Wait Until Next Year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Wait Until Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The way I look at it, the team will have more depth next season as opposed to this year, but I think it'll be near impossible to replace Boatright (much like replacing Shabazz this year). We don't have that clear leader replacing Boatright, and I think it would be crazy for us to believe that Jalen Adams will step in as a freshman without skipping a beat.

Unfortunately that's where I'm at as well.

Unless Adams steps in and plays better than a freshman Kemba, Napier, or Boat (who all had the luxury of backing up a future NBA point guard in their freshman seasons), and everyone improves ten fold, I just don't see it.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Should be lineup:
Adams
Purvis
Hamilton
Lubin
Nolan

Swap Lubin for brima and that will be our lineup. But we should be good next year. I expect Enoch to contribute as the backup center, with Lubin contributing size and toughness vs teams we need it, I think his oreb and put back layup was the first we had all year, we NEED more of that.

Reaction Score
The way I look at it, the team will have more depth next season as opposed to this year, but I think it'll be near impossible to replace Boatright (much like replacing Shabazz this year). We don't have that clear leader replacing Boatright, and I think it would be crazy for us to believe that Jalen Adams will step in as a freshman without skipping a beat.

Your pg doesn't have to necessarily be your leader, a lot of us are expecting Adams to step right in and produce(not put up crazy numbers but I think freshman year Boat numbers would be the floor for him), but I don't think anyone is asking him to be the team's leader. Purvis has been in the program for 2 years now and got to watch both Bazz and Boat, he should hopefully equipped to be a a team leader, same with Brimah who is already a captain, and DHam should be able to step up in that area as well.

This is an aside and is not directly addressing you, but I don't get this narrative on the boneyard that you can't win with freshman PGs unless your like a top 5 player surrounded by UK talent. Maryland had a ton of defections but returned their best player in Dez Wells who is a lot like Purvis and then inserted Trimble as a freshman starter and look where they are at. Last year Texas was a mess, had a number of defections, but their remaining players got better, they inserted a 3 star freshman PG in Isaiah Taylor and had a great season. Virginia last season had a dominant regular season with a freshman 3 star pg starting in London Perrantes because he was good and their returnees improved over the previous season. Winning with a freshman PG who isn't John Wall or Tyus Jones can happen people, its just Jalen Adams is going to have to step in and produce, Purvis, DHam, Brimah, and Facey are going to have to continue to improve, and these last 2 ships are going to have to be used very wisely.

Reaction Score
Why... he had a rough patch and then got hurt... so you're going to kick him to the curb?

Rather than argue just to argue why don't you defend what you think he can provide or do well next year other than a vague "he had a rough patch"...

Reaction Score
Rather than argue just to argue why don't you defend what you think he can provide or do well next year other than a vague "he had a rough patch"...

He was averaging 7.5 ppg 6 games into the season. He obviously suffered from confidence issues that plagued all the shooting guards at some point. Only, he didn't get the opportunity to work through it after getting injured.

I'm just wondering why you would want him to leave the team, considering he did have a handful of decent performances.

He's also an extra ball-handler, and unlike Samuel, has made a 3 point shot in his career.

Reaction Score
We need one magical recruit whether it be the 5th year kid from somewhere or a fired coach's recruit. Still think we need a piece, maturity with game would be a huge get.

Mau,

Exactly. Was just going to post this when I opened this thread.

We need some springtime magic let it be a juco, foreigner or a kid that falls into our laps.

Somehow someway we have to add to this roster for next year with a more than serviceable player.

BTW hope your mother is doing ok.

Reaction Score
He was averaging 7.5 ppg 6 games into the season. He obviously suffered from confidence issues that plagued all the shooting guards at some point. Only, he didn't get the opportunity to work through it after getting injured.

I'm just wondering why you would want him to leave the team, considering he did have a handful of decent performances.

He's also an extra ball-handler, and unlike Samuel, has made a 3 point shot in his career.

Because he's HORRIBLE defensively and not nearly the shooter/passer he had been touted as. Plus, in spite of not being a good shooter, he calls his own number way too often. At least Samuel provides some defense and doesn't go out of his way to take shots that he shouldn't.

Reaction Score
No one is going to argue that he shouldn't have to work his way back to get minutes... I just can't get on the same page as someone who wants any player to leave the school, even if they were terrible.

Reaction Score
Mau,

Exactly. Was just going to post this when I opened this thread.

We need some springtime magic let it be a juco, foreigner or a kid that falls into our laps.

Somehow someway we have to add to this roster for next year with a more than serviceable player.

BTW hope your mother is doing ok.

Thanks CC....getting better slowly. Moved to Elim Park in Chehire so hopefully they are pretty damn good. Beds are tough to find in all of the good rehabs. Thanks again

Big game for Maloney vs Career - Go Meriden! LOL

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Cassell isn't getting kicked off the team. I don't think Ollie would do that to any of these kids. Personally, I think that's a good thing -- everyone we have has at least some potential to be a contributor in some form by the time they graduate. If that upsets you, you have my deepest sympathies.

Reaction Score
Why... he had a rough patch and then got hurt... so you're going to kick him to the curb?

He was putrid every minute he was on the floor this year. I didn't see any discernible skills from him, including being able to hit open jump shots. He's not going anywhere, and I don't want Ollie to push kids out of the program, but Cassell's play this year wasn't some anomaly.

I really want one of the graduate transfers. We need some prime time-ready talent.

Reaction Score

6 games into the season, he was shooting 29% from the floor. At no point this year was he playing well.

Reaction Score
If you're not arguing to kick him off the team, we don't have anything we disagree on.

Call me a glass-half-full guy. He was offered a scholarship for a reason, and I'll cheer him on until he graduates, like I will for anyone who is trusted by the staff to join the team.

Reaction Score
If you're not arguing to kick him off the team, we don't have anything we disagree on.

I don't want him kicked off the team, but I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if he decided to transfer somewhere that is a better fit for his skills. He's very clearly not a high-major player.

Reaction Score
I'm personally excited by the room for improvement our guys have for next season.

I haven't seen this mentioned much, but I refuse to believe that both Omar and Phil are going to go out in their senior year and have a season like they did this year. We saw in flashes that these guys can be major contributors, albeit they have disappointed many times. If Phil plays like he did down the stretch for a full year and Omar can contribute with consistent play & shot, then we will have scary depth.

We will be a very junior-heavy team next year. There are plenty of guys on the roster who experienced what it takes to win a championship in '14, and these same guys experienced the disappointment of inconsistent play and a seeming lack of focus this year. We have some deficiencies in ball-handling and shooting, but that can seemingly be remedied by guys like Hamilton and Purvis stepping up and playing consistently. We have the talent, just need to have our heads screwed on right. This team showed great chemistry down the last stretch.

All in all, I'm expecting this team to return hungry to win, and we will have a lot of guys ready to step up and improve. Sure we can use another shooter or ball-handler, but it's hard for me to imagine this team being anything BUT tough next year.

Reaction Score
If we had "high-major players" knocking the doors down to join next year, I could begin to entertain the idea that the lower skill guys might want to go somewhere else for more playing time... but we're not even using all the scholarships we have yet.

Reaction Score
I expect Facey to be starting at the 4 for sure. I liked what I saw of him this year, I think he'll make a nice jump next year and give us something around 8 & 8. He's the only player on the roster that has shown the potential to be a legit high-major rebounder outside of Hamilton. We have to cross out fingers that Adams lives up to the hype, he can't be a bust. Not now, not in the situation we're in.

Adams
Purvis
Hamilton
Facey
Brimah

The depth is terrifying though. We need a damn shooter off the bench. Either Cassell or Omar needs to get their stroke right. We still don't have a solid ball handler off the bench either unless TS improves tremendously.

Looking way down the line to 16-17, that should be our starting line as well. That could be a fun year.

Reaction Score
Honestly if Brimah could learn to rebound and not get in foul trouble literally every game we would be a top 25 team next year and made the tourny easily this year. But that's a big IF

Reaction Score
Honestly if Brimah could learn to rebound and not get in foul trouble literally every game we would be a top 25 team next year and made the tourny easily this year. But that's a big IF
I agree.

Perhaps because of the history at UConn, I think next year will look like either the 1998/2002 type year, or the 2003/2008 type year.

Reaction Score
I expect Facey to be starting at the 4 for sure. I liked what I saw of him this year, I think he'll make a nice jump next year and give us something around 8 & 8. He's the only player on the roster that has shown the potential to be a legit high-major rebounder outside of Hamilton. We have to cross out fingers that Adams lives up to the hype, he can't be a bust. Not now, not in the situation we're in.

Adams
Purvis
Hamilton
Facey
Brimah

The depth is terrifying though. We need a damn shooter off the bench. Either Cassell or Omar needs to get their stroke right. We still don't have a solid ball handler off the bench either unless TS improves tremendously.

Looking way down the line to 16-17, that should be our starting line as well. That could be a fun year.

I hate to tell you but Facey's issues are almost mirrored by Brimah's. HIs ability is obvious, but can he bring the mental part of the game which this year again was way too fast for him, to the court? Will be interesting, love to see it. But can't be starting to box out when the ball is hitting the rim.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Agreed, I think we have a chance to be very good next year.
I won't be predicting three losses like I did before this season. I'm still in shock that with the talent we have we didn't make the NCAA Tourney. We're the Cup Cormier Huskies. I guess we all expected more offensively from Brimah and didn't realize how poor of a rebounding team we'd be. When a skinny guy like DHam is your top rebounder, you know it's been a tough season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom