Volnation all abuzz | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Volnation all abuzz

Reaction Score
Insightful! Intelligent. I question the financial part, U.T Vols seem like a cheap place holding on to a mediocre coach apparently reluctant to pay her off or negotiate an exit package.

Pay Holly? For what? Last summer's contract negotiation with Holly reflects her results these past 2-3 years - middle of the pack SEC results, middle of the pack SEC pay. If she performed better, pay would have been better.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Seems like this happens every year with Walz. Sounds like wishful thinking on the part of desperate TN fans and a no name reporter trying to get his name out there.

His raise and extension last year is considered by some in the media to be the result of a Walz inspired rumor about Walz and Tennessee then. I suspect Louisville, hurting for coin, wants no part of bumping him again and that kind of money is not thouight to be in the cards in Tennessee. But, if he can work that miracle, more power to him. This could be the last year for a couple when Louisville mounts a serious tournament run.

Reaction Score
Pay Holly? For what? Last summer's contract negotiation with Holly reflects her results these past 2-3 years - middle of the pack SEC results, middle of the pack SEC pay. If she performed better, pay would have been better.
What posting did you read? Evidently, it wasn't mine. I wasn't talking per se her salary package or whether she should get a raise or not. I was talking about EXIT issues between UT Vol Nation and Holly. It appears they were reluctant to pay her off or negotiate an exit package and move on.Cheap??? If Walz wants that job fine, but I doubt it. They have a nice group to build a great team around, with the right coach.
For Walz it could be the 2nd greatest historically best team needs a coach, is that enough to lure him??

Reaction Score

Oh, and he recently signed a long-term contract. Seems to me that the media should go back to that reporter who wrote the "prepared to lose" and ask him whether it was nonsense, and whether he feels used.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Different interpretations of second fiddle in the ACC has been presented. What matters is the perception by Walz. No matter what we think about him (I actually think highly of him) he has to have great confidence in himself to have the kind of success he has had. He undoubtedly looks at recent successes as confirmation of his ability, whether ND winning the NC means Louisville is second fiddle or not. He cannot be intimidated by being in a better conference like the ACC over the SEC, or being up against a great coach in MM (though I suspect Schaeffer will prove to be her equal in time). Given that he thrives on such challenges of being in a great basketball conference with other great coaches, I see the Tennessee job as something that offers him only misery instead.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So here's the latest. Jeff commented that the rumors were, "A slap in the face to Holly." The TN Athletic Department commented that they, "don't comment on rumors." Neither Walz nor TN denied the rumor. Furthermore, there's been no "vote of confidence" issued by the AD supporting Holly after their one-on-one meeting on Monday. I'm not very good at reading the tea leaves, but it appears that HW may be on her way out. As for Walz, It's hard to tell if he has a genuine interest in TN or more likely is simply trying to renegotiate his contract at Louisville once again.

Reaction Score
I have no doubt that Jeff would have gone much further in the tournament than Holly did. The base is there for a TN to be a top 5 team. Next season (if everyone stays) they'll have 6-7 HS AA and with the addition of Horston a game changer. On the other hand Louisville next season does not look to be so formidable. Maybe it is the right time for him to jump ship...

Reaction Score
No incentive for Jeff to jump.... if rumor is true, it is just to get him more bucks at LVille.... LVille has high visibility, and Tenn has shown no indication it wants to shine in women's basketball and recapture what it previously had

Reaction Score
Looks like $400k for Geno then another 1.5m from other sources?

Geno's Contract
400K designated salary for coaching + the following

Speaking, consulting, media fees....Geno has to available for up to 15 speaking engagements or media events, coaches call in shows, SNY Geno Show.
..................................................= Total
2016-17 --2M +400K = 2.4M
2017-18 --2.1M +400K = 2.5M
2018-19 --2.2M + 400K = 2.6M
2019-20 --2.3M +400K = 2.7M
2020-20 --2.4M +400K =2.8M

Bonuses:
1/2 Month salary for regular season conf title ---16,667
1/2 Month salary for conf tourney title ----------16,667
1 Month salary for making NCAA Tourney------33,333
1 Month salary for making Sweet 16 ------------33.333
1 Month salary for making Elite 8----------------33,333
1 Month salary for making Final 4---------------33,333
2 Months salary for NCAA championship-------66,666
1/2 month salary National Coach of the Year---16,667
1/4 month salary for Conf Coach of the Year----8,333

Geno's buyout was 5M and reduces by 500K each year, so even in last yr the buyout is 3M

Reaction Score
Geno's Contract
400K designated salary for coaching + the following

Speaking, consulting, media fees....Geno has to available for up to 15 speaking engagements or media events, coaches call in shows, SNY Geno Show.
..........= Total
2016-17 --2M +400K = 2.4M
2017-18 --2.1M +400K = 2.5M
2018-19 --2.2M + 400K = 2.6M
2019-20 --2.3M +400K = 2.7M
2020-20 --2.4M +400K =2.8M

Bonuses:
1/2 Month salary for regular season conf title ---16,667
1/2 Month salary for conf tourney title ----------16,667
1 Month salary for making NCAA Tourney------33,333
1 Month salary for making Sweet 16 ------------33.333
1 Month salary for making Elite 8----------------33,333
1 Month salary for making Final 4---------------33,333
2 Months salary for NCAA championship-------66,666
1/2 month salary National Coach of the Year---16,667
1/4 month salary for Conf Coach of the Year----8,333

Geno's buyout was 5M and reduces by 500K each year, so even in last yr the buyout is 3M
Who pays the media, speaking, and consulting fees? If it's not UConn then that's not really part of his salary. It would be like including the revenue from his restaurant as part of his coaching contract.

Reaction Score
Who pays the media, speaking, and consulting fees? If it's not UConn then that's not really part of his salary. It would be like including the revenue from his restaurant as part of his coaching contract.

It's paid by UConn..ie...thru many revenue sources. It comes from the SNY Tv deal, Geno show, the IMG radio deal, etc..Geno is the biggest profile coach at the University. Also, the media/charity/university alumni events Geno is required to do bring in money,exposure, etc...that drives alumni donations. People want to hang out w/ Geno at an event and/or hear him speak. UConn is getting their money's worth. 11 NC's and the highest profile WCBB program in the country also surely helps UConn in their terms of the Nike deal, over what other mid major conf schools get. The fact they link this major compensation to media events is b/c Geno & the womens program is the draw. UConn doesn't get as good an SNY deal w/o Geno, fans love the Geno Show, All Access, etc...and SNY gets really good ratings for their Womens team games and ancillary coverage.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
As for the "scant" returning Irish, there's not a lot of floor time there, but there is a lot of talent: numerous McDonald's All-Americans, national team players and two new talents coming in (Brunelle and Peoples). I'm sure MM will be driven crazy in practice and the sidelines early on, but they'll get better. Look forward to seeing it.

MM has had the Irish among the best in the country for a long time. I don't expect them to disappear. Rebuilding mode is a lot more successful for some programs than others (like UConn going undefeated in the regular season after losing Stewie, Jefferson and Tuck). Vaughn looks like a player that could be productive w/ more playing time. ND may be very good again next year but they will be losing a ton of experience and talent.

As for Louisville, I'm sure they've missed Hines-Allen this year but they haven't taken that much of a step back this year. They can't replace Durr next season but Jones, Evans, Shook and Dunham is a nice nucleus to build around.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
new_duds.jpg

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If I were a former Lady Vol player I would not take the job. UT fans are ridiculously vicious in their attacks on former players.

True in Holly’s case, but I think if Kara Lawson wanted the job, Fulmer and Vol Nation would probably welcome her with open arms. She would be a welcome change. It would not surprise me at all if Walz takes this job.

Reaction Score
True in Holly’s case, but I think if Kara Lawson wanted the job, Fulmer and Vol Nation would probably welcome her with open arms. She would be a welcome change. It would not surprise me at all if Walz takes this job.

Yes, of course they would welcome her in the beginning, but after 3 or 4 years and no final four, the vicious attacks on her by some vocal internet UT fans would begin.

Reaction Score
He does recruit every 12 years old basketball player in the country :)

They guy gets tons of kids to show up in Louisville, then sees a third of them leave. But he keeps just enough to be very competitive.

Coach Geno, on the other hand, is very targeted in his recruiting, and doesn't go after anyone he doesn't really want.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom