Villanova | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Villanova

Reaction Score
We gotta shoot 40% from 3. Less than 8 turnovers. Carlton and Gilbert show up. Bouk breaks out. That should do it.
Akok sets a season high with blocks and is, overall, a terror down low.
Carlton has no botched dunk attempts (Xavier) and pulls down 10 boards, at least.

Reaction Score
One advantage I can see for us is I think gilbert and Vital can make their ball handlers life’s a living hell with onball defense
I'm worried Gillespie will destroy Gilbert. I rarely go into a game thinking we really don't have a chance but Nova on the road is hard to convince me we have any real chance.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
The last two seasons Nova smashed us by 20+ pts at XL and MSG - it wasn't pretty. There wasn't any mental toughness to prevent those avalanches. It won't get much easier this time in Philly. UConn needs to defend EVERY possession without short-cuts and not let the offense affect their mentality on defense. It would also help to make some outside shots and score some in transition. I don't think its about a player (X and/or Y) stepping up to win the game - I think its about them playing together well as a team (sharing the ball, defense, boxing out) .. If UConn can keep it close to the end, then who knows.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
I'm worried Gillespie will destroy Gilbert. I rarely go into a game thinking we really don't have a chance but Nova on the road is hard to convince me we have any real chance.
I couldn't hit the like button but I do agree 100%, I will be watching to the end like I always do but I'm not hopeful, just don't want it to be the bitter end

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
We gotta shoot 40% from 3. Less than 8 turnovers. Carlton and Gilbert show up. Bouk breaks out. That should do it.
3/4 of these things could happen. There is a better chance of it being 100 degrees out tomorrow in CT than there is for us to have fewer than 8 turnovers.

Reaction Score

I felt the opposite but I guess every time I watch Gillespie he plays badly and I've seen him be bothered by a quick, little guy like Gilbert last season..But I've only seen him play a handful of times.

Reaction Score
Also room to worry about Bey and Robinson Earl

Reaction Score
Clearly, that's Jay's offense. It's what I think Dan wants to run but doesn't have the horses to execute.

As for UConn winning, I think strobe lights on the Villanova offense end would be my first choice. Barring that, I think UConn has to pressure the shooters and play a one man zone on the rim. It's the only way to defend that offense properly. If we see Carlton and Akok chasing outside we will get torched by those drives to the rim.

Unfortunately, Hurley has given no indication that he's willing to leave a rim protector at home, and several opponents have exploited that.
If Nova is executing the result is pick your poison. Leaving a rim protector inside lets the 3s fly. If they fall it's difficult to keep up. JRE is not yet a steady outside threat, so Nova executing isn't a given.

Reaction Score
you need to full court press as much as possible. by far the weakest part of their game is inbounding and bringing it up against pressure

Reaction Score
you need to full court press as much as possible. by far the weakest part of their game is inbounding and bringing it up against pressure
giphy.gif

Reaction Score
Hate to say it but this has go down 17 early & play even the 2nd half written all over it. Hope I’m wrong!

Reaction Score
At large is already gone.
Most likely, but there are still 14 AAC games left on the schedule after we play Villanova. We would probably have to win at least 10-11 out of those 14 to be safely in. I just want to see how this team responds after the brutal loss vs Wichita St. Im nervous about the Villanova game because this team has played terrible in true road games. Hopefully they learned a lesson at Cincy and USF so they come out with a lot more intensity.

Reaction Score
We can't fold when they inevitably go on a run/take the lead. Need to show some mental toughness.

Reaction Score
Huskies need to drive more and not settle for trying to win this with outside shooting. Particularly Sid and Bouknight.

"They need to be drivers. They are doers. And that's what they need to do. They don't need to think. They need to drive. They need speed. They need go out there, and they need to rev their engines. They need to fire it up. They need to grab a hold of that line between speed and chaos, and they need to wrestle it to the ground like a demon cobra! And then, when the fear rises up in their bellies, they use it. And they know that fear is powerful, because it has been there for billions of years. And it is good. And they use it. And they ride it; they ride it like a skeleton horse through the gates of hell, and then they win, Boneyard. The Huskies WIN!"

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1) Get calls (need to have the 2 hand hand checks called on Nova)

2) Turnovers under 10

3) Make shots everywhere and at a 50% clip

4) Rebound the basketball and keep them off the offensive glass

5) Get calls (need to have the 2 hand hand checks called on Nova)

Reaction Score
1) Get calls (need to have the 2 hand hand checks called on Nova)

2) Turnovers under 10

3) Make shots everywhere and at a 50% clip

4) Rebound the basketball and keep them off the offensive glass

5) Get calls (need to have the 2 hand hand checks called on Nova)

Like the five D's in Dodgeball: Dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge.

Reaction Score
Huskies need to drive more and not settle for trying to win this with outside shooting. Particularly Sid and Bouknight.

They need to be drivers. They are doers. And that's what they need to do. They don't need to think. They need to drive. They need speed. They need go out there, and they need to rev their engines. They need to fire it up. They need to grab a hold of that line between speed and chaos, and they need to wrestle it to the ground like a demon cobra! And then, when the fear rises up in their bellies, they use it. And they know that fear is powerful, because it has been there for billions of years. And it is good. And they use it. And they ride it; they ride it like a skeleton horse through the gates of hell, and then they win, Boneyard. The Huskies WIN!
I just tried to read this post out loud to my wife and couldn't finish through the sobbing.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

They need to be drivers. They are doers. And that's what they need to do. They don't need to think. They need to drive. They need speed. They need go out there, and they need to rev their engines. They need to fire it up. They need to grab a hold of that line between speed and chaos, and they need to wrestle it to the ground like a demon cobra! And then, when the fear rises up in their bellies, they use it. And they know that fear is powerful, because it has been there for billions of years. And it is good. And they use it. And they ride it; they ride it like a skeleton horse through the gates of hell, and then they win, Boneyard. The Huskies WIN!
man, that is good! I got so fired up that I flew outta the chair, and drove hard (to the fridge,
to get a beer...)

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
man, that is good! I got so fired up that I flew outta the chair, and drove hard (to the fridge,
to get a beer...)
Got it, but did the beer get *you*?
Did the beer actually 'get' you?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
1. Need to give Gillespie as few open looks as humanly possible - switch AG and CV on and off on him and tire him out
2. Carlton and whoever plays the 4 need to keep their eyes on and be physical with Robinson-Earl and Bey They will suck the UConn bigs away from the basket. They will try to get JC in early foul trouble.
3. DH needs all focus on what is happening on the court and away from the officials - he is at a handicap coaching against Jay W
4. Cannot afford to mass substitution and end up with Gaff and Adams out there at the same time.
Nova is beatable but so many things have to go right for UConn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom