Violations? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Violations?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I was told by Compliance I’m a booster because I “advance the interest of UConn basketball” or something to that effect.

Some info from UConn. Compliance Donor (PDF) - University of Connecticut Athletics

the bottom line is a booster is what the NCAA says it is (today). It’s subject to change.
88C63B1A-6154-4721-B2D7-2EA12D8C5573.jpeg

So, if you’ve ever made a seat donation, ever been a season ticket holder, or even if you graduated from the University of Connecticut, you are a booster.

Maybe an easy rule of thumb is if you think you are a booster, you probably are and if you don’t think you are a booster, you still probably are.

Reaction Score
View attachment 76940
So, if you’ve ever made a seat donation, ever been a season ticket holder, or even if you graduated from the University of Connecticut, you are a booster.

Maybe an easy rule of thumb is if you think you are a booster, you probably are and if you don’t think you are a booster, you still probably are.
Learning never stops. Here I am thinking a booster was the guy in the barbershop trying to get me to buy a purse or pair of pumps for my wife. Of course, I told him I'm broke.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
View attachment 76940

The member of “a group that supports athletic teams” is very squishy and way open to interpretation

Reaction Score
Pray tell, how does this put the athlete in an awkward position? The player should simply decline the money and politely explain to the fan why the money cannot be accepted. Or accept the money and give it to a charity being careful to document the transaction and report it. I'm sure all of these players are capable of determining the correct choice. This is not awkward at all. They should feel good about educating a fan!

$40 dollars! What a cheapskate! :D

I don't see it as that cut and dry. We're talking teenagers/young adults who are figuring out things and how to handle different situations. It's easy to assume that the player could simply do so, however they may not have felt comfortable in doing so.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I don't see it as that cut and dry. We're talking teenagers/young adults who are figuring out things and how to handle different situations. It's easy to assume that the player could simply do so, however they may not have felt comfortable in doing so.
They are young college women with a more than adequate IQ. If they cannot figure this out God help them in LIFE. Stop treating them as children. I'm sure CD at a minimum has reviewed such situations. Plus for all we know the player did the right thing which is why it was reported.

Reaction Score
They are young college women with a more than adequate IQ. If they cannot figure this out God help them in LIFE. Stop treating them as children. I'm sure CD at a minimum has reviewed such situations. Plus for all we know the player did the right thing which is why it was reported.
People can be socially awkward as adults without it being obvious to the naked eye. I know people much older than me who struggle with situations where they have to politely decline something.

Let's just chalk it up to "agree to disagree" as we have different perspectives on this.

Reaction Score
how do you know CD was the player?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
With NIL, I am surprised the NCAA is worrying about 40 bucks.
NIL aside: The NCAA has always worried about student athletes' getting money, no matter how trifling the amount. While I was at SVC we qualified for the NCAA National Championship Bowling tournament. Father Mo, our coach, received a letter from the NCAA saying we were disqualified because we had gambled. We were stunned. Gambling? Father Mo discovered after we won the regional tournament which qualified us; one of our teammates was asked how we remained so poised throughout the tournament? He disclosed we bowled in a men's scratch handicap league. It was a highly competitive league. To feel even more pressure during each game we would put 50 cents into the "pot." High game won the "pot." Gambling!!! The team that finished second to us called the NCAA.

Epilog: The NAIA quickly invited us to play in their tournament. Our first series was against Univ. of Wisconsin who was rated as the best team in country. Their anchor bowler already had won the NCAA singles championship. He then went to Paris and won the world amateur championship. Why were they in NAIA tournament? Well they bowled in a highly competitive men's scratch league etc., etc., etc. True story!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
how do you know CD was the player?
See this is why we should stop with the CDing every player with CD initials. I was referencing THE CD, Chris Dailey. She and others at UCONN no doubt have educated the players regarding such a circumstance of gifting from a misguided fan. If players can make decisions regarding NILs, then surely they know how to handle this situation.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
yea there's also Doty, idk why people just can't write out the person's name.
Doing so would eliminate confusion and misunderstanding as in this case. The poster “assumed” his readers knew the “CD” he was referring to.

Reaction Score
See this is why we should stop with the CDing every player with CD initials. I was referencing THE CD, Chris Dailey. She and others at UCONN no doubt have educated the players regarding such a circumstance of gifting from a misguided fan. If players can make decisions regarding NILs, then surely they know how to handle this situation.
Chris Dailey has been 'CD' for a lonnnngggggggg time.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If posters were allowed to use the numerical suffix without being subject to auto-editing, it would resolve the problem. I still don't understand why that has been (in effect) prohibited.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Yes, but not to readers/ visitors that are new to the Boneyard. If you want EVERYONE who would read your posts to completely understand your meaning and thoughts, avoid the use of initials. ;) It only takes a moment to spell out the name.

CL82

Reaction Score

CL82

Reaction Score
The site owner wants us to call players by their names
Personally, I don’t mind the auto change feature. It allows the poster to use shorthand and people to still read the full name. Everyone wins.

JMO

Reaction Score
From what I read, the one's associated with the WBB team are minor.

The CashApp transfer one though, that sucks. I'm sure the fan meant well, but I'm shaking my head there too because it puts an athlete in an awkward position.
Cash in a plain envelope, cash in a plain envelope.... Didn't we learn anything from the well-known cheaters? Technology is not your friend....

***Before I get a time out from Admin, I'm joking. I don't support breaking the rules, just pointing out how easy it is to break them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom