Violations? | The Boneyard

Violations?

Reaction Score
From what I read, the one's associated with the WBB team are minor.

The CashApp transfer one though, that sucks. I'm sure the fan meant well, but I'm shaking my head there too because it puts an athlete in an awkward position.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I confess that I first thought all 15 were on the women's program. Somewhat
relieved that 11 are from other sports.

Having said that...whether level 3 [minor] or not...I'd rather zero...period.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Hit my news feed…..
Mine too but I decided not to post.

Well, as long as it’s up, which of you idiots Venmo’d somebody 40 bucks for their birthday?

Reaction Score
I guess we all have to be careful. I paid for breakfast at Cracker Barrel for some State students who I believe were athletes on Spring break. I did not know any of them but just wanted to be nice to MSST students.

Reaction Score
With NIL, I am surprised the NCAA is worrying about 40 bucks.
It is not the amount of money, the money it self. The image of impropriety to the legals and some public is impropriety. Corruption is seen to not be an avalanche but a drip drip drip. Yet as a parent, I feel the kids frustration. You can argue the point, it won't change.

Reaction Score
Penalize that fan.
Depends on whether the fan is a “booster”. I’ve had season football tickets several years ending when Spurrier left. I’m a “booster.” I would be disassociated from the team and could not be allowed to attend games. Just some fan who attends some games is not a booster.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
From what I read, the one's associated with the WBB team are minor.

The CashApp transfer one though, that sucks. I'm sure the fan meant well, but I'm shaking my head there too because it puts an athlete in an awkward position.
Pray tell, how does this put the athlete in an awkward position? The player should simply decline the money and politely explain to the fan why the money cannot be accepted. Or accept the money and give it to a charity being careful to document the transaction and report it. I'm sure all of these players are capable of determining the correct choice. This is not awkward at all. They should feel good about educating a fan!

$40 dollars! What a cheapskate! :D

Reaction Score
So, let me see if I got this straight.
Error 1: Unnamed player accepts $40 gift
Error 2: Player doesn’t recognize error 1
Error 3: Player doesn’t correct error 1 or error 2.
Sounds like the outrageous four stroke penalty that the LPGA imposed on Lexi Thompson for placing her golf ball behind her ball mark 1/4 inch off location, (2 stroke penalty) and not updating her scorecard to identify the 2 stroke penalty (another 2
stroke penalty).
Error 4: The NCAA did not learn anything from the LPGA occurrence.
Error 5: The NCAA did not recognize they didn’t learn anything from the LPGA occurrence
Error 6: The NCAA has not corrected their outdated rules to bring them into line with the modern world of college sports (NIL, new technology, etc.)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The concern is that both a fan and a player engaged in prohibited conduct putting the player’s eligibility at risk. UConn, like all D1 schools has a compliance department that provides guidance to all athletes on what they can and cannot accept whether it is related to NIL or not.

The fan may have been completely ignorant of the rules. But even if that was the case, any relationship between a fan and a player where the fan feels it’s OK to send money to a player for their birthday or any other occasion is troubling.

Since we will never know who the player is, we don’t know if they are still with the team. In any event, I would expect that Geno and UConn’s compliance department will reinforce the rules to everyone on the team.

Reaction Score
So what are the penalties for this? How did the school even find out that one of its students was sent $40 through Venmo?

CL82

Reaction Score
Depends on whether the fan is a “booster”. I’ve had season football tickets several years ending when Spurrier left. I’m a “booster.” I would be disassociated from the team and could not be allowed to attend games. Just some fan who attends some games is not a booster.
I’m pretty sure they are. It’s been a while since I looked at the definition of booster, but it was pretty broad.

CL82

Reaction Score
So what are the penalties for this? How did the school even find out that one of its students was sent $40 through Venmo?
The school found out and it self-reported. By the way it was Cash App not Venmo. I just thought my post sounded funnier using Venmo.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I’m pretty sure they are. It’s been a while since I looked at the definition of booster, but it was pretty broad.
I was told by Compliance I’m a booster because I “advance the interest of UConn basketball” or something to that effect.

Some info from UConn. Compliance Donor (PDF) - University of Connecticut Athletics

the bottom line is a booster is what the NCAA says it is (today). It’s subject to change.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom