Vitale "Says Huskies Bounce Back" | The Boneyard

Vitale "Says Huskies Bounce Back"

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I love Vitale -- I really do, I think he's done a lot for the sport -- but his written work is so free of substance it literally makes me laugh. I was actually chuckling as I read that, from the attention-grabbing opener ("I was recently having dinner out with a couple of buddies. The conversation turned to college basketball" -- no kidding, you discuss college basketball with your friends?) to the lack of a single statistic, to the 4-line write-up for each team.

It's like when Larry King would free-associate for USA Today once a week. (http://snltranscripts.jt.org/96/96rlarryking1.phtml)

I really hope Vitale doesn't get paid for this; I hope their agreement just says that Vitale gets paid for his TV work but ESPN.com will publish anything he writes.

Reaction Score
I love Vitale -- I really do, I think he's done a lot for the sport -- but his written work is so free of substance it literally makes me laugh. I was actually chuckling as I read that, from the attention-grabbing opener ("I was recently having dinner out with a couple of buddies. The conversation turned to college basketball" -- no kidding, you discuss college basketball with your friends?) to the lack of a single statistic, to the 4-line write-up for each team.

It's like when Larry King would free-associate for USA Today once a week. (http://snltranscripts.jt.org/96/96rlarryking1.phtml)

I really hope Vitale doesn't get paid for this; I hope their agreement just says that Vitale gets paid for his TV work but ESPN.com will publish anything he writes.

Vitale is, and has been for a long time, a tv personality. I don't know why you are expecting him to write a substantive article. The fact that he gets clicks, and gets articles posted to message boards like this, is the reason he is published on ESPN. It's not because he has some great writing talent.

Reaction Score
The guy is so old his hands probably hurt from typing too much, so he keeps his written insights to a minimum.
Still managed to get his "diaper dandy" comment in there though.

Reaction Score
The guy is so old his hands probably hurt from typing too much, so he keeps his written insights to a minimum.
Still managed to get his "diaper dandy" comment in there though.

I can't imagine he actually sits down and types these "columns." I would assume he shoots the s___ for a couple minutes with some 20-something flunky who then bangs out a few paragraphs.

Reaction Score
I can't imagine he actually sits down and types these "columns." I would assume he shoots the s___ for a couple minutes with some 20-something flunky who then bangs out a few paragraphs.

Yeah that was a slightly sarcastic comment. No way he writes them himself. I'd like to see the facial expressions of the guy who does though. I envision a constant head shake for the entirety of the typing while muttering to themselves "this is not awesome baby"

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
"Should contend for the Top 25"

NO.

Should win ring number 5. This team is LOADED. Top 20 all season long and cutting down nets in April.

Why stop there? No prediction of beating the Lakers or 76ers?

Reaction Score
"Should contend for the Top 25"

NO.

Should win ring number 5. This team is LOADED. Top 20 all season long and cutting down nets in April.

There was a lot of "best back court in the country" pre-season talk on here last year.

Reaction Score
We all know that this team is deep and that KO is going to have them playing very good to excellent defense.

Take a look at what our projected starting 5 averaged in terms of scoring in college last year. Miller 16.8, Gibbs, 16.3, Purvis 11.1, Hamilton 10.9 and Brimah 9.1. That's 64 points a game that they averaged last season, an awful lot of firepower. Then there is Jalen Adams who is far better than many people realize.

My point is that if the chemistry is good, this team should contend for a title rather than a spot in the top 25. We lost Boat but added Miller, Gibbs, Enosch and Adams. Veteran leadership is huge in college and we may have the most experienced starting 5 of any contending team in the country.

I admit that my enthusiasm is through the roof after seeing Adams play in person. The kid is that special of a ballplayer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I met him at a Spring Training game this year, he was very nice and as I mentioned before, thought we "needed some players badly". I was suprrised, he is quite frail and Howie Stump the Schwab personality from ESPN was walking around with him, kind of helping him with crowd control and getting around.

Nice to see he changed his tune.

Reaction Score
I met him at a Spring Training game this year, he was very nice and as I mentioned before, thought we "needed some players badly". I was suprrised, he is quite frail and Howie Stump the Schwab personality from ESPN was walking around with him, kind of helping him with crowd control and getting around.

Nice to see he changed his tune.

Well, he probably changed his tune because we got those "[badly needed players]".

Without Gibbs and Miller, we were having to count on a lot going right -- Brimah improving his strength and rebounding; Facey having some semblance of a clue; Purvis cutting down turnovers and playing within the offense; Adams acclimating to the college game from Day 1. Now we have a lot more sure things and a lot more options in case the uncertainties break the wrong way.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Vitale is, and has been for a long time, a tv personality. I don't know why you are expecting him to write a substantive article. The fact that he gets clicks, and gets articles posted to message boards like this, is the reason he is published on ESPN. It's not because he has some great writing talent.

I guess my response would be, duh.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
And we definitely had one of the best back courts in the country.

I bet we had some of the best back court violations in the country.

Reaction Score
You can catch him in siesta key having breakfast at the broken egg with headshots he will sign for you.

Reaction Score
This definitely was a typical weak Vitale article...debated on posting it because it really says nothing but...at least the UConn name is out there in a good light.

Reaction Score
Well, he probably changed his tune because we got those "[badly needed players]".

Without Gibbs and Miller, we were having to count on a lot going right -- Brimah improving his strength and rebounding; Facey having some semblance of a clue; Purvis cutting down turnovers and playing within the offense; Adams acclimating to the college game from Day 1. Now we have a lot more sure things and a lot more options in case the uncertainties break the wrong way.
He wouldn't have been the only one to question our roster because Gibbs and Miller changed everything. Without them most pundits would have us out of the tourney preseason based on last year's roster. Adams replacing Boat would not be enough. The 2 things we needed we got. But Dick means well and if his assistant writes these little blurbs who cares? As the season gets closer the know it all "experts" will weigh in and I expect the same thing that has happened in the past, that is they will be late to the party.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
If we can all agree that Gibbs & Adams > Boat & TSam and Miller > Lubin, then everything else is gravy: Purvis15 > Purvis14, Hamilton15 > Hamilton14, Brimah15 > Brimah14, Facey15 > Facey14, Omar15 > Omar14, Cassell15 > Cassell14, Nolan15 = Nolan14 = Nolan13= Nolan12.

The only thing we really need to see is if we can upgrade Lenehan as a crowd favorite. I think we can.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
There was a lot of "best back court in the country" pre-season talk on here last year.
and if RP was more consistent UConn would have been the best but overall I would say among the best fit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom