Virginia WBB head coach Tina Thompson has been fired | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Virginia WBB head coach Tina Thompson has been fired

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Okay, here's a challenge. Name a coach who started off with 4 bad years, then turned it around in year 5. I don't even have a guess at a satisfactory example. To the best of my knowledge, coaches who are successful get it going sooner than that.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Okay, here's a challenge. Name a coach who started off with 4 bad years, then turned it around in year 5. I don't even have a guess at a satisfactory example. To the best of my knowledge, coaches who are successful get it going sooner than that.
Even if the wins aren't quite there they at least show some success in recruiting. Thompson's recruiting was terrible and was never going to improve in year 5 as a lame duck coach. That's why the AD and the university decided to cut their losses.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
If you rephrased that to "3 bad years," believe it or not, Geno would qualify:

1985–86Connecticut12–154–127th
1986–87Connecticut14–139–77th
1987–88Connecticut17–119–75th
1988–89Connecticut24–613–21stNCAA First Round

There was a mild but discernible upward trajectory in years 1-3, but really didn't look all the promising until the Huskies exploded in year four.

ETA: Charli Turner Thorne's newly retired ears were burning, because she's actually a decent example of the fifth year success story:

1996–97Arizona State9–193–159th
1997–98Arizona State10–176–12T-7th
1998–99Arizona State12–156–12T-6th
1999–00Arizona State14–157–117thWNIT 1st Round
2000–01Arizona State20–1112–6T-1stNCAA First Round

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I wouldn't call year 3 for Geno bad. CTT is a good call, good job.

I didn't look up every coach I could think of, but year 3 or 4 is usually when it starts to get better if it's gonna happen I think.

Or if you're Mulkey things instantly get better wherever you go. She's a magician.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
If you rephrased that to "3 bad years," believe it or not, Geno would qualify:

1985–86Connecticut12–154–127th
1986–87Connecticut14–139–77th
1987–88Connecticut17–119–75th
1988–89Connecticut24–613–21stNCAA First Round

There was a mild but discernible upward trajectory in years 1-3, but really didn't look all the promising until the Huskies exploded in year four.

ETA: Charli Turner Thorne's newly retired ears were burning, because she's actually a decent example of the fifth year success story:

1996–97Arizona State9–193–159th
1997–98Arizona State10–176–12T-7th
1998–99Arizona State12–156–12T-6th
1999–00Arizona State14–157–117thWNIT 1st Round
2000–01Arizona State20–1112–6T-1stNCAA First Round
Oh come on. Do you have any idea what Connecticut was like before Geno arrived? Geno's first 3 years were not "bad years" considering where the program was when he arrived.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have to disagree. When a coach craters a program, you have to move on. Same deal here w/ Washington and Wynn. Some wanted to see her get a 5th year. I was not one of those. Of course I can't possibly know for sure, because it didn't happen, but I have just about 100% confidence that she would not have turned a corner or shown any kind of significant improvement if she was still coaching in Seattle.

Virginia isn't my team, so it really doesn't matter to me, but IMO Thompson has been given ample time to show she's just not gonna get it done.
I liked Wynn but she couldn’t get wins or players. Long Beach isn’t the Pac 12. USC passed on her and she ended up at Washington. I don’t think things would have been different but you never know. USC better place to recruit

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My understanding is that UVA came pretty close to getting Dawn when Boyle left. Then SC made an offer she couldn’t refuse… essentially a contract for life (or as long as she wanted it).
This is going to be a long response but this is a good summation of the situation, and tbh some of this info I didn't know until I read about it on our On3 site:

In 2011 Dawn's own former HC, Debbie Ryan, resigned as UVA's HC. The AD at that time was Craig Littlepage. While he did speak with Dawn about the vacancy, it was basically for optics only and she was never actually seriously considered for the position at all. Dawn said it "left a sour taste in my mouth" and it resulted in a breakdown of any relationship she had previously had with UVA. The AD that caused the rift retired in 2017 and Carla Williams, who remains in the position, was hired as AD. Williams and Dawn are close friends and Williams helped repair most of the damage that Littlepage caused in 2011. In 2018 the HC that Littlepage hired instead of Dawn, Coach Boyles, retired and Dawn was contacted about the position. Dawn did speak with UVA about the position but declined. It is believed that she did provide input as to who the new hire should be, however. UVA ended up hiring Tina Thompson and as we all know, she has now been terminated as HC. Of course it is almost a guaranteed certainty that AD Williams will contact Dawn about the vacancy and I'm relatively certain Dawn will agree to speak with them. It is doubtful that Dawn is interested in the position, however, and it is far more likely that she again provides input and perspective on possible replacements for Thompson. A name that is thought to be likely to emerge is former Gamecock assistant and former Mississippi State HC Nikki McCray-Pinson IF Nikki believes that returning to the coaching ranks is okay health-wise.

End of mini-novella. LOL.

Reaction Score
This is going to be a long response but this is a good summation of the situation, and tbh some of this info I didn't know until I read about it on our On3 site:

In 2011 Dawn's own former HC, Debbie Ryan, resigned as UVA's HC. The AD at that time was Craig Littlepage. While he did speak with Dawn about the vacancy, it was basically for optics only and she was never actually seriously considered for the position at all. Dawn said it "left a sour taste in my mouth" and it resulted in a breakdown of any relationship she had previously had with UVA. The AD that caused the rift retired in 2017 and Carla Williams, who remains in the position, was hired as AD. Williams and Dawn are close friends and Williams helped repair most of the damage that Littlepage caused in 2011. In 2018 the HC that Littlepage hired instead of Dawn, Coach Boyles, retired and Dawn was contacted about the position. Dawn did speak with UVA about the position but declined. It is believed that she did provide input as to who the new hire should be, however. UVA ended up hiring Tina Thompson and as we all know, she has now been terminated as HC. Of course it is almost a guaranteed certainty that AD Williams will contact Dawn about the vacancy and I'm relatively certain Dawn will agree to speak with them. It is doubtful that Dawn is interested in the position, however, and it is far more likely that she again provides input and perspective on possible replacements for Thompson. A name that is thought to be likely to emerge is former Gamecock assistant and former Mississippi State HC Nikki McCray-Pinson IF Nikki believes that returning to the coaching ranks is okay health-wise.

Moral of the story don’t follow Dawn’s input if she recommended Thompson

Reaction Score
We all know Dawn isn't going anywhere. Also if NMP gets a head coaching job a UVA then they may as well have kept Thompson.

Virginia may not be a threat to get back to the top of the ACC quickly but they have the resources to be a better program than they've been if the AD is willing to commit to the WBB. Thompson likely wasn't going to get better in year 5 so it was probably the right decision.

Reaction Score
Technically she only had three years. But I would have given her another year or two to see what develops. Nobody knows what would have happened if she was given one more year or two. May have been the same or things may have improved. They gave Joanne Boyle seven years of mediocrity.
Why? Her team quit last year and she had cancelled games this year in mysterious ways. She can't recruit. She can't coach. This was a disaster hire from the start.

She was an assistant for a person that couldn't coach. She got that job for one reason. She's Tina Thompson.

Reaction Score

lol, UVA didn't hire anyone "instead" of Dawn.

Reaction Score
Moral of the story don’t follow Dawn’s input if she recommended Thompson
Certainly cannot argue the point that Thompson's time at UVA was woefully underwhelming. Iirc she had previously coached at Clemson and her results there were similar to what she did at UVA.

Reaction Score
lol, UVA didn't hire anyone "instead" of Dawn.
I guess Dawn made that up? She stated as much when she recently had Carla on her podcast.

ETA: She also discusses it in her book. But what would she know, I guess.....

Reaction Score
I liked Wynn but she couldn’t get wins or players. Long Beach isn’t the Pac 12. USC passed on her and she ended up at Washington. I don’t think things would have been different but you never know. USC better place to recruit
Wynn said she didn't want to recruit "star" players while at Washington. She got her wish and now she and her husband are out of jobs.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Wynn said she didn't want to recruit "star" players while at Washington. She got her wish and now she and her husband are out of jobs.
That was so mind numbingly dumb. Melgoza accidentally turned into a star (but Jody didn't recruit her, so she's safe on that one). As few conference games as Wynn managed to win, the number would've been pretty close to zero w/out Amber being there. To look at the roster during her tenure, and most of what's still there, it's like she was recruiting on a Big West level. No coach could win in the Pac 12 with that type of talent.

Reaction Score
Why? Her team quit last year and she had cancelled games this year in mysterious ways. She can't recruit. She can't coach. This was a disaster hire from the start.

She was an assistant for a person that couldn't coach. She got that job for one reason. She's Tina Thompson.
Does anyone know of a team that quit (Covid) last year that had a good season this year? I don’t think Duke had a good year. It was more disappointing than good the way they finished. They were one of Boston Colleges easiest conference wins at Duke. No energy.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Does anyone know of a team that quit (Covid) last year that had a good season this year? I don’t think Duke had a good year. It was more disappointing than good the way they finished. They were one of Boston Colleges easiest conference wins at Duke. No energy.

Come on now.. Let's leave Duke outta this..let's focus on UVA

FB_IMG_1629925304073.jpg

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Was she considered when Debbie Ryan retired? If not, I bet she might not have a good relationship.
It was a lukewarm consideration and UVA isn't willing to put forth the necessary funds for a top WBB program.

Reaction Score
It was a lukewarm consideration and UVA isn't willing to put forth the necessary funds for a top WBB program.
I’m not sure that not being willing to put forth $$ is true. Let’s wait and see what happens.

Reaction Score
Dawn isn’t going to Virginia. Her entire family has moved to SC, she’s got a terrific contract, the #1 team in the nation that will start next season as a top 5 team. This isn’t a Kim Mulkey situation where she feels like SC doesn’t appreciate her. She gets pretty much whatever she wants for her team. I just don’t see it. Down the road? Maybe there would be a reason if things aren’t what they are right now. But I just don’t see it at this time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom