Walking Dead Season 4 | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Walking Dead Season 4

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Gonna be a long, boring Summer. No basketball. No Walking Dead. Whatever shall we talk about???
Well we got a few days to talk about the finale......and a week or two more of basketball. Course at this rate summer won't be here til about August.

I've got plenty of stuff to follow/watch this summer. Still got FA Cup, EPL, LaLiga, Champions League til May. MLS just started. Then for the summer I've got the World Cup. One good thing about following soccer/football, somethings on pretty much 12 months a year.

Reaction Score
Ok, so how does that explain how it does not work for them? I understand how it wouldn't work for you, but how does it not work for them?

And as a side note, you can have it. :cool:
That's #1, claim something intangible and it results in a pointless debate.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That's #1, claim something intangible and it results in a pointless debate.
Ok, but they weren't claiming anything intangible. Your argument keeps stuttering.

And besides everything on here is a pointless debate. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
That's a weird thing about the show, kidnapping Beth and raping her to repopulate is somehow too dark for an apocalpyse show about death and they would risk turning off viewers with a misogynistic plot.

I definitely think Maggie ripping up her own picture was a foreshadow of her imminent demise. She also seems to be struggling on/off/deep south/none with her accent.

The claimed idea is something I'd expect my 9yr old to come up with to dominate his younger siblings but then within an hour they'd poke a million holes in it. Do I really have to delve into the ways it doesn't work?

Agree on Maggie. It's been 30 years but maybe we should spoiler mark the ending to the original Terminator.

Reaction Score
I gave this show one more season after a horrible season 3. This season was more of the same. Bad acting, bad writing.

Great first two seasons, though.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I gave this show one more season after a horrible season 3. This season was more of the same. Bad acting, bad writing.

Great first two seasons, though.
Completely disagree. This season was much better than last season. Much, much better. Much better acting, much better writing.

I did like Season 2, although many people did not. At least the front end part.

I suggest you find another show to watch.

Reaction Score
meyers7 said:
Completely disagree. This season was much better than last season. Much, much better. Much better acting, much better writing.

I did like Season 2, although many people did not. At least the front end part.

I suggest you find another show to watch.

That is what I was saying in my post. I am done with the show. I have seen better acting on Charles In Charge episodes. Watching Caaaaaaaaarl's scene with Michone was painful.

Reaction Score
That is what I was saying in my post. I am done with the show. I have seen better acting on Charles In Charge episodes. Watching Caaaaaaaaarl's scene with Michone was painful.
I agree that one scene was somewhat painful, but I think this season overall was MUCH better than recent others primarily because of better writing. Occasionally the characters/actors couldn't pull it off (Rick & Daryll were a little too stoic to 100% sell the brother scene) but they FINALLY filled in the inner lives for most of the characters this year. Only thing I didn't like about that last episode was Carl's psychological horror over his Dad being a ruthless killer (ok maybe a little too much farming retrospective too ;) ). For Carl I don't think that seeing the walker inside your father would trump your Dad saving your for getting gang raped and killed, but that's just me. Great final episode, good mystery evil with Terminus - very good season.

The cliffhanger is good, but truly they are going to really have to do their work to write almost the entire cast out of that railroad car. 99/100 scenarios the show is over and they are dinner.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Only thing I didn't like about that last episode was Carl's psychological horror over his Dad being a ruthless killer (ok maybe a little too much farming retrospective too ;) ). For Carl I don't think that seeing the walker inside your father would trump your Dad saving your for getting gang raped and killed, but that's just me.
Well it wasn't the horror of seeing his dad as a ruthless killer. It was knowing he has those same tendencies and that's not what he thinks his dad wants of him. That's why Michonne had that talk with him about we all are monsters sometimes. Have to be to survive. And he said basically that he wasn't afraid of his dad, but afraid of disappointing his dad.

The cliffhanger is good, but truly they are going to really have to do their work to write almost the entire cast out of that railroad car. 99/100 scenarios the show is over and they are dinner.
Well they still have, possibly, Tyreese and Carol on the outside, along with a cache of weapons. I suppose, somehow that will play into it. Too bad they don't have a usable tank....somewhere. :rolleyes:

I can't see it going too many episodes either. I mean they either escape or get eaten. How long can they have them sitting in a railroad car?? I suppose they could do an episode on how Tyreese and Carol show up. But 1 or 2 episodes, maybe 3 if they really drag it out?? Well maybe throw in a Beth episode, so by 5/4 things gotta be figured out at Terminus.

Now they could escape and be chased by Gareth and Co. That could last the front end of next season. I didn't think thing would turn bad quite this fast. Thought they might drag it out a bit.

But that's ok, the main thing last night was Rick turning. Actually for the season.

Reaction Score
Well it wasn't the horror of seeing his dad as a ruthless killer. It was knowing he has those same tendencies and that's not what he thinks his dad wants of him. That's why Michonne had that talk with him about we all are monsters sometimes. Have to be to survive. And he said basically that he wasn't afraid of his dad, but afraid of disappointing his dad.

Well they still have, possibly, Tyreese and Carol on the outside, along with a cache of weapons. I suppose, somehow that will play into it. Too bad they don't have a usable tank....somewhere. :rolleyes:

I can't see it going too many episodes either. I mean they either escape or get eaten. How long can they have them sitting in a railroad car?? I suppose they could do an episode on how Tyreese and Carol show up. But 1 or 2 episodes, maybe 3 if they really drag it out?? Well maybe throw in a Beth episode, so by 5/4 things gotta be figured out at Terminus.

Now they could escape and be chased by Gareth and Co. That could last the front end of next season. I didn't think thing would turn bad quite this fast. Thought they might drag it out a bit.

But that's ok, the main thing last night was Rick turning. Actually for the season.
I thought the episode was great, but in terms of tying up the Ricktatorship theme of the last 2-3 seasons or whatever or maybe even the entire show, my response is "ehh" and FINALLY. Rick is the leader, he needed to overthrow Shane, needs to be decisive, ruthless and humane at same time. These aren't great mysteries that should take so long to figure out.
Nonetheless I did like the way it occurred last night in that Rick needed to do the most gruesome and Zombie like thing ever to survive. For me, he fully embraced that fact and kinda said 'duh' that's why I'm alive and that why my family is alive. Then this realization gave him the confidence to know he'll keep fighting past whatever his opponent expects.
Prior seasons/episodes actions seemed to use indecision & stupidity to create plot & conflict and to stall progress. I.e. happens because our characters refuse to take the blatantly obviously necessary actions. That seems to be over with Carol putting Lizzie down in one episode as another example.

P.S. Last night's episode was directed by longtime BBad directing contributor Michelle McLaren, nice to see that cross pollination.
PPS BBad episode that was my first & pulled me all-in had Walt & Jessee trapped in a remarkably similar situation with the cops outside and Walt thought his way out of it. Big challenge for Walking Dead to pull that same rabbit out of the hat unscathed.

Reaction Score
I really liked the last few shows including the season finale. Granted, still can not stand Carl but it is what it is.

No clue what Terminus is but looking forward to finding out...

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
No clue what Terminus is but looking forward to finding out...
They're cannibals. It was fairly obvious from the dialogue and cooking scenes, and then of course they have to blatantly confirm it by showing all the human skulls and bones during the shootout (because forbid the show actually leave anything to the imagination of their viewers...)

I probably won't bother watching season 5. Seasons 3 and 4 were pretty terrible and the show's brain trust hasn't showed any signs that season 5 won't be another stinker.

p.s.
If Rick's cornball last line of season 4 is my final interaction with the show, then that's only fitting. Such a tremendous combination of abysmal writing delivered by dreadful acting.

Reaction Score

I think understand the theme but I have to ask how many times Carl can still be shocked. He's been immersed in violence all this time.

Reaction Score
I feel like I'm invested in the show and enjoy certain pieces of it (Lizzie killing Mikah, when they cut Hershel's leg off, Laurie dying, the CDC episodes, the opening of the Barn doors) and I really don't enjoy a lot of other pieces (The Governor/Woodbury, some of the terrible soap opera acting, stupid plot directions). To me? Terminus is just another stupid offshoot. Why would you create this horrific death trap for other surviving humans in the middle of a nightmare apocalypse? With the candles and writing on the walls? Ugh. They can't get out of there quick enough for me.

Let's push the story forward. Most series only have a shelf life of 7-8 seasons tops. Let's get moving towards how this thing wraps up.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think understand the theme but I have to ask how many times Carl can still be shocked. He's been immersed in violence all this time.
He's still at a pretty impressionable age. He hadn't seen his dad kill Shane or the Nebraska guys, or beat Tyreese, or goes nuts on the walkers after Lori died. This was his first look at his dad crossing over. On top of that he was just almost raped. That ought to about stun anyone, at any age.

And if you can't be shocked you're pretty much completely numb. We've seen Rick pretty much numb, and people complained about it. And I still think they can/or try to differentiate between killing walkers and the living.

The real question is probably how often can the TV audience be shocked? Either with gore or plot twists or character offings. When they can't anymore, the show's over. Or at least Jumped the Shark. I imagine it will hang on for awhile. It's a huge money maker for AMC. The audience is huge. You're talking 2-3 times the size of Breaking Bad. 3-4 times the size of Game of Thrones. Heck, Talking Dead out draws Game of Thrones (granted it has a really good lead-in ;)). And the audience has grown by 2-3 million every season. It usually ranks in the top 10 of Network shows. It's probably gonna be around awhile.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
They're cannibals. It was fairly obvious from the dialogue and cooking scenes, and then of course they have to blatantly confirm it by showing all the human skulls and bones during the shootout (because forbid the show actually leave anything to the imagination of their viewers...)
Well as has been shown in this thread, a lot of viewers can't really follow along very well. A lot of people have to have stuff spelled out for them. They do leave out a lot of stuff for the viewers to imagine, or just assume, and people complain about that.

I think people in general like to complain. But yea, they are cannibals. But as you can see (and I've read in many comments in many articles) lots of people still didn't get it.

I probably won't bother watching season 5. Seasons 3 and 4 were pretty terrible and the show's brain trust hasn't showed any signs that season 5 won't be another stinker.

p.s.
If Rick's cornball last line of season 4 is my final interaction with the show, then that's only fitting. Such a tremendous combination of abysmal writing delivered by dreadful acting.
Well you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

Just in case. Although I know you don't like things spelled out. :rolleyes:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
To me? Terminus is just another stupid offshoot. Why would you create this horrific death trap for other surviving humans in the middle of a nightmare apocalypse?
Well it's much easier, and safer to have your food supply come to you than going out to find it.

With the candles and writing on the walls? Ugh.
I imagine, this is a bit cult like. Jim Jonesish. They even have a creepy Gareth as a leader.

They can't get out of there quick enough for me.
I imagine Rick and Co. are thinking the same thing. No doubt they will, well maybe not all of them.

Let's push the story forward.
Well that's what they just did. People were tired of them being in the prison, so they got them out of there and on the road. You can't have them on the road all the time, that would get tedious too. They got to be going someplace. They just arrived at Terminus. I imagine they will be there for a little bit. Probably not too long though. They are either going to get eaten or escape. Don't think it will take too long to do one or the other. Maybe able to get 3-4 episodes out of this?? I've read that Gareth is not the "main" villain of Season 5???

Most series only have a shelf life of 7-8 seasons tops. Let's get moving towards how this thing wraps up.
Yea, well, there ain't really any wrap up to this. The source material is still being written. And they have 10+ years of it to start with. And on top of that there is also a video game that has different characters. They may pull some stuff from that too. The video game is centered around Macon, GA. They have already talked about Macon in the TV series (Michonne was gonna look for the Governor there at one point).

And it was announced that they are going to go ahead with a "companion" TV series. Not really a spinoff since supposedly there won't be characters from The Walking Dead series in it. Different people, different place. LOL, they could do it in England with American actors doing British accents. :D

Reaction Score
I feel like I'm invested in the show and enjoy certain pieces of it (Lizzie killing Mikah, when they cut Hershel's leg off, Laurie dying, the CDC episodes, the opening of the Barn doors) and I really don't enjoy a lot of other pieces (The Governor/Woodbury, some of the terrible soap opera acting, stupid plot directions). To me? Terminus is just another stupid offshoot. Why would you create this horrific death trap for other surviving humans in the middle of a nightmare apocalypse? With the candles and writing on the walls? Ugh. They can't get out of there quick enough for me.

Let's push the story forward. Most series only have a shelf life of 7-8 seasons tops. Let's get moving towards how this thing wraps up.
I dunno, if food is scarce particularly meat, I think cannibalism would be pretty prevalent in the 'after the initial apocalypse' period before things stabilize. ON meat you gotta figure if the zombies are catching humans, all of the big livestock is history plus some weird breakdown in food chain. And humans are hostile & defensive so either you are taking from someone else or defending from random lawless invaders.

I absolutely do NOT expect any conclusion or point from this story and think you'll be disappointed to expect that. This is Bruce Banner roaming the earth, he must always leave and the Hulk will always haunt him. I'm not a comic reader but those readers and the creator maintain this is an endless purgatory of horror. I'm not expecting science out of zombie acts or zombie plague creation and it has to stay a mystery both to be horrifying and b/c zombies are impossible. Likewise them finding Shangra La Dee Da Valley would be boring. If one of the characters drops out to live in an oasis, I'd rather Rick & Co. stay on the road killing zombies and bad guys to keep themselves or Shangri La safe.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I dunno, if food is scarce particularly meat, I think cannibalism would be pretty prevalent in the 'after the initial apocalypse' period before things stabilize. ON meat you gotta figure if the zombies are catching humans, all of the big livestock is history plus some weird breakdown in food chain. And humans are hostile & defensive so either you are taking from someone else or defending from random lawless invaders.

I absolutely do NOT expect any conclusion or point from this story and think you'll be disappointed to expect that. This is Bruce Banner roaming the earth, he must always leave and the Hulk will always haunt him. I'm not a comic reader but those readers and the creator maintain this is an endless purgatory of horror. I'm not expecting science out of zombie acts or zombie plague creation and it has to stay a mystery both to be horrifying and b/c zombies are impossible. Likewise them finding Shangra La Dee Da Valley would be boring. If one of the characters drops out to live in an oasis, I'd rather Rick & Co. stay on the road killing zombies and bad guys to keep themselves or Shangri La safe.

If that truly seems to be the case, I think I'm gonna end up cutting the cord soon. I'm not watching this to see which wacky monster dictator they'll encounter next. I'd like to see some sort of finality or set of answers to this whole mess and I'm certainly not waiting around through 10 years of Carl eating pudding to get there.

Reaction Score
I think serial TV viewing has become a bit over-rated and way over emphasized. For example in How I Met Your Mother a fun comedy is ruined because of trying to tell a long-term story got in the way of creating incestuous plot-lines to keep people watching. It was a comedy, WTF?! Friends did the same stupid thing although maybe ended better after it had many un-funny final incestuous years. I love some of the heavy story shows especially Breaking Bad, True Detective and Mad Men, but occasionally enjoy a simpler escapism of Walking Dead and just need it to keep its brainless zombie head above stupid.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think serial TV viewing has become a bit over-rated and way over emphasized. For example in How I Met Your Mother a fun comedy is ruined because of trying to tell a long-term story got in the way of creating incestuous plot-lines to keep people watching. It was a comedy, WTF?! Friends did the same stupid thing although maybe ended better after it had many un-funny final incestuous years. I love some of the heavy story shows especially Breaking Bad, True Detective and Mad Men, but occasionally enjoy a simpler escapism of Walking Dead and just need it to keep its brainless zombie head above stupid.
I never considered Breaking Bad heavy???? It was a comedy to start with. (granted a black one, but still ) Then it got a bit more serious later on. But even later, they were doing some comedic stuff.

True Detective was pretty heavy all the way. (I really enjoyed that one.)

I actually watch The Walking Dead for the moral dilemmas they fall into and how the character react/interact (and I like apocalyptic shows/movies). If you are watching it for the zombies, you are missing about 75% of the show. (I realize a lot of people are into zombies which is fine, I'm not. I don't watch zombie movies, other than "Zombieland" because it was a black comedy.....and Emma Stone was in it.)

I agree though, that there are a lot of shows out there now trying to do the season premier, midseason finale, midseason premier and season finale.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If that truly seems to be the case, I think I'm gonna end up cutting the cord soon. I'm not watching this to see which wacky monster dictator they'll encounter next. I'd like to see some sort of finality or set of answers to this whole mess and I'm certainly not waiting around through 10 years of Carl eating pudding to get there.
Yea, then you might as well dump it now. You're not getting any answers to anything. How it started, how it ends (it won't, there won't be a cure), anything like that. They are not ever going to find a safe place to settle forever. When this does end (it has to someday), the hero (whether it's still Rick or somebody else) will either die, or they'll just walk off down the road looking for the next place to hole up for awhile.

Reaction Score
I never considered Breaking Bad heavy???? It was a comedy to start with. (granted a black one, but still ) Then it got a bit more serious later on. But even later, they were doing some comedic stuff.
Heavy story = story primary mission. Both BBad and MMen have a lot of comedy intermingled with drama. I haven't finished True Detective but my favorite parts are the two leads dryly comic exasperation with each other.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Heavy story = story primary mission. Both BBad and MMen have a lot of comedy intermingled with drama. I haven't finished True Detective but my favorite parts are the two leads dryly comic exasperation with each other.
Well yea, but Breaking Bad actually was more comedic than just the characters being funny on occasion, interacting. Walking Dead has some of that (not much). Breaking Bad did the goofy fast time stuff (Benny Hill stuff). But that first season was pretty funny as a straight comedy. Not sure if they meant it that way, as a way to show change in Walter, or if after the show caught on, they decided they needed to tighten it up (dramatic it up)??? Not sure.

Never seen Mad Men. No interest there.

Reaction Score
Well yea, but Breaking Bad actually was more comedic than just the characters being funny on occasion, interacting. Walking Dead has some of that (not much). Breaking Bad did the goofy fast time stuff (Benny Hill stuff). But that first season was pretty funny as a straight comedy. Not sure if they meant it that way, as a way to show change in Walter, or if after the show caught on, they decided they needed to tighten it up (dramatic it up)??? Not sure.
You insist on belittling BBad, I think mainly to prop up WDead but it is strange. The time flash forwards were an artistic choice that also was consistent with Meth use. It was cool looking not funny. The comedy stuff would typically be subtle. Constant breakfasts for Walt Jr, Hank's wife always wore purple or darkly funny like Walt in his underwear or walking naked thru a convenience store. Clever comedy is my most apt description. Best might have been Mike Ehmentrout who along with Gus Fring was a great character on the show and would deliver awesome straight-lines when he was totally exasperated with "Walter".

Touche to your nonsensical ancient insult by comparison, Gus Fring makes The Governor and Gareth look like the head of KAOS and the Drysdales respectively.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom