Volnation all abuzz | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Volnation all abuzz

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
2) Walz and Louisville weren't second fiddle last season in the ACC

And they might not be next year. Or at least not to ND. ACC is wide open going forward.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Let’s not put MM out to pasture just yet. She’s 63. As for last season, remind me again, who won the championship?

Muffet is one of those people who cannot be idle and well...there's only so much gardening you can do. Health permitting, I think she has a lot left in the tank. Though, with all the inexperienced players she will be coaching next year, she'll probably feel she's aging faster than ever.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
well I thought she was older than that. but anyway.... battling with MM as opposed to battling with Schaefer and Staley... he's better off staying in Louisville.

But the ACC also has such tactical geniuses as Hillsman and Hatchell and JPM and...:D

I couldn't keep a straight face, even online.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The original "tweeter" is a guy from the Tennessee horde, so to speak. Could be Walz is floating the idea to push for a raise, or just to test the waters. Could be Tennessee is wooing him, but getting him to the alter may prove more problematic.

I feel sorry for Holly. She's not even been "fired yet". No matter what you think of her coaching, she's a human being who gave blood, sweat, and tears to that program. If this is how they take care of replacing her, shame on Tennessee. Holly deserves better. Fire her first, if that's the plan, and then go after the replacement. It's just common decency.

And by the way the timing makes no sense. Why would Walz even be talking to them? Isn't he preparing his team for the Sweet 16 with the hopes of a run to the NC? I get that people can multi task, but an ethical person would say "I will discuss when my team's season is over".

Reaction Score
I’d get the heck out of Louisville. They are screwed in the Athletic Department for a hot minute. All the Pitino stuff. Their football program is down, men’s basketball is down. AD is cutting from every sport to save money. Heard Waltz recruiting budget got cut by 50% last year.
He does recruit every 12 years old basketball player in the country :)

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
The original "tweeter" is a guy from the Tennessee horde, so to speak. Could be Walz is floating the idea to push for a raise, or just to test the waters. Could be Tennessee is wooing him, but getting him to the alter may prove more problematic.

I feel sorry for Holly. She's not even been "fired yet". No matter what you think of her coaching, she's a human being who gave blood, sweat, and tears to that program. If this is how they take care of replacing her, shame on Tennessee. Holly deserves better. Fire her first, if that's the plan, and then go after the replacement. It's just common decency.

And by the way the timing makes no sense. Why would Walz even be talking to them? Isn't he preparing his team for the Sweet 16 with the hopes of a run to the NC? I get that people can multi task, but an ethical person would say "I will discuss when my team's season is over".

It could also be that TN is testing the waters to see if Jeff is interested before deciding to fire Holly or not. It would be very embarrassing for them to fire her and then find that no one wants the job.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1) MM is pushing 70. how many more years will she be coaching?
2) Walz and Louisville weren't second fiddle last season in the ACC
1553659135260.png

"70? Really? Try 63."​

Reaction Score
If I were a former Lady Vol player I would not take the job. UT fans are ridiculously vicious in their attacks on former players.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
And they might not be next year. Or at least not to ND. ACC is wide open going forward.

NC State loses Kiara Leslie and DD Rogers after this year...but Kaila Ealey, Erika Cassell and Grace Hunter (all lost to injury at various points this year) all return, Elissa Cunane will be a sophomore and we have a top 10 recruiting class coming in. The Wolfpack will be a strong contender for the conference championship next season. With FSU and Miami also young and strong, the ACC race will be interesting and not just a two-team affair as in recent seasons.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Waltz played this game once before, shaking down Louisville for a $300 k annual raise. He just got another raise last year. His new contract pays him about $1.5 million, and it contains a buyout provision. Considering that TN is paying Holly around $800 k, and she also has a buyout, TN might be looking at something north of $4 million to get Walz. I really don’t think that’s going to happen, but sometimes universities do crazy things when it comes to coaches.

Yeah, like giving Kevin Ollie a 10.7 million dollar buyout provision in his contract.

Reaction Score
I don't see it happening. While there is undoubtedly a lot of cash to consider, the pressure on him to win the first national championship since Pat Summit's day would be huge. From day one.

More likely, he'll get a sweeter deal at Louisville and maintain status quo, which is to continue to improve Louisville's WCBB fortunes and cement his legacy.

Louisville is his only head coaching job. He's been there since 2007. They've been on a positive arc since then, culminating in last year's runner-up. They're on the cusp of winning their first national championship. I don't think he'll leave until he wins at least one.

He'll always be in demand. But for him to leave Louisville for hated Tennessee at this point in his career doesn't add up in my mind.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It could also be that TN is testing the waters to see if Jeff is interested before deciding to fire Holly or not. It would be very embarrassing for them to fire her and then find that no one wants the job.
I know there’s a lot of disappointment with the LV’s in Knoxville, but the idea that TN would leave HW twisting in the wind while they shopped around for another HC is just not something that Fulmer would do. There are plenty of coaches that would love the TN job. I’m just not sure Jeff Walz is one of them.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I’d get the heck out of Louisville. They are screwed in the Athletic Department for a hot minute. All the Pitino stuff. Their football program is down, men’s basketball is down. AD is cutting from every sport to save money. Heard Waltz recruiting budget got cut by 50% last year.
Speaking of Pitino, my son says he’s as candidate for the newly available head coach’s job at Elon, per a newspaper down there @triaddukefan

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score

I recall a certain football coach of a state university in southern New England, the day after taking his team to its highest rated bowl game ever, flying out to take a job elsewhere. I'm guessing he likely was talking to his new employees while ostensibly preparing his team for that important game. Maybe that contributed to their not doing so well?

Reaction Score
Not unless Tennessee is willing to pay out upwards of $2 million a year. He has a great division I program already at a decent university. There is no attraction to his going there, or for that matter, no attraction for any top WCBB coach to go there. The name "Tennessee" means nothing to a coach already ranked in the Top 25.

Either this is a hoax, or a trial balloon launched by Tennessee. Even the language used in the tweet is strange: "prepared to lose"? What the heck does that mean?

Won't happen.
Also, wouldn't Louisville match a $2 million/year Tennessee salary offer? Would Tennessee then up their offer? I don't know. Probably be resolved within the month.

Reaction Score

Seems like this happens every year with Walz. Sounds like wishful thinking on the part of desperate TN fans and a no name reporter trying to get his name out there.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Depends on how you want to define it. Louisville was 2-0 against ND last season including one absolute beat down and was the regular season and conference tournament champ. Hard to say Louisville was 2nd fiddle in the ACC. The National Championship is of course the most coveted prize.

That's called burying the lead. ;)
And the 2017-18 season was the pinnacle for that Louisville team in the ACC, IMHO. I was one happy Irish fan when Myisha Hines-Allen graduated. As much as I admire Sam F.'s grit and determination, H-A was the player that put that crew forward (yes, she was fouled in the NCAA semi-final).

As for the "scant" returning Irish, there's not a lot of floor time there, but there is a lot of talent: numerous McDonald's All-Americans, national team players and two new talents coming in (Brunelle and Peoples). I'm sure MM will be driven crazy in practice and the sidelines early on, but they'll get better. Look forward to seeing it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Based on what?? He’s built an incredible program at Louisville. Pursuing a great opportunity is part of building a successful career.
Insightful! Intelligent. I question the financial part, U.T Vols seem like a cheap place holding on to a mediocre coach apparently reluctant to pay her off or negotiate an exit package.

Reaction Score
Waltz played this game once before, shaking down Louisville for a $300 k annual raise. He just got another raise last year. His new contract pays him about $1.5 million, and it contains a buyout provision. Considering that TN is paying Holly around $800 k, and she also has a buyout, TN might be looking at something north of $4 million to get Walz. I really don’t think that’s going to happen, but sometimes universities do crazy things when it comes to coaches.

Walz base salary is 1.15M

Reaction Score
Also, wouldn't Louisville match a $2 million/year Tennessee salary offer? Would Tennessee then up their offer? I don't know. Probably be resolved within the month.

Fulmer is concerned about fball, what brings in the real money and now secondarily MCBBl now that they are somewhat contenders.

TN might is getting what they paid for. Warlick gets paid 690K which is middle of the pack in the SEC & far below the non SEC annual contenders like UConn, Baylor, ND, UL. Her original contract was 565K, then she got a raise of 100K to 665K, and the 2018 extension a 25k raise to 690K. Fargas at LSU gets paid more and it's not like LSU has advanced with her. What has Taylor at GA really done? I'm not convinced TN will put up the money for a big name. TN has bigger fish to fry with fball and are still paying a ton of money for their screw ups with the coaching buyouts. Also, the big names, ie..Walz surely have a buyout clause...ie...like Geno's contract, but not as big.

1)Schaeffer - MSU - 1.596M
2)Staley - SC -1.45M
3)Mitchell - KY -1.3M
4)Blair - A&M - 1M
5)Taylor - GA - 750K
6)Fargas - LSU - 700K
7)Warlick - TN - 690k

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors