2024 Recruiting: - VJ Edgecombe receives offer from UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: VJ Edgecombe receives offer from UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Different positions. He’d be a 2 guard…we’re also recruiting Austin Schwartz and Billy Richmond at that spot but no visits set. Abraham more of a wing or a small ball 4…so more of an overlap with Howard and Betsey. I think the plan is Betsey and one of Abraham/Howard. Nowell and Ngongba seem to be stand alone recruits at their positions right now…which is probably why the staff is ALL over Nowell especially.

Richmond is definitely a SF and Edgecombe most likely is too. He's the best ballhandler of our SF offers but nowhere near where a guard should be. I think Abraham/Edgecombe/Richmond/Howard/Betsey are all being recruited for the wing. That 3/4 spot that is essentially the same role in our system. Maybe trying to fill 2 schollies.

They are all pretty similar players. Good defenders, low-usage. Play a lot from the corners. Effecient and know their role.

Swartz is an entirely different player. Extremely ball dominant with a versatile scoring package. 0 of the other players profile that way.

Other than Swartz, I think we're just not interested in a pure SG in this class.

Reaction Score
I see 4 commits in this class and leaving the remaining spots for portal players to fill specific needs based on draft entries and other departures.

Reaction Score
Richmond is definitely a SF and Edgecombe most likely is too. He's the best ballhandler of our SF offers but nowhere near where a guard should be. I think Abraham/Edgecombe/Richmond/Howard/Betsey are all being recruited for the wing. That 3/4 spot that is essentially the same role in our system. Maybe trying to fill 2 schollies.

They are all pretty similar players. Good defenders, low-usage. Play a lot from the corners. Effecient and know their role.

Swartz is an entirely different player. Extremely ball dominant with a versatile scoring package. 0 of the other players profile that way.

Other than Swartz, I think we're just not interested in a pure SG in this class.
Makes sense re: Swartz…but Edgecombe/Richmond seem closer to a “3rd guard” type than a guy who can play a small ball 4 like a Betsey/Abraham/Howard. Betsey and Abraham especially. There’s obviously some interchangeability here regardless.

Reaction Score
Makes sense re: Swartz…but Edgecombe/Richmond seem closer to a “3rd guard” type than a guy who can play a small ball 4 like a Betsey/Abraham/Howard. Betsey and Abraham especially. There’s obviously some interchangeability here regardless.

I could give you that for Edgecombe. Definitely not Richmond. He's a 6'6 200lb SF/PF. Doesn't do anything like a guard... barely touches the ball. Half of his touches are post-ups or putbacks and the rest are corner 3s. Barely handles the ball at all.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If VJ Edgecombe doesn't immediately make you think of Vernon Giscombe you are probably under 50 years old.
I remember Vern being more of an outside shooter. I don't feel like he had the same elevation or aggression to the basket.

Edgecombe is going to be special. I'd love to see him in a Husky uniform.

Reaction Score
I could give you that for Edgecombe. Definitely not Richmond. He's a 6'6 200lb SF/PF. Doesn't do anything like a guard... barely touches the ball. Half of his touches are post-ups or putbacks and the rest are corner 3s. Barely handles the ball at all.
Makes sense. One of the recruiting services had him listed as a PG which is obviously way off then. In my head he’s been sort of a combo guard based off that.

Reaction Score
Same. He lived on my floor in Ellsworth. He was a good dude.
Karl Hobbs was on that team. The Huskies had some good players back then but didn’t have a coaching staff nearly as good as we have now or under Calhoun. It’s amazing to see where the program is now if you were a fan going to games before 1986.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It doesn't take a lot of guts to say UConn should want a top 20 composite player who is a borderline 5-star recruit and has prototypical 2G size.

But yeah, let's do it and get this kid. Seems smooth and refined getting to the rim. For me that's an indication of a kid who's been playing ball his whole life and knows how to use fades, faints, jab steps, change of pace, etc to get his points. And he never seems hurried or worried that he's at the wrong spot. Takes it in stride and gets it done. Efficient.

Reaction Score
Ross's teammate. Another offer making me think we might be on the outs with Howard.

#16 composite in his class. I have notes from an old game I'll post soon, but I recall the announcers saying that he shot 45% from three during his HS season. SIGN ME UP.
"Ross's teammate. Another offer making me think we might be on the outs with Howard."
OR, maybe he's heard from Ross how great it would be if he joined Ross next year so they could go for a THREEPEAT!
Edit: sorry to repeat some things others said but posted my comment after reading 429's expert summary.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I didn't. Is he comparing them as players or riffing that their last name's have an identical syllable?
Lol that didn't even occur to me.

Reaction Score
I played against him in night basketball. He hacked me in the act and raised his hand. Made my day because he argued every call. Made one out of two.
That's why he raised his hand. Knew 1 for 2 was better than giving you two or three on the shot............

Reaction Score
I didn't. Is he comparing them as players or riffing that their last name's have an identical syllable?
I'm old enough to know he was riffing on their last names.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
VJ can only hope to have as nice a head of hair as Vern.

Reaction Score
I really appreciate your scouting reports. They are well done. Thanks

Really next level stuff. The level of detail is definitely not seen on message boards or even by the recruiting sites.

Pretty sure Facey is an alum too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog