Virginia WBB head coach Tina Thompson has been fired

Reaction Score
Virginia is a step up from Marquette

1. It’s power 5 AND in the ACC
2. She’ll get a pay raise
3. Virginia program wasn’t a bottom feeder like they have been the last 4 years
4. Maybe you can persuade Mir to stay
5. The right person will recruit higher level players than Marquette
6. Virginia administration is motivated and feeling the heat of Va Tech turnaround

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Debbie Ryan was an institution and had great players that have gone on to be coaches

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Would you consider Virginia an upgrade over Marquette? If so, I would hire Megan Duffy. She's done a great job at Marquette. Moving on to Virginia she would be able to get better players. Now if I'm Megan, I'm not sure Virginia is enough of a high profile job. Might be better to stay at Marquette until she gets a better offer.
Well, as answered above, resoundingly yes, Virginia is an upgrade over Marquette AND THAT IS AN ISSUE. If the Big East wants to be considered a basketball conference like their Men’s teams, they have develop AND PAY their top coaches. I like Duffy but am a bit disappointed with her recruiting thus far (granted it’s only year 3). That said Marquette should do all it can to keep her as I think she’s better than her predecessor who has yet to make any head way at Penn State and seems to have her own “people skills issues”.
Meg carries herself very well, seems to know the X’s and O’s And just needs to up her recruiting to be a regular NCAAT participant.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Not a surprise at all. A blind man could see this coming. She's been there 4 years and still had the worst record in the ACC at 2-16. When you look at what Kim Mulkey has done at LSU in only 11 months, unranked in April to #6 in the country at 25-4 the following March, it shines a poor light on Thomson and her program. Virginia has a an honorable and well respected WBB legacy. Lest we forget that's where Dawn Staley cut her basketball chops (1988-1992).

Carnac

Reaction Score
It's hard to imagine Staley leaving for anywhere, given what she's built up at SC. Although before it happened, I never would've believed Mulkey would leave Baylor for LSU.
But she did, and look at her now. From unranked in April when she took over to #6 in the country at 25-4 in only 11 months. That's impressive any way you look at it. ;) I look for her to field a better team this coming season as she adds more players of HER choice to the roster. LSU will be a mainstay in the top 10 as long as Mulkey is there.

Reaction Score
Where's Mir going? She just transferred to UVa 8 weeks ago. For her sake I hope that decision wasn't based on a desire to be coached by Tina Thompson.
Good point. I just figured when there is a coaching change players are more likely to look at their options. The fact Mir just did might make her more likely to stick around for stability sake but in this crazy environment of free agency anything goes. Take nothing for granted.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Would you consider Virginia an upgrade over Marquette? If so, I would hire Megan Duffy. She's done a great job at Marquette. Moving on to Virginia she would be able to get better players. Now if I'm Megan, I'm not sure Virginia is enough of a high profile job. Might be better to stay at Marquette until she gets a better offer.
Duffy has familiarity with 2 Virginia players as Camryn Taylor and Taylor Valladay transferred from Marquette to Virginia. Could be a weird situation though.

Carnac

Reaction Score
My understanding is that UVA came pretty close to getting Dawn when Boyle left. Then SC made an offer she couldn’t refuse… essentially a contract for life (or as long as she wanted it).
Better known as a "Godfather offer". ;)

Carnac

Reaction Score
It's hard to imagine Staley leaving for anywhere, given what she's built up at SC. Although before it happened, I never would've believed Mulkey would leave Baylor for LSU.
Rest assure, Staley IS NOT going anywhere. ;) She is revered in the state of South Carolina. She's been given the keys to the city, she can go to any restaurant in Columbia and not pay. She has the number 1 program in the country and will continue to be a top 3 program for the foreseeable future. Her program generates $$$ and notoriety for the school.

1646367491954.png

She has no problem recruiting the top high school seniors in the country. They want to play for her. In another month, she'll have two national championships to her credit. (Remember I am a seer) Here's another reason Dawn is not leaving Columbia: Cashin’ in at South Carolina: Dawn Staley inks historic seven-year, $22.4 million contract. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m not sure that Dawn has a particularly good relationship with UVA. No details, but just a sense.
Dawn has an excellent relationship with the AD. The old AD didnt call Dawn 4 years ago to offer or even ask if she had any ideas who to talk to. I don’t know if Dawn got offended initially or not but some reporter asked her about it and from there people ran with it a little bit. I think Carla is the new AD and in fact Dawn interviewed her on podcast a couple of weeks ago. Other than that she has a great relationship with them. In fact she does something with a scholarship there.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

6. Virginia administration is motivated and feeling the heat of Va Tech turnaround

That last one. It's one thing for UVA to be behind Louisville, ND, the Triangle Schools and so forth, but to be behind VPI? I know that infuriates the fanbase.

Reaction Score
Dawn has an excellent relationship with the AD. The old AD didnt call Dawn 4 years ago to offer or even ask if she had any ideas who to talk to. I don’t know if Dawn got offended initially or not but some reporter asked her about it and from there people ran with it a little bit. I think Carla is the new AD and in fact Dawn interviewed her on podcast a couple of weeks ago. Other than that she has a great relationship with them. In fact she does something with a scholarship there.
Thanks for the clarification.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Duffy has familiarity with 2 Virginia players as Camryn Taylor and Taylor Valladay transferred from Marquette to Virginia. Could be a weird situation though.

As one of the resident ND observers and followers of Megan Duffy's coaching career, I've brought this suggestion up on other threads and boards (much to chagrin of some who worry she'd eventually rival her alma mater, ND). To add a few druthers:

- UVA is the kind of place Megan Duffy wants to be and is right in her wheel house. A place where you can combine athletics and high-level academics, attracting players who will realize/take advantage of the academics/reputation/connections while playing at a high level. And, yes, some kids can go pro.

- According to many reports, Duffy was one of top candidates for the Oklahoma job. And she really isn't a big Plains state presence (yet). Yeah, she'd be interested in UVA.

- Duffy has solid experience in the Mid-Atlantic region. During her playing days, ND was traversing the east. Her first two coaching gigs were in the east: learning the ropes from Kim Barnes Arrico at St. John's; and then helping to build the core group of players that Jonathan Tsipis was HC for at George Washington.

- She then went back to work for Arrico at Michigan and coached the guards (Katelynn Flaherty, most notably) before getting the HC gig at Miami of Ohio. Having Arrico and McGraw on the phone is a big positive and Duffy will make those calls.

- Marquette's key players are either grad students, seniors or upperclassmen. Might be time to leave while you're on top...

- The only yellow flag for me is the Taylor/Valladay situation. I can guess why Valladay left -- she was the #2 PG at Marquette behind King and that wasn't changing. But Taylor started, was on Big East teams and had developed well. Was it the allure of being coached by a WNBA great in Thompson? If so, maybe...but I didn't see much growth there. But if there was friction, that should be examined.

Having said all that, Duffy seems to like it in Marquette, she recently got married and her husband is a Midwestern guy. The AD is a former ND guy who knows her well. We'll see.

Reaction Score
Rest assure, Staley IS NOT going anywhere. ;) She is revered in the state of South Carolina. She's been given the keys to the city, she can go to any restaurant in Columbia and not pay. She has the number 1 program in the country and will continue to be a top 3 program for the foreseeable future. Her program generates $$$ and notoriety for the school.

View attachment 73953

She has no problem recruiting the top high school seniors in the country. They want to play for her. In another month, she'll have two national championships to her credit. (Remember I am a seer) Here's another reason Dawn is not leaving Columbia: Cashin’ in at South Carolina: Dawn Staley inks historic seven-year, $22.4 million contract. ;)

Someone here on the boneyard said something similar about Mulkey, and look how that turned out......

Carnac

Reaction Score
Someone here on the boneyard said something similar about Mulkey, and look how that turned out......
Apples to oranges here. Mulkey was at the end of her road and asking for things she knew Baylor was not going to give her. She was ready to leave and vice versa. Staley is getting EVERYTHING she's asked for. Baylor DID NOT perceive Mulkey the way SC does Dawn. Look below:

Reaction Score
Apples and oranges here. Mulkey was at the end of her road, and asking for things she knew Baylor was not going to give her. She was ready to leave. Staley is getting EVERYTHING she's asked for. Baylor DID NOT perceive Mulkey the way SC does Dawn. Look below:

Yeah, you're right. I remember reading the story about Mulkey and the tension with Baylor.

Reaction Score
Do you think she should've been given more time? She did nothing in those 4 years to suggest any kind of improvement was taking place. One more year would've just been more of the same IMO.
Technically she only had three years. But I would have given her another year or two to see what develops. Nobody knows what would have happened if she was given one more year or two. May have been the same or things may have improved. They gave Joanne Boyle seven years of mediocrity.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Technically she only had three years. But I would have given her another year or two to see what develops. Nobody knows what would have happened if she was given one more year or two. May have been the same or things may have improved. They gave Joanne Boyle seven years of mediocrity.
I have to disagree. When a coach craters a program, you have to move on. Same deal here w/ Washington and Wynn. Some wanted to see her get a 5th year. I was not one of those. Of course I can't possibly know for sure, because it didn't happen, but I have just about 100% confidence that she would not have turned a corner or shown any kind of significant improvement if she was still coaching in Seattle.

Virginia isn't my team, so it really doesn't matter to me, but IMO Thompson has been given ample time to show she's just not gonna get it done.

Reaction Score
I have to disagree. When a coach craters a program, you have to move on. Same deal here w/ Washington and Wynn. Some wanted to see her get a 5th year. I was not one of those. Of course I can't possibly know for sure, because it didn't happen, but I have just about 100% confidence that she would not have turned a corner or shown any kind of significant improvement if she was still coaching in Seattle.

Virginia isn't my team, so it really doesn't matter to me, but IMO Thompson has been given ample time to show she's just not gonna get it done.

Understandable. I still think that she wasn't give a decent chance. But that is the nature of the coaching game. Some programs you are given time to build and some you are not. You move on and hope the best for all parties.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom