Walking Dead Season 4 | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Walking Dead Season 4

Reaction Score
Touche to your nonsensical ancient insult by comparison, Gus Fring makes The Governor and Gareth look like the head of KAOS and the Drysdales respectively.

LOL. No offense meant to Bernie Kopell, I'm sure.

Reaction Score
I think serial TV viewing has become a bit over-rated and way over emphasized. For example in How I Met Your Mother a fun comedy is ruined because of trying to tell a long-term story got in the way of creating incestuous plot-lines to keep people watching. It was a comedy, WTF?! Friends did the same stupid thing although maybe ended better after it had many un-funny final incestuous years. I love some of the heavy story shows especially Breaking Bad, True Detective and Mad Men, but occasionally enjoy a simpler escapism of Walking Dead and just need it to keep its brainless zombie head above stupid.

I agree with Dogdeacon on this one. Every time TWD tries to do a hush-toned emotional drama scene I cringe and say "nice try but you're not HBO." Like when Michonne coddle Carl and tells him that Daddy is a good man for saving their lives. Yeah, that's up there with a character being paralyzed with fear at the sight of a zombie, despite the fact that said character had 30 kills last season.

Reaction Score
I agree with Dogdeacon on this one. Every time TWD tries to do a hush-toned emotional drama scene I cringe and say "nice try but you're not HBO." Like when Michonne coddle Carl and tells him that Daddy is a good man for saving their lives. Yeah, that's up there with a character being paralyzed with fear at the sight of a zombie, despite the fact that said character had 30 kills last season.

Don't forget Darryl and Beth's heart to heart at the house they later torched. The writing and acting is horrid. The casting director needs to be fired. The actress that plays Carol is the only person who can carry an heavy scene. From Maggie's over acting and off and on American accident to Rick's poor attempts at acting (Caaaaaarrrrrrrrrrl!). Carl's attempts at acting in an emotional scene causes me to lower the volume (child actors are hit and miss as they get older, so. I don't entirely blame casting for this choice).

Reaction Score
Don't forget Darryl and Beth's heart to heart at the house they later torched. The writing and acting is horrid. The casting director needs to be fired. The actress that plays Carol is the only person who can carry an heavy scene. From Maggie's over acting and off and on American accident to Rick's poor attempts at acting (Caaaaaarrrrrrrrrrl!). Carl's attempts at acting in an emotional scene causes me to lower the volume (child actors are hit and miss as they get older, so. I don't entirely blame casting for this choice).

Yeah I guess we make exceptions for our favorites, Carol is one of mine too. It just seems they are repeating their heavy scenes a bit too often.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You insist on belittling BBad, I think mainly to prop up WDead but it is strange.
No, I liked Breaking Bad. But it's not quite on the same level as TWD, that's all.

And it seems like many of you belittle TWD to prop up Breaking Bad. It's strange. They are/were both very good. Different, but both very good.

The time flash forwards were an artistic choice that also was consistent with Meth use. It was cool looking not funny.
No, that's freaking Benny Hill. (and I agree not real funny, though it tried)

The comedy stuff would typically be subtle. Constant breakfasts for Walt Jr, Hank's wife always wore purple or darkly funny like Walt in his underwear or walking naked thru a convenience store. Clever comedy is my most apt description.
I guess your idea of clever and mine are quite different.

Touche to your nonsensical ancient insult by comparison, Gus Fring makes The Governor and Gareth look like the head of KAOS and the Drysdales respectively.
Really? Wow. Ok, well I can see where you are coming from.

the Drysdales respectively.
Who????

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I agree with Dogdeacon on this one. Every time TWD tries to do a hush-toned emotional drama scene I cringe and say "nice try but you're not HBO."
I would disagree here. I think they do a pretty good job most of the time. Granted some actors can carry it better than others. Some writers are better than others. So it doesn't come off perfect every time.

Like when Michonne coddle Carl and tells him that Daddy is a good man for saving their lives. Yeah, that's up there with a character being paralyzed with fear at the sight of a zombie, despite the fact that said character had 30 kills last season.
Not sure what you are trying to say here???

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Don't forget Darryl and Beth's heart to heart at the house they later torched.
Lot's of people thought that was really, really good.

The actress that plays Carol is the only person who can carry an heavy scene. Rick's poor attempts at acting (Caaaaaarrrrrrrrrrl!).
Melissa McBride and Andrew Lincoln do a very, very good job. Plenty of others do also, DeMunn, Wilson, Rooker.

Carl's attempts at acting in an emotional scene causes me to lower the volume (child actors are hit and miss as they get older, so. I don't entirely blame casting for this choice).
I'll agree, Chandler Riggs is not the best child actor I've ever seen, but he's not bad. I thought Brighton Sharbino did a pretty good job for her age with Lizzie.

Reaction Score
I was saying that I keep seeing characters shocked by violent killings even though they themselves do it every episode.

Carl has plenty of kills and even shot that guy from Woodbury at point blank range. I don't see why Carl would be stunned that Rick heroically saved their lives for the 10th time.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I would tend to think that watching dad tear out a guy's jugular vein with his teeth and then disembowel another guy would draw some astonishment from even the most jaded 14-year old.

Reaction Score
I would tend to think that watching dad tear out a guy's jugular vein with his teeth and then disembowel another guy would draw some astonishment from even the most jaded 14-year old.
They probably should have shown one of the adult's faces as well. I think Carl's emotive skills limited the viewers ability to really think Rick was gutting the guy. If we'd seen the gutting and been horrified ourselves, Carl's reaction would have made more sense. As viewers we were mostly thinking about the gross but mostly bad@$$ jugular biting save out of nowhere.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I was saying that I keep seeing characters shocked by violent killings even though they themselves do it every episode.

Carl has plenty of kills and even shot that guy from Woodbury at point blank range. I don't see why Carl would be stunned that Rick heroically saved their lives for the 10th time.
Well as I said before, he'd never seen his dad do anything like that to a human. He didn't see his dad kill the Nebraska guys, he didn't see him kill Tomas, he didn't see him kill Shane, he didn't see the crazed killing (of walkers) after Lori died. He didn't see his dad go cray cray on Tyreese. He didn't see his dad strangle the "Claimer" in the bathroom. We saw all of this, but Carl, the character didn't.

I agree they are all pretty numb to killing walkers. Killing living beings is different. At least for the characters. And brutally killing them is very different.

Reaction Score
While we're here I also didn't buy that the 4 of them could beat a group of marauders after they were taken by surprise and unarmed. They might as well grab a flashing star and gain 60 seconds of invincibility every time there's an armed confrontation.

Reaction Score
While we're here I also didn't buy that the 4 of them could beat a group of marauders after they were taken by surprise and unarmed. They might as well grab a flashing star and gain 60 seconds of invincibility every time there's an armed confrontation.
Rick, Carl & Daryll have 'character shields' and cannot be killed. Applied at least 3 times in that last episode; the scene you mentioned, Rick avoiding sniper and the snipers bullets all hitting the ground but never ricocheting onto Rick & Co. I'm fine with these, cannot apply too much logic to show. I merely ask they avoid blatantly dumb character decisions. Unfortunately this undermines the cliffhanger as the characters are dead in that RR car but we know they get out otherwise no show.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Rick, Carl & Daryll have 'character shields' and cannot be killed.
Yea probably pretty much. But lot's of shows/movies are like that. Very, very few main characters die. Unless they want to leave the show or there is a contract dispute.

Rick avoiding sniper and the snipers bullets all hitting the ground but never ricocheting onto Rick & Co.
Well they weren't avoiding the snipers and bullets, they were being herded. They would have had to try to get shot. And nobody ever gets hit with a ricocheting bullet in any show/movie. The only time bullets ricochet is for comic effect.

Unfortunately this undermines the cliffhanger as the characters are dead in that RR car but we know they get out otherwise no show.
Well the cliffhanger isn't necessarily that they are going to die, we as viewers haven't actually been shown what is going on at Terminus. Lots of clues, but they've also probably left some stuff out. The cliffhanger is more they're caught....."damn, we're in a tight spot". I don't know if all of them will make it out though. But yea Rick, Carl and Daryl will.

Reaction Score
Carl has a character shield? I can most certainly see him dying. He's not rational at times. He thinks he's an adult and tries to act like it, but often times just lapses back into a scared kid firing off bullets in a panic. I can definitely see something like Rick wavering on allowing him to do something...then having it result in Carl dying.

Reaction Score
"Well they weren't avoiding the snipers and bullets, they were being herded. They would have had to try to get shot. And nobody ever gets hit with a ricocheting bullet in any show/movie. The only time bullets ricochet is for comic effect. "

I thought this was foreshadowed in the earlier scene where Rick was explaining to Carl how you set the trap for the rabbit by directing and funneling them into the snare.

Reaction Score
"Well they weren't avoiding the snipers and bullets, they were being herded. They would have had to try to get shot. And nobody ever gets hit with a ricocheting bullet in any show/movie. The only time bullets ricochet is for comic effect. "

I thought this was foreshadowed in the earlier scene where Rick was explaining to Carl how you set the trap for the rabbit by directing and funneling them into the snare.
Obviously was herding, but didn't need all the gunfire & seriously would you be confident and assume zero risk when shooting within 5 feet of your future dinner?
Carl definitely has the biggest character shield, its his story I think and if they ever end it dramatically it absolutely is Carl as the John Connor savior of human race. We are DOOMED!

Reaction Score
Obviously was herding, but didn't need all the gunfire & seriously would you be confident and assume zero risk when shooting within 5 feet of your future dinner?
Carl definitely has the biggest character shield, its his story I think and if they ever end it dramatically it absolutely is Carl as the John Connor savior of human race. We are DOOMED!

Certainly agree with you on this. It's not like these were professional snipers on the rooftops. They're supposed to be "ordinary" people who you would not think would be able to aim that precisely. But I let stuff like that slide as the bad guys can never hit their targets no matter how many magazines they empty and the good guys can hit a moving target at unlimited range with a handgun.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Exactly. And postshadowed how people were being herded along the trails (railroad tracks) towards Terminus itself.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Good points. But so what?, you hit one, that's what's for dinner tonight. Not a big deal. Did you need that much gunfire???? I think they didn't want them catching on that quickly that they were being herded. So create a very chaotic situation. The more guns the merrier. ;) Besides it looks better/cooler on TV.

Carl has a character shield? I can most certainly see him dying. He's not rational at times. He thinks he's an adult and tries to act like it, but often times just lapses back into a scared kid firing off bullets in a panic. I can definitely see something like Rick wavering on allowing him to do something...then having it result in Carl dying.
Agreed Dogdeacon. Especially as long as Gimple is Showrunner. He's a real big fan of the comics pre-TV show. And I agree I think Carl could eventually take over for Rick. I could see Rick dying before Carl. Heck they could even jump it a couple years and bring in a new actor to replace Riggs if they didn't want him to carry it.

One of the problems with the show vs the comics, kids age. Riggs will be 15 this summer. In the comics, Carl is still a child-soldier....after 10-11 years.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I never considered Breaking Bad heavy???? It was a comedy to start with. (granted a black one, but still ) Then it got a bit more serious later on. But even later, they were doing some comedic stuff.

True Detective was pretty heavy all the way. (I really enjoyed that one.)

I actually watch The Walking Dead for the moral dilemmas they fall into and how the character react/interact (and I like apocalyptic shows/movies). If you are watching it for the zombies, you are missing about 75% of the show. (I realize a lot of people are into zombies which is fine, I'm not. I don't watch zombie movies, other than "Zombieland" because it was a black comedy.....and Emma Stone was in it.)

I agree though, that there are a lot of shows out there now trying to do the season premier, midseason finale, midseason premier and season finale.

I agree, but if you haven't seen Shaun of the Dead or Warm Bodies, you need to add those to the list.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

And might it be worse, when said 14 year old just narrowly avoided a full "Deliverance" experience.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I agree, but if you haven't seen Shaun of the Dead or Warm Bodies, you need to add those to the list.
Seen parts of them. They were ok. Didn't have Emma Stone in them.

Reaction Score
The Snyder Dawn of the Dead was pretty smart. The original Night of the Living Dead was classic. After that zombie flics are campy at best and often just gruesome. I have to include the Resident Evils to find ones I'd call GOOD.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
I MISS TWD & basketball season. Hoping the folks in the train at Terminus have as good of an ending as OUR season did~!
I think they need Shabazz...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom