Villanova | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Villanova

Reaction Score
What, if anything is Nova nervous about re: UConn?
Mostly self inflicted errors. Poor shooting. Dry spells of not executing. Nova won’t take UConn lightly. UConn is capable of an upset.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Just watched Divicenzio (sp?) torch the Cs off the bench. My Nova hate intensifying.

Reaction Score
Periods of total chaos. The unexpected. Control the tempo. Feed Akok and Sid above the rim.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think that as analytics-based teams like Villanova and Memphis become more prevalent, you will see more matchup zones. I don't know why we don't try one out. If teams are not going to take mid-range shots, there is no need to defend the mid-range.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think that as analytics-based teams like Villanova and Memphis become more prevalent, you will see more matchup zones. I don't know why we don't try one out. If teams are not going to take mid-range shots, there is no need to defend the mid-range.

Hurley having his bigs chase non shooting bigs outside kills us. I think we need a matchup zone in our toolbox at least to give opponents something to think about.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Hurley having his bigs chase non shooting bigs outside kills us. I think we need a matchup zone in our toolbox at least to give opponents something to think about.

You only need to defend two spots against analytics based teams: the rim and the perimeter. You can leave everything in between undefended. With a matchup zone, you switch on all perimeter screens, and if they beat you to the basket, have someone at the basket waiting for them.. No need to defend the pull up or someone curling under for a 15 foot jumper.

Reaction Score
I wish we could run some type of play like Daniel Hamilton and Brimah used to run with Hamilton getting to the lane and throwing a lob to Brimah. I could see Bouk and Akok running that. Something to create offense for Akok or a pull up for Bouk. We never seem to have much midrange. Either 3's or Carlton down low.

Reaction Score
Match-up zone isn’t necessarily an easy D to run and effectively guard the perimeter, especially when an O is capable of running a 5 out set efficiently. Nova has carved up some zones.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You only need to defend two spots against analytics based teams: the rim and the perimeter. You can leave everything in between undefended. With a matchup zone, you switch on all perimeter screens, and if they beat you to the basket, have someone at the basket waiting for them.. No need to defend the pull up or someone curling under for a 15 foot jumper.

Agreed. We are saying the same thing. It is clear that teams have scouted us and learned how to neutralize our shot blocking by dragging defenders outside.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I wish we could run some type of play like Daniel Hamilton and Brimah used to run with Hamilton getting to the lane and throwing a lob to Brimah. I could see Bouk and Akok running that. Something to create offense for Akok or a pull up for Bouk. We never seem to have much midrange. Either 3's or Carlton down low.
If Gilbert had a floater or a 10 foot pull-up he’d easily score 15 or so ppg and it’d pull another defender making things easier for our bigs.

Reaction Score
This is not a great Nova team, but what are we? We can’t shoot no 25% from 3 for sure. Would love to see big games from Gilbert and Carlton to reset the season.

Reaction Score
I am going into this game knowing we will lose. Nova is too skilled for us. a WIN for the program is if we battle for 40 minutes, show some execution on offense, and string together decent defensive stops.

Reaction Score
What should be our game plan going into Saturday? How can we upset them? Depaul was able to keep it close. Any thoughts?
This is a game where UConn can exploit this matchup if we execute on both ends.

Nova has a patient, efficient offense which can hopefully be startled by UConn's energy on D and maybe a taste of that press we saw at the end of the 2nd half vs Wichita State.

Nova isn't known for their defense (80th KenPom, which is 2nd worse amongst KenPom's 30 top teams), so hopefully they can build from the momentum from against a better defensive team (Wichita State 20th in KenPom D) where the starting guard trio played very well.

Personally, between the athleticism of Nova's starting frontcourt with Robinson-Earl at 6'9 232 and Bey at 6'8 216, might not be the worst idea for Josh to fade into a support role for this one, despite his good Wichita State game.

Instead, lead the offensive attack between Vital/Bouk/AG and then have the more athletic trio of Akok/Whaley/Sid battle Bey and J R-E.

Either way, pumped for this game!

Reaction Score
Personally, between the athleticism of Nova's starting frontcourt with Robinson-Earl at 6'9 232 and Bey at 6'8 216, might not be the worst idea for Josh to fade into a support role for this one, despite his good Wichita State game.
Josh's double double might look alright but he was horrendous in the Wichita State game.

Reaction Score
They it over way too much, and not defend the three well enough. but i felt like they played hard on defense, nova was just clutch

Reaction Score
This is not a great Nova team, but what are we? We can’t shoot no 25% from 3 for sure. Would love to see big games from Gilbert and Carlton to reset the season.
I’m replying to my own pregame comment here. I was right about us not shooting 25% from 3. We shot 13%. It’s completely unacceptable. Seriously there are Y league and JV high school teams with better shooters, and no argument about being tightly guarded because we had many wide open attempts as did Nova unfortunately, but Jay Wright gets shooters. Until Hurley gets some shooters this team will continue with these results.

Reaction Score
I’m replying to my own pregame comment here. I was right about us not shooting 25% from 3. We shot 13%. It’s completely unacceptable. Seriously there are Y league and JV high school teams with better shooters, and no argument about being tightly guarded because we had many wide open attempts as did Nova unfortunately, but Jay Wright gets shooters. Until Hurley gets some shooters this team will continue with these results.
Coach em up

Reaction Score
Coach em up
Akok, Adams, Bouknight, came here with a rep as shooters. All have little confidence as of now. Adams has gone backwards recently.
We know Polley could shoot and without him and the youngsters stepping up We’re down to CV
Vital certainly can shoot but he seems to be our only current option. That’s tough if your name isn’t Kemba.
I think Gilbert can shoot but he is much better being set up than off his own dribble. Unlike Kemba , Bazz, or even Adams .
I want to see him play a little two.
and play some catch and shoot with Gaffney at the one. I think that helps Gaffney also.

Reaction Score
I believe Bouknight is a shooter just needs to get open. Again he comes off of picks and he's still guarded almost always. Not sure whether the plays are easily red or our picks/timing suck. I will say this I watched a couple of plays being set up yesterday seemingly for him and he's standing along for 8-10 seconds not moving hardly until people are getting ready. It seems those that are run for him take too long to get set and are easily figured out by the defense. He comes as a shooter and will be a shooter in time I believe.

Adams came as a shooter, not sure from who's mouth but hasn't looked the part at all. Yeah for 4-5 games early this year but the other 45 or so he has played here I don't have confidence when the ball goes up. Akok really didn't come in as a consistent threat just a guy who could make the occasional 3 and that's what we see.

We need guys who can shoot it, that's what they do. Hopefully Coles can, Bouk gets there and we bring in 1 or 2 guys who can spot up or Polley is healthy immediately. In desperate need of shooters.

Reaction Score
Is Nova any better than memphis, Houston and Wichita this year?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom