fiction but we know that's not happening. There's nothing to discuss about this show other than cool or gross zombies and who died when. I'd say the most comparable show that had a long popular run overcoming its inherent ridiculousness is the A-team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom