Vital to UConn

Discussion in 'UConn Men's Basketball' started by gwhuskyfan, Apr 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pnow15

pnow15 Previously pnete

Not really. If your backups don't think they could be starters, I will guarantee they will be lousy backups.
    Calhoun's whole coaching career(and Ollie') is that everyone has to earn his minutes in practice.

filthy beast and WideRight! like this.
  2. tcf15

tcf15

From another thread:

Huskies4ever and WideRight! like this.
  3. superjohn

superjohn

We don't need him to be a star, we desperately need guard depth for next season and CV provides that. He's a very good shooter and competitive as hell. He was being pursued by Louisville, Iowa, Bama and Marquette and was 1st team all conference in arguably the toughest high school league in the country. He isn't some scrub who will just be taking up a roster spot. I'll take a gritty kid with a work ethic who demands competitiveness from his teammates any day of the week.

4. tcf15

tcf15

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  5. rip7774

rip7774

He was also committed to UNLV for a while so all the services forgot about him or didn't bump him up as they would an uncommitted kid or kid at one of their favored schools like Dook or Kentucky.

Read Corey Evans and the other quote, this kid has toughness and fire in spades. We need more of that! This class is incredible if we get Durham to be Durham and not hobbled by knee issues in college. If not still a great great class!

6. Excalibur

Excalibur

He's quicker than Austrie, but very slight of build. Think EJ Harrison with a really good jump shot.

Horatio and Dogbreath2U like this.
  7. Marat

Marat

And also UConn lacked the toughness characteristic last year. It seems like these freshman (Gilbert, Vital, and Diarra) will provide some of that needed toughness.

8. Tenspro2002

Tenspro2002

I like the sound of that.

Frankly, the loss of DHam will be "addition by subtraction" in the toughness department as well.

9. Mano

Mano Certified Bonehead

Boy if that doesn't sound exactly like one Jerome Dyson. That's an incredibly good thing if you ask me. One of my all time favorite players, eff the haters.

10. superjohn

superjohn

He's just as big as Austrie, with room to pack on more muscle. Austrie was pretty slight.

11. Silk31

Silk31 CA$$$HHHHH

Nice to see us be able to beat Louisville at something these days. Although I'm not so sure beating them out for SCJ is truly a win :D and also didn't we really want Synder after he re-opened his commitment?

Was happy to see them go, the KFC Yum Center was a House of Horrors for us, but KO has turned the same recruiting trail path into a similar house of horrors for Pitino and Co.

12. CL82

CL82 It's going to be ok - calm down and enjoy the ride

"...and don't even tell me that you are thinking about going to that stripper school, because that is not going to happen."

jminziii and Huskies4ever like this.
  13. tcf15

tcf15

From a 247 article a while back:

Vital can definitely play in the ACC, 247Sports analyst Andrew Slater said.

“There’s been a ton of interest,” Slater said. “He’s more of a combo guard. An excellent three-point shooter. He has a very high motor and can really defense and keep opposing guards out of the lane.”

14. Chin Diesel

Chin Diesel Power of Love

If all he does is push everyone in practice for PT and make it clear that he's going to out hustle everyone for PT, the team and program will be better for it.

Moreso the front court than the backcourt it seems like there's minutes to be had by taking them via practice and improvement and no one has stepped over another player in the rotation.

That type of positive competition makes everyone better and makes everyone play harder.

15. puppygenius

puppygenius

16. Dogbreath2U

Dogbreath2U

I hope that he can become a great defender, while we're wishing. What a great signing! He hopefully fills the hole we have and then may be be better than many think.

You have got to give it to Kevin Ollie 100% for this one. The Mom Factor... The KO Edge! Or one of them.

Ricker likes this.
  17. JMick

JMick

Called this as soon as I heard about the decommit from UNLV. Made too much sense not to happen.

UConnStats likes this.
  18. willie99

willie99

things are trending up around here

landing key recruits, Kemba lighting it up, KO telling recruits he's staying, the ladies do their thing, we get to win another Olympic gold medal this summer and our football team is going to win 9 games

19. eireman

eireman

he'matured greatly over the last 2 yrs.....off the court he is a pleasure to converse with.....on the court something happens...super competitive and a consummate irritant to opponents.....also he likes to rebound and comes out ahead more often than not against the trees.....have seen him more than hold his own against the likes of adams, mitchell of louisville, and bruce brown who i thought was the best player in new england..he gets under your fingernails much like the little guard fr pc who terrorized tyliek for a couple of halves.....he has range to 25 ft and dunk easily on breakaways..his handle gets him where he wants to go but can get too high at times.....defensively he can be beaten off the dribble but more than holds his own.....needs to put on 15 pounds of muscle.i expect that ko's influence on

20. CTBasketball

CTBasketball Arguably the Perfect Man...

Some good news finally.

We needed a nylon torcher!

huskyharry likes this.
  21. Chief00

Chief00

Actually, he has known Bunkey - just to correct the record :)

Huskyforlife likes this.
  22. BUConn10

BUConn10 Artist formerly known as BUHusky10

Glad to have you on board CV. Seems like a good outside shooter based on the footage over seen of him recently, which as w all know was something we desperately needed going into this season. Once thing o want able to find though is much footage of him handling the back of pushing it up court in transition in the videos over seen. Guards in our system need to be able to handle the ball under pressure, anyone have a good video showing some handle?

23. CGarr

CGarr

24. 3rdbass

3rdbass

He looks great in Husky Blue!!!!

Huskies4ever and uconnell like this.
  25. Kitaman

Kitaman

Glad we re-upped on a NYC baller. Was getting concerned about no rep beyond Facey. I also like that he appears to be for now here for 3-4 years.

Great get, especially for program stability!

26. reddevilhusky

reddevilhusky

Oh please tell me he photoshopped his head on to Phil Nolan's body. That would be too good.

Rico444 likes this.
  27. gtcam

gtcam

To UC99041 - after seeing all the things written about this kid over the last 2 years - you need him to be an elite ranked player t play at UConn????
    I am hoping this kid develops into a UConn Carl Krauser (Pitt) type guard who got under everyone's skin - you hated him but wished he played for your team.
    I think it needs to ba a prerequisite that EVERY recruits Mom has a dinner at KO's house before leaving the state
    KO is so genuine he makes all others pale in comparative - sometimes folks are charmed by the snake oil salesmen like the Squid, the Picker, Pitino, etc

28. 80shusky

80shusky

In that case I stand corrected. Sorry for the inaccuracy of my post.

29. Matrim55

Matrim55

Got 2 NYC ballers in this class, and both look like 4-year players given their skillset & athletic profile.

That's a very good thing given the likes of Diallo & Richards are targets for 2017, and others will surely pop up in 2018 and beyond.

JMick, WideRight!, uchusky32 and 3 others like this.
  30. tcf15

tcf15

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.