Walker in WNBA | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Walker in WNBA

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
How do you know she didn't finish? Unless you personally contacted the registrar for a degree verification, there's no real way to know unless she said so herself. It's not unusual for student-athletes to complete their degrees in under four years which is why I made my comment because I'd hope she wouldn't leave a degree on the table after being that close and having it paid for.

Because the graduates are listed on UConn’s website...

Reaction Score
Because the graduates are listed on UConn’s website...
I'm not really sure that's all that official. For example an employer certainly wouldn't go by that. The only way to know for sure is through the registrar's office, and they will just send you to the NSC website anyway that companies use to ensure applicants have the degree they say they have.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I'm not really sure that's all that official. For example an employer certainly wouldn't go by that. The only way to know for sure is through the registrar's office, and they will just send you to the NSC website anyway that companies use to ensure applicants have the degree they say they have.

lol. Okay. Megan graduated and wasn’t included on the commencement lists like her five other graduating teammates.

Pardon my ignorance.

Reaction Score
I just feel like her departure was premature from a development standpoint. She had one good season after two rather forgettable ones, and mainly achieved success against the lesser AAC competition. Yes, she was an AA as a junior, but against the top teams we played, she struggled and shot 5-20, 5-11, and 3-16. It shouldn't be a surprise that her WNBA shooting was woeful, as she never really excelled against the better college teams.

I respect her decision and hope that the early exposure to the W will help her adapt and excel. But its hard for me to look at the potential 2021 draft and not wonder if after another AA season, she would have been a lottery or potential top overall pick. She was primed for a big senior year.

Reaction Score
I just feel like her departure was premature from a development standpoint. She had one good season after two rather forgettable ones, and mainly achieved success against the lesser AAC competition. Yes, she was an AA as a junior, but against the top teams we played, she struggled and shot 5-20, 5-11, and 3-16. It shouldn't be a surprise that her WNBA shooting was woeful, as she never really excelled against the better college teams.

I respect her decision and hope that the early exposure to the W will help her adapt and excel. But its hard for me to look at the potential 2021 draft and not wonder if after another AA season, she would have been a lottery or potential top overall pick. She was primed for a big senior year.
She was drafted in the top 10. How much more was she going to move up, and how much more money would she have earned by being in the top 5? If she were still at UConn, would she play this season and not get injured, and the bigger question, how much was Geno going to pay her?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't think I've ever seen her actually happy at UConn. She set her expectations too high. There was talk that she could be the next Maya Moore, and she said she wanted to be as good if not better than her. A lot of people thought she would be that talented. Obviously how things played out,she wasn't Maya. But I think that's fine, I just don't think she thought it was.
Did "she" Megan set her expectations too high or did "we" (some of us anyway) set them too high?
There were plenty of people warning that the Maya comparisons were ridiculous impossible to achieve.
FYI we ( some of us anyway) are doing it again.

Reaction Score
She was drafted in the top 10. How much more was she going to move up, and how much more money would she have earned by being in the top 5? If she were still at UConn, would she play this season and not get injured, and the bigger question, how much was Geno going to pay her?

I think she could have been top 3. Its a weaker draft class on paper and I think she would've been in the POY conversation. All speculation of course, especially given COVID.

The WNBA pays pennies on the dollar compared to lucrative overseas contracts. What type of contract is she going to be offered given her production this season? Top draft picks are usually first in line for endorsements. Being a late first round pick didn't create any hype around her brand, and her play didn't either. Would she have been able to secure an endorsement deal as say the #1 pick?

For me, my original statement was strictly thinking about basketball development. I think she could have benefited from another season with Geno. Would that have led to financial opportunities as well? Nobody knows for certain. She made the best decision for her, and I'll be rooting for her in the W, along with all of the other uconn alums.

Reaction Score
I think she could have been top 3. Its a weaker draft class on paper and I think she would've been in the POY conversation. All speculation of course, especially given COVID.

The WNBA pays pennies on the dollar compared to lucrative overseas contracts. What type of contract is she going to be offered given her production this season? Top draft picks are usually first in line for endorsements. Being a late first round pick didn't create any hype around her brand, and her play didn't either. Would she have been able to secure an endorsement deal as say the #1 pick?

For me, my original statement was strictly thinking about basketball development. I think she could have benefited from another season with Geno. Would that have led to financial opportunities as well? Nobody knows for certain. She made the best decision for her, and I'll be rooting for her in the W, along with all of the other uconn alums.

I don't know what her contract is, but she has already signed. Her performance in the W did not effect her signing.

Reaction Score
She looks right at home in Sopron's trophy room:
Eihb_xsXcAIinyI.jpg

I am sure that at some point somebody will make a clear wrong decision, but the trend has been for early entries to turn out to generally be the right idea. The Jewell Loyd situation has already been covered in depth already, but Aerial Powers also got some criticism when she left and that turned out fine, especially when she dealt with some injury issues.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Hope she gets her game going.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member