Wake Forest vs Marist | The Boneyard

Wake Forest vs Marist

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm not talking about the game between those teams, which I expect Marist to win. It's the teams and coaches I wanted to mention. Thursday night when Wake got down by a 30 or so points, their shoulders drooped and the frustrated players got a bit chippy. When Marist got down, the players got determined looks on their faces and, it seemed to me, ratcheted up their intensity - and put a 6-0 run on the Huskies. It was a very well executed run, too.

Marist is clearly a well-coached team. As Geno says, they run their stuff and they do it well. Their plan was to prevent the Huskies from going wild in the paint and, it seemed to me, limit damage done byKaleena and they did a creditable job. It's a shame that UConn's margin of victory will overshadow a heroic effort by a team so obviously lesser in talent.

The coaching styles were also different. When Wake players were called for fouls, the players looked incredulous while the coach yelled at the ref. When, for example, the Marist kid flattened BStew with a body slam last night, Coach Giorgis could be heard shouting, "The shoulder, Kristina, not the body!" and she nodded.

I hear Brian Giorgis is happy at Marist and isn't looking for a job at a "bigger" school. Good for him. But one wonders what he could do with a team that has a Griner, a Diggins or a Mosqueda-Lewis.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Nan...spot on! Brian used to coach Lady of Lourdes [high school in Poughkeepsie] and they regularly
made the state semis in Glens Falls. They were sound fundamentally and obviously well coached and Brian
always had this calm demeanor on the sidelines. The bump up to Marist required no move at all on his part...same town. Marist has made the sweet sixteen at least once under his guidance...beating teams with far more physical talent.
Recently they played Duke [at Duke] in the second round of The Dance and gave them all they wanted despite missing their best player.

At his age I doubt he wants to stray from Marist but he would be a wonderful choice for 95% of D1 schools in the land. I have heard nothing but good things about him.
Among his former Lourdes players is Maureen Magarity....went to BC....transferred back to Marist....and now is nicely impacting
New Hampshire in her 3rd year as coach...with husband on the staff...a la Jen and her spouse at UHart.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Nan...spot on! Brian used to coach Lady of Lourdes [high school in Poughkeepsie] and they regularly
made the state semis in Glens Falls. They were sound fundamentally and obviously well coached and Brian
always had this calm demeanor on the sidelines. The bump up to Marist required no move at all on his part...same town. Marist has made the sweet sixteen at least once under his guidance...beating teams with far more physical talent.
Recently they played Duke [at Duke] in the second round of The Dance and gave them all they wanted despite missing their best player.

At his age I doubt he wants to stray from Marist but he would be a wonderful choice for 95% of D1 schools in the land. I have heard nothing but good things about him.
Among his former Lourdes players is Maureen Magarity....went to BC....transferred back to Marist....and now is nicely impacting
New Hampshire in her 3rd year as coach...with husband on the staff...a la Jen and her spouse at UHart.

Nice post, Blake.

A respectful and thoughtful look at a very fine person and coach.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Brian Giorgis is a great coach. Easily in the top 5 along with Geno, Tara, Muffet and maybe one other.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I noticed that Marist showed grit and hustle to the end. Like a UConn team would do/ It was great to see. That kid Best had one gear....go.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
They smashed Wake 81-66 today. Excellent team IMO.
Good for Marist. I'll always root for a team who has a really good coach and who coaches solid basketball over a team of whiners and overly physical pushers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom