Virginia WBB head coach Tina Thompson has been fired | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Virginia WBB head coach Tina Thompson has been fired

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Virginia competes in 13 Women's sports and most of them make the NCAAT in their sports including Women's Swimming and Diving who should win the title this year. While the AD is a former Basketball player and I am sure absolutely wants to get Virginia to be a regular visitor to the NCAAT, she also has to balance the focus of the other top coaches she has vs. the money she would have to spend on not only the HC but the assistants as well. The theory is to compete for titles at P5 schools and Virginia is doing that vs. other schools who clearly sink all their money into 1 sport and give mere pittances to the other sports just to keep the school eligible for Men's money from Football and MCBB.

Virginia will not be breaking the bank for any coach. Their Athletic program is one of the model programs in all of College Sports, right up there with Stanford. By Contrast, most of the SEC schools field 10 or 11 women's sports, few with the shear number of successful programs that UVA has.

I have no horse in this race other than to say the usual average salary of $700k for P5 coaches should suffice to find a very good coach who can make this program their own.

Reaction Score
Speaking of breaking the bank are WBB coaches worth the money they’re starting to get? More revenue streams must be on the horizon. Maybe TV money is going to be allotted differently?

Reaction Score
Speaking of breaking the bank are WBB coaches worth the money they’re starting to get? More revenue streams must be on the horizon. Maybe TV money is going to be allotted differently?
Yes. You better believe if schools are paying their coaches 2-3 mil they are finding new revenue streams. Companies are starting to invest in women athletes more and more.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Dawn isn’t going to Virginia. Her entire family has moved to SC, she’s got a terrific contract, the #1 team in the nation that will start next season as a top 5 team. This isn’t a Kim Mulkey situation where she feels like SC doesn’t appreciate her. She gets pretty much whatever she wants for her team. I just don’t see it. Down the road? Maybe there would be a reason if things aren’t what they are right now. But I just don’t see it at this time.
I can't imagine Dawn leaving SC anytime soon. She's getting paid top dollar, has the strongest fan support in the country, and the athletic department has shown their commitment to women's basketball. Plus her whole family is there and she gets royalty treatment anywhere she goes. Nowhere else offers a remotely comparable package right now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom