Waiver Request Denied by NCAA | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Waiver Request Denied by NCAA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You're right. Being stupid is one thing, but being both stupid and ignorant? ****. It's tough.

Thankfully any mouth breathing dip**** (much like myself) could tell you that there is no case here. Deal with it.

Pretty simple about Johnny U..........his team can't win and he's all for a champion not being part of the tourney for once......you're a pitiful man JU!! LOL

Reaction Score
Uconn needs to know better and recruit kids that wants a degree and actually care for their grades IN MY OPINION

Reaction Score
But what kid says he doesn't, or should we just not take a chance on anyone?

Reaction Score
That is the most screwed up thing ive seen in my entire life. You have to take 2011-2012 into consideration for this. It is just not fair that this group will have a near perfect score and get punished for kids mistakes from 3 years prior. It needs to be more current if the punishment is this severe

Reaction Score
It would be refreshing if all UConn teams refrained from playing post-season tournaments in support of the men's team.

The football team was extremely proactive in their support :D

Reaction Score
Uconn needs to know better and recruit kids that wants a degree and actually care for their grades IN MY OPINION

Wanting a degree is irrelevant. If it were relevant, Kentucky would fall afoul of the APR. That should tell you that you're barking up the wrong tree. Look up the APR criteria.

Reaction Score
Suddenly UConn works around these rules to land Drummond

I wanted to highlight this line because IMO this is why the waiver was not accepted. You could remove the suddenly because Uconn under Calhoun has been working around the rules quite often. Not to say lots of other schools don't operate the same way because they do, but when the NCAA is pretty nice with the Miles thing and lets you have last years tourney which you win making them look really stupid and weak only to see you follow up the scholly penalty by laughing and pointing at them with the #1 recruit walking on . . . . . . well this shouldn't be a shock. I'm not saying its right or fair or that I like the NCAA but the world has always worked this way because people run it and it always will.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Wanting a degree is irrelevant. If it were relevant, Kentucky would fall afoul of the APR. That should tell you that you're barking up the wrong tree. Look up the APR criteria.

Ok, so this is what confuses me. My husband even asked, how can Calipari consistently churn and burn the one and domes at KY and not be penalized?

Reaction Score
I not sure if understand the conditions of the waiver. Would all BE schools forfiet revenue from participating in the '13 tournament if the waiver was granted?

Reaction Score
Any lawyers on the board...is this something that UCONN could take to court if all of other options (the appeal) are exhausted? Like someone earlier said, to change the rules after they have already happened, and after you have already been punished seems unconstitutional. I know the NCAA lives in its own world, but still...

Also, it is important to note that back in October, Walt Harrison (the committee chairperson) did say he was in favor of using the 2010-2011 and 2011-2012 years for data. The concern though is that different schools have different schedules (i.e. trimesters, semesters, quarters, etc.) making it difficult to collect the data. It will be interesting to see this play out.

Reaction Score
That is the most screwed up thing ive seen in my entire life. You have to take 2011-2012 into consideration for this. It is just not fair that this group will have a near perfect score and get punished for kids mistakes from 3 years prior. It needs to be more current if the punishment is this severe

This is a great argument. Probably the best argument, when combined with the fact that they are currently subject to the loss of scholarship penalties.

Reaction Score
Ok, so this is what confuses me. My husband even asked, how can Calipari consistently churn and burn the one and domes at KY and not be penalized?

All you need is to leave school in good standing in your classes. If you take a few intersession courses in December, or summer classes prior to freshman year, then all you need to do is maintain the minimum credits (2 courses). If those courses are filled with athletes and the professor allows them to finish the class post April 3 electronically (i.e. 3 more weeks of study online) then you leave in good standing.

And that's as good as having a kid graduate.

In fact, it's better, since the course offerings for juniors and seniors constrict as they meed to meet requirements, but for freshman like those at Kentucky, you can design the curriculum pretty easily to keep them eligible and keep the APR intact.

In short, the APR is a figleaf for college presidents to pretend that they are doing something about the education of basketball players.

If they really cared, they'd raise admissions standards but that would maybe hurt the bottom line.

Reaction Score
It sucks that UConn will not be eligible for 2013, but it seems like somebody at the top dropped the ball, maybe intentionally. The school President and AD are fighting this hard and I think they will get it done, eventually. The NCAA is punishing the wrong people.

Reaction Score
It sucks that UConn will not be eligible for 2013, but it seems like somebody at the top dropped the ball, maybe intentionally. The school President and AD are fighting this hard and I think they will get it done, eventually. The NCAA is punishing the wrong people.

Just come out and say it, I have no idea what the hell your post means

Reaction Score
""A review of points lost in the Academic Progress Rate cohort comprised of the 2007-2008 through 2010-11 academic years show that three student-athletes who departed the University to pursue professional opportunities left academically ineligible. [Information redacted.] Had those student-athletes maintained their eligibility through the conclusion of the Spring semester, the Men's Basketball multi-year Academic Progress Rate score reported during the 2011-2012 academic year would have been 921 . . . providing us access to the post-season." The three Connecticut players who left early to turn pro during that timeframe, according to NBA early-entry lists, were Kemba Walker, Hasheem Thabeet and Ater Majok."

"Prior to the start of the 2011-12 season, a new position was added to the men's basketball staff - an assistant director of men's basketball administration, whose primary job is working with the team academic counselor and performing duties including "directly monitoring class attendance of the student-athletes.""
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/coll...enalty-ncaa-tournament-jim-calhoun/53036476/1

Reaction Score
""A review of points lost in the Academic Progress Rate cohort comprised of the 2007-2008 through 2010-11 academic years show that three student-athletes who departed the University to pursue professional opportunities left academically ineligible. [Information redacted.] Had those student-athletes maintained their eligibility through the conclusion of the Spring semester, the Men's Basketball multi-year Academic Progress Rate score reported during the 2011-2012 academic year would have been 921 . . . providing us access to the post-season." The three Connecticut players who left early to turn pro during that timeframe, according to NBA early-entry lists, were Kemba Walker, Hasheem Thabeet and Ater Majok."

Don't understand this. I thought leaving earl to play professionally doesn't hurt APR?

Reaction Score
Don't understand this. I thought leaving earl to play professionally doesn't hurt APR?
It doesn't if the student leaves in good academic standing, ie. finishes their last semester. I guess these three left and did not finish their course work for the Spring. It's not clear if anyone was trying to get them to finish up before they left.

Reaction Score

You can't just stop attending classes. You have to leave and still be eligible for the next season. None of those guys were, apparently. I thought Kemba graduated early though, so I'm doubting the accuracy of the list of players.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Kemba Walker hurting out APR score, as that implies, is all the proof anyone should need that the system is incredible flawed.

Reaction Score
It doesn't if the student leaves in good academic standing, ie. finishes their last semester. I guess these three left and did not finish their course work for the Spring. It's not clear if anyone was trying to get them to finish up before they left.

Kemba was ahead of schedule. We didn't lose credit for him - it's been confirmed that last year's team only lost one point, and it was for Jamal Coombs-McDaniel.

Reaction Score
Really now that I think about it, the list could be any UConn player that is now a professional. You can abandon your classes in the second semester of your senior year just as easily as you can your junior year, so it wasn't definitely those three guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom