Voepel on the Summitt book | The Boneyard

Voepel on the Summitt book

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
LINK

Nothing new here. It kind of bothers me that the she leaves the allegation hanging out there. Also Patt makes it seem as if she made a couple of phone calls and that was it. If you are writing an article on this, why not say Tenn, via the SEC, sent a complaint with a string of minor accusations attached such as an accusation that former UConn players gave a recruit a ride, while they were actually playing overseas at the time. The only thing found in the laundry list of accusations was a secondary violation due to UConn officials calling to arrange for Maya to participate in a publically available tour of ESPN. Hardly a war crime there.

Still, Pat is retired and Tennessee is on its way to the ash heap of history and Connecticut is right where it belongs, in the hunt for another national title.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Let's not get carried away here. This year, Tennessee is (barely) in the Top , is leading the SEC by a couple of games, and may have a #2 seed in the NCAA tournament. Next year, Mercedes Russell is coming in. Tennessee will probably be a Top 10 program for the foreseeable future, but not a consistent Top 3 program as in the past.

After Geno leaves UConn (whenever that happens), it is likely that much the same thing will happen to UConn's program.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"Tennessee is on its way to the ash heap of history "

Tennessee has played a tough schedule, is ranked #8 and will probably end up with 6-7 losses. Hardly "ash heap" territory.

Reaction Score
I read about this yesterday. The SEC found nothing wrong with UConn's recruiting; the NCAA found nothing wrong with UConn's recruiting, other than some second hand violations which weren't enough to get upset about in the first place. I respect Pat Summit. She is one of the greatest coaches ever, men or women. But I lose respect for a person when they make allegations but won't mention them. Pat comes off sounding very passive-aggressive.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Next year Russell, Harrison and Graves in the post. Carter, Simmons, Massengale at guards throw in Burdick and Tucker that will be a real good team.

Reaction Score
Pat reported the "violation" to the SEC and they did nothing? Really? In other words, there was no violation or at best a low level violation. Pat just didn't like it so Geno had to stop doing it and beg for her forgiveness. But I think this was just an excuse to get out of playing the Huskies so the Vols did get their asses kicked anyomore.

JS

Reaction Score
LINK

Nothing new here. It kind of bothers me that the she leaves the allegation hanging out there.
Very, very irritating -- the continued refusal to be specific, yet the insistence on periodically surfacing the vague accusations.

And the insistence of some writers on being "neutral" on them -- which gives them more credence than they deserve -- rather than pointing out that, after going through the "appropriate channels," Ms. Summit failed to make her case.

I'm long since sick of it.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
From the book - "I thought we needed to send a message that we didn't want a game that wasn't played in the right spirit."

So there it is. Auriemma didn't genuflect to St Pat before the game and he actually made fun of her. Reason enough. :p

I still maintain that Summitt's real reasons never got to the NCAA, either because she couldn't prove them, she discovered they were false, or because she knew they would be made public.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
What is hysterical is that the TN board posters have made the same arguments/comments that are presented here - that the article was one-sided, avoided facts or did not mention other issues, that Voepel/ESPN are merely stirring the pot, etc. (just from the TN perspective).

If both sides to the conflict are unhappy with the result of the article, does that make it a success?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
What is hysterical is that the TN board posters have made the same arguments/comments that are presented here - that the article was one-sided, avoided facts or did not mention other issues, that Voepel/ESPN are merely stirring the pot, etc. (just from the TN perspective).

If both sides to the conflict are unhappy with the result of the article, does that make it a success?
Only from a marketing stand point.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
-Like reading the retelling of sensational rape charges against a Duke Lacrosse player, without bothering to mention if due process later demonstrated they were true, or merely charges drummed up for personal gain based upon shameless falsehood.
- "Success?" Successful merely as sensational journalism? Maybe.
- But still, somehow it just doesn't seem right.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Uconn fans are looking for the truth. The FACTS are that accusations were made by Summit via the SEC and the NCAA said only one, a secondary violation was punishable. Tennessee fans are looking for her to mention innuendo and unproven accusations.

I can't believe you pay to read that crap.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Uconn fans are looking for the truth. The FACTS are that accusations were made by Summit via the SEC and the NCAA said only one, a secondary violation was punishable. Tennessee fans are looking for her to mention innuendo and unproven accusations.

I can't believe you pay to read that crap.
their subject lines are intriguing

CL82

Reaction Score
"Tennessee is on its way to the ash heap of history "

Tennessee has played a tough schedule, is ranked #8 and will probably end up with 6-7 losses. Hardly "ash heap" territory.
Well if that's acceptable in Knoxville now, I'm happy for them. I'd watch the trend line though.

CL82

Reaction Score
From the book - "I thought we needed to send a message that we didn't want a game that wasn't played in the right spirit."

So there it is. Auriemma didn't genuflect to St Pat before the game and he actually made fun of her. Reason enough. :p

I still maintain that Summitt's real reasons never got to the NCAA, either because she couldn't prove them, she discovered they were false, or because she knew they would be made public.
Agree on the first point (that plus frustration from losing on and off the court) but disagree on the second. Pat through the kitchen sink at UConn and came up empty. Do you really think that she held back the good stuff while complaining about french fries and phantom rides?

Reaction Score
It always amazes me how holier-than-thou UTenn can sound..... when juxtaposed vs. us..... the facts say who the cleaner program has always been.... It is too bad that Pat felt the pressure after having the pie all to herself for so many years....
It will be ineresting to see how the Lady Vols do next year with Russell..... she isn't E Williams and she isnt Stewie..... but she will make a difference I am sure...... but U Tenn didn't do anything with the Class of '08 (?) who graduated last year..... 9 losses was not a stellar result for such a talented roster.....Geno and team has always developed their players well..... Looking down the road.... Go UConn!!!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Next year Russell, Harrison and Graves in the post. Carter, Simmons, Massengale at guards throw in Burdick and Tucker that will be a real good team.
Could be. You'll have the players for sure. Have to wait and see if the "team" is real good though.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
All the accusations for the most part were nothing else then Tenn fans stirring the pot which eventually led to Pat and some other Tenn people getting involved trying to did up dirt on UConn through the bulletion boards and newpapers, much of which was twisted to fit their assumptions of what really happened. Geno and UConn were challanging the LVs and it was becoming very apparent that Geno and UConn would pass Pat and Tenn out as the top program in WCBB. When EDD Caroline Doty and Maya Moore all announced they were coming to UConn the anger and rumors started. The LVS thought they would get Maya then the rumors started she was not going to Tenn then it was Caroline and EDD didnt like each other and one would go to Tenn and one to UConn. When EDD went to Tenn they painted a big rock for her (no mention of an NCAA violation) and a group of Tenn fans attended many of EDDs HS games. The last announcement was EDD commitment. It came on a Sunday and I recieved a call from a very popular Tenn poster who wished me congrats saying EDD would announce tomorrow shes going to UConn. When the headlines in Tenn announced EDD was coming to UConn the accusations and storytelling started. There was alot of hatred by Tenn people toward UConn and Geno and everybody who had anything to do with UConn. Former players, fans and anyone and everyone who was associated or a fan of UConn was dragged into the mess which eventually turned into the 37 page NCAA violation. Many of the accusations were false and made up stories. It was almost as if anybody who said anything againest UConn was taken seriously and all comments, accusations etc were thrown againest the wall to see what stuck. The only thing that stuck was the egg on Tenn and the SECs face. IMO it was nothing more then sour grapes. So the rivalry was cancelled and so it stands to this day and that just sums it up.

Reaction Score
TENN canceling the annual series and rivalry was a deliberate and malicious attempt to hurt UCONN and recruiting. They believed canceling the series would hurt UCONN with recruiting but in reality the exact opposite happened.

I believed canceling the series hurt TENN much more than UCONN and continues to hurt them to this day. Perhaps playing UCONN would have helped TENN make a final four which they were unable to do in the past 4 years.
You know what they say about Karma...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01