Walker in WNBA | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Walker in WNBA

Reaction Score
Well, I use Megan only as an example of athletes who leave early. The men’s one and done in BB is especially irksome. College football players who leave a year early for what may be a questionable NFL future. I think you honor contracts and a scholarship is a contract. That’s the discussion.
Not true. The college can revoke the scholarship at any time; the player has the same right.

Reaction Score
Okay, so you're arbitrarily moving the goalposts all over the place now.

Your original statement was, "I really don't understand the women leaving early for their small contracts." You clearly made contract size the issue, not talent level or location of play.

Now you're presented with an estimate of how much Megan will likely make within her first 12 months as a pro, and then you try to change the topic entirely and invoke some strange bias against overseas leagues.

Here was Megan's choice vis-a-vis "size of contracts":

Choice A: Stay at UConn for senior season. Make no money until 2021 WNBA season.
Choice B. Go pro. Make 200-300k by the time she would have finished her senior season.
Megan left college for the WNBA draft
That is what she said and that is what I talked about. No I didn't change nothing. I talked about WNBA. I never mentioned overseas. Which is even minor leagues for the better Div 1 schools.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well considering she actually got to play this year (in the WNBA) and we are not for certain that the NCAA will actually play at all this year, she got a year of WNBA experience in under her belt vs. who knows what. Probably a good choice.

Reaction Score
You could be on either side of this debate and have facts to back up your position. I believe this year's team will be better than last's and Megan's would have had to share the ball more and her stats would have gone down. Would have been tough to increase her draft position + always the concern about being hurt. Would have liked to have seen her stay for this year but not concerned that she left.

Reaction Score
We are now seeing the first real generation where the WNBA was always an option and one that most top players have as a goal. Walker isn't the first and will not be the last as I expect more players will take the option to leave in the coming years.

The WNBA pays pennies compared to the riches of other professional sports but when a rookie WNBA salary is compared to one for most first year college graduates it doesn't look so bad.

She made her decision and the 2020-21 version of UConn is stacked but there is still some doubt as to how the season will play out if it happens at all.

Reaction Score
I have so many thoughts on this. First and foremost, I love Megan, was thrilled when she chose Uconn, and I enjoyed watching her for three years. After her "disappointing" freshman season there was a lot of chatter about her transferring but to her credit she she stuck it out. Lord knows her life would probably have been "easier" somewhere else.

I know a lot of us have this feeling that her time at UConn was a "disappointment, didn't live up to the hype" and "didn't work out the way anyone had planned" BUT... we need to remember that Megan was a First-Team All American as a JUNIOR. That is a pretty special accomplishment in and of itself, and add to that she was undersized and playing out of position due to Uconn's lack of recruiting talented size. Megan will be on the wall with the rest of the UConn legends.

As for the WNBA, a quick look at her stats shows she had minimal minutes and shot abysmally (6-43 from three or 14%, ouch!). Not good by any standard. For me the minutes are the most surprising considering how depleted the Liberty roster is. I wonder how much better Megan's stats would look with a true alpha like Ionescu on the floor to (a) draw attention away from Megan and (b) deliver great passes to Megan in her comfort spots so she could just catch and shoot. Megan showed at UConn that she is a great 3-point shooter.

So TLDR, I'd say cut the kid some slack. She gave her all at UConn and owes us nothing as fans for grabbing her dream when it was available to be grabbed. Her rookie season in the W was forgettable, but there are just so many extenuating circumstances (COVID, bubble, depleted roster, adjustment to a faster game against bigger players, etc.) that make it impossible to get a true gauge of the future. The talent and willingness to work hard are there. Let's see how she does and always support her as one of our own.

Reaction Score
Look, folks, I only used Megan as an example. She may have been unhappy at UConn. Well, okay. We can argue if this is a problem at UConn or with Megan. I hope everything works out for her. I do know UConn turns out quality women. The problem may be with the stress of college sports.

But I am looking at a different angle. Is college an avenue to an education or just a bump on the road to a professional career? Already we are talking about Paige’s future in the WNBA. That is absolutely ridiculous. I stopped paying attention to mens college basketball with one and done. I realize that free agency was vitally important to professional athletes but while supporting it, it did ruin baseball, for example, to me. I grew up a Yankee fan, Denver Bears then being a Yankee triple A club. I knew the lineup year in and year out. They were my players, my team. That no longer exists. Today’s Yankee star or Cincy Star is next year’s Dodger. I understand, I understand. Still...

I have been a lifetime Denver Broncos fan. In 1960, the year the Broncos came into existence, the team came to my small hometown to “practice” with the high school team on which I played. Even then I knew it was a public relations gambit. The Broncos went on to play in many Super Bowls, the true America’s team (or, at least, the America’s west team, just see how many orange jerseys are in the stands for home Cardinals or Chargers games.) Then look at the last Denver Super Bowl win. Within two years only five of those championship players were still on the roster. My love for the Broncos diminishes.

I wish all the best to Megan. Absolutely. It may well have been the best decision for both her and UConn. But...

Reaction Score
Look, folks, I only used Megan as an example. She may have been unhappy at UConn. Well, okay. We can argue if this is a problem at UConn or with Megan. I hope everything works out for her. I do know UConn turns out quality women. The problem may be with the stress of college sports.

But I am looking at a different angle. Is college an avenue to an education or just a bump on the road to a professional career? Already we are talking about Paige’s future in the WNBA. That is absolutely ridiculous. I stopped paying attention to mens college basketball with one and done. I realize that free agency was vitally important to professional athletes but while supporting it, it did ruin baseball, for example, to me. I grew up a Yankee fan, Denver Bears then being a Yankee triple A club. I knew the lineup year in and year out. They were my players, my team. That no longer exists. Today’s Yankee star or Cincy Star is next year’s Dodger. I understand, I understand. Still...

I have been a lifetime Denver Broncos fan. In 1960, the year the Broncos came into existence, the team came to my small hometown to “practice” with the high school team on which I played. Even then I knew it was a public relations gambit. The Broncos went on to play in many Super Bowls, the true America’s team (or, at least, the America’s west team, just see how many orange jerseys are in the stands for home Cardinals or Chargers games.) Then look at the last Denver Super Bowl win. Within two years only five of those championship players were still on the roster. My love for the Broncos diminishes.

I wish all the best to Megan. Absolutely. It may well have been the best decision for both her and UConn. But...
For top rated players it's a bump on the road to a professional career. They don't come here to play school. It's simply a means to an end.

Reaction Score
Look, folks, I only used Megan as an example. ... But I am looking at a different angle. Is college an avenue to an education or just a bump on the road to a professional career? Already we are talking about Paige’s future in the WNBA. That is absolutely ridiculous. I stopped paying attention to mens college basketball with one and done. I realize that free agency was vitally important to professional athletes but while supporting it, it did ruin baseball, for example, to me. I grew up a Yankee fan, Denver Bears then being a Yankee triple A club. I knew the lineup year in and year out. They were my players, my team. That no longer exists. Today’s Yankee star or Cincy Star is next year’s Dodger. I understand, I understand. Still...

It’s both - I don’t see the difference. Megan’s career goal was clearly to play basketball professionally. Her high school performance & ranking (athletic equivalent of GPA & SAT’s) were good enough to get her into the best college for her career goals. Her performance as a college junior resulted in her being awarded AA status - a distinction limited to only 10 college students in her field in the whole country, and definitely enough to get her drafted in the first round.

College goals accomplished, so why wait around another year? Risk a career-ending injury?

Reaction Score
It’s both - I don’t see the difference. Megan’s career goal was clearly to play basketball professionally. Her high school performance & ranking (athletic equivalent of GPA & SAT’s) were good enough to get her into the best college for her career goals. Her performance as a college junior resulted in her being awarded AA status - a distinction limited to only 10 college students in her field in the whole country, and definitely enough to get her drafted in the first round.

College goals accomplished, so why wait around another year? Risk a career-ending injury?
Morgan is a good example, still young, talented but at the end of the bench. Her injuries have shortened her career.

Reaction Score
Her game wasnt ready for the WNBA, as many of us had pointed out. She cant even get playing time with Sabrina hurt. Her Uconn stats were inflated by beating up on weak teams and struggling against good competition. She would have benefited for staying another year against better competition, but she seemed to opt for the money which is perfectly fine. Hope the best for her. But, she is an warning example of what could happen if you leave early.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Okay, so how many WCBB have gone pro when they had remaining eligibility? Loyd and Young from Notre Dame seem to be doing fine. I think Candace Parker and Morgan Tuck both passed up an opportunity for a redshirt Sr. season of college. Tuck was already fairly busted up physically, staying in college another year wouldn't have benefited her any. Parker obviously has done fine. I'm sure I'm missing some. For the most part though it doesn't appear to me that opting to leave early is hurting players. Oh, Sabally is another. She had a promising rookie campaign, other than injuries.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Her game wasnt ready for the WNBA, as many of us had pointed out. She cant even get playing time with Sabrina hurt. Her Uconn stats were inflated by beating up on weak teams and struggling against good competition. She would have benefited for staying another year against better competition, but she seemed to opt for the money which is perfectly fine. Hope the best for her. But, she is an warning example of what could happen if you leave early.
A warning example?

"CAUTION! If you leave early, you might find yourself in the terrible position of making $16,000 per month in your first 4 months as a pro, with the likelihood of making an additional 6 figures in your next 8 months after that, when instead you could be sitting around broke and wondering whether your senior season of NCAA ball will even happen due to covid. Wouldn't that just be awful?!"

Just because she didn't play a lot of minutes as a rookie doesn't mean she made the wrong decision for herself. Was she wrong to choose UConn just because she hardly played her freshman year?

Reaction Score
Lost in the conversation on merits (financial vs ambition vs happiness), is the loss of a year of the college experience, idyllic, once-in-a-lifetime (academic stress notwithstanding).

Transitioning sport from learning & growth, playing for the love of the game (for most) to professional, pay-for-performance. Especially for the women's side, thought it is seems to have begun a slow transition to that aspect of the men's game, the minimum course requirements, notwithstanding.

The experience of being on a college campus 24x7, always in close proximity to friends, meals, social, all of it, may well be among the most memorable of some folks' lives. The life of a professional often times, quite solitary in comparison.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So here's my $.02 FWIW.

First, I do not begrudge Walker doing whatever she feels is in her best interest. She's now a college graduate who gave 3 years of her life to UCONN. I'm sure she got as much in return as she gave. She's a Husky Of Honor - a lifetime achievement that gets her up on THE Wall. Kudos to her.

Now. My 2nd point. Do I wish she'd stayed? On paper of course. Imagine a core 4 of starters of Christyn, Anna, Megan and Olivia. I think there is almost zero debate that those 4 would have definitely started. Makes for a stronger team on paper with relying only on either Evina, 1 sophomore (Griffin), or one of the freshman as the 5th starter.

But now with no Megan, IMHO 3 guaranteed starters, 1 very likely starter in Evina, and the 5th will come from Aubrey, Paige, or Aaliyah.

Regardless, on paper more question marks than if Megan had stayed.

BUT... Last season it did not seem to me that Megan coexisted well with Christyn. They rarely had a great game both at the same time, and more often than not, it seemed like Christyn was out of sorts and struggling (not having anywhere near the sophomore leap we expected). BTW I am NOT saying there were any chemistry issues. It just seemed like Christyn was not meshing well.

No idea why that was the case. We could spend a whole different thread discussing why, and probably never get the answer exactly right. But my rambling point is, with no Megan, this team now belongs to Evina, Christyn and Olivia. I think this team has the potential to be even better than if Megan came back. Which team would have been better? We will never know.

As a UCONN fan, on paper, I wish Megan had come back. But my gut tells me this is going to be a special team that oddly (and maybe surprisingly), may end up better, even after the departure of their All-American. We will see, but I'm super excited to see this team play. Oh, and I wish Megan all the success in the world as she continues her pro career.

Reaction Score
Definitely missed a big opportunity to really build her brand and popularity that could’ve got her more money in the future. With Paige coming in believe it or not all eyes will be on UConn like we’ve never seen before (the kids really really really love her) and just with the season Megan could’ve had her senior year her name could have been big in the basketball world. She could’ve been 2021 #1 pick and best player in College basketball player and got everything Sabrina got her senior year but now she will just be a player that is on Sabrina’s team.

Women players unfortunately have to build there brand in college and now some are doing it high school (thanks social media) because the moment the WNBA still has a problem getting people interested in the game.

Reaction Score
While players are the game, each is an individual who is free to make life decisions only she can judge are right for her. As fans it is best for us merely to wish them well as I did Megan.

While there are many sides to being a basketball fan, after almost 70 years of first playing and then watching, what's most important to me is the beauty, skill, and athleticism of the game and the discovery, development, maturing, and aging of talent.

Judgements based on those factors are more than acceptable; they are the essence of being a fan whether on the micro level (Was that a good shot, a wise pass, a smart coaching move?) or on a broader plane (Was that a good trade, Will she help that team, Is she ready for the next level or is it better to wait?) There is nothing personal about such judgements. Making them is what we fans do, and it is for the good of the players and the game

In recent years, there have been two players in particular who I think would have benefited from a talent-development perspective if they had waited another year. After two struggling learning years, Megan was finally finding her game and confidence. I think she needed another. The other, a more compelling case, is Azure. I think bigs have the hardest transition since there is nothing special about being a big in the WNBA as her performance has shown. I think her development suffered significantly because she tried to transition to the WNBA rather than from the "sixth man" to a starter at UCONN under Geno. Yes, I think it probably cost us a title, but it cost her too, and basketball is poorer because of it.

Reaction Score
Definitely missed a big opportunity to really build her brand and popularity that could’ve got her more money in the future. With Paige coming in believe it or not all eyes will be on UConn like we’ve never seen before (the kids really really really love her) and just with the season Megan could’ve had her senior year her name could have been big in the basketball world. She could’ve been 2021 #1 pick and best player in College basketball player and got everything Sabrina got her senior year but now she will just be a player that is on Sabrina’s team.

Women players unfortunately have to build there brand in college and now some are doing it high school (thanks social media) because the moment the WNBA still has a problem getting people interested in the game.
What exactly do you think she was going to do in this final season that she was unable to do in her first three? I think Geno has said by the time you're an upperclassman, you are what you are, or something to that effect. Six more months in the UConn program wasn't going to change anything from a skills or branding perspective. I think Plebe nailed it. She left early, I'd wager with degree in hand, and will earn more than 99% of her non-basketball playing cohort between the WNBA and overseas contracts. Or she could have stayed for her last season, possibly never actually getting to play, just to make fans feel better. When was the last time you sacrificed your professional career to make fans happy?

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
What exactly do you think she was going to do in this final season that she was unable to do in her first three? I think Geno has said by the time you're an upperclassman, you are what you are, or something to that effect. Six more months in the UConn program wasn't going to change anything from a skills or branding perspective. I think Plebe nailed it. She left early, I'd wager with degree in hand, and will earn more than 99% of her non-basketball playing cohort between the WNBA and overseas contracts. Or she could have stayed for her last season, possibly never actually getting to play, just to make fans feel better. When was the last time you sacrificed your professional career to make fans happy?

Unless she finished in summer session while dealing with Covid and the Wubble, she hasn’t finished her degree yet.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Unless she finished in summer session while dealing with Covid and the Wubble, she hasn’t finished her degree yet.

I hear classes are now being offered online.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I hear classes are now being offered online.

Obviously.

I’m just saying there was a lot going on for her this summer, and as of May commencement, she hadn’t finished.

Reaction Score
Obviously.

I’m just saying there was a lot going on for her this summer, and as of May commencement, she hadn’t finished.
How do you know she didn't finish? Unless you personally contacted the registrar for a degree verification, there's no real way to know unless she said so herself. It's not unusual for student-athletes to complete their degrees in under four years which is why I made my comment because I'd hope she wouldn't leave a degree on the table after being that close and having it paid for.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom