Waiver Request Denied by NCAA | The Boneyard

Waiver Request Denied by NCAA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can this go to litigation? Or can we get our scholarships back?

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I keep hearing different things ... but is that just the initial step? What are the other avenues?

And what happened to leniency if the institution showed notable improvement, as UConn has?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i wonder if it will affect recruiting for next year. the post season ban is for 1 year? i wonder if Omar will reconsider.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Gather the legal team, this is bull$hit!

Reaction Score
It does not surprise me one bit that it only took a day to make a decision on the waiver.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
it took how long with all the other uconn vs ncaa things? it took 1 hour for this. what a joke.

sUeConn

Reaction Score
i wonder if it will affect recruiting for next year. the post season ban is for 1 year? i wonder if Omar will reconsider.

You would have to expect some impact, especially HS seniors. I don't think its a deal killer but it would seem to come in to play.

Omar so far is in the bag, however this is a new development.

Reaction Score
Assuming this holds, does this pretty much guarantee AD and JL are gone?

Reaction Score
Recruiting is getting hurt from a variety of things--the weakening of the BE as a result of SYR and PITT leaving; Calhoun's suspension; Calhoun's health problem, and of course this, which is perhaps the most injurious.

Reaction Score
This one will definitely end up in court (and UConn actually has a pretty good case).

What makes you say this? Obviously to Uconn fans this is double jeopardy but the NCAA is a governing body and they can choose to make whatever rules they want. If a member doesn't like the rules they can leave but can they sue?

Reaction Score
UCONN has the right to appeal. Seriously, I do not know what that will do.

Reaction Score
No more messing around, it's time to sue their asses off. The NCAA clearly has a vendetta with UConn and is trying to make an example out of us, it's time we make an example out of them. I honestly don't see how we lose if this goes to court.

Reaction Score
Uconn still has 3 options remaining:

1) They win their appeal
2) The NCAA speeds up the reporting process and allows the 2011 and 2012 scores to be used to determine 2013 eligibility. If this happens, Uconn would be eligible.
3) Take them to court

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Post season bans have historically been program killers or at least set a program back severely for a number of years for many reasons. Not to mention the other punishments we have been dealt. This must be taken to court or our program is toast. The NCAA is clearly looking for any means necessary to get their 'pound of flesh.'

caw

Reaction Score
What makes you say this? Obviously to Uconn fans this is double jeopardy but the NCAA is a governing body and they can choose to make whatever rules they want. If a member doesn't like the rules they can leave but can they sue?

Sadly, you may be correct that this may not hold up in court. However, they might be able to sue at the least. It is something to look into.

It would be interesting if this lead to the end of the NCAA. If UConn decides to leave, other schools/conferences may join (not because of UConn but because they also think the NCAA sucks and this is a good pretext to get it started).

Reaction Score
Post season bans have historically been program killers or at least set a program back severely for a number of years for many reasons. Not to mention the other punishments we have been dealt. This must be taken to court or our program is toast. The NCAA is clearly looking for any means necessary to get their 'pound of flesh.'

It hasn't hurt USC (two year postseason ban) nor OSU in football. They both had top recruiting classes.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

What program might you be referring to? While this ticks me off, I see it as no different than a few seasons back when we made no tournament because we sucked. So just imagine it as being a bad season. Calhoun is probably gone after this season anyway so it's time to rebuild and this program will be fine. No need to jump overboard.

Reaction Score
The problem with taking the NCAA to court is what does that actually mean?

Does it mean we take them to court and are allowed to play in the tournament if we win? Or does it mean we take them to court, sue for lost revenue, but still don't play in the tournament?

I don't care if we sue the NCAA for $900 gazillion dollars. I care about being eligible for the 2013 tournament.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
It hasn't hurt USC (two year postseason ban) nor OSU in football. They both had top recruiting classes.
How USC and Ohio held on to all of their players and they did not all transfer out is beyond me. Losing recruits normally leads to very bad seasons which turns off future recruits and on and on it snowballs. Add this in to all of the uncertainty on Calhoun's future, lost scholarships etc. and I say again, we are screwed if this ban stands.

Reaction Score
The NCAA definitely has it out for UConn. I understand UConn's athletic department and Calhoun are also to blame for this mess, but the fact that the NCAA can change the rules as they please simply because they want to *k with a school is beyond ridiculous. The rules beforehand were that if you do not meet the score of 900, you are docked two scholarships. Suddenly UConn works around these rules to land Drummond and now not meeting the requirements leads to a postseason ban? If you can't see something *ked up about that then I don't know what to tell you.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
The problem with taking the NCAA to court is what does that actually mean?

Does it mean we take them to court and are allowed to play in the tournament if we win? Or does it mean we take them to court, sue for lost revenue, but still don't play in the tournament?

I don't care if we sue the NCAA for $900 gazillion dollars. I care about being eligible for the 2013 tournament.

Delay it in court until after the 2013 tourney and hopefully have the court rule that the retroactive punishment is damaging to the university and rules against the NCAA.

I agree. Lost revenue is BS. We need to be eligible for the tourney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom