Virginia Game Thread | Page 28 | The Boneyard

Virginia Game Thread

Reaction Score
I know they have a win, I am just very down now and threw my thoughts out about my feelings about this game and expecting a much more competitive game from UCONN.

Our opening drive and the tip catch on 3rd down that helped set up their 2nd TD changed the complexion of the game. We need to learn to finish out our drives and when we do the confidence will ooze over to the defense. Still have to straighten out assignments, etc. but we never got the injection of momentum we were craving early in the game.

Reaction Score
We also still have to give Lashlee time to sort out what plays to use, what personnel to use, who's the go-to-guy, etc. At least this game we got a lot of work on that and we will be well prepared for 4th downs the rest of the season.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
We also still have to give Lashlee time to sort out what plays to use, what personnel to use, who's the go-to-guy, etc. At least this game we got a lot of work on that and we will be well prepared for 4th downs the rest of the season.

Lashlee had very little to do with the loss. I hope you understand that. Almost 450 yards of offense, 5 yards per carry, 3 touchdowns, and two turnovers in the red zone.

This loss was not due to our offense, folks...

Reaction Score
Who here misses LB's like Lutrus and Bama Wilson CB's like Gratz, Byron Jones, Wreh-Wilson? Edsall can recruit ... give him time. He is working with players who are content with losing and don't have the physical and mental strength to win. Let this year play out ... we can already see the talent and speed difference of some of the freshmen players Edsall brought in.

Reaction Score
Lashlee had very little to do with the loss. I hope you understand that. Almost 450 yards of offense, 5 yards per carry, 3 touchdowns, and two turnovers in the red zone.

Did I say that? lol

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

Nice numbers. Scoring is good too.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Did I say that? lol

Not exactly. ;)

I was just commenting on the fact that I believe he's already sorted out a lot of what you want him to sort out.

He's taken the worst offense in all of college football (128 out of 128), lost two of his starting linemen to graduation, lost our number 1 receiver, and he STILL has them playing at a level that should earn them between 31 - 35 points in this game (depending on red zone outcomes).

That's nothing short of miraculous. It just gets lost in the story of how bad our defense was...

Reaction Score
Our opening drive and the tip catch on 3rd down that helped set up their 2nd TD changed the complexion of the game. We need to learn to finish out our drives and when we do the confidence will ooze over to the defense. Still have to straighten out assignments, etc. but we never got the injection of momentum we were craving early in the game.

No doubt about it. they had a lot of luck on their side to win this game. Uconn had 2 good drives snuffed out by the intercept and then the fumble and also had a drive stalled at their 33 yd line. I am a little surprised that a HCRE team would have fumble troubles. He was a stickler on taking care of the ball, but I guess with Diaco's recruits it will be a work in progress.

Reaction Score
Not exactly. ;)

I was just commenting on the fact that I believe he's already sorted out a lot of what you want him to sort out.

He's taken the worst offense in all of college football (128 out of 128), lost two of his starting linemen to graduation, lost our number 1 receiver, and he STILL has them playing at a level that should earn them between 31 - 35 points in this game (depending on red zone outcomes).

That's nothing short of miraculous. It just gets lost in the story of how bad our defense was...
IMG_0958.PNG

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not exactly. ;)

The competition hasn't been stellar but they have moved the ball with an awful offensive line.

The defense is so bad... wait until they play someone decent. A good offense could run up 800 yards on them.

Reaction Score
Not exactly. ;)

My thing was more about having those 2-3 go-to plays in his back pocket to help us convert some more of those 3/4th downs. That type of thing comes through actually playing and running the plays during a live game. I expect we will be better for it the rest of the season. I liked the play calling and the progression our drives were taking we all just need to get on the same page in the RZ and find those money plays.

Reaction Score
Not going for the FG and 3 bad PAT's = 6 points
They went for 2 the 3 times they scored. Should they just give up a point down 31? I only saw the last 16-17 minutes. There was no point in kicking. They need to work on being able to get a 2-pt conversion in case they need it some day.

Reaction Score
The competition hasn't been stellar but they have moved the ball with an awful offensive line.

The defense is so bad... wait until they play someone decent. A good offense could run up 800 yards on them.
After watching bits and pieces of the Memphis game and now the SMU game... I think 800 yards is conservative.

Reaction Score
I said the same thing after Holy Cross. This team is worse than the team last year. I've seen nothing in the first two games that would make me say the team is improving or that the coaching change has made any difference. At least the defense was respectable last year. Now they suck on both sides of the ball. Let's see if this team gives up like last year's team did at the end of the season. Give the new staff a chance blah blah blah. After last year's team hit rock bottom I didn't think think things could get worse. Oh well. We will see...

2 games man. 2 games! We have personnel issues that don't magically disappear in 8 months.

Reaction Score

Maybe, maybe not. Things could get better, as they learn this defense and become more confident. Hopefully, it will become decent this year and get better and better over the next couple years, through recruiting the type of players needed for this defense.

Reaction Score
2 games man. 2 games! We have personnel issues that don't magically disappear in 8 months.
I am just taking about what I've seen so far. I am not saying things cannot get better (it can't get much worse). But to those who are stretching to see a silver lining or who think this team can get to a bowl this year are fooling themselves. I am not saying the staff cannot turn this around. I am hopeful they will. I am a realist. So far the team has taken a step backwards. As for a bowl game this year, look at UConn's opponents today: Memphis beats a ranked team, ECU and SMU are winning against ranked teams. BC is beating ND. I am not saying those games are wins for those teams but the opponents are competing agianst better teams. It's not looking good for 2017. That's all.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Maybe, maybe not. Things could get better, as they learn this defense and become more confident. Hopefully, it will become decent this year and get better and better over the next couple years, through recruiting the type of players needed for this defense.

Over the next couple of years sure.

This season they ain't gonna stop no one.

Reaction Score
Over the next couple of years sure.

This season they ain't gonna stop no one.
Probably not next year either. We need an entire overhaul of players, Diaco was recruiting sloths.

Reaction Score
Sherriffs had a typical Sherriffs game. Had a favorite receiver. Didn't move through his progression. Threw a pick, had a fumble. Ran well on occasion. If the past is prologue, he will get beat up and that will impact his effectiveness as a runner. BTW, according to Edsall, if Sherriff had lofted the ball, they wouldn't have been a pick. It wasn't all Hergy's fault.

But this debacle was NOT the fault of anyone on the offense.

Reaction Score
if we kick our two field goals and 3 PAT's that's 27-38. Certainly a more respectable and competitive score. There are never any guarantees when you look at those 2 turnovers in the redzone so I won't chalk up touchdowns.. but at worst it would have been 33-38. If we punt instead of go for it on fourth and nine at the fifty.. maybe VA doesn't score a TD on that drive. Maybe they do.. no telling and quite possible given how they moved the ball on us. Just so many head scratching decisions that snowballed into one another and let to the scoring gap. We could have been right in there in a shootout. All things considered, the Offense moved the ball today. Just two very costly turnovers in the red zone.

Reaction Score
Going for it on 4th down was a function of score and momentum on the road (and potentially and injury to the long-snapper). Even end up with FGs instead of turnovers the first two red-zone drives and it's 7-6 (or 10-6 if you want to give UVA the score off the second turnover). At that point you see a FG attempt instead of going for it on the fourth drive. (Assuming the long-snapper injury mentioned in the broadcast wasn't the reason for all the fourth down attempts)

I'm not worried about those decisions.

Reaction Score
You have to consider game situation at the time. Can't just add the lost points up later and say they should have kicked those FGs/PATs. Like Edsall said in the presser, we weren't going to win that game with FGs.

I would have tried maybe one of the FGs just for the psychological aspect of getting the goose egg off the scoreboard but that's not Edsall's style. Didn't have a problem with the other non-kicking decisions considering the game situations.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom