Visions of Sugarplums-Is UConn Back on the Table for Big 12? | The Boneyard

Visions of Sugarplums-Is UConn Back on the Table for Big 12?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We know how this ends....
image.jpg

Reaction Score
We need to take MAJOR steps with our offense if we want to make a good impression on that conference...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It is noteworthy how much value talking heads place on current football performance rather than academics and demographics that many of us think are (or should be) the real driver.

I wonder how much of an impact it has among university presidents.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
It certainly doesn't hurt your B1G or ACC prospects to be in any Big XII expansion conversations. This kind of buzz, heck any kind of buzz like this, is a good thing.

Reaction Score
The PRIZE should go to the University that can build a Brand & expand the marginal revenue for the collective entity. A Athletic Department that shows consistent excellence across many revenue sports. Particularly Football. And not gross repeated incompetence. Plus be a Global University that raises the profile of all.

B12, as stated, will expand. And this talk is good for UConn. B1G should note some obvious points.

That's not how the ACC did expansion. And RUTGERS ?

Reaction Score
Uconn and USF if they expand, its really pretty obvious to me, with UC being in the discussion. Yes BYU has credentials but WVU needs a travel partner and FLA recruiting. Question is, if it happens, does UConn want that travel or stick around for a B1G or ACC possibility.

Reaction Score
What you want from this is the notion of a serious and well vetted consideration by the Big XII being floated and then the ACC and B1G having to analyze and react to protect their Northeast/NYC/NE flank.

Reaction Score
Uconn and USF if they expand, its really pretty obvious to me, with UC being in the discussion. Yes BYU has credentials but WVU needs a travel partner and FLA recruiting. Question is, if it happens, does UConn want that travel or stick around for a B1G or ACC possibility.

If the Big 12 expands...it should be UConn, UCF, USF and UC. I think ECU and Temple might want to join, too.

Reaction Score
The PRIZE should go to the University that can build a Brand & expand the marginal revenue for the collective entity. A Athletic Department that shows consistent excellence across many revenue sports. Particularly Football. And not gross repeated incompetence. Plus be a Global University that raises the profile of all.

B12, as stated, will expand. And this talk is good for UConn. B1G should note some obvious points.

That's not how the ACC did expansion. And RUTGERS ?
I believe the Big 12 is going to take Houston and probably USF. I believe Herman had some insight and that was one of the reasons he decided to stay. This would provide another in state Rivalry game in Texas as well as make geographical sense and Florida would provide them with an in for recruiting in Florida. The goal of the ACC was to capture the whole eastern seaboard which they pretty much accomplished by bringing in Pitt and Syracuse (and Syracuse provides them with the TV market). With Rutgers and the Big10, it was a great move by them-they get into a big NY tv market and at the same time increase their exposure to recruiting in NJ which is a great state for High School football.
Unfortunately, there is little chance of the Big10 (we are not in the AAU) or Big12 taking us as it makes no sense geographically and while you can argue there are as many UConn fans in NY then say Rutgers or Syracuse-we aren't NYs team and CT isn't a big TV market or High School football recruiting state. Our best shot is if the ACC wants to create probably the best basketball conference ever while taking a potentially solid football program that doesn't have a big fan base. I believe part of the reason for scheduling BC and Syracuse is to show the ACC how big of a draw those games are and that they can actually recover their money and possibly make money by bringing in UConn.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I believe the Big 12 is going to take Houston and probably USF. I believe Herman had some insight and that was one of the reasons he decided to stay.
Bringing in Houston would be about the dumbest thing the B12 could do. They already have full penetration in that market. It would serve to further regionalize an already geographically challenged conference. I'm not saying that UConn is a good fit, but Houston, Rice or SMU should be non-starters for the B12.

Reaction Score
I believe the Big 12 is going to take Houston and probably USF. I believe Herman had some insight and that was one of the reasons he decided to stay.
My info is that Herman stayed because he's the favorite of the poobahs to be the next coach at Texas. He's biding his time. When the opening comes, he'll leave Houston. There's no guarantee Houston will be added to the BigXII. With Oklahoma in the final four, the hustle to expand may actually slow down.

Reaction Score
It is noteworthy how much value talking heads place on current football performance rather than academics and demographics that many of us think are (or should be) the real driver.

I wonder how much of an impact it has among university presidents.

Yea I would guess its a much bigger deal for the media than it is for those actually involved in conference realignment.

Reaction Score
We say yes before the question is finished. We already travel in this conference to Texas and Oklahoma. The "travel" argument to the Big12 is the silliest of all. Do I believe we would be better fits in the B1G or ACC? Yes I do, but beggars can't be choosers and make no mistake every G5 school is a beggar.

Reaction Score
MarkT said:
I believe the Big 12 is going to take Houston and probably USF. I believe Herman had some insight and that was one of the reasons he decided to stay. This would provide another in state Rivalry game in Texas as well as make geographical sense and Florida would provide them with an in for recruiting in Florida. The goal of the ACC was to capture the whole eastern seaboard which they pretty much accomplished by bringing in Pitt and Syracuse (and Syracuse provides them with the TV market). With Rutgers and the Big10, it was a great move by them-they get into a big NY tv market and at the same time increase their exposure to recruiting in NJ which is a great state for High School football. Unfortunately, there is little chance of the Big10 (we are not in the AAU) or Big12 taking us as it makes no sense geographically and while you can argue there are as many UConn fans in NY then say Rutgers or Syracuse-we aren't NYs team and CT isn't a big TV market or High School football recruiting state. Our best shot is if the ACC wants to create probably the best basketball conference ever while taking a potentially solid football program that doesn't have a big fan base. I believe part of the reason for scheduling BC and Syracuse is to show the ACC how big of a draw those games are and that they can actually recover their money and possibly make money by bringing in UConn.

You are way behind in this conversation. The Big Ten is expanding east, they say so publicly. We are closer geographically than any other school they might add so geography makes perfect sense. We are very close to New Jersey and PA which are B1G states.

UConn isn't AAU but neither is Nebraska. UConn has made tons of academic alliances with Big Ten schools recently.

Our market is medium to large and is valuable as UConn completely owns it's market. No school captures the New York market on its own. They need us to solidify that and develop fans in New England, which is entirely untapped (BC has no fans).

I'm not sure what will happen but we aren't doomed to an ACC or bust future. At this point I'd consider the Big Ten more likely than the ACC.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
If UCF stayed good in football, they had a chance . USF has to compete Bucs for fans.
UCF brings in Central Florida with nothing but Magic.

Expansion is likely if only to take some of the steam out of the AAC, which is blossoming quicker than anyone though possible.

Reaction Score
The worst thing that can happen to B1Gs East expansion push is losing UConn to the Big12. UConn is the only large scale viable football program available in the Northeast, and they cannot solidify their market position in the lucrative Northeast markets with only Rutgers. If the ACC had any sense they would preempt the B1G and lock up UConn and Temple and they would have a dominant hold on the Northeast markets with Cuse, Pitt, BC, UConn and Temple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom