Vital/Larrier/Anderson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Vital/Larrier/Anderson

Reaction Score
AND WHOSE bleeping FAULT IS THAT?

And in 2015-16 he tried to have Sterling Gibbs play PG. That didn't work out well either. Roster construction is always an issue.

Reaction Score
Texas Tech started these 5 today:

Keenan Evans, Texas Tech, Point Guard
Justin Gray, Texas Tech, Small Forward
Norense Odiase, Texas Tech, Center (BK)
Jarrett Culver, Texas Tech, Combo Guard
Zhaire Smith, Texas Tech, Shooting Guard

Ken Pom #10.

and playing for the last month without a preseason 3rd Team All-Big12 player due to injury. He was also a 3*.

Here is the thing. That program has a great staff right down to the S & C coach. With 3* stars the work ethic has to be second to none. I respect Beard a lot. The kids are tough as nails.

My point is there really isn't an excuse for what we have experienced the last 2 years.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
These 3 players are horrible basketball players what do you expect.

Reaction Score
How ironic that our Coach was a veteran NBA point guard. This is the saddest indictment of all.

If that is not his strength then we are certainly screwed.
Actually the irony is that LeBron led his team in assists. Any way for the sake of repetition who is the point guard in this team?

Reaction Score
Or
If the bigs knew how to make themselves available they would get the ball
JA and CV are usually looking inside but it does no good when the bigs are not in the position to or want to receive a ball
If a big makes themselves a target by working hard to get position they will get the ball
It doesn't help when your bigs aren't that big and are outweighed by 30 lbs, out muscled, underaged by 3 years and inexperienced
Or when the prodigy Carlton travels every time he gets the ball center lane with his back to the rim

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
If the bigs knew how to make themselves available they would get the ball
JA and CV are usually looking inside but it does no good when the bigs are not in the position to or want to receive a ball
If a big makes themselves a target by working hard to get position they will get the ball
It doesn't help when your bigs aren't that big and are outweighed by 30 lbs, out muscled, underaged by 3 years and inexperienced
I was at the UCF game. Two rows behind the UCF bench. What you said is 100% correct. Saw it live the whole game. The way the defense's have been the last three games, they cannot get the ball in. Fishy made a comment saying he didn't see any adjustment in that game. He was also correct. I was baffled the whole game.
That is what we have been seeing for some time now. Both of you hit the nail squarely on the head.

Reaction Score
I was at the UCF game. Two rows behind the UCF bench. What you said is 100% correct. Saw it live the whole game. The way the defense's have been the last three games, they cannot get the ball in. Fishy made a comment saying he didn't see any adjustment in that game. He was also correct. I was baffled the whole game.
That is what we have been seeing for some time now. Both of you hit the nail squarely on the head.
What I see is the bigs are fake bigs offensively. This is on Ollie 100%. When the oh so predicatable post up to the foul line occurs, the D doesn't care because the big doesn't get the ball 80% of the time and the other 20% it's like hot potato and panic ... they can't get it out of their hands fast enough. They don't turn and present, they don't/can't shoot, there is no offensive go to movre to draw the D to collapse... it's just a token offense with no real intent to score other than on the wing or top of the key. If I'm KO I'd spent the next month force feeding the ball into the high and low post, and teaching the bigs just 2 offensive moves over and over until they become credible threats. I'd ban the 3 and force then to score inside the arc until they learn that you can't score outside until you are a balanced threat to score inside. The lack of basic player fundamentals being taught is down right terrifying.

Reaction Score
The only prerequisite for being a ballstopper is that your offense actually has ball movement to stop. We don't. That's the sad part - Larrier, Vital and Anderson are doing exactly what the staff wants them to do in terms of isolating/attacking. They're supposed to catch the ball and make a play. Those three aren't playmakers and should never be asked to create.

This is how you get an offense that ranks in the 350's across the board - you ask your players to do things they're terrible at. Square peg, round hole. I get it, we're short on talent. We won't be a great offensive team regardless of what we run but there's still no reason for us to be this bad.

Our offense is 90% pick and roll and isolation attacking. It's way too simple, it doesn't challenge the defense enough. Our PnR is inefficient because our bigs aren't threats and we have no weakside action to occupy the defense. Jalen comes off every PnR (if he's lucky enough to not be trapped or hard-hard hedged) and faces a set defense with 10 eyes on him because there's no other movement. He's gifted enough to slice through the defense a few times a game for a bucket and has to settle for a lot of mid range jumpers.

For once can we set a weakside fade during a PnR to get the defense moving? Can we have Vital set a downscreen for Carlton as Carlton comes up for his high screen? Ya know, simple stuff that every NBA runs? That screen by Vital forces Carlton's man to be late enough so he can't trap/hedge vs Jalen. It also occupies Vital's man. It creates action that forces the defense to work and react. That's what leads to defenses being broken down and better ball movement. Can we also run some kind of screen-the-screener action? Just once? Larrier should live off of mid-range curls like Rip and Ray used to. He's tall enough and athletic enough to shoot over nearly every defender he's matched up against. Just catch and shoot from 16'. Don't put it on the floor. Give Vital a dozen floppy sets to come off each game.

Our offense is so simplistic it's embarrassing. Basketball isn't rocket science. This is basic stuff that every team should do. This group of kids also really need a base motion offense. They need to have the offense/movement create the looks for them, we aren't talented enough to have kids create on their own outside of Jalen.

Reaction Score
To try and compare any of these guys to players from the past is laughable.

They would get so little time under Calhoun. And would promptly get "the talk" at the end of the season if any of them were thinking of coming back.
No shooters or ball handlers exist on this team.

Just a couple of average to below average scorers. Struggling to score 60 a game should be a tip off.

Reaction Score
Point totals against P5/BE/AAC teams this year:

67 (in a 35 point loss)
64 (in a 25 point loss)
88 (in a 2OT loss)

That's 17 games.
We reached 70 points 3 times.
We reached 64 points 7 times, of which 2 were blowout losses.

Who wants to watch this?

Reaction Score
You guys have never seen Antwoine Anderson play...obviously! Google his name and see what comes up...I'll do you one better...check out YouTube videos of him...playing against way harder defenders. The reason why you've never seen him play...I'll give you 4 names: Adams, Vital, Larrier & Ollie!

Reaction Score
Poor Jalen.

Really. He's clearly incredibly talented. With competent teammates, he might have had a special career at Uconn...he couldn't even have that.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
You guys have never seen Antwoine Anderson play...obviously! Google his name and see what comes up...I'll do you one better...check out YouTube videos of him...playing against way harder defenders. The reason why you've never seen him play...I'll give you 4 names: Adams, Vital, Larrier & Ollie!

His three point shooting has been terrible against worse competition

Reaction Score

Where are you going here?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I didn’t say that, but its a big gap.

And even boat his sr year was clearly better.
I love Boat but
Was Boat 1st team AAC?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
AND WHOSE bleeping FAULT IS THAT?
Gilbert's shoulder?
wpid-photo-20-aug-2013-1242.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors