Violations? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Violations?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I think most players would report such a thing, they are, after all, concerned about their eligibility and it would be much worse later if they did something that turned out to be a no-no.

Yes, lots of things happen. I have previously shared the story of an incoming Rutgers player who was on-campus going to a NY Liberty game on a bus with the fan club. That was a violation, resolved by getting a check from the player's mother for the bus fare, tickets and lunch and swearing that no one purchased anything for her on the trip (which was true, the fans knew they couldn't). We were told it was one of 3 "minor" violations Rutgers was reporting to the NCAA, the others were not specified as they didn't involve fans.

As long as things are minor and self-reported, its all good. More major violations, which are also often self reported to the NCAA, are where the problems are. Typically, the minor violations are not publicized, I was surprised these were. Perhaps it was the number of them (which sounds a bit high) or more likely an effort to "teach" the public.

Another Rutgers one was the similar to several of the UConn violations relating to participating in a (sanctioned) league. Rutgers had a player do so, without getting permission at all, and she was suspended a couple games. That said, I can only imagine the punishment at the time if it had been "unsanctioned".

Reaction Score
A booster is a member of “a group that supports athletic teams”. Therefore all Boneyard members are to be considered Boosters??

Reaction Score
One would hope the NCAA would have bigger fish to fry than these extremely minor things. ..... Especially their own.

Reaction Score
A booster is a member of “a group that supports athletic teams”. Therefore all Boneyard members are to be considered Boosters??
Probably safest to assume that, yes.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Eyes playing tricks. Volnation? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
will the Ncaa give Uconn a punishment? When will they decide?

No, there is never any punishment and rarely any response at all for these minor self-reported violations. There would only be some action if there were repeated violations of something within UConn's control.

Reaction Score
Pray tell, how does this put the athlete in an awkward position? The player should simply decline the money and politely explain to the fan why the money cannot be accepted. Or accept the money and give it to a charity being careful to document the transaction and report it. I'm sure all of these players are capable of determining the correct choice. This is not awkward at all. They should feel good about educating a fan!

$40 dollars! What a cheapskate! :D
How often in the past has UConn Admin told fans to not give anything to POTENTIAL recruits. It would appear something minor causes problems far above the dollar value.
I agree the Student Athlete are taught the rules and it should be uncomfortable probably but if she just speaks "UConn/the NCAA won't allow me to accept".

Reaction Score
will the Ncaa give Uconn a punishment? When will they decide?
Penalties most often included education for those involved and athletes being ruled ineligible until the violation was rectified.
This is what the article stated.

Reaction Score
View attachment 76940
So, if you’ve ever made a seat donation, ever been a season ticket holder, or even if you graduated from the University of Connecticut, you are a booster.

Maybe an easy rule of thumb is if you think you are a booster, you probably are and if you don’t think you are a booster, you still probably are.
Never thought of myself as a booster but I plead guilty of all four of the listed offenses, however, other than being a message board contributor on a MSST board my offenses were years ago.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Never thought of myself as a booster but I plead guilty of all four of the listed offenses, however, other than being a message board contributor on a MSST board my offenses were years ago.
Yeah, the rule is amazingly broad. It is good to have these threads every once in a while to remind people of just how broad it is. Amazingly, even something as simple as handing a kid a homemade poster has been viewed as a violation. Yet UNC athletes getting grades from no-show, no work classes is fine. Go figure.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I suspect MSU’s policy is similar to UConn’s that if you have ever been a booster, you’re forever a booster. However, I thought I’d check MSU’s Compliance policy at their website Compliance - Boosters, Alumni & Fans but found the rules page for boosters defunct. Because I like you, I’ll forgo the SEC jokes :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom